Watkins Glen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

I qualified 7th with a PB of 1:06.50 - leading the "second flight".  The man in 6th was a full second ahead.  The most shocking thing for me was to see my fierce rival Pepe in a Lotus!

So, amazingly, we all got through the esses in one piece, and I was chugging along in 7th, when sure enough, Pepe starts looming large in my mirrors.  After just a few laps, my front left was getting uncomfortably hot, and at The 90, I slid out wide.  Pepe scuttled through like a roach, much to my horror and surprise.  We touched wheels, which allowed another car through.  A few laps later, Bo easily passed me, so I plodded on in 9th, unable to make any inroads to those ahead. I finally crossed the line in 8th.

Edited by Ronnie Nilsson, 14 October 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

due to (-) coins our team was limited to 1 out, and 1 hot lap. i must have done 200 practice laps in an attempt to find an ideal Q setup for my 1 hot lap. best i could do was an 1.06.5 in practice. come official Q time i go out and do a 1.07+... ?? what ??  then i look and see i loaded the wrong setup :P   not that it would have made much difference, even my PB of 105+ would have only gained me a couple spots. wow.. some fast shoes out there today!

after the drop of green it was mostly just 'finish' ... we need coins and after chasing Niky (his crash at top of esses was scary close) and then got around a spinning Nilsson... it was watching the mirrors to stay clear of lead cars, and try to catch TIm... each time i'd gain a second, it seemed i had to back off a fraction for a lapping car :P  so i gained nothing ~  it was pretty boring for a short circuit as the Glen.

congrats to teammate Don for gaining much needed coins!!
hats off to Ed for another win... tho, had Roberto not had a problem i think this was his race.. wow...

so D2 is now off til 11 Nov... see you then/there~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Unlucky day for me, flashing cars. During lapping suddenly appeared George.  Upside-down

Congratulation who won, the podium and who finished

ciao
Roberto

Edited by Baldassarri, 14 October 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#4 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,694 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

This little slider of a track is fun.  I couldn't qualify, because of our coin situation, but no change as I always qualify in back, anyway.  Had fun, chasing Gabriele, sad that he had trouble behind me.  After that, Andrew and I had a fun race for first Honda.  We were really close on times, so your race strategy pretty much was figuring how you could lose the least time while being lapped.  Had to use my free Shift-R early on, trying to get out of the way, but soldiered on from that point to 9th.  Thanks to all the polite lappers.
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#5 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi guys,

I was shocked and amazed that I didn't have to redo Windows and reload everything for this race so everything after that point on Thursday night was just icing. After checking out every car in my tax bracket I decided to stick with the Honda as this may have been my last race of the season and whatever else I might do with it the car still finishes the races.

My goal in qualifying was 1:06.75 but I couldn't drive the car on low fuel and only when I added fuel did I get with in a second of my target. That seems to be a consistent gap. On my second run I was in front of Pepe and I still don't know what happened. I was slow and had two wheels on the outside grass and we must have warped. It didn't affect me in any way - I hope it didn't do too much to his session.

On the first lap all of the cars disappeared on the straight and when they reappeared I lost track of where the car was on my inside and decided to stay wide and from there I put a wheel on the grass and dropped to last. Coming back up I followed Richard for a bit and when he was to the inside of the big turn between the straights I got a run and got ahead of him by taking the outside.  At track out we warped and that was that. I had no problem with what I did  - I thought it was fair and I was ahead at point of contact - but I'm also well aware of the risk. I guess I could have gone on the grass. I was straight enough I wouldn't hit the armco but at the time I didn't think I would need to. Later on I narrowly missed his car in the esses so at least I got that right. Next up I came upon Gabriele and he wanted to race more than I did. Whatever he was fighting made me have to checkup hard three times on the straights. On the last attempt I ran into him as he moved over to the right. With brakes locked up I managed to spin right in the middle of the S/F straight. Not my greatest moment in GPL, nor his. After that I had three moments in the 90, once following George's spin and another as Roberto was coming up to lap me again and another when I went straight on. I had a little bit of damage but nothing like at Monza. There, stuff was falling off my desk while at Watkins Glen I never really got any FFB.

Congratulations to Ed on the win and Roberto for dominating the event.

If I can't make either of the next two races thanks to all of the participants - I've enjoyed the challenge that is OAO.

Cheers,

Andrew Hutchinson

#6 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

That was fun Don, I lost contact when George spun. You were faster at that point. I could get away for a lap but mostly through using up my LF and then you were right back behind me when I nursed the tire the following lap.

Andrew

#7 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:36 PM

I qualified 8th, just behind Ronnie, a happy occurrence for me since I'd much rather be pressuring him than having him do the same to me. Ahead of us were a wall of six G3/G4 cars and behind us, in addition to the remainder of our G1 brothers, were Tim and Bo. Rarely does anything good ever come from having faster guys behind me at the start. I reeled in Ronnie on the last turn before the S/F on L4. This was not a truly well-considered pass on my part. We touched. The bump knocked him off into the grass, allowing Tim to come through. And that set the stage for the next 15 laps, where Tim stalked me with a gap of 1-2 seconds in his BT24 while I outpowered him on the straights in the Lotus. It seemed like a replay of the last race at Monza where I'd had Claudio breathing down my neck for what seemed like two hours.

Coming out of the esses on L20, running a steady seventh between George and Tim, the clamps holding my wheel to the desk slipped. The car instantly slid off into the grass on the right side of the track, hit an embankment, and sailed over the fence in a spectacular loop, sticking the gymnastic landing with an Olympic score of 9.7. I knew from watching Mike Lowery's race last week that I was, as the Italians say, una pera cotta (a cooked pear). I ran along the inner-side of the fence back to the pit area, but trust me here: once you're on the wrong side of the fence at the Glen, you don't have enough money to buy your way back in. It was the first race this year I failed to finish because of my own ineptitude. Rats!

Niky and I needed a total of two points here to maintain our lead over the Honey Badgers. We got zero (0). I don't know what more our team leader, the Flying Dutchman, can do to keep us afloat, but I'm hoping for better luck in Mexico. ¡Vámanos, equipo!  :)

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 14 October 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#8 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hi everyone, well in qualifying I only did one flying lap, because as I have said in the past I really like starting from near the back, and trying to work my way through, reading what Pepe has to say in his report explains a lot, I did wonder what had happened, but I really enjoyed chasing the Lotus, when that came to an end there was nothing else to do, I was never going to be able to catch George, I think that's the first time I've seen him race, he is rather good isn't he, pity he's not been around more often, oh well next year maybe, and Bruce must have been having an off day, or at least a careful one.

Well done to the podium, good result for John yet again.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 14 October 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#9 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Well... this time I was feeling it boys, really feeling it. Too bad I'v fucked up my setup by shortening too much the top gear, giving me 10K RPM in both the straights before and after the loop. Only thing is, I did that modification just before race, pretty dumb of me, I must say.

So, the start wasn't actually so bad, flashed from 13th to 9th after the first part of the esses thanks also to a Honda and a Ferrari (I'm sure about the Ferrari, not that much about the Honda) flying off the track, always checking at both my sides to not clip someone over or, worse, squash him on the armco. At the straight I saw the engine revving top scale and then the temps started to take a hike: at the loop I was at 53°C. Not a pretty sight and I thought it was best to brake early, not stress the engine too much unless it was necessary and at least try to take it home.

Then Andrew and Dodge -came. And I was scared shitless. I don't know how I did it, but I saw the replay and the only explanation possible might be that Nuvolari possessed me for a while: occupying the centre, getting in big risks to not let people pass unless they were lapping me... I don't know how the hell I managed to pull that off.

View PostDDodge, on 14 October 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

This little slider of a track is fun.  I couldn't qualify, because of our coin situation, but no change as I always qualify in back, anyway.  Had fun, chasing Gabriele, sad that he had trouble behind me.

Yeah, what Don said ^^;

View PostAndrew Hutchinson, on 14 October 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

On the first lap all of the cars disappeared on the straight and when they reappeared I lost track of where the car was on my inside and decided to stay wide and from there I put a wheel on the grass and dropped to last. Coming back up I followed Richard for a bit and when he was to the inside of the big turn between the straights I got a run and got ahead of him by taking the outside.  At track out we warped and that was that. I had no problem with what I did  - I thought it was fair and I was ahead at point of contact - but I'm also well aware of the risk. I guess I could have gone on the grass. I was straight enough I wouldn't hit the armco but at the time I didn't think I would need to. Later on I narrowly missed his car in the esses so at least I got that right. Next up I came upon Gabriele and he wanted to race more than I did. Whatever he was fighting made me have to checkup hard three times on the straights. On the last attempt I ran into him as he moved over to the right. With brakes locked up I managed to spin right in the middle of the S/F straight. Not my greatest moment in GPL, nor his.

Well mate, I had really a blast battling with you: we had a really fair fight. Although I felt bad for your spin, at first I thought I had bumped you or something, since I was getting back on the line. Too bad that the battles took a big toll on my engine and it poofed at lap 24: managed to limp back in the pits and used my Shift-R, but only lasted 5 more laps until the gearbox decided to put an end to it and handed to me an uncontrollable car, forcing me into a spin at the Loop that has costed me the finish (again).

You know... I'm not even mad at the -100-something coins I have in my check. I really am not. I had too much fun today to even be mad at all :D
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#10 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Always felt I was playing catchup today. Definitely best of the rest was all I could hope for, The front 3 on the grid were a class above today. I think I have seen 1 lap in the 1:04's so as soon as they started appearing on the practice screen I knew it was going to be a long afternoon.

Got the jump on Alex at the start but he was making his intentions to take the place back almost immediately and he was filling my mirrors for the 1st 4 or 5 laps having a look up the inside into T1 a few times. Eventually he got me on the run down to the loop. I did consider toughing it out and wondering about 2 abreast but sanity prevailed and I let him through. From then onward I had George for company until he made a mistake and dropped back into the clutches of Tames.I was able to manage the gap back to the pair of them and as lapping of cars came into play was able to extend the gap while also losing ground on the front 3. Inevitably it became a lonely race with only cars to be lapped reminding me I wasn't doing a hot lapping session. With around 15 to go I was promoted to 3rd due to Roberto's unfortunate incident. Completely lost concentration into the final turn late in the race and was lucky that (I think) Don and Bo saw me stranded in the middle of the track facing the wrong way and avoided a possible race ending catastrophe. This did have the consequence that it put Tames back in touching distance having only a 300yd lead but managed to keep it all together for the remainder of the race to bring it home a very distant 3rd.

So pleased with the result but less so with my driving, Not a track I particularly like and the final turn will always be something I approach with a great deal of trepidation.

Thanks to all who were lapped who made it very easy despite my best attempts a few times to completely cock up the manoeuvre.

It's looking very unlikely I'll make the next round unfortunately as I'm up in Scotland the week leading up to it and I'll probably be doing battle with cars on the M6 motorway instead of  Snetterton.

Have fun guys and see you for the final round in Mexico all being well.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#11 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:01 PM

"by shortening too much the top gear, giving me 10K RPM in both the straights before and after the loop." -GM

Well that explains that  mystery. I had the wrong gearing in Rouen (frozen menu) so I have an idea what that is like.  I'm glad you had fun for a change. After an off and a collision I wasn't really in the mood and was just trying to get the thing home.

Andrew

Sim Racing Links