Spa67

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

Thats it guys! I need definitely a very long break!
Sorry i can't do it anymore if things are going like this :(

This is exualy the moment for me that i have decided to step aside for the remainder of the season!
To be honest... i have way to many things on my mind that i need to sort out in my life.
I just can't concentrate enough at the moment and thats for me a problem.

First of all i want to thank you guys and i will be there again next season!

Edited by Roy, 10 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#2 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

Good luck with all the stuff that needs fixing Roy! Certainly more important than this.

For me this was a practice for the D2 race, only objective to bring the car to the finish line. I was a stand in for Michael who was not able to participate. All went pretty well until the game freeze 3 laps before the finish :yuk:
At least I didn't wreck the car...

#3 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Not the race I hoped it would turn out. :(

During qualifying I had only two real flying laps, and both times I tried to take advantage of the Eagle ahead.
But I didn't really get an advantage on neither of the attempts. The slipstream is just so bloody weak on the original 67...

I managed to respond to the flagman very early at the start but my getaway was not the best, so I maintained position.
At Les Combes I saw my teammate go off and thought 'damn, looks like I need to get the points for my team'. Ahead of me Tristan had issues in his Eagle and lost a lot of time.
Greg went for the gap and overtook him at Haut de la Cote. Tristan was on the outside of the right kink and there was a gap. I -the opportunist that I was- went for it. I didn't take as much of the inside as I did and made contact with Tristan (though I did not feel any contact myself).
I forgot to check the replay when I retired, but I assume he retired because of it. Very sorry :(

So I fought with Greg for fourth, at first I seemed a little stronger, but I think he picked up the pace and surpassed mine. Roy also retired and Gerd lost time in a spin, so it was one for second place.
Lost these positions later when I missed the braking zone in La Source so I was back in fourth.
Later on, Greg also made a spin so I tried to challenge him for 3rd, but just could not get any slipstream.

Chasing him I got wide in Blanchimont and crashed off the ledge and lost two wheels.
Not happy about today :(
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear Roy :( Hope you figure out your problems, without you oAo is not the same for me. You remain the fastest driver, especially in racetrim...

You were faster early race, but I just decided to run my own pace rather than to push. I'm gutted you decided to quit this season...maybe the summer break will help to get some renewed motivation...you deserve to run well and good luck! Take care my friend!

Nice job Gerd, it's a shame you can't run GPL in triple screens, then you'd have whooped my ass for sure...excellent job Greg on the podium again! Good job finishers, thanks all for racing and thanks to Bruce and the race stewards. :)

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 10 June 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#5 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:00 PM

Congrats Rob and Gerd!

I hope you change your mind Roy. You're definitely vying for the worst luck this season.

That was tough. The heat was on me most of the race. I worked hard to keep Yannick busy. I had Gerd behind me for 3 or 4 laps. Michiel was closing on me late in the race. I had 1 or 2 laps I could relax a little bit.

I'd guess I did at least 30 laps on the server. I didn't have a single engine failure. My engine failed in qualifying early on lap 3 of a 4 lap stint. I knew it was going to be difficult or impossible to break 3:20 in the last 5 minutes. I got close and just fast enough to take Yannick's position. :)

I'm glad I survived lap 1. I tried my best. Tristan was struggling early. I came closer than I liked twice within the first few turns. I'm glad Yannick was paying good attention. I was a little worried I might get sandwiched between them.

Yannick's a fast starter. He was fast through the kink too. He passed me twice before Holowell/Stavelot. Once my tires got to temperature I closed on him. But then I couldn't get any front grip exiting Burnenville trying to follow him, so I lost a lot of time and overheated my tires. I was able to close again later. Yannick liked running a little wide at La Source. I followed him wide both times. The second time he did it, I was able to pass. I don't know what happened behind me, but suddenly I had a 5 second lead on Gerd and 10 seconds on Yannick. After a lap or two in P2, I knew Gerd could still catch me but I had enough of a lead to keep Yannick from catching me. Until, I was late braking for Les Combes. I had to gear down to 1st to try to stay off the guard rail. It didn't work. :( For a moment I thought I was stuck in the rail. I barely managed to get out of Gerd's way. I was lucky to get going before Yannick passed me. The heat was on again. Yannick's wreck at Blanchimont lessened the pressure for a moment until I realized Michiel might be able to catch me. I knew it was going to be close but Michiel made a mistake late in the race that made the last lap much easier.

It would have been a great run had I not made that one mistake. I had a chance at P2. I would have got good coins and my consistency would have been very good. I'm glad I got lucky and managed to hold on to P3. I love this track. It has to be one of my better tracks.

Thanks guys. See you next time.
Greg Taber

#6 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

I was so close to a 3:18 in Qually but I ran wide at La Source and ruined it, still P4 was a decent pace to begin from, the top 3 could not be touched in a Brabham.

As for the race itself the off at Les Combes angered me, I was driving on Roy ahead of me but carried just too much understeer to make the bend, did a few somersaults, lost at least 15 seconds and was dead last. But like at Zandvoort I soldiered on as the landing seemed to not have caused any damage at all that was fortunate to say the least. The mistake made me gritty and drive all out to catch up lost ground, the cars ahead seemingly like the red lap for a bull. Pace wise I could barely do any more, I was just holding back slightly in places to go through in 4th instead of 5th on the full tank for consistency.
Quickly passing several cars the grit made me feel like I had found a groove. Having passed Iestyn and Peter I had not seen cars ahead of them so I thought P6 would be the best possible then. However after passing him I started to see the group of Yannick, Greg and Gerd ahead, so suddenly a podium seemed to still be possible.
However I then had a second lengthy off at La Carriere as I just touched the left bank an inch and it sent the car into a slide I could no longer keep. Iestyn was by and another 16 seconds lost getting up to speed again :(
Now really P6 seemed the best possible, and after getting by Iestyn then again there were cars ahead (Yannick and Greg) visible again, so I focused on making them closer once more. I did a whole string of 3:20s and reeled them in again when I saw yellows at Blanchimont, and hoped it would not be Yannick but unfortunately it was. Tough luck as that corner can tighten real quick when having some understeer or a slightly wider line. I inherited his P4 as a result.

Greg was now seeing Gerd ahead of him too so P2 was visible although I doubt anything could realistically be done about it unless they made mistakes. I did try to push as hard as I could, maximum attack and some 3:19s later there was still a chance but then again a small slide at La Carriere made me have to give up a podium. Still turned my quickest lap at the last lap to cap off what was an interesting and eventful race, but by losing 35 seconds in incidents it really should have been much more quiet boring drive to P2. It had it's charms to put up a fighting drive after such embarassment though, so keeping positive :)

Congrats to the podium finishers, and I hope Roy finds the spirit over the summer break. Take some good time to find your bearings again and focus on your inner voice. You'll be fine mate :)

Special thanks to Greg for the fix for the GPU clock, without which would have given me additional fps woes in 36fps mode. ClockBlocker works a charm :)

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 10 June 2017 - 01:24 PM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#7 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

I love this track too.

Had a PB in qualifying but I still started way back.

When the flag dropped I laid back not wanting to get caught in a pile up in Au Rouge but everyone went through clean.  Same for the kink. Pretty soon I was following Tames with Col trailing me a second or two behind.  I think he had he same strategy as the start as me and it probably cost him as things turned out.  I was driving as smoothly as I could, avoiding the rain gutter ad trying to get fast exits.  Tames was pulling away a little less than a second a lap but col was a steady second or two behind I was able to out power the Honda and maintain the gap.  If he had ever got into my draft I think he would have been able to pass but he never quite managed it.  I benefited greatly from attrition and drove about as good as I could to finish 6th.  Also 1st time this season I didn't get lapped :)

Congrats to Robert, Gerd and Greg.  Sorry to see Tames freeze as he was driving well.  Thanks to Col for making me work.  Having someone nipping at my heel forced me to really concentrate.

Edited by BurtAugust, 11 June 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#8 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Sorry guys i hate it to be negative because i'm not like that... unfortunately there are things going on in my life that effects my driving.
I should be driving like a rocket and smooth but at the moment i drive like crap when it really matters.

I am not going into details but i can tell that my father was last year pronounced with cancer in his throat.
Luckily he fully recovered after a laser treatment but he changed because of this and the situation deeply effects me.

Well i can tell you for sure that i will not leave oAo! I love gpl and you guys!
I just need some time to sort some things out before i will be driving again.
That is also the reason why i am so disappointed everytime after the race when things are not going like i want it.
Unfortunately i can clearly see while driving right now that i am not sharp enough at the moment.
That is the reason why i need to step aside at the moment... I hope you guys can understand it!

Edited by Roy, 11 June 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for sharing Roy, I understand. I can relate to that, lost my father due to cancer some years ago, I saw him deteriorate slowly. Also have a missing sister and my mother is chronically ill. I think every person has to deal with adversity in life, some more than others. We cannot control it...

Speaking for myself, also struggling with depressions the last 15 years, and substance abuse, but found some inner peace the last 3/4 year also due to mindfulness (even when I still have my bad periods and moments). When I am down it also affects my driving and performances, and behaviour.

I wish you a lot of strength coping with your private problems, and again, there are more important things than our hobby. It's hardly a matter of birth and death, even when it's our passion. In my eyes you're a Champion, no matter what results!

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 11 June 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

true words by Robert!  a champion is often the person, not 'point standing'  .... dealing with aging parents is not easy, and add poor health or health problems only increases the difficulty. i don't know how other countries deal with aging parents, but in USA it seems youth have little or no idea how to deal, and the solution is often 'put them away somewhere and let someone else take care of them' :(    and as i am rapidly becoming the 'aged parent' i am more acutely aware of how my kids/grandkids will be dealing with ME :P    

Roy - you need to do what NEEDS to be done. family is priority and you are in good standing with oAo/me and should have no worries about taking a break or when you return. best to you in most difficult times..
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#11 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

View PostMichiel Pompert, on 10 June 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Special thanks to Greg for the fix for the GPU clock, without which would have given me additional fps woes in 36fps mode. ClockBlocker works a charm :)

You're welcome Michiel. I upgraded my Radeon a year or so ago. It ran 60fps fine but 36fps was almost a slide show. ClockBlocker was the only way I could find to keep the gpu in 3d mode when running GPL at 36fps. When you mentioned you had a Radeon gpu and a good cpu, I figured you were having the same problem I had initially.

Now if I could just remember to turn off clockblocker after racing. I forget sometimes so my gpu idles at 55C when it should be 20C cooler. I need to look into making it start automatically when I start a gpl* exe.

One more thing, the internet meters are still running in the background when you use the No Letterbox patch. They're using resources. I forget to hit Alt + M before this race started. I got a few stutters early in the race but once I remember to turn off the meters I didn't see another stutter.

View PostBurtAugust, on 10 June 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

Having someone nipping at my heel forced me to really concentrate.

:) When Yannick and Gerd fell back some, I had a little trouble concentrating once the intensity declined. That may have contributed to my accident but I think that was just a simple mistake of missing my braking point slightly.

I hope things improve for you soon Roy. We'll miss you if you're not here. I still miss Paolo and it would be interesting to see Ivan and Mark Barresi to show us how it's supposed to be done.

Take care guys.
Greg Taber

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

Roy and I came very close to the current (or better old now) GPLRank verified Lotus 49 World Record in pre-race testing last week. Roy a few hundredths, myself a few thousandths.

Roy told me I could break the WR, and that's what I did last night, broke it 3 times and went down to 3m16.32s, more than 4/10s under the WR. This one's for you Roy!

PS: driven with triple screens at 60fps, captured with single screen for convenience and YT.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 13 June 2017 - 06:10 AM.

#13 PeterA

PeterA

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Wow, that's an impressive lap Rob, grats on the record! :-O

#14 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Great time Rob! I knew you could do it :)
I can see on your replay with your setup that the car behavior on high speed is much better compare to my, well done!

As it looks now i will be missing the first few races the 2nd part of the season but i will try my very best to be back again at Mosport or Monza ;)

cheers!

Edited by Roy, 15 June 2017 - 09:26 AM.

#15 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

Congrats Robert! Very impressive!

#16 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thanks guys. Progress with other cars is slow, if I want to sweep 65 and 67 GPLRank records still need 67 Eagle, Ferrari, Brabham and Cooper. hPod, Gerd and Iestyn have very sharp WR's though. :thumbup: Where are Ivan Tierno and Mark Barresi when you need them. :P I believe Mark did 3m17ish in Brabham but he never uploads times at GPLRank. :disguise2:

@Roy: thanks! I believe setting the car up to my driving style and to tracks is one of my stronger points. My driving style is still developing. With triple screens I have more immersion and brought me some extra speed due to the better perspective, it helps for focus and concentration as well. This track is real Zen for me. :)

It's great you will be making races this season, was hoping you still would come back full time after the break but do what you have to do. ;)

PS: sorry Gerd, beat your Brabham time with 2/10s ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 16 June 2017 - 07:35 AM.

#17 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:25 AM

Hi Robert

Really an awesome lap, my congratulations !

Roberto

#18 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:37 AM

Congratulations Robert! Also very useful for me that I am preparing the race for D2. It reminded me that the most important thing on this track is a quick and clean exit from the corners.
Thank you very much!!
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#19 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Robert,

WOW

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#20 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys. :) As Claudio mentioned, you can learn from replays. I've also gained a lot watching and analysing replays of "aliens" and still do. Remember a setup always will be personal, it matters the wheel you use (MSWFF here), the srtg linearity (100%), driving style and preferences. I like a car close to neutral but just on the loose side. Basically setting up to get the best tire readings, gearings and overall handling for a track. At faster tracks with 67s I might sacrifice some grip for lesser rolling resistance/better topspeed, but never in the amount of you can get away with with mods in general...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 18 June 2017 - 12:28 PM.

Sim Racing Links