#1 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

I’d like to address all D2 drivers.
You may have read some or all of the chatter about being safe at the start of the D1 race.  And then it turns into quite a disaster with one car eliminated and quite a few cars knocked about.
At racing speeds the T1/T2 chicane is a one lane road.  The problem with the start of the D1 race as far as I could tell is that too many drivers tried to take an ideal line through there at the start and to many cars were near race speed. Completely ignoring what has been preached in oAo for a long time.  STAY IN YOUR LANE AT THE START.  
Even at slower speeds there are spots in T1/T2 where there isn’t room for two lanes. But if we put as a top priority that we want to avoid contact with any another car we can all make it through.  I want to see some give and take between drivers.
Adelaide may have the most dangerous first two turns at the start of any track we race on.
From past races I know that there will be many other dangerous situations on the 1st lap.  If you haven’t spent a lot of time in traffic lately   please be warned that the first lap can be very difficult.
Bob Holada

Edited by bobho-in, 01 March 2018 - 03:00 PM.

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

dropped a piston while running 8th.. coasted into the pits.. ok, might lose 1 spot-
stopped and SHIFT-R wouldn't WORK!!! NOoooooooooooooooo

another "that's never happened before"  .... ahhh the joy of sim racing ~

in pre-race PRACTICE, i had done a PB getting 32.9 !! but couldn't match when it counted in official qual...and started 9th
seemed to be an excellent go from the green and everyone showed massive respect... well done all ~ (assume all, as yet to review replay)

so... interlagos then
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Very difficult to put in a good qualy lap, with all the cars on track. I qualified 12th, I think.  I lost about three places at the start, trying to take it easy into T1. Had a couple of spins, but kept it going.  Overtaking is almost impossible - even in the Lotus - so I just waited for people to make mistakes.  Ended up 9th. :)

#4 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

That was a great start guys.  A liitle contact before T1 but then well behaved through T1/T2.  I could not get in sync with my Honda untill I was far behind everybody else. When I finally got going I was way behind. Made up a few positions but then with 8 laps to go a SCREEN FREEZE. Three cars disappeared at the exact same time.  %$#!%^&*
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#5 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

The race was a complete dumpster-fire for me.
Qualified over 8 seconds off pace, had a good start, but the Logitech Profiler decided that my clutch was working too well as it was and decided to seize it up. Had to clutchless shift every single time, causing multiple spins, a couple of bad accidents in which luckily nothing got broken, and then got lapped 4 laps in.

After the 50th spin, I decided to call it quits before things could go way worse. Better a zero, than a broken car.

I absolutely fucking HATE this track, but you'll be sure I'll get everything back with interests at Interlagos. Even if that means to drive a Honda. :weight_lift2:

Edited by Gabriele Maruca, 03 March 2018 - 12:25 PM.

"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#6 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations to Claudio for the 3rd place finish!

He was in the lead for a while. I was back in about 11 or 12, so I tried to stay on track and hoped to climb to 10th for maybe a point. I could've done it, but I got tired and spun a few times. Notably in the first turn and scared myself and a few drivers who magically through great driving missed me and trees. I wanted to keep the car clean and hopefully score for the team, but alas I couldn't.

Sorry about your screen freeze Bob. you were closing and had passed me after a spin. You made me push and I got a few quick laps in.  I was wondering where you went?

Thanks for the great start guys!

ZZ

ps: I did get a PB of a 1:35.xx during the race. Slower then most, but good enough for me.  Full tanks too!

Edited by zzbusch1, 03 March 2018 - 12:38 PM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#7 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Was surprised to qualify 5th as I never could get a clear lap without mistakes.

I was very nervous at the start, at least we passed T1-2 without incident (well done everybody !) and I spun twice in the first 3 laps before getting in rhythm, I also babied the engine, I wanted the Lotus to last :yu:  was 7th for most of the race and was delighted to see the checkered flag in 5th ! Very hard race....too bad something happened to Nicky who was not far behind me, will have to check the replay...

Oh forgot to mention I was very lucky around mid-race, my screen went to sleep !  I quickly shake the mouse to regain image, was of track but still on asphalt ! Phew !!

see you guys in Brazil !

Alain

Edited by Aljones, 04 March 2018 - 06:08 AM.

" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#8 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

Pretty good race for my 1st with you. Great pleasure.

Been lucky in race (started 10 finished 6) and lucky with the slightly modified default setup. Didn't work on it too much since I was not sure to race, and don't have "already made" setups for that MOD since I didn't race it too often.

Waited about 5 min. after the start of the server to join. Hope I didn't take the place of another driver...

Was afraid for T1 and T2 at start but everything went fine.
Was real FUN and hope to be there next race.

PS. Close your eyes on my not so good English I'm a French Canadian. And It's even worst when I speak  . But as long as we have fun it's OK.

Daniel

#9 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

The sooner I can forget this race the BETTER, frame rate fell through the floor for some reason, itís been fine for weeks, but not today!.
So started 11th, I think, was doing the best I could, but the FPS running at 30 was making it no fun at all, then the engine gave up.

So on to Interlagos.               Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 03 March 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#10 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:28 PM

View Postdaniel0099, on 03 March 2018 - 01:18 PM, said:

PS. Close your eyes on my not so good English I'm a French Canadian. And It's even worst when I speak  . But as long as we have fun it's OK.

Daniel

Salut Daniel ! je suis de St-Constant et toi ?

Alain

Edited by Aljones, 03 March 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#11 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:57 PM

Great start of the season for me. For some strange reason I was feeling comfortable with the car and the track, so it felt OK to push the car to my limit or even a bit beyond. Bob S. took my third place at the start and I settled for fourth for a couple of laps. Managed to squeeze by him again after he went a little wide. I was chasing Claudio and was not expecting to be able to pass him, although I knew my pace was slightly faster. I was lucky once at the end of the back straight to get my shot and was able to get second place. I chased John as hard as I could and came really close (<10 mtrs) on a couple of occasions. But he maintained very nice lines, and secured his well deserved win.
For me the race was over before I knew it, 40 laps of giving absolutely everything. What a blast. From my perspective a very fair race with respect for everyone. Thanks for the room given by all the lapped guys, superb job.

on to Interlagos! Hope to see you all there, good to see we had such a full grid!

Edited by Tames, 03 March 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#12 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

I could not prepare much for this race because I was the last 15 days of vacation on the beach, although prior to my trip I left a setup prepared for the race and qualifying. Therefore, I did not have many expectations this morning when I started training 2 hours before the qualifying time. That's why it was a pleasant surprise my 2nd start position, which for a long time was 1st until John took it from me.
I started the best I could but John did better than me, so I left him behind and got behind him to make T1 and T2 as careful as possible. I was 2nd with Bob behind, I waited for things to settle, trying to stay away from the kerbs that abound in Adelaida and unbalance the car.
For 7 laps I was able to hold the Eagle (and Bob) until Bob lost it and I could get away, and at the same time get closer to John. But Tames came really fast and from lap 12 I had it on my heels (with Bob there nearby). They were 20 laps of pure GPL, always thoroughly the 4 cars very close (with Richard not far in the 5th place). Carlos Reutemann was once asked in which race he had the most fun, and he replied: "In no race did he have time to have fun, which is a very serious matter to have fun", I believe that it can be applied in the GPL to the maximum : there is no time to have fun, just try to make the least amount of mistakes and be attentive to what happens around you. It was even hard to look at the signs. On lap 29 I made a mistake out of Brewery and lost speed to Brabham Straight, this time Tames was very close and took advantage of the suction had no sense plugging it in the braking of the hairpin, so I left place (although I braked as far as possible , I did not give him anything), I got behind and started looking for a place to spend it. But on lap 31 it seemed to me that Tames slowed into T1 and I braked with the car already turning: result, overturning, but miraculously it was on all four wheels and undamaged!!! I lost a position at the hands of Bob and started to change to 10,000 rpm because I was afraid that the rollover would have left the engine weaker (sometimes GPL does very strange things). I begin to approach Bob, but I do not know if I could have passed him. But I think he suffered a disconnection on lap 34 and disappears along with Don! I see that I begin to approach the leader duo , but right to the AVG it occurred to him to do an update or something of the style and the steering wheel G27 was weird. So all I could do was try to get there and I did it.
Congratulations to all those who participated in this tough race and of course to John for his magnificent triumph from start to finish, and to Tames for his 2nd place and for the cleanliness in all the maneuvers.
Until Interlagos

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 03 March 2018 - 05:56 PM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#13 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Well The Replay analyser might suggest it was an easy race but sheesh it definitely wasn't. My eyes were sore by the end of it and I don't think I have been so glad to see the flag at the finish. Never more than a 100m or so between Claudio, Tames and me and sometimes only around 5m.  If we ever come back here again I need to get my braking sorted for the Brabham Hairpin, Both Claudio and Tames were taking big chunks out of any small lead I had there. Only 1 mistake on my part when I clipped the wall exiting the chicane onto the Wakefield Road and then the opposite wall leading into Wakefield Corner. Fortunately one place where I did seem to have the edge was from Racetrack Corner through the chicane so Claudio and Tames just were not close enough to take advantage. Once we were reduced to just Tames and me (Where did you go Claudio)? I knew a passing attempt was coming and I knew exactly where (Brabham Hairpin). So I tried to keep my lines clean and concentrated on getting a good entrance onto the Brabham Straight. Eventually though we joined the straight together and I knew he would outbrake me and go for a block pass and sure enough that's what happened. I stayed wide and was able to maintain some speed through the corner and somehow came out the other side still in front.

Thanks to all who were lapped, difficult to find a decent spot here especially when you have your own battles to fight but everyone was very courteous today.

I found Adelaide a very strange surface to race on, lots of little camber changes which meant even on the back straight I couldn't really relax. I can recommend trying the 2002 circuit, I think that's a much nicer drive, Curbs aren't as brutal either. (Hint for next season's street circuit). :)

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#14 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,577 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

I was holding down a solid last or near-last, when, with 7 or 8 laps to go, a screen freeze!  I thought this slippery track might catch me out, but not that. :orangeconfused:

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#15 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

If ever there was a race where I thought I've had it with GPL, this was it. I almost parked up and walked away for good such was my frustration. I was at a loss to explain what on earth was going on. The race stats says I started 7th and finished 7th but that doesn't even begin to tell the full story. I put in quite a bit of practice for this race, I run quite a lot of full race runs and managed to scrape into the high 1.31s (albeit on fumes) in offline practice. I could lap in the mid 1.32s in practice with the setup I found online and felt I could do alright although not threaten the podium or anything like that - it's the Honda afterall, all revs, overweight and going nowhere fast!

I even had a 20 lap race run on the server on Saturday morning just to confirm fuel consumption. Then come qualifying, I couldn't get out of the 1.33 bracket. I was fine with that, some of us tighten up on race day and we run into traffic etc. No big deal. I'm calm, I'm chilled.

Race start... what on earth just happened to my car? I have zero grip, I mean zero grip. Ok, this is to be expected, just take it easy. I hang on grimly in the opening laps sliding everywhere. The tyres remain stone cold and the car (despite no changes being made to the steering or suspension or diff between the end of qualifying and the race) is over-rotating way too much at turn-in and it's catching me out again and again. I have to keep the brakes on all the way to the exit and be so gentle on the power to get any stability. It doesn't make sense and it's very slow. Even in the short server race I took part in, I wasn't getting this odd behaviour. For instance, I was crossing my arms on the steering at the apex of the tight turns in practice but in the race, I didn't need anywhere near the same amount of lock to turn in. I was scrambling around in my head trying to learn how to drive whatever it is I've got.

How can doing the same things yield different outcomes if the inputs are pretty much the same? I've noticed this in the past on multiple occasions and I'm sure I'm going to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist by saying this but I have a theory that the player car physics fidelity isn't always consistent between offline and online and the 'loss' in fidelity (whatever it may be!) seems to worsen with number of non-AI cars on the grid. The more cars, the more the effect. I guess it's just me because everybody else was driving around happily (I presume) so the problem must be me!

My first spin occurs 3 laps in and I drop from 8th to 14th. The spin occurs at a pathetically low speed. The annoying thing is, I'm not even on the limit, nowhere near it. Ok, let's make this our only mistake and carry on, I think to myself. By lap 6, I'm up to 12th and up with Roberto in another Honda. I spin again but this time I can take it because it's my fault, too eager on the power trying to get close to line up a potential pass at the end of the back straight. I gather myself together and continue only to have another spin at walking pace a few corners up the road. By this time, I'm really losing my sense of humour. Same lap, barely a corner or two later and another bloody spin at walking pace! I'm positively livid by now at just crap the car is handling. This was when I almost parked up and walked away but I was just past the pits so for whatever reason, I decided to continue around.

By now, I'm down to 17th and utterly dejected but I can see some moving cars in the far distance and something in me says, let's chase those cars down. I think I had learned to drive what I had by now, basically, drive like I'm on ball-bearings.
By lap 19, I was up to 11th due to a mixture of overtaking, extremely generous driving by Messrs. Nilsson and Busch who seemingly let me past and mistakes from others which took them off-road. I was still making my own little mistakes but no spins - yet. By now, I was up with Roberto and we had quite a good scrap for several laps which was nice.

Lap 24 and the leaders were coming through. I could see John, Tames and Claudio were very close together so I slowed right down and let all three go as I did not want to get involved. I had to do this around the twisty bits and it cost me dear because Roberto disappeared up the road. I noticed in the replay that John acknowledged my moving aside which was nice to see. Ever the gentlemen, Mr. Hammonds. The leaders got by Roberto on the straight more or less at the end of lap 24/start of lap 25. Roberto and I were back together again soon much to my surprise because he had to slow to let Simpson through in the Eagle. Game on for 9th and 10th!

I dived down the inside at the end of the back straight but unfortunately 36fps GPL decreed that we had made contact. I do not believe we touched at all but the end result was, we both spun. Luckily, we both got going again and in a sort of natural justice, Roberto got away first. Fair enough, I was just relieved to be still running with all four corners seemingly intact. While recovering, Hutchinson and Chapman got by/lapped me. Mr. Chapman was obviously having a very good race in the Cooper! He was quicker in clean air but I could hang with him in some sections. I followed him for a wee while until we both caught Roberto (yes, him again!).

Roberto was shown the blue flag very late when the Cooper was right up his backside, this was going into the last tight right-hander before the pit straight. I think Roberto slowed quite a bit (surprised perhaps by the sudden blue flag?) and the Cooper had to dive out of the 8-wheel formation to avoid rear-ending him. I was caught out by how much those two were slowing down and was forced to go three wide and execute an overtaking move I wasn't planning on. When the Cooper moved out, his front right very lightly touched my rear left (if GPL is to be believed!) and I was deflected into Roberto. Sorry again mate. It took him into the sand pit but again, much to my relief, he was able to continue (no doubt cursing that bloody idiot Cheeseman!). This was at the end of lap 26/start of lap 27. I kept the Cooper in sight more or less as a means of keeping my concentration although he was slowly drawing away.

My pit board had me in 8th by lap 31 with Mr. Down just ahead of me. Like Roberto, he too was in a Honda and so naturally, battle ensued. It didn't last long though as I spun again (how many times now?). I resigned myself to 8th place until Mr. Hutchinson unfortunately misplaced a grenade (pin removed, obliviously) and said grenade found its way into his V12. I was up to 7th. Very tough luck for Andrew but I was now back to where I started.

Make of that long rambling story, what you will. I actually like Adelaide; it's one of those circuits which demands the car is chucked about - and I quite like doing that. All arms and elbows signifying nothing! I'm not sure I want the RA300 for Interlagos. It could be a nightmare keeping the back-end from swapping ends on a track like that.

PS: I loathe GPL sometimes and want nothing to do with it during such moments of intense dislike but sometimes, I'm ok with it.

Edited by cg7aa, 04 March 2018 - 04:50 AM.

#16 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Hi George,
What wheel do you use? I have had some issues with my G27 recently where it's fine one time but if I restart GPL later sometimes the calibration loses the rotation setting and resets back to 180 lock to lock and I have to open the controller settings and simply save them (The actual rotation on the display still displays what I had set it to originally).

Hi Alain,
Assuming you don't have your monitor set to sleep in the windows settings. . .
A few have had your issue. Rob F and me to name 2. I found a utility called joy2key which allows you to map joystick/wheel functions to key strokes. I set it to action a right mouse click when I press the throttle. It resolved it for me. Might be worth a look.

[EDIT] I hadn't checked recently but it seems it's available from a number of sites, but I would recommend you grab it from the official one rather than "Sourceforge" or similar to avoid download managers etc being installed on your system. Oh and it's called JoyToKkey not joy2key. Hompage here... https://joytokey.net/en/ [/EDIT]

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 04 March 2018 - 08:51 AM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#17 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Thanks John, will take a look at that utility !

Alain

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

Great job in general D2. Very disciplined start through the chicane. This is an incredible hard/technical track. I remember disliking this track very much initially. It has to grow on you, but when you find the groove it's very rewarding. It's not easy to pull off a cleanish lap.

Congrats to John, driving better than ever, solid as a rock. Great to see many still improving in the league. Also admirable job Tames, and Claudio! Great job by my teamie Mick finishing 4th in the Cooper, especially having to do so much late in the week. Good recovery by Ronnie, after losing a lot of time early on. Commiserations to the DNFs.

#19 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:58 AM

View Postsnafu, on 04 March 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

Hi George,
What wheel do you use? I have had some issues with my G27 recently where it's fine one time but if I restart GPL later sometimes the calibration loses the rotation setting and resets back to 180 lock to lock and I have to open the controller settings and simply save them (The actual rotation on the display still displays what I had set it to originally).

John, I use a G25. It's set up using the Windows setup rather than the Logitech profiler thing.

Regards
George

#20 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

Warning: moaning ahead

The good:

Was well enough to drive after three days not being able to stand up straight/ walk properly.
Had hot shower while others qualified and iGOR warmed up
Got into race with minutes to spare
Got to drive the best car for someone else
Had better race pace in my own BRM vs Ferrari
Had better race pace in  Ferrari than the four other fast cars.
Found out early that more fuel = more better
Used miracle default setups on both cars to good effect unchanged but for added fuel
Could eat curbs for breakfast if needed
Could pass almost anywhere
Bo let me by (twice)
Knew I could win after seeing Q times
Knew I would win for 3/4 of the race
Losing all sorts of time to lead and then clawing it back down to about 14s

The Bad:

Not winning!
No chance for pole - see iGOR
Slowest fastest laps in GPL history
Setup menu still doesn't work -fuel and top left are all I can adjust  setup manager wrecks gpl install and necessitates fresh windows install when GEM won't uninstall cleanly
Bill Gates
Too short top gear leads to coasting
On 6th lap when I don't short shift or coast Niky hits me up the arse and spins me going into the hairpin (more of a  wash - was scared Bo would see me crash his car - with Niky's help I no longer had to worry:)
Coasting leads to tyres going right cold
Half spin three times in wake of car ahead coming out of slowest corners (even in the midst of a miracle I still have this ability)
Last one while catching Simpson makes me realize I've squandered once in a lifetime pace advantage
Take too long to decide whether to settle up or get a 30.
Start to warm tyres back up to temp and blow clutch turning onto straight - not exactly sure what I did or did not do to exacerbate this to the point of destruction but by itself I'm not bothered by it. Definitely bad for Vulture. Very sorry for them.
My first DNF in 8 races.

Additional notes:

The Honda Armada were great - George had some big laps and Dan will be great to race with once Pepe returns from vacation.

Mick looked great as usual.

I watched the time diff between the front four intensely and it look like a real ding dong fight.

To my fellow G1 competitors, not losing a lap while getting lapped is better than I would have imagined. Petition your team leaders for better working conditions.

AH

Sim Racing Links