P.i.r. Race Reports

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:17 AM

I knew I would do well here if I could stay out of trouble. I raced in Arturo's ovals league for two years or more way back in the day, so I'm used to these go-in-circles tracks and I like them. The car was fine and well set up. I had an acceptable qualifying time. And I stayed out of trouble. It was a good day at the office.

#2 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:22 AM

This oval in a Honda brought the worst out of me.  I know I have a long list of people to apologize to.   Happy to finish but not at the cost.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:26 AM

Great job Pepe, most passionate and dedicated driver in oAo bar none! :)

Grats John, Bruce and Alain! Well done finishers, commiserations to the DNFs. No worries Mick ;)

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

can't type much, my arms are numb :P
start from p2.. end p2  - but in between was non-stop intensity.
couldn't even take a drink!

good racing, but the challenge was overtaking backmarkers - and i've NO COMPLAINTS - the track just did not lend itself for 'moving over'

John is a gracious winner - could easily have lapped the field (all but me) but was on my rear as we crossed the S/F :o  
Alain... possibly the fastest had he not had to stop -
and poor Mick!!
haven't seen the replay.. but saw him (?) tumbling in my mirrors after i got by a slower car.. possibly that car didn't see Mick behind me :(

very happy with my race!
on to Road America :D
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#5 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

"Snoozefest with a chance of excitement"

I was not the fastest of them all, but i kept it clean and avoided problems (most of the time).

Consistency was key, so i made sure i make way for faster cars and stayed out of their way.

Most of the faster cars did pass cleanly... however there was 1 Lotus that did something... dirty (for me): At the front straight i tend to keep it on inside line so that the faster cars could pass high before the corner, but this guy has the audacity to jump to my inside, which caught me off guard, thankfully i was just about to enter the corner so i went wide, and thankfully kept it together..

At the end i was getting a fight for P9 ( i think ) with a Honda, i kept it clean and i have shut the door for him when coming into some corners, but not in a way that would make use collide.

Now later he managed to get to the inside of me on the backstraight/kink, i kept wide and had rome to spare on the inside.. untill we collided and i lost a wheel!

Good thing that i still had my reset and got safely in the pits, reset and continued on, finishing 9th (huh? but how?).

Anyways, finishing in the points felt good! Finally after a streak of DNF... 2 points are better than -4... anyways.

Video is underway... it's recorded... now off to editing... all 1 hour of snoozefest...

Next stop; Road America!

#6 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

I know what you are saying, Bob!  Tried to stay out of trouble, but had more than one incident with walls and brakes.  I really tried to slow down after we skipped off the wall, Bob, but couldn't slow enough, sorry.  Oh well.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#7 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Fairly good race for my first oval.

Just too bad I got pushed in the first lap of the race by a car  trying an impetuous pass with cold tires and sliding on me.
I lost a wheel but was lucky enough to make it back to the pits and sh-R. Now I have to pay for the damages and that doesn't accumulate coins to buy a better car.

Later on the engine got damaged without any incident or overRev..That's the Honda. Had to sh-R again. Coin coins coins.

From last position I was able to climb up, till toward the end of the race, when I was passing a slower car for P8, the door closed on me while on his side and made me loose control, but was lucky enough to keep the car on the track and finished P8 finally.

My arms were so tired at the end that I could hardly cook for lunch.

Great FUN

See you next time

#8 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

Very sorry for having damged Mick's race today, he was very fast (Pole) so he did not deserve that  The point is that I was going to be lapped by a certain number of cars, I saw first Bruce, so I gave the line taking the right, after that I moved a bit to recover the trajectory but unfotunately not seeing that very close to Bruce there was Mick.  So I could not avoid the impact.  Sometime, even looking at Pribluda is not so easy to read the gap between the cars.

Mick, please accept my apologies.

Regards
Roberto

Edited by Baldassarri, 22 September 2018 - 12:46 PM.

#9 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:58 PM

Today's race was like last year all over again. I was plain lucky to make the race after my W10 laptop ate iGOR. Due to other commitments I couldn't redo my installation and focused on getting GPL running on Mint 17 and 18. I got GPL to load on both but without a mouse it was useless and GEM kept crashing which meant I couldn't do the initial driver and calibration entries that iGOR required. So , with things looking hopeless, I just kept overwriting GEM until it finally worked. No idea what happened but it got me in the race so job done for now.

When I got in the car I had the 680 screen and it took a while to get a 1000 screen width but eventually it opened with better res and I could drive with Prib. No amount of adjustment could bring the gages closer but for the first time in a long time I drove an enitre race without ever going into the red , so it didn't really matter in the end. The limiting factor was the RF after about 5 laps.

With low fuel I was surprised how quick the cooper was over a solitary  lap  - you can just about get in the 28s dirt tracking  it but with  my record and how long it takes to find a gap around here I took it easy and did a  midgrid time. I knew even if I was 3rd or 4th I'd be 10th in 10 laps.

In the race things went as expected. I tumbled down the order until Niky got loose on the apron of 1 and I slid into him with damages. To make matters worse I lost it at the other end of the track on the same lap and took Roberto with me. Sorry Roberto! I think he grazed the wall and the rear of my car but I don't know what damage I already had from T1. After my 1:03 things settled down and mostly I made up places as others crashed. Starting 6th and finishing there is about what I expected for my first oval race.

On to Road America as they say.

Andrew

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

PS: My prib wasn't registering John when he was behind me. At other times he was visible several cars behind me. When he was lapping me  I could see him on the leader board but it wasn't until he was in my mirrors that I knew he was right behind me. I sort of wonder if something  similar came about in Monza. I was very surprised  in that situation. At least here the Fer was easy to see against the desert backdrop.

Just something weird I noticed - maybe a one off.

Andrew

#11 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

View PostBaldassarri, on 22 September 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Very sorry for having damged Mick's race today, he was very fast (Pole) so he did not deserve that  The point is that I was going to be lapped by a certain number of cars, I saw first Bruce, so I gave the line taking the right, after that I moved a bit to recover the trajectory but unfotunately not seeing that very close to Bruce there was Mick.  So I could not avoid the impact.  Sometime, even looking at Pribluda is not so easy to read the gap between the cars.

Regards
Roberto

Fortunately, my incompitance trumps your un deserved appology, Roberto.  Irrispective, of whether you saw me, I  still had plenty of room, but not enough caution.

You have PM btw.

#12 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

Most of the faster cars did pass cleanly... however there was 1 Lotus that did something... dirty (for me): At the front straight i tend to keep it on inside line so that the faster cars could pass high before the corner, but this guy has the audacity to jump to my inside, which caught me off guard, thankfully i was just about to enter the corner so i went wide, and thankfully kept it together..

well, i've never been called 'dirty' before - that's a new one :(

all i can say is the passing line when the car being overtaken is high, IS, to the low side ... check my other overtakes, there is no overtake going into T1 on the high side!
its too difficult to maintain speed - and the line - and that's why slower cars should stay high when giving the faster car the wave around :)

check the D1 race, i suspect you'll see similar, tell me if i'm wrong ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on 22 September 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

well, i've never been called 'dirty' before - that's a new one :(

all i can say is the passing line when the car being overtaken is high, IS, to the low side ... check my other overtakes, there is no overtake going into T1 on the high side!
its too difficult to maintain speed - and the line - and that's why slower cars should stay high when giving the faster car the wave around :)

check the D1 race, i suspect you'll see similar, tell me if i'm wrong ~

Yeah, it depends... i give way for faster cars, but depending on the situation, it's either high or low, if i'm coming out of a corner, i let them pass high, because that's where the ideal racing line is and the faster car should have a exit than me so that he car pass me easier.

#14 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

i have to disagree Kayo.. maybe for road courses, but oval are a different animal
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#15 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:03 PM

After my disastrous race at Monza, my only goal was to get the car to Phoenix with no damage. So I developed a set up that would make the car easy to drive, even if it wasn't particularly fast and keep me away from any problems during the race. But developing a car that was easy to drive allowed me to "forget" to drive and concentrate 100% on the race. The only thing I had to worry about was the right front wheel, which when I pushed hard tended to raise temperature, but in a couple of quiet laps everything returned to normal. I kept my position at the start (congratulations to everyone!!) and dedicated myself to driving calmly, but being the circuit so short, I was practically never alone on track. I didn't have problems when I had to pass to those who lost laps, when John passed  to me we understood each other very well. And when I had Alain behind my back twice, I drove as fast as I could, but I didn't do nonsense, when an Eagle comes out of a curve is very difficult to contain. So I'm very happy with my 4th place, congratulations to John for his triumph and to the rest of the men on the podium (Bruce and Alain) who were unattainable for me. And congratulations also to all those who dared to run on this track. Now, the best permenent circuit in the world ROAD AMERICA (Nurburg is out of category, it's Heaven).
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#16 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

The evening before our race, in Ottawa we had some tornados which caused power outages that are expected to last a few days. Oh well. C’est la vie.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#17 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,020 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostBaldassarri, on 22 September 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Regards
Roberto

Thank you Roberto, but you deserve an apology as well on behalf of the team. It's a shame it played out like that, but I don't think it was your fault. Sometimes these things happen, but Mick accepts responsibility.

That said, I'm very impressed by Mick's speed and pace, especially last few races. Just a shame he can't get the results in for several reasons. Cheer up mate! ;)

PS: tough luck Bob Simpson.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 22 September 2018 - 05:05 PM.

#18 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:01 PM

All day, I wondered, 'Where the heck is Bob Simpson?'.  Only after his post above did the light bulb go on.  So sorry to learn that you were a DNE thanks to the storms, Bob.  I saw video on the CBC as it tore through the Ottawa area.  A major scare.  Hope that you and yours are OK.

#19 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

I decided to repair the Eagle only yesterday morning as I did not know if I wanted to race here or not; did a couple of laps with the Honda the week before and hated it !

Since our bank account is very low, I decided to practice a bit with the Eagle and at worst, start the race to get the coin , serve my penalty (shift R) for an illegal refuel at Monza and call it quits to save the car...

So this morning I started practicing in the eagle; To my surprise, the race setup I developed was fast and predictable, good for low 29' :wiggle:  so I decided to give it a shot, spent about 15 minutes to adapt the car for qualifying and did my PB 29:09 good for 3rd !

Start was fine, I found out I was faster than Bo and Mick after 2 laps only, chased Bo a couple more laps and passed him on the front straight; took me a few laps to reel Mick in, only to see him hit the rail at the kink, maybe he was checking his mirrors ?? :whistling:

Once ahead I steadily increase my lead from Bo to about 700yds until a Honda lost it beside me, sending my Eagle in a spin; by the time I recovered I was back in 4th ! with a knife between my teeth I managed to get back into 2nd only to get in the pits for my penalty but then, even with the pit patch, if there is a car on the track beside you, the system will not let you reset  :Eyecrazy:  I must have lost about 45 seconds and again, rejoined the race in 5th.... took me 50 laps to catch and pass Claudio for third...All in all, a very fun race !

Edited by Aljones, 22 September 2018 - 05:10 PM.

" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#20 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostAljones, on 22 September 2018 - 05:08 PM, said:

I decided to repair the Eagle only yesterday morning as I did not know if I wanted to race here or not; did a couple of laps with the Honda the week before and hated it !

Since our bank account is very low, I decided to practice a bit with the Eagle and at worst, start the race to get the coin , serve my penalty (shift R) for an illegal refuel at Monza and call it quits to save the car...

So this morning I started practicing in the eagle; To my surprise, the race setup I developed was fast and predictable, good for low 29' :wiggle:  so I decided to give it a shot, spent about 15 minutes to adapt the car for qualifying and did my PB 29:09 good for 3rd !

Start was fine, I found out I was faster than Bo and Mick after 2 laps only, chased Bo a couple more laps and passed him on the front straight; took me a few laps to reel Mick in, only to see him hit the rail at the kink, maybe he was checking his mirrors ?? :whistling:

Once ahead I steadily increase my lead from Bo to about 700yds until a Honda lost it beside me, sending my Eagle in a spin; by the time I recovered I was back in 4th ! with a knife between my teeth I managed to get back into 2nd only to get in the pits for my penalty but then, even with the pit patch, if there is a car on the track beside you, the system will not let you reset  :Eyecrazy:  I must have lost about 45 seconds and again, rejoined the race in 5th.... took me 50 laps to catch and pass Claudio for third...All in all, a very fun race !

Wow! So that explains why the pitboard was acting up!

Sim Racing Links