S21 Track Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

S21 is still far off, but I'm sure to forget what has been added, fixed or otherwise modified in the track department. So here is your place to suggest tracks for S21, I'll start.

Goodwood, with the just released disco fix. No more excuses not to run the track.
I just wanna race

#2 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:14 AM

Thanks Michi!!
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#3 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

Nassau
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#4 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

View PostMichkov, on 20 January 2017 - 12:30 AM, said:

S21 is still far off, but I'm sure to forget what has been added, fixed or otherwise modified in the track department. So here is your place to suggest tracks for S21, I'll start.

Goodwood, with the just released disco fix. No more excuses not to run the track.
It seems that the problems are not solved. A shame!
Look here:http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=11684

#5 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

True, in testraces in two different leagues, as well a in 60 and 36fps, there were mass freezes/disco's. Seems there are still gaps in the track.

#6 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

I was thinking that it would be interesting to recreate the tracks that I used Can Am in the late sixties and early seventies. Adding some of Papy's originals. It's still a long way down, anyway ...

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

I'm not a big fan of trying to recreate a certain season. It just lacks variety for me. That said I'm all for Elkhart and Mid Ohio on the schedule.
I just wanna race

#8 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:04 PM

Nassau

#9 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:53 AM

I'll make my annual shout out for the Birmingham Superprix as our street circuit. :pray:  (I promise not to mention it again until the S22 suggestions thread). :)

Also Bridgehampton, We are running the 67 Can-Am Series across at UKGTL and after initially hating the circuit it has become 1 of my favourites. Over the blind crest into T1 & 2 is (JMO) one of the best corner combinations out there.

Both are a bit "Sparse" on the graphics front (So good news for lesser systems).

Oh and I think Eric wants Nassau (Just in case he hasn't mentioned it). ;)

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 07 April 2017 - 06:53 AM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#10 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Nassau

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

i think who ever has the oldest/slowest and least capable of handling GPL graphics with regard to some of the newer tracks, needs to report his results on Nassau.  i've tried a few laps, its not ideal for my system and i'm running w10, with 8gb of ram :o
maybe the video card is the bottleneck, but even there, i'm not the oldest, with nVidea GeForce GTX650
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#12 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 07 April 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

i think who ever has the oldest/slowest and least capable of handling GPL graphics with regard to some of the newer tracks, needs to report his results on Nassau.

I'll report.

Several of the newer tracks, including but not limited to Spa67, Nassau, the Trenton oval, and Road America, are too demanding for my aging computer. When I say "too demanding," I mean that I get 3-4fps going past the pits at Spa67, and I get an automatic screen freeze every time exiting Les Combes. Nassau is equally undrivable for me, with Trenton and Road America being better, but still not drivable.  I needed to miss the Spa67 race a couple years ago, and I anticipate missing it this season as well. The problem is that I have an integrated graphics card (i.e. the 15-pin monitor plug is soldered directly onto the motherboard). There is no slot into which a graphics accelerator can plug. My CPU, processing at 3.06Gigs, can overcome this limitation at about 95% of GPL tracks, but not at several of the newest ones.

As I argued two years ago when we first ran Spa67, I don't think that we should avoid such tracks. I would hate for my own personal limitations to become the league's limitations. These are all great tracks and we should run on them.

One day, I will upgrade my system and these fancy new tracks won't be a problem for me. But insofar as I can already run 95% of what is available, an upgrade is not the highest priority in my life. An upgrade will happen when it happens. I would, however, appreciate it if we could avoid running any more than one or two such tracks in any one season. I can be philosophical about missing one or two events, but I'd prefer to not be shut out of more than that.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 07 April 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#13 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Do you both also have problems @36fps? I'm happy with the current trend at oAo to run 36fps at add on tracks (Although 60fps is soooo much nicer for me).

I have no problems with Nassau or the other tracks mentioned by Michael at any setting 60fps or 36fps. (Intel I7-4790k@4ghz, GTX760, 8mb Ram).

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#14 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'd like to second Johns nomination of the Superprix.
I just wanna race

#15 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Dijon 81 :)

#16 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

John -- with the exception of Road America, which was just recently released, it has been a long time since I tested any of the circuits that I cannot run. I tested each and every track under as many conditions as possible: minimizing graphics detail, minimizing mirror detail, using the lowest possible screen resolution, comparing OpenGL and D3d, installing the lightest available graphics version .... In short, I tried every trick I know -- tricks that have worked well at other demanding tracks (like Montjuic, for example).

Spa67 and Nassau are by far the worst I've encountered with regard to fps. As I wrote above,Trenton and Road America are better, but still undrivable. Relying on vague memory, I think the ovals at Langhorne and Phoenix are similarly undrivable. But I'd have to retest them to be sure. The 60fps patch has no effect. The bottleneck remains the same.

Fortunately, my personal undrivable list is an extremely small percentage of the total number of tracks available.

Michael

#17 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

My computer can run anything smooth. It really didn't cross my mind that any of these track would be taxing on a computer. Obviously, I have a problem. I am a computer snob. I shall seek help immediately.

Eric

#18 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Michael - I know of a possible solution, but it is manual work. Achim Kraft used to do it before he recently got a new PC - with a voodoo card he could still run most tracks.

He would make a smaller dat file, unpacking the original, putting files into the track folder and repacking a smaller dat. Spa67 he got down from 800mb to like 400. I think the thing in the modern tracks that makes it harder for an old system to run it is the SRB files, or generally the size of the dat (which has to be fully loaded into memory when the track loads up). The loose files in the track folder can then be loaded later or something like that, and the SRBs he would replace with an 'empty' 0kb file (e.g. one pixel or something).

He knows what to actually do, this is just what I've picked up from hearing about it :).

Edited by Iestyn Davies, 12 April 2017 - 06:59 PM.

GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#19 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the tip, Iestyn. I always suspected that I could do something like that, whether it be reducing the size of each graphic file, reducing draw distance or whatever. That would be such a massive undertaking with spa67 that I just didn't want to get into it. (Or more precisely, you could say that I hoped somebody else would do it!) Now that the season has begun and I'm relearning tracks in the 2 weeks between races, I definitely don't have the time to investigate it.

But if one day I decide to try, at least you've given me a place to start. That's helpful.

Thanks,
Michael

p.s. Or I could just buy a new friggin' computer....  ;)

Edited by MGL66, 13 April 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#20 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Or ask Achim if he still got the modified files.
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links