17 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Michiel and I were battling together approaching Lesmo 1 when he suddenly disappeared for a few seconds.
I got a little wide but I had no idea where he could be.

Suddenly he re-appeared but he was just about inside me and we both got in a teammate sandwich...
I was knocked out and he got knocked to the back of the grid.

Last race I got also f****d by glitchy online antics and this makes my blood boil.
Because again I get no points and a damage bill for something I could do very little about. Honestly. :boom:

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 23 September 2017 - 09:28 AM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Well...that escalated quickly...

A mediocre qualifying but i would never have ended further up the grid even if I did a PB, fast pace up front, especially from newcomer Tom, well done!

The race...well the start went very well, I had a fleet of Ferrari's on my tail and barely kept in front driving safe lines in case it was becoming 2 wide, not sure what happened then, around lap 3, i had occasional fps drops but then all cars around me vanished for about 10 seconds and I decided to keep going in case they flashed back at some point, going slow then is a bigger rsk still, but it appears when they re-appeared I was merged with Yannick, of all people and we flew though the air...I spun the car in the good direction after most of the field had passed to find him upside down with a wheel off and my heart sank low, not sure if everybody had it or just me, if it was just me I can only apologise...I have never had this happen for years now, and it seemed there was no other option at the time, sorry :(

Then slowly having to crawl back time, I passed Burt, (I think, in Brab) and he got a run back on me going into Ascari, me on inside but it seems he went wide there and off in the rail, not sure if it was warp...again, commiserations if it was :(

Than after passing Eric, and coming up behing Don and another Brab I simply ran a little too wide out of Parabolica and lostmy left rear, race over and a terrible feeling after having the idea of a race long battle with the Fezza's. Good luck to the finishers and I will like to know if anyone else had problems too, or saw me warping a lot compared to others...

Disappointed with myself for making a rookie error at the end of my race, and with the turn of events earlier in the race, nobody likes to see it, here's hoping it goes better next time :(
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#3 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

Oh and before I forget, well done Rob with the 26,6 in pre race practice, that's quick :)

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 23 September 2017 - 09:41 AM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#4 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

MAN!  I'm really PO'd at anyone who'd make a pass attempt into Lesmo who so easily could have done so in total confidence and safety on the straights following.  My Honda is a wreck!

There should be a law against Lesmo overtakes.  Grrr...

#5 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

No problem Michael I went wide to give you room.  Never touched anything.

A Brbham PB in qualifying.

Had a great race w Doni early.  Honda power vs Brabham handling :) Took me  long time to make  a pass stick.

The last quarter Pete was closing and I had to press hard to keep him from closing the gap.
Drove about as good as I can.  Finished 10th.

Congrats to the podium.

#6 PeterA

PeterA

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I don't understand the basis of your PO'dness Doni (about the crashing out I could understand..), it's racing and corners are best for overtaking.. besides the tactic was very clear, instead of me passing you on the backstraight and you then passing me at the start/finish straight and then holding me up in the lesmos, I pass you at the lesmos, you pass me at the back straight, I pass you at the start/finish and then I have the chance to pull away in lesmos.. otherwise we'd be stuck in the merry-go-around for ages and I'd never catch Burt.. Didn't catch Burt anyhow as he did really well and being lapped didn't go smoothly for me..

Grats to Rob with the win and I'll do my best to forget this race as contact with Farina in T1 on L4 or so and a oneman band accident at the back straight cost me loads of time.. also spinning on the second last lap chasing Burt desperately :-P

Edited by PeterA, 23 September 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Michiel :)

First run in quali was shaky, but second run improved and put in a couple of good laps. Got lost setting up the car this week and simply loaded an old stock Leo Grandis stiff setup. Usually I run rather soft. Tweaked it to be my racesetup as well with taller 4th/5th gearings and lower tirepressures.

Anyway, got Pole. My getaway was again so-so. Too much revs initially and then bogging down a bit. Have practised other starts like many do, shifting into 1st, but not comfy with that yet. I release the clutch still. However no one had a run, Tris had a bad start from the front row and Lore was close behind me. First laps got a slight gap, until Lore dropped, quite a shame since he had about the same racepace as me. Roy already was a few seconds behind, gap stalled a bit at 5s but then gradually the gap grew bigger. Race was uneventful, lapped cars were excellent, predictable. Thanks.  Two laps before the end my upshifting button starts to fail and overrev the engine a few times...

Happy to see the finish and to win. Wasn't as easy as it looked like driving the LR tire on the edge and got lucky mechanically. Well done to Roy and Tris for podium, and to all finishers. Commiserations to the retirements. ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 September 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#8 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Robert but I don't think we had similar racepaces, sadly for me ;)
In fact your 26.6 quite tells the story. Grats!!!

About my race, I've just made way too much errors. Pulling out some decent laptimes is one thing, running a whole race close to the edge with no errors at all, or only very small ones, is a whole different story, and at the moment I'm nowhere near to do that.
That's how great GPL is!!!!

Grats to Robert, to the podium and all the finishers.

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#9 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:41 PM

lol at Lorenzo's avatar :)
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#10 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

Grats Rob and Tris! Great drive :)

Qual didn't go as planned because i slightly tap the guard rail at Ascari and crash so i hade to wait 20 minutes.
In the end i was 4rd on the grit and i saw that as a challenge for the race.
I hade a good start and overtake Tris on the long straight before the first corner.
From there i was behind Lorenzo batteling for 2nd place, from which i knew already before the race that he will be quick.
I was behind him for some laps but unfortunately he brake a little to late at parabolica and spin in the gras.
From there it was a lonely race till the end and finish 2nd and was happy with it because i hade not so much practice as i wanted.
Even if i hade more practice i probably can drive around 26.7 or 26.8 still not enough to beat Rob on this track.
Therefore in the end i was happy with my 2nd place because that was the max i could do anyway.

See you next time at the Glen :)

#11 tom_g

tom_g

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hello !

First race here with the Brabhy... I never experienced racing it in Monza... Quite impossible to be in front.
Acceptable qualy time which put me in the 7th place behind Eagle and Lotus drivers ;)

I knew the race was going to be not easy, I spent all the time trying to keep a reasonable gap with Michel just in front of me.
He was always a little more than 100m in front, just enough to have him in my field of view.
Michel lost few seconds at the end of the race while overtaking a lapped driver, then I was able to follow him in straights gaining few speed in the slipstream...
The 2 remaining laps were nice, great battle, but too risky to overtake him... !

Congrats to the podium :)

See you next time !

ToM :drive1:

Edited by tom_g, 24 September 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#12 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

View PostRoy, on 24 September 2017 - 05:35 AM, said:

...unfortunately he brake a little to late at parabolica and spin in the gras...

That was in fact the only off-the-track I had yesterday that I'm not responsible for. If you look closely at my onboard camera, race time 0:07:54 (server replay), you'll notice my steering wheel turning even if only impercectibly to the left f()ç*ing up my whole turn. That wasn't actually me really, it was a sudden "hit" or "kick" from the steering wheel itself, thing that kept happening randomly all around the track once in a while using that particular setup. But, hey, I knew I was accepting some risks using it... it was just so fast... ;)

L

Edited by mellilore, 25 September 2017 - 12:13 AM.

GPL FOREVER

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,478 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thought it was lag Loré, thanks for explaining. Your pace was at least as good as mine when you were catching Tom G. and Michael. Still impressive you have the pace, it's just a  bit of racing rust and bad luck.

Just a reminder that Iestyn's racewin 3 seasons ago was slightly faster than mine. To put things in perspective. Loré and Roy weren't at their best, and I had expected more from Tris who beat me a night before (granted, on lower fuel). I guess he got crowded after the start, and his problem is arguably the LF tire overheating. And Tom Guérout was excellent in the Brabham, without top end.

Shame Michiel and Yannick suffered from the warp Michiel had. Noticed a few racing incidents, I think cars on the outside try to race too close under the current conditions on the server. I'd rather concede or give more room than to risk (lag) contact. It's hard to find a balance to be positive agressive and to give in tho...

Not choosing sides just seeing it my way, always easy in hindsight...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 25 September 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#14 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostEFulghum, on 23 September 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

lol at Lorenzo's avatar :)
Yeah! Funny and very true also :)
L
GPL FOREVER

#15 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

Hi, fellas.  After a near-perfect drive(for me)marred only by a one-time, tiny nibble at the curb in the Curva Grande, I have nothing to show for it but a binned Honda.  As a mechanism to prevent such a scenario being repeated...

POLICY STATEMENT

Herein to take effect immediately...

I shall no longer offer the opportunity to my fellow competitors to make an inside pass at Lesmo1 in any Monza configuration.  I've been done over quite enough times by that maneuver in my GPL career and it will no longer be available(unless you wish to take to the grass; :)).  About to be passed for position or even lapped, the door will be shut firmly long before any reasonable chance of a pass is a consideration.  Thank you.

Doni

#16 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 September 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

Hi, fellas.  After a near-perfect drive(for me)marred only by a one-time, tiny nibble at the curb in the Curva Grande, I have nothing to show for it but a binned Honda.  As a mechanism to prevent such a scenario being repeated...

POLICY STATEMENT

I shall no longer offer the opportunity to my fellow competitors to make an inside pass at Lesmo1 in any Monza configuration.  I've been done over quite enough times by that maneuver in my GPL career and it will no longer be available(unless you wish to take to the grass; :)).  About to be passed for position or even lapped, the door will be shut firmly long before any reasonable chance of a pass is a consideration.  Thank you.

Doni

RESPONSE FROM THE DEPUTY STEWARD

As long as you commit to your line early and hold it, fine. That's your right as leading car, consistent with already existing rules and standards of racing. There's no need to devise a special Doni policy about it.

Michael

#17 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

A few days before Monza, I ran into Tristan and Tom Guérout on the server. Before I was able to engage them in conversation, I received a phone call that required my attention, so I couldn't stay to chat. I had never met Tom before, but I knew the name from other leagues. I knew he was quick. Very quick. That impression was reinforced by the time he set on the server that evening (a 1:27.3x in the Brabham, as I recall). I was hoping that that time was slipstream-aided, because there was no way I could come close to matching it, even in a Lotus.

Honestly, Monza is not one of my better tracks. I've simply never related well to the place. In training I implemented a few setup tricks which helped. Despite nearly matching my personal best in qualifying, good for only 6th on the grid(!), I knew I wouldn't be mixing it up with the guys in front of me, all in Lotuses and Eagles. It was really the guys behind me that I was more concerned about. For Tom to have posted the fastest non-Lotus/Eagle time, and to have set such a good one in a Brabham no less, meant that I was going to have my hands full with him today.

And that's exactly how it turned out. More on that later.

I jumped Gerd in the Eagle off the start line. My goal in the opening laps was to latch onto the slipstream of whoever was in front of me (it ended up being Tristan) while trying to drop the cars behind. I was able to do that and it proved critical. By the time I lost Tristan's slipstream, Tom (who had also passed Gerd by then) had lost mine. There was only a 1-second gap separating me from Tom, but that one second was enough to keep him from gaining my slipstream. My goal from that point on was simply to keep him from gaining it. For the full length of the race, we two turned nearly identical lap times, with the gap never exceeding 2 seconds.

Everything was tense but going smoothly until a few laps from the end when I caught lapped traffic in a bad spot (entering the Lesmos). That eliminated my 1-second cushion to Tom and allowed him to latch onto my slipstream for those final laps. Exiting the fastest corners (2nd Lesmo and Parabolica) I tried extra hard to break the slipstream, wandering off the racing line, forcing him to try to follow in my tracks. I was confident that my movements wouldn't be considered weaving or blocking, because I could tell that Tom wasn't close enough to pull out of my slipstream to get side by side. Both the replay and Tom's forum comments suggest to me that my behavior was not unsportsmanlike.

Nevertheless, exiting 2nd Lesmo on the final lap, he was right on my tail. He was there all the way through Ascari. Even before we entered Ascari I decided that I would hold the right-hand line down Retifilo Centrale into the hard braking zone into Parabolica. If he was going to pass me, he'd have to do it on the outside of Parabolica. Things didn't go quite as I planned. In fact, they could have been ruinous to us both, but I got lucky that they weren't, because if they had been ruinous it would have been my fault. I wasn't able to hold the inside line into Parabolica. In fact I slid wide right in front of him. He took this opportunity to duck down inside me for the apex of Parabolica. Now, through the final curve of the final lap, we were side by side, him holding the inside line, me the outside, charging toward the Start/Finish line. It was basically a drag race at that point -- one in which superior Lotus horsepower proved decisive. Thank you, Tom, for a very satisfying battle. Thank you also for your excellent race awareness in the final corner. My mistake could have cost us both, but thanks to you, it didn't.

So I held on to 4th place in a drama that partially re-enacted the real-life drama played out by winner John Surtees and runner-up Jack Brabham in the actual 1967 Italian Grand Prix: side-by-side into Parabolica, inside car running wide, outside car ducking underneath, then a drag race to the finish line.

It was very good also to see a fuller field of cars. Great to see some familiar faces (Roy, Lorenzo, Peter) return to the grid, a returning driver (Enrique), and one new to the league (Tom). Good performances everywhere -- just look at those consistency stats! See you at Watkins Glen.

Michael

#18 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 September 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

POLICY STATEMENT

Doni

Note for myself: Pass Donnie on the outside of Lesmo 1 ;)
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links