Possible Rule Change

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

i do not like want or intend to change the way the rules are written, AFTER the race.
of course there is a 'gap' in them, as to 'what if'... and i agree they need to be modified.

i asked Robert to contact the finishers to see if they agree with 1/2 points, but understand they are under no obligation to agree.

a rule change, after the season has begun is most distasteful to me ,but like Robert, i am willing to go with the majority.
i do not feel a re-run is in the league's best interest however. for example would Claudio not be allowed to race since he had a legit dnf on lap 3?
what about those that missed the race entirely? should they then be allowed to race?  i don't think so, but again, the majority might feel otherwise.

the current way the rules are stated address a mass disco (everyone) happening before 1/2 distance ... we did not, we had a majority disco and the rules come close to addressing this as if an early race 'crash' affected more than 1/2 the field, and that no restart would be done.
if a 'mass' disco occurred after the 1/2 way point that 1/2 points would be awarded.

what occurred was something not actually covered - but the closest to covering was more than 1/2 field, less than 1/2 distance.
i won't change the results or the rules without a majority agreeing.

YOU HAVE TILL FRIDAY TO RESPOND - send me your thoughts via email - if you already have, then disregard this post.
thanks!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

My response from the Buenos Aires race thread covers my stance pretty well

Edited by Michkov, 21 March 2017 - 07:18 PM.

I just wanna race

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

my ruling on D1 race #1

altho i am against changing rules after the season has begun.
the problem is/was, that what happened at BA55n2 was not covered well enough (at all?) in the rules... a 'gap' and so that gap needs to be fixed.

from the few opinions i received, 11 in total (+me=12)  6 were in favor of leaving the results stand.
of the 11, 8 were D1, 9 that participated in the event.

one member said the majority of the majority should decide. but i've always had a problem with that, in the example of 18 starters, 9 would have to reply, and only 5 to agree the same way.

so instead it comes to me, the commissioner deciding how to do this, but using several of you for feedback and how to fix this.

the longer we (me) let this go, the worse it will be for those concerned/affected.
to be clear the term "mass disco" to ME, has always meant 'everyone' online is dropped.

so to address that we create a term that is less than everyone, and call it a majority.
and less than 1/2 but more than 1 is minor.

therefore:
MASS disco=everyone and the result would be "re-run, re-run on alternate track, or cancel event."
major disco=1/2 or more simultaneously disco
result
before 1/2 way= 1/2 points to finishers
at or after 1/2 way=results stand

minor disco= less than 1/2 simultaneously disco

result:
before or after 1/2 way= results stand

AS for the BA55n2 D1 race, having heard from 4 of the top 5 ... Michael p1-Mick p2-Lorenzo p3-(Burt p4 i did not hear from) Dave p5-
and the 4 agreed to 1/2 points which is what the edit to the rules/points will now be.

if you see we STILL have an oversight, or are missing some important aspect of potential race shortened events, PLEASE respond!
for now, i will adjust the points and the standings and the RULES as stated above, pending further possible input.

special thanks to Michael L. saying:
If it happened once, it might happen again (hopefully not as soon as this upcoming Saturday!), so we might as well take reasonable steps to address it beforehand.

Also Bob H.-John H. for their feedback and suggestions
and Robert F. (for bringing it to my attention in the first place)

thanks for your understanding

hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Thanks guys for your efforts!

PS: I've checked the mail, and it seems Burt only did respond to me personally...I wondered why Bruce said Burt didn't repond...I hope the coins loss will be halved too for Burt!

"Since the race cost us 15 coins i vote that points stay as originally posted", Burt wrote.

I

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

not sure i understand why Burt feels the race cost them 15...
the eagle was damaged.. on lap 2 or 3... long before any result.
and Burt finished.. getting FULL coins :o  shall i 1/2 his total then ;)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#6 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Well it did cost us 15 coins.  I didn't say the disco cost us.

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Personally I'd make the cutoff for mass disco 2/3-3/4 of the field.

For clarification, simultaneity means fail to complete the same lap in the race report? Plus us telling you we disco/froze? Because mass crashes are not covered by this but would show up the same in the report.

For whatever fraction of the field the cutoff is, what does "the field" refer to? Is it the number taking the green flag or the currently running drivers. Because you need a lot more to disco if you go with the first option to trigger the condition.
For example: Considering the first option, 20 take the flag, a start crash eliminates 7 and 4 fall by the wayside through various unrelated incidents. Now a mass disco removes 5 drivers which is half the field but still only half the threshold value.
I just wanna race

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:44 PM

good thoughts Michi...

but the first part is easy (for me)
when you watch the D1/BA55n2 race, you can tell who was disco'd Simaltaniously.  no one had to tell me, but several did, plus it was quite clear in post race reports here on forum
tho some were not on same lap, didn't matter - they disco'd at same time.

the 'field' (again to me, at least at this point of discussion) is the total number of cars that start (green flag) in the case where the occasional driver drops out at the drop of green, the rule of 'more than 1/2 before 1/2 way' would still cover that situation.

and the example, (last time) 'to me'  9 cars running after the 7 crashed and 4 retired, a 5 car disco wouldn't be 'mass' by the definition already provided. it would be a minor disco.

A slightly different example but along the same lines, having 3 retirements leaving 16 running, then having 10 disco, would be a major disco and depending on before the 1/2 way mark of race, or after, would determine points allocated.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

Sim Racing Links