Triple Screens

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

I now have a triple screen setup - 3 Asus 24" HD monitors (not 4k). I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 vid card. Windows7.
Assetto Corsa runs great on all three monitors. Project CARS does not have triple screen support. But I know GPL can be run on three screens. I did some quick research and havn't found much in the way of a How To, and nothing that is recent. Does anyone know what I need to do to make GPL display on all three screens?

Thanks!
Eric
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#2 col bentley

col bentley

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

gerd is running triple screens , he may be able to help

#3 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

I installed the V2 rasters which I had never installed. The OpenGLV2 raster does not show up in the list in GPL's Options, but it does show up in the list in GEM. Problem is I can't connect with GEM. I can't even serve my own race thru GEM. The green button in the lower right won't depress.

I tried (selected in the GPL list - not thru GEM) the D3dV2 raster on 5760 x 1080 resolution and it crashed GPL.

I have spent almost 6 hours dealing with my connection issue and the triple screen setup and neither work. I am getting frustrated.

Eric

#4 Pelle_B

Pelle_B

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:To drive from all...no matter how small they are :)
    PC: Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 K6, i7 6700, GTX 1070 G1, Corsair 2x8GB 3000, Crucial MX300, Win 10 x64, G27, Creative Z, Edifier S730, screen: 31.5"
    GPL4U: ASRock B75 Pro3, i5 3470, GTX 960 G1, 2x4GB, Creative X-fi, Crucial MX300, Win 10 x64, screen: 28"

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

Your 3 monitors, I can't help (I think happens plentiful on 1) but hope you get it to work.

It requires a little luck with server, the ISP & the Router you use...these settings are from GPL4U server, remember the IP address of the server & lock it, so that the next time you turn on the PC, that you don't get a new IP.

Forwarding:
113 113 TCP 6667 6667 TCP
6969 6971 UDP
30199 30199 UDP
32766 32786 UDP

As I said, it can tease...on my old router with VDSLv2 (50/10) I could not join GPL4U through GEM+ or VROC, but through lan. On my new Router (cable 340/60) it works perfectly & can join through GEM+ & VROC.

If it fails again, read more here:
http://www.jamesonli...gpl/6_ports.php

#5 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,470 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

Port forwarding is only needed if you're hosting a race, remember.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#6 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

I think the triple screen issue may resolve itself once I can connect thru GEM since the proper driver only shows up in GEM's list not in GPL.

Eric

#7 Gerd

Gerd

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

ive been using triplescreen, but on a AMD card. Iirc you have to use the opengldrivers, as direct3d7 doesnt support such high resolutions.
Another must (at least in case of AMD) is that at least 1 monitor must be connected via displayport, otherwise only 2 screens will work (or using an active displayportadapter). I have a setting in my gfxcarddriver called eyefinity which lets you combine different monitors to one virtual desktop. then i write this resolution (4680*1024) into GEM. but there is another tool where you can set custom resolution without using GEM, cant remember the name though. hope you get it to work, its quite immersive and helps with spatial awareness as well:)

#8 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Gerd. I have driven with it in Assetto Corsa and it is great. Not as good as VR, but VR is low res.
I have Surround instead, but works the same. Like I said, I think it will resolve itself once GEM is letting me thru.

Eric

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Have been chatting with Gerd last weekend about this. I've got a AMD HD 6950 2GB card. Still looking for another cheap 22" monitor (for 22/24/22 setup, 16:10, 16:9, 16:10, for at least 4480x900 resolution, or even better), but already have found out the eyefinity option works for one virtual desktop and GPL, with 2 monitors :) Alternatively might pickup a set of 19" monitors for 30€, but prefer another 22". Hopeful to run triple screen at St. Jovite with a nice FOV and better immersion and awareness! :)

#10 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

I picked up my three 24" monitors at Fry's Electronics in Burbank for 700$usd. The Fry's store has a UFO crashed into the building over the entrance and all sorts of aliens inside. You could probably find pics online.

Strange how monitors are in inches worldwide in spite of the metric system.
Even tho I am in the states, I use metric all the time at work because we work with China  for manufacturing.

Eric

#11 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

It's all very low-budget here with secondhand parts. Old PC from my nephew. Picked up my 24" for 50€, and the vidcard also for 50€ :P Did inherit a 22" from my mother. Might opt for a 19/22/19 setup, if I an pick those set of 19" for 25€ (need to hear from that guy)...

Yes it's kind of weird monitors are still in inches hahaha

Posted Image

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 12 October 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#12 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

Yet we manage to invent wonderful things.... and build them in China :P

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

My 25€ bid for the set of 19" syncmasters has been accepted. Picking them up tomorrow night. First will setup for 19/22/19 (all Samsung syncmasters, best for syncing colours as well). Either 4320x900 or 3456x720 depending on how the vid card performs. Later might change to 22/24/22 setup, and use the 19" for a couple of PC's I still can build from parts, and sell, or give away to some digiterates...

PS: I have a displayport to DVI cable to make 3 monitors work, as Gerd mentioned. Will report back tomorrow night.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 13 October 2016 - 04:10 AM.

#14 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

Can't get 3 screens working, despite having my main connected to the displayport (DP to DVI cable). Maybe it's passive, and I do need an active displayport adapter!?

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:06 AM

After some research it's confirmed I need an active displayport adapter to make 3 or more screens work (only the HD 6950 Flex edition supports 3 or 4 legacy connections without using a native connection)...I need one native connection (DP-DP, or active DP adapter (with chipset)-DVI), the others can be legacy (DVI-DVI, VGA-DVI, HDMI-HDMI etc...)...right now I have 3 legacy connections because my DP-DVI cable is passive, and my main monitor doesn't support DP (otherwise I could simply buy a DP-DP cable)...

Might be able to pick up a very cheap secondhand active adapter (need to hear from that guy coming weekend), otherwise will order one for 17€ at Monday (arriving Tuesday then)...aiming to run St-Jovite at triple screen and a nice FOV if possible...

Anyway, ppl with older AMD cards and older monitors can ask me what to do and what they need if they want to setup for triple screens ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 14 October 2016 - 06:11 AM.

#16 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

My triple screens are working now! And so is joining GPL thru GEM, although I have not tried to join the oAo server yet.
It's using the OpenGLV2 rasters right now, I have to try the D3DV2 rasters next.
The fov is whacked, but I have GPLShift and FovED so I should be good.

Thanks to all who helped :)

Eric

Forgot to add the reason the triple screens are working.... I downloaded and installed the GPL install Bob suggested in the other thread and now everything works.

Edited by EFulghum, 15 October 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#17 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

To sum things up for anyone wondering how to make three screens work:

-you need a video card with enough HDMI and Display Ports to support three screens
-you need three screens
-download the V2 rasterizers and install them - some downloads have them already installed - look in the main GPL directory to see if you already have them
-most likely you need to have GEM running to select the proper driver - only the OpenGLV2 rasterizers support triple screen resolutions
-depending on your monitors, the resolution you need to select in GPL should look something like 5760x1080

That's it!

Your field of view will be whacked, but you can adjust that with GPL Shift. FOV adjustment in GEM is helpful, but doesn't do a whole lot. There is also a program called FovEd that adjusts the field of view. I think it offers more adjustment than GEM does - I havn't tested it tho.

Eric

Edited by EFulghum, 20 October 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#18 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

Only OpenGL works for the triple screens on my setup.The D3DV2 rasterizers do not work. They crash GPL. Is there a setting I have to set?
I have not tried the D3DV2s with one screen.

Eric

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

Gerd said earlier in this thread D3D7 doesn't support such high resolutions...

#20 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

Ah! You are correct sir! He did say that :P

Eric

Sim Racing Links