Nurburgring

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:37 AM

I predicted a week ago to my team that just finishing here would guarantee a 6th place overall. But our D2 drivers did very well today with just three or four DNFs. I was fortunate to have overtaken Bo, my team captain, at the start --- either he let me by or his BRM really is a torque-pig --- and I stayed in 8th place for almost the entire race (Kayo overtook me at one point but crashed out a lap later). So will I take an 8th with no car damage at the Ring? You bet.

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

i had practiced starts... and even beat a Ferrari offline.. but today, the car(s?) ahead bogged and i was forced to not accelerate  ~

Kayo also overtook me, so i was content to finish (goal)  after he crashed i got lazy and with 2 to go, i went up some embankment, i thought i saw some nude picnic going on...but the car flipped and i used my 'free' sh-R :*(
lost one spot to Baldassarri... and came home -p10

yay
congrats to Francois!
the podium
and all finishers - special 'well done' to Don Dodge a well deserved checker
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

Finally Francois! You must have had a heart attack at the beginning of L2 ;)

Cheers,

Andrew

#4 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Well... 'the green hell' did make it's promises come true...

I thought i was doing well.. i was able to pass 2 drivers.. untill a small error took away my left front wheel.. i tried to limb back to the pits.. but that was impossible.. so i had to seize my race...

also... what hell OBS???? For some reason it didn't record the sound of the game....

I might be able to salvage it, by recording the replay and use the sound from that and join it with the live recording...
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#5 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,702 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Finally finished a race!  And at the Green Hell, to boot!  Great fun with Bob Holada!  Have a good summer, all of you!

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#6 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

Messed up qualy, 5 seconds below my Pb. Tried a bit in the beginning, but I simply don't have enough track knowledge here. Before this race I never did anything serious concerning the ring. Actually glad I finished without any damage.
Congrats Francois, dominating from the start. Very well done! Also congrats to the rest of the podium.
Still in the lead, but I am very much aware that it takes only one or two screwups in the second half of the season. Looking forward to some great races again starting in august. Catch you later!

Edited by Tames, 26 May 2019 - 02:31 AM.

#7 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:17 PM

I prepared myself for this race as always, but this time I cut the circuit into sections that corresponded to the sectors of the Pribdula. But the main thing was the concentration, if I achieved it 100%, 80% of the success was assured. Four distractions almost prevent me from reaching the podium, or destroy the Ferrari, which would have been a failure.
From the free tests of this morning it was clear that François was going to be intractable, and except for some accident it was going to be very difficult to fight him the first position.
In the classification I had the first distraction: the plan was to give a relatively calm lap to make sure to leave between the first 4 places and a lap with the pedal to the floor of the car, to everything or nothing. But seeing the pitboard that marked me 1st after my first lap (I knew François was ahead on the road) made me see it back, I lost my braking point in Norkehere and finished my classification. I went out later when there were 5 minutes left with the tanks full and the time I did gave me great hopes for the race, if not distracted me ...
At the start, the second distraction left me in neutral when the flag fell and I stood and the engine spinning at 10,000,000 rpm, I was passed by Daniel and Mick. I was 4th, then in the 1st lap Mick spun in Karusell and passed to the 3rd position in pursuit of Daniel, but without passing the engine of 10,000 rpm, because I was afraid I had been resented by my mistake at the start. He escaped me at a rate of 1 or 2 seconds per lap, in Nurburg just a few thousandths of a second, but he was very consistent.   In the 5th lap I do my 3rd distraction, and by far the most dangerous: I stepped lightly ground the grass in the fast descent of Schwedenkreuz, I only managed to provoke a complete spin to try to slow down the speed and then the blow was less brutal. With my heart in my throat, I resumed my march and completed that lap with many precautions, especially in the fast sectors, but after taking the curve under the bridge of Antoniusbuche as always I followed the last 2 laps as fast as I could, but Daniel was very far away and did not make mistakes. The last distraction was in the final lap in Pflanzgarten II, where after landing more scattered than usual I gently hit the rail of that curve. From then on I just wanted to get there with the car in one piece.
Congratulations to François and Daniel, and to all those who finished the race, and why not to those who were encouraged to start it.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#8 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

I heard rumors that Sir Jackie Stewart had a nickname for the Nürburgring: "A walk in the park" or something similar. Therefore I was very confident that I would even without being familiar with the track I could easily make some coins for the team. ;)
Anyway it was a lot of fun and I am very happy for Francois. Well done! Also congrats to the podium of course and all who made it through this tour de force. I am a bit disappointed because my car was heavily damaged and I am not sure why? There was a mess at the start and I backed up and than I was hit hard in the back so for the rest of the race my neck hurt a little bit. Maybe that was the reason? Anyway even if I had a heavy damaged car I could drive my PB in the last lap. GPL  is full of surprises :dunce:
Have a nice summer and I am looking forward to the next races. Thank you for giving me such a great time of joy and excitement! :beerchug:

#9 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

Yes Andrew , the bad witch with his black cat was waiting me in turn1 on lap 2 . Another stupid mistake , didn't see my usual braking marks ( a round bush and a white knob on the right side ) .  I was very lucky to re enter quick without damage .
During qualification , I was a bit nervous ( as usual) and I understood after that I could do a 4th lap .  So I watched Claudio during his last lap , smoking a cigarette in only four puffs !!
My best start this season , I kept my lane , I hearded someone beside me on the left .  T1 on the outside line and first to enter T2 .

Runnin the race at a very cautious rythm , rpm's at noon no more ( I broke 3 engines in free trials) , pit board told me " Dany -5 , -8 , -10 , -12" .
2 alerts : Bottom touch at Brünnchen with an erratic steering and a half Karrussel on the external line .  And the last lap very slow .

I congrats all of you and I hope to see you at the Targa .
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#10 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:59 AM

Francois, as your attorney, I advise you to slow down. As I have repeatedly told you for the last year, if you keep driving like this you and Tames are going to wind up in the shark tank of D1. You do not --- I repeat, do not --- want to be in that aquarium. They eat people like you guys for mid-day snacks. You think you can be comfortable with 30/85 ramp angles and 48% front brake biases? No, you can't, and only people who are from lands far away --- lands like Alpha Centauri, for example --- can handle cars with setups like that.

This is my last warning to you, mon ami. Pretend you have trouble beating me or move forward and be damned.  :)

#11 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:36 AM

Brilliant as always :-))

My teamboss has a different opinion for some strange reason...

#12 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:56 AM

Not much to say.  This is my favourite track and like Pepe, I was envisaging more people crashing out and me finishing higher.  Despite my practicing, I was way off my PB - 8:20 in the Lotus in 2003 - how on earth did I do that - and about 3 seconds slower than I had achieved this week - 8:35, which put me in P7.

I actually got a good start and overtook two cars, but within a couple of laps a silly spin put me back into P7, and there I remained.

#13 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

Engine broken  during qualifying for an off-turns on one bump in the last straight, therefore I was at the bottom of the grid.  In the race I tried to drive as much conservative as possible, however the position reached was due mainly to other accidents.

Congratulations to Francois for having got this Master Degree at the Driving University, namely the "Green Hell"

Happy Summer

#14 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Soory guys.. i don't think i can resolve this issue: the video has been recorded without sound, so i tried to record the save file and use that sound, but discovered this: the speed of the replay is either faster or slower than the realtime...

And i can't get the sound to synchronise...

Edited by MK3424, 26 May 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#15 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

Update! Now i'm getting somewhere!!!!

Using frame by frame referencing and clipping (start flag raising is a single frame and shifting is also a single frame) i was able to clip the video fragments.

And then i had to export the sound and then import into audacity, edit the duration speed as close as possible and then import it back into kdenlive.

And now i'm rendering the 'raw footage' and then edit that down for the final cut.

I'll post the video link when it's up!

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 11:47 AM

It's up! https://www.youtube....h?v=uesyVYaFMck

#17 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Kayo for your efforts!
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#18 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostClaudio Pablo Navonne, on 26 May 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

Thanks Kayo for your efforts!

Thanks! You have no idea how many tries it took to get it as good as it is now...

cutting the raw footage from both videos to match the sound frame by frame.. and then having to edit the speed of the soundtrack in audacity, bacause the replay video ran faster than the live recording...

#19 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

You're awesome Kayo!
racecar is racecar spelled backward

Sim Racing Links