Wheel Calibration?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

I just had a problem with my T300. I was doing a few offline races when I discovered after practice/qualifying, and we went to race, I had to recalibrate my wheel. I only have 30 seconds to do this.
I have to recalibrate every time I start GPL, but I've never had this happen went we go to the grid.

Does anyone know a way to have GPL keep my wheel calibration?

Funny thing is, last night when I ran online and we went to race, I don't think this happened.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#2 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:13 PM

I think this has to do with temporarely powerloss on the usb hub...

I had this too when i hooked up too many devices on the usb hub where my wheel is connected.. causing it to shutdown and re-calibrate... sometimes even while driving due to a power deficit.

Try to use less devices on the same usb hub or use a powerline for the usb hub.
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#3 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:27 PM

No power loss to my USB, I'm plugged straight into my PC. The real problem lies in when I calibrate in game (each time) it calibrates slightly differently. The pedals are fine, but the wheel calibrates a little different, so much that it throws off my timing and is just different each time, no consistency. One time the wheel centers at .003, another time it's .093, or .015.  I hate to say it,but my other racing games do not exhibit this problem, it's only GPL that does this.

Would GPL Shift possibly fix this? Is there another GPL utility that might help?

Thanks for any help.

ZZ

#4 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:50 PM

Every time you calibrate, before you click into GPL's calibration screen, make sure that your wheel is already centered. I'm not sure, but I think that wherever the wheel is when you enter the routine is where the routine defines as center.

Michael

#5 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 08:32 AM

Thank you. That appears to have been the problem.  I'm sure I had that tidbit of information buried somewhere in my brain, but it got lost deep in the maze.

Thanks again.

#6 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

OK, now I have another problem. My wheel calibration does not stay when we change from practice to race. I have to recalibrate between sessions. Does anyone know why? I only have 30 seconds to do this.
I don't mind calibrating each time I start GPL, but it should stay calibrated during the whole time I'm running GPL, from practice to race, right?

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

First off, has this just started, and if so, did you change anything or install any software that might be interfering?

Do you have a virus checker and if so, have you added all GPL and controller software to the exclusions list?

Do you have the Logitech profile running in the background? Look in the Task Manager (right click the start button to find that) and see if you have LWEMon.exe running. I'd recommend you not run it unless you have to map buttons on the wheel to different tasks.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#8 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:05 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 07 April 2019 - 10:36 AM, said:

First off, has this just started, and if so, did you change anything or install any software that might be interfering?

Do you have a virus checker and if so, have you added all GPL and controller software to the exclusions list?

Do you have the Logitech profile running in the background? Look in the Task Manager (right click the start button to find that) and see if you have LWEMon.exe running. I'd recommend you not run it unless you have to map buttons on the wheel to different tasks.

I've had this problem since Tucuman. I've been recalibrating between sessions.  Practice/Qualifying  to Race session.

I just added GPL and my Thrustmaster Control folder to my Virus exclusions. I don't see how this would exclude my calibration between practice/Qualify to the race. GPL keeps running, it should not trigger anything.

I wonder if my controls.cfg should be  read only? Should I change it to read only after I get a good config?

Thanks Bob

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,649 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

In the seconds that it takes to start GPL after hitting the green button in GEM, if I do anything on the desktop like close  word or excel or even just close any window, I gett his same effect of having to calibrate the controls. That is what makes me think that some (but not just any) other program running could cause this.

I'm not sure what files are getting read when a race starts but it sounds like the controls.cfg might be one. Try making it read-only as a test.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Well I made controls.cfg read only and it seemed to work. I didn't have to calibrate when I started GPL and the wheel responded as it should.  More testing needs to be done this week before the race on Saturday.

BTW, I did the read only before I started GPL and with the last calibration I had done, which was a very good calibration I had done earlier today.  Brake set properly, wheel set to .000, everything else just right.

Sim Racing Links