• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

So, here's my tale.

I've been buried in papers all week long and I had really little time to practice or see the forums, but I hoped to do my best.

16:35 - I fire up iGOR, get into the server, notice everyone is clipping like hell.
16:36 - Got back to GEM, selected the 60PFS Patch V2 instead of the "NEWMOD" one, same result.
16:37 - Bo told me we weren't using the 60 FPS patch at all due to issues. Got to desktop again.
16:38 - Deselected the 60FPS patches in GEM and loaded iGor.
16:42 - Still no iGOR running.
16:43 - Surely something has gone sideways, so I decide to reboot the machine.
16:45 - Still no iGOR working. Ran GEM and the PC rebooted by itself.
16:49 - The PC entered in a fucking loop. Lucky me.
16:50 - After cutting the power and restarting everything, FINALLY got back to the desktop without a hitch.
16:51 - Fired up GEM.
16:52 - GPL is running, I try to join via the multiplayer window.
16:53 - GPL crashes and takes Windows with it.
16:55 - Second try after the reboot, same result.
16:57 - Noticing iGOR still didn't want to work at all, I settle again for the multiplayer screen.
16:57 - Crashed again.
16:58 - Looked at the GEM settings, the little fucker decided to set the rasterizer to "SOFTWARE" and was causing it to crash. Reverted to "OPENGLV2".
16:59 - Started GPL, it asks me for a new player profile.
17:00 - I restart GPL, no new player was asked, check the multiplayer screen, plugged in the IP and password...
17:01 - "NO NEW CONNECTIONS ACCEPTED. CONNECTION CLOSED."

17:02 - https://youtu.be/ohBQ59OXnYM?t=1m31s
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#2 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:03 AM

Unlucky season this year. I was walking happy into 6th, then I was kicked ass. With the hurry to recover engine broken

#3 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:05 AM

Well, that was disappointing.  I qualified 9th and had some great early laps with "atfx" - sorry, not sure who you are on the forum.  After a few laps, I ducked inside at T1, not even attempting to pass.  However, he seemed to lose it, and I managed to get through.  From my point-of-view, I didn't touch you, but I don't know how it was for you?

Running in 6th, lap 15, just touched the grass after T2, shot across the track, up the bank and flipped over.  Inexplicable error, and I still can't believe it.  Maybe I'll get some good luck for a change, soon? :(

#4 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:14 AM

Made a big spin in lap 2... was battling for 12th spot... untill random engine failure ended my race prematurely.. thankfully i finally managed to record the race.. i'll post the YT link when it's done... after i take some needed rest..

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:23 AM

qual was about what i expected/hoped.. p6
green and its a clean start from my view, except lost a place to Andrew :P

things settled into a pattern and i ran most of the race in p5 after Mick had an off, then retired :(
then Andrew had a spin and i was gifted p4

the mid race till last 5 were almost like practice.. i was hoping for most consistent and a p4... came upon Niky, between t1 and t2 and he moved right as we were on the short straight.
i should have waited for the back straight -  or Niky could have moved left to give me the line, but i was impatient and committed to overtake .... lost it, did a massive slide that allowed the 'gift' to be returned to Andrew... crying now, i race the last 2 laps hoping my TEAMMATE would 'give it back' once more ;)

p5 at the checker ~  satisfied :)
grats to John/Claud/Bob
off to BELGIUM!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#6 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,588 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

15th to 7th - great result for this backmarker!  Spun once, but the field was way spread out by then and I didn't lose a position.  The fight for first looked really tight as they came by me!  Congrats to my teammie!

Don

Edit:  Those fast left-handers are just a hoot when you hit them right!  Well, almost right in my case.

Edited by DDodge, 26 May 2018 - 10:36 AM.

Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#7 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

I made a dream start and I was 8th in the early laps ( with ronnie nilsson in the mirrors ) .  He touched me in T1 when I closed the door ( i don't see you in mirror) .
After that my goal was Don Dodge , but I made a spin in T3 and the same fault the lap after ,
Finishing 8th , my best place - Money , money , to buy a Cooper !!!!
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#8 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

First off, Sorry to Bo and the Vultures. I didn't know what had happened with Niky until I tried to lap him myself and when there was a yellow for their incident I slowed down and had my own off. While running through the grass I Initially thought Bo's lotus was Niky's brabham but that wasn't the case. I tried to clear Niky quickly  but to no avail and ran out of laps to go for fastest lap which was really all that was on offer after the race I drove today. I didn't consider the G and coin  permutations prior to the race and that was just sloppy on my part. I cost Vulture coins today. I should have paid attention to the lap count as I did in Austria and let Bo back through.

The rest of the event was just plain sloppy. I did a lap in Q then messed up the braking for an accident scene going into club, ending up on my side. When 5 mins came around I got stuck in a save as loop and only left with time for a lap. It was decent enough all things considered but I needed a 27 not a 29.

In the race I got a good start and knowing that I'd be strongest out of the box  vs later on I made decent headway until I lost the pedals going across S/F on the 6th lap. By the time I got them plugged back in I'd spun in T1 and lost 7 secs to Bo. I had a further pedal issue in T2-4 several laps later. After the first issue I scaled back to confront the new reality and  had trouble keeping up with Bo. I was good relative to John and the rest of the podium but now 30 seconds down. Eventually I had a couple of offs all of my own making but otherwise was stuck in no man's land. The real drama was  in lapping cars. All but a few either wanted to race me or had big offs  right in front of me. There were two, possibly three that I was lucky to escape in Woodcote. I need to change how I approach lapping people because it just doesn't work for me. It could be that I am a natural backmarker or just bad luck or just consistently bad decision making but whatever the case I need to come up with some answers and make changes.

This was a golden opportunity to  be in the mix for a podium and with everything I got up to I wasn't even close. Hopefully I can bounce back at Spa.
Thanks again to Bo and the  vultures for their fast car. They deserved better on all fronts.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 26 May 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#9 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

Kayo, what are you shifting at?

To get the green bean into the 28s I found myself shifting right before 10000. I could only do that for a half dozen laps before the temps got to 205 and I'd start shifting at 9500 to settle things down. I could drive all day at 9500 but I wasn't able to get under 29 no matter how hard I tried. Part of that is my lack of comfort on low fuel so your mileage may vary. I had big heat management issues at Tandil and Austria in the BRM  and staying a gear higher in slower corners fixed a lot of it but I couldn't do that consistently in Austria and sort of yoyoed which parts of the track I focused on to help the situation. Incidentally, When I got to Silverstone I took my overheating Austria setup and it was perfect for most of the lap. I had a very short stay in 6th at the end of hangar but the rest of the shift points around the track were better than what I ended up with after rejigging for silverstone. Diff between the two ratio sets  was about .2 sec per lap with me driving to the the good for the rejigged gear set. I didn't think that was enough of an advantage when you added in the overheating.

PS check out Peter's D1 laps in GPLRA. You should be able to see what he did well enough to find out what , if anything , that needs to be changed. If it is just random pray to a different racing god next time out.

Andrew

#10 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostAndrew Hutchinson, on 26 May 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Kayo, what are you shifting at?

10.000 or 10500 max

#11 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:02 PM

Well, I have to be honest and say that was most unexpected. If I look at the track map I feel it should be a great track but for me it just doesn't seem to deliver in the same way as a track like Snetterton does, I find some of the corners a complete mystery as to the fastest way through unfortunately most of these seem to lead onto really fast sections where carrying the speed is essential for a good lap time...

I never quite found the rhythm I thought I had leading upto Q but still crept into the 1:27's which was good enough to squeeze Claudio and Bob out.

Fortunately Claudio was between me and Bob "Megastart" Simpson so I was able to keep the lead into T1. The gap between Claudio and me went up and down throughout the race and as we slowly dropped Bob S I knew that had I made a mistake and let him through he was quite a bit faster than me, I could have attacked the rurns onto the Hangar and Farm straights with a bit more pace had I needed to but so much time can be lost screwing those up I decided that losing 0.5s per lap was preferable to losing 20s spinning off into the scenery and the chance of hitting something and ending my race.

I was far more fortunate then both Claudio and Bob as far as lapped traffic was concerned being able to back off to time my pass into a corner so giving me a bit of breathing space each time but out of the top 3 I was definitely the slowest and it was only consistancy which kept me ahead. Lapped traffic was great, I didn't expect Niky to let me through were he did on 1 lap so almost made a complete cockup but otherwise I Think I clipped the curbs onto the Hangar and Farm straights once each but was fortunately off throttle both times as I could see it coming.

Great result for Don, Highest climber, very well deserved.

I Crossed the line with 0.4g left and I was beginning to sweat a little with about 6 to go doing mental calculations in my head while going down the straights, so adjusted my shifts to try to save a little fuel where I could.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

Mostly everything went to plan. I had a good Qualifying time, a PB, to put me in 3rd. I hoped that I could make up a place at the start, but it wasn’t possible. On lap 2, I had a chance to pass Navonne after he made a mistake exiting Abbey. I actually got my nose ahead, but the run down to Woodcote on the extreme right isn’t a good position, so I backed off. That would have ended in tears otherwise.

The rest of the race was just following the front two as best I could.  Without a bobble from Navonne, I didn’t have enough extra to get a pass in, so I just waited.

A little spin left me a bit further back and I simply settled in for a 3rd place finish.  Navonne had an error, 5 laps from the end. If I hadn’t spun myself earlier, I might have been close enough to take advantage of it.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

So yeah.. here's the Youtube video of my race... only after posting the video i found out that there was a mic open.. causing the sound to be lowered on the video..
https://www.youtube....h?v=0u7DW-SG4iY

#14 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

Hi Kayo,
Watching the video I think your problem is the downshifts rather than your change point going up the box. There were a lot of times when it looked like the needle hit the stop when you were going down the box. I can't preach because I do it as well but It certainly looked the most likely cause to me.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#15 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

View PostGabriele Maruca, on 26 May 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

So, here's my tale . . . https://youtu.be/ohBQ59OXnYM?t=1m31s

I don't often ask my wife to look at oAo/GPL stuff, but I showed her your link. We're both still laughing. :)

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:08 AM

View Postsnafu, on 26 May 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

Hi Kayo,
Watching the video I think your problem is the downshifts rather than your change point going up the box. There were a lot of times when it looked like the needle hit the stop when you were going down the box. I can't preach because I do it as well but It certainly looked the most likely cause to me.

TTFN
John.

I probably should better start downshifting later than i would normally would... because it is a 6 speed... i sometimes almost have no time downshifting into a corner before i have to turn in.

#17 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:04 AM

Tomy, my apologies.

#18 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

No problem Ronnie ;  i think I was slow in the last turn before the pits so I suspected you attempt an attack on the pit straight .  I was not in a kamikaze braking for T1 but I checked my right mirror and I didn't see you so I took my usual line and "bang" . What a pity cause I could use an external line in this turn .
It's racing , it was fun to battle and ... it's just a game ;
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#19 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

Here is my Repco random failure summary:

-  water temperature: 87° C
-  max engine rotational speed: approximately never exceeded 8900 rpm

ciao
rob

#20 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

Second at Silverstone (my second second in a row), behind John, who did an extraordinary performance without making a mistake even once, and in front of Mr Simpson (a legend in GPL) I was very, very satisfied. With the bonus of the lap record. I could have won? very difficult, I could have lost everything ... almost.
I felt very comfortable there from the first day of training, looking for the way in the two curves that lead to the two longest lines.
In classification John won the pole and I was able to accommodate 2nd. At the start try to start as good as possible, not to pass it to John, but keeping in mind that if Bob started faster it would be very difficult to pass him.
I caught John in the start, but forcing the pass in Copse would have been very dangerous. I stayed behind John then and started driving as fast as possible. I made two mistakes in Abbey, that's why Bob almost happened to me, but Woodcote is not a place indicated for that.
Together with John we went away from Mr Simpson, the distance between us was shortened or lengthened as we could pass to the lapped drivers. When there were 5 laps left I started to drive as fast as I could, my intention was to see if John made a mistake. But I almost lost everything, at the exit of Maggots I went too wide, the rightt rear wheel touched the grass, the Ferrari was catapulted towards the slope, flew and fell on the four wheels skidding, when it stopped, I hooked 1st and went back to the race. Quite scared I checked that the car behaved well and I went as fast as possible, but John was unattainable and luckily Bob was a few seconds behind.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

Sim Racing Links