• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Mark Uribe

Mark Uribe

• ADC
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on Mar 13 2008, 06:50 AM, said:

I'm petitioning the Board to drop the JOPS circuit.  There are several valid reasons for its exclusion.

1. It's a fantasy track.  That in and of itself is enough to have it ditched when other fine GPL offerings of real-life, historical import could be used which are both challenging and fun to drive.  A few examples:

Aintree
Avus
Bridgehampton
Syracuse

There are lots more, of course.

2. The 'yump'.  @#$%^&*  A total blunder on the part of the GPL track builders/editors.  It introduces a phony element of difficulty and chance that is utterly unacceptable.

I will not participate in any event scheduled for it in future.

Preaching to the choir my brother. Although I'm not hell bent on ditching Jops, I will heartly agree that there are many many other tracks that are real with historic signifigance that I would rather see on the list before a fantasy track. In the words of Tony Soprano: 'Whada ya gonna do?"

As far as the 'yump' (? :blink: ?), well it is a fantasy track so.....the builders fantasized. But I understand what you mean.

I'm ok with it on or off the list as many other tracks, especially the longer circuits that I love, did make it on list. So I can tolerate Jops, but I would change it out for a real track in a heartbeat if it was up to me.
GPL Rank     +35.920
GPL 65v2 Rank     +26.098
GPL 66 Rank     +13.692
GPL 69 Rank     +65.124
GPL GT Rank     +55.942
GPL F2 Rank     +5.256
GPL 69X Rank     +51.527

#22 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,222 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

Quoted by Donnie:

"I'm petitioning the Board to drop the JOPS circuit."  

This is a bit of a tough one, Donnie. I'm sorry that you feel so negatively about Jops, in light of the fact that it seems to produce more positive comments than many of the venues we run. I do understand the hesitation at running a fantasy track; long-time ADC members have heard my reluctance before, with the exception of Thornham (although a fantasy track technically, it is based on real roads) and Road 67, which we ran for a short while because it was on one of the Ranks. But we did feel this one was an exception.

Personally, I do agree that the jump at Jops is a challenge, but no more so than the left-hand leap after Pflanzgarten at the Nordschleife, or even Flugplatz for that matter. And let's not forget Dear's Leap at Dundrod. I don't think the jump itself is unrealistic compared with those I've just mentioned. An example of a truly extreme jump is at Montlhery, and for that reason it's never made it on the schedule. Another one is at Watkins Glen '48. In both cases real tracks that are very unmanageable with those jumps.

For the record, we used to run Syracuse. Although well done, and rather fun to drive, one accident there due to those walls will create a bottleneck like no other; that resulted in it's demise from our calendar. As for Aintree, I would like to run it. It has significant importance, but suffers from some fps issues, if I remember correctly. Otherwise, it would likely already be on our calendar.

But, nothing is set in stone, and I welcome these kinds of discussions.  :thumbup:  As it has been in the past, if there is a significant case made by the membership to eliminate a track, of if a track has noted performance issues, then it will be removed from our calendar. I don't think that there will be much support for removing Jops however, because as I said before it gets a lot of unsolicited positive comments. But whatever the membership wants, we're flexible...

Fletch
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#23 MikeB

MikeB

GPL European/Australian Director

• ADC Admins
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

Donnie,

I am sorry to hear you are not going to run in the Oz race on Sunday, as you've become a regular of the small band that turn out and one less bod will be sorely missed :(

Yes the crest at Jops is challenging, and if treated without caution can lead to an undignified spin. But  David's example of Pflanzgarten is spot on, and the Jops jump should be viewed in the same way.

As I mentioned in my reply on the Euro Jops race, I use a modified Steve Cloyd set-up, and one of the mods is, as I do to his Nurby set-up, and that is to raise the suspension and extend the bump rubbers, to keep the undertray off the deck. If you are running 2.50 inch ride heights and 0.50 inch bumps then it will be a challenge !!  

I too had reservations about a fantasy track, but certainly in the 66s and 65s that I've run there I really enjoyed it, even turning up at 2.00am for a US race !!
Cheers

Mike Beattie

#24 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Albino

• Admin
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

As I was one who wished Jops would be in I feel I should add why I felt it should be in the schedule.

For me Jops is a fantasy track and as such I know that people would not like it.

BUT

a) It's very well done graphically
B) It has lots of space for trying to pass someone
c) It's a gift for a guy called Jops Siffert who has died

I don't feel that it's so much unreal compared to other fantasy tracks and it's not like our current new real F1 tracks. I wish some modern tracks from Hermann Tilke would be more like Jops :)

But it's good to discuss the track list because it's not a carved in stone thing. If enough guys are against Jops I'm sure it will be replaced.
ADC FAQ
Bob Simpsons FAQ
Duisburg Ruhrort, Germany

#25 Monte Smith

Monte Smith

ADC & GPL Legend

• ADC Admins
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:Sim-racing, and staying alive to do more Simracing. ;>)

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

May I open my big mouth here in defense of the "Jops" circuit which I think is the most beautiful we have on our list, and to "scrub" it because one or two don't like a particular corner would be ridiculous.

Why can't they do as I did and work on that corner for a few hours until they master it, and when they do they will find it to be quite a thrill. :thumbup:  

Way back when we only had the 67s to drive I said I hated the "ring" with a passion, I didn't ask for it to be dropped because I could not handle one corner even though there is at least a dozen I failed to conquer. :D I just didn't enter for that week.

Come on now chaps, every single entrant in a race has to traverse the same terrain as everyone else and we will be "hard put" to find the perfect track for them which disadvantages all others.

Vive La Jops Siffert.

Monte
Age is in the body---Not in the mind. (so far anyway)

#26 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

• ADC
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Is the track list in the first post still good?
Pete

President of the 0ld Farts Club.

#27 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

For the immediate future the track list has been suspended. The track and mod are picked monthly by the track selection committee. The schedule will be posted monthly and updated if necessary.

#28 Lottatime

Lottatime

• Validating
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Hi All
      This may sound a little crazy but I was actually one of the founding members of the ADC, a long time ago etc etc etc...with my (then) Brother-In-Law Greg Cooper- and a couple other guys - we somehow got this thing started.  I am shocked/stunned/amazed to see that the ADC (or anything GPL for that matter) is still active and alive. Not just alive, but thriving. Incredible!  I can't believe that this forum was still here -  or that I remembered my old login for that matter.
For some stupid reason I recently thought about playing this ridiculous life sucking game again, and of course that led me here. I would love to drop in for a couple races every now and then if you guys are ok with it. I will never be competitive (if I wasn't then I sure won't be now) but it would be fun to fly off the parabolica again. Any chance you guys can help me get up to speed with all the frikkin mods, tracks, etc. I look at the race schedule and don't even know what I'm reading...all these different tracks, car classes - a lot has happened in 10 years!
Thanks guys      Robert Warfield     (Atlanta)

#29 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hi, Robert. Glad you contacted us. Yes, a lot has happened in ten years, but GPL is still going here. Probably the best web site to answer all your questions is here:
http://srmz.net/index.php?act=idx
There's a lot there, so don't hesitate to ask here if you can't find it there

Here's the calendar of upcoming ADC events:
http://forums.speedg...showtopic=38573
If you can get GPL up and running ok with the original 67 cars, you might want to wait and join us at Spa67, though that track is a new add-on, not the Spa that came with the original GPL.
Go here:
http://gpltd.bcsims.com/
to look for tracks, though Tom Johnson is pretty good about putting a link to the track in the event announcement.

I hope this helps get you started.
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#30 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

Far out!  :)

We would all be very pleased to have you rejoin the fray, Robert.

Hmmm...  Bobby Warfield...  Bobby Deerfield...  Hmmm...  Is there a link-synergy thingie going on here?

I HOPE NOT!  :D  Dreadful film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075774/

#31 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

Welcome back, Robert! It would be a pleasure to share the track with you again. You are in for a treat with so many new mods and tracks to try, I think this is what has kept GPL going.

#32 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostLottatime, on 02 October 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Any chance you guys can help me get up to speed with all the frikkin mods, tracks, etc. I look at the race schedule and don't even know what I'm reading...all these different tracks, car classes - a lot has happened in 10 years!

If you have your GPL CD, get the full installer at https://gplps.wordpr...-gpl-installer/ . V.1.07 which install all the latest 67 cars and original track updates.  Installing GPL is now a matter of a 15 minute download of the installer, then a 10 minute install.  Super simple.

Then for all the mods that are available, visit http://www.gpllinks....s.org/  where you'll find links to everything.

Then when the inevitable questions arise, go to the SRMZ forum linked to above in post #29 - or ask here.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

Sim Racing Links