• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

GTL Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

Gys...  On-going problems with my vision has been very cruel of late.  Events in GPL with the ADC, OAO, UKGPL and the VOR plus b-weekly rounds in rFactor with the Delta gang in Trans Am cars have been nightmares.  Driving by braille, mostly.

I'm standing down from all but championship rounds with the OAO and the UKGPL plus '55 mod runs with the ADC/VOR.  All others will be scratched until further notice.

I'll be back to full participation as and when possible.

Doni

#2 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,448 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 06:40 PM

Take care of your vision Donnie, I know how frustrating it can be. There's always a slot on the grid for you.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

Get well soon Doni.  One's eyes are pretty important.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#4 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

Sounds like a necessary step, bro. Sorry to hear it. Hopefully a hiatus will provide some long term relief, and you can get back to a full schedule at some point down the road. There's always a grid spot for you.
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#5 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,211 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

You'll be missed, Donnie, but health is of primary importance. Especially at our age :-)

Dave
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#6 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:19 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I hope you get better soon, Doni. Rest those eyes all you can.
Greg Taber

#7 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

GTL Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hi, fellas!  An update on my vision status...

As of Friday, June 30, I've been on a new treatment regime targeting my long-standing vision problems.

Back in Februeary, I was officially diagnosed with 'Dry Eye'.  This is a condition whereby the surface of the eye lacks sufficient lubrication.  The affect can vary but typically, in my case, it leads to loss of focus, fogging, general iritation and tearing.  This last I find is the most annoying as the tear ducts, in an effort to rectify the situation, pour out gallons of fluid in an effort to obtain the needed lubrication.  Many is the time in our races I have tears pouring down my cheeks as I squint through a thick fog trying to see just where the H I'm going.  Not fun!  On occasion, I give up to retire or pit for a bit to rest in a long race and give the eyeballs a chance to recover.  This sometimes works.  Sometimes not.  Typical over-the-counter eyedrops have provided some relief but in the long run, have proved rather useless.  As of June 30, I've up-gunned things considerably.

The new medication is again an eyedrop lube but this stuff claims a virtual permanent fix after two to three months twice-daily use.  It ain't cheap.  $1/drop.  Two applications/day with one drop in each eye.  Four doses = $4/day.  And that's with a 50% off voucher from the supplier!  MUMMA MIA!

The product is called restasis and is supplied by a lab about a 40 minute drive south of me on the outskits of Toronto.  So how's it shaking out?  I booked an appointment last week...after just two weeks on the programme... with my eye doctor and sat with her today.  She asked if the restasis drops were helping.  I said, 'You tell me.  Run me through a test and let's see.'  Well, she did the bright light in the eyeball thingie and said that my left eye looked substantially improved.  The right eyeball not quite so much but better than my last examination in early May of this year.  I then revealed my impressions of the treatment to date.

'The person who developed this stuff should get a Nobel Prize'  Or words to that affect.  :)  I'm quite amazed and astonished at the progress of my situation.  I revealed to the doctor that the day prior, I ran a 50-minute GPL race in the afternoon and a 40-minute GPL race in the evening with not the slightest hint of vision problems.  This, plus other computer work during the day, should have had me on my knees.

The doctor was very pleased at the news and stated that she has two other individuals who have recently gone onto the restasis programme but have yet to hear from them.  If their progress has been anything like mine, they, too, will be thrilled at the results.

The doctor suggested that I try to squeeze more out of each vial of medication by capping the vial and storing it in a fridge.  The recommendation from the supplier is open one vial, take a drop in each eye and then dispose of the vial.  As it is, I go through two vials a day so if I can cut that back by half, so much the better.

I'll continue the programme for at least two months and have a follow-up appointment scheduled for early 2018.  May not need it.  :)

Doni

#8 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

Great news, Donnie! Sounds like just the stuff you need to be taking. Good news for all of us since we'll be able to race with you longer into the evening. Thanks for the update. I always love to hear good news on the medical front for us pensioners.
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

Sim Racing Links