• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

ESPN F1 confirms partnership w/ Sky Sports F1 for USA TV coverage

we did have Hobbs/Matchett and Dieffy... and i thought they were better than anything i've heard before. knowledgeable - and experienced. i learned a lot and not a lot of hype (aka eddie Cheever 'ohhh this is dangerous'...  oh they're going to crash (didn't)  etc... very little insight from ABC announce teams (Indycar)  tried to sound like horse race announcers to people that have never watched F1 :(

please tell me the Sky F1 team will be good -
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

I could do without Diffey. But I like Hobbs and Matchet.
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#3 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

As for race commentary, I should think that you'd have to go a long way to beat Peter Whatshisname who broadcast from the hairpin at Mosport for major races back in the 1970's.  He'd do his best to wind up the crowd into a fever pitch like extolling the virtues of the little Costello-Olds which had not a ghost of chance against the big-bore stuff in the CanAms.  Word was that he'd start the day with a bottle of scotch to loosen up his vocal chords.  Ahem, ahem...  ;)

#4 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

I've watched Sky and the other British channels F1 coverage, and rate them miles above NBCSN and any other American coverage. Hobbs is to old, Matchett out of touch, Diffey is a corporate shill. It can't be any worse then it's been.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:12 AM

If you look around the web you can find F1 Sky coms. Personally I find the main commentator too hyperactive and obsessed with Hamilton. He doesn't really stand out compared to others. Martin Brundle does a good job as ex driver if he gets in more than a sentence at a time and Ted in the pits is decent too. Can recommend his aftershow if its available.
I just wanna race

#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

View Postzzbusch1, on 13 February 2018 - 09:54 PM, said:

I've watched Sky and the other British channels F1 coverage, and rate them miles above NBCSN and any other American coverage. Hobbs is to old, Matchett out of touch, Diffey is a corporate shill. It can't be any worse then it's been.

+++++:thumbs up:

We get Sky here in Canada and while the US coverage has improved, Brundell and the Sky team is much better.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

I completely agree with Michi. But for me the best commentary is by Channel 4's Ben Edwards and David Coulthard, I'm stuck with dutch broadcaster Ziggo. That sucks, since the commentator (Olav Mol) misses many stuff that happens on the track (he refuses to have a sidekick (ego)) and thinks Max Verstappen can't do anything wrong (compare David Croft/Lewis Hamilton).

Still Skysports isn't too bad and has extensive coverage, wished they would replace Crofty tho. I think the biggest problem for US viewers would be the ridiculous amount of commercials they will put in (when in Europe there won't be any commercials during the race)...

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

coverage here was about (Depending on length of circuit) about 5 laps then 3 or 4 minutes of commercials.... picking up where the race 'is'... unless there was a crash  or an overtake for the lead.
usually the last 10 laps were commercial free.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#9 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

TV only exists for the commercials. Everything in between is merely filler.

#10 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostEFulghum, on 17 February 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

TV only exists for the commercials. Everything in between is merely filler.

Where is that from, the 2017 remake of Grand Prix?
I just wanna race

#11 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

no, it's mine :)

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:22 AM

Yesterday I did watch the CRASHCAR Commercial 500 :P

"Thank the Lord", said the euforious winner after blatantly wrecking the leader. "It was all Him!" :biggrinangelA:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 February 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#13 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

I did like how the cars raced, seemed a lot squirrelly than the previous years. The heat racing and over aggressiveness resulting from it not so much.

Edited by Michkov, 19 February 2018 - 05:02 PM.

I just wanna race

#14 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 19 February 2018 - 08:22 AM, said:

Yesterday I did watch the CRASHCAR Commercial 500 :P

"Thank the Lord", said the euforious winner after blatantly wrecking the leader. "It was all Him!" :biggrinangelA:

LOL

This is the way Crashcar has been for 30 years.  A real race would have penalized him at least a drive through or time it takes to stop and go.  He was real happy about pushing that guy out of the way.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#15 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Every year I seem to watch less and less Nascar. Sundays race maybe the last one I watch this season, unless I see that they're at a road course.
It Doesn’t Matter How Slow You Go, As Long As You Don’t Stop - Confucius

#16 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

View Postbobho-in, on 20 February 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Every year I seem to watch less and less Nascar. Sundays race maybe the last one I watch this season, unless I see that they're at a road course.

They run at Sears Point, Watkins Glen and an abomination of a roval at Charlotte. Sears and Glen are must watches for me as the cars are so far out of their environment. Cant say anything about Charlotte as they'll run it the first time this year.
I just wanna race

#17 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

I followed NASCAR in the 90s on Eurosport. Rooted for Mark Martin back then. Then in 2000 Matt Kenseth won the World 600 as a rookie and from that day I was a fan of him. He drove a bit like Mark Martin even when he wasn't a specific bottomfeeder. A bit of a quiet modest guy with dry humour. The way he dominated the 2003 season gave birth to the play-offs. Matt had his way of racing, being patient, being smart and biding his time. And racing hard as fuck when he needed to, late race. Great guy to root for. It's a joke no big team offered him a contract...underrated driver, he was one of the very best and one of the most intelligent drivers!

Might watch a stream now and then. Plate races have never been my favorite. Darlington used to be my favorite and the 2003 finish was the best.

I won't bore you with my online IndyCar/NASCAR career over the years (1999-2007), but I tried to mimick the Martin/Kenseth style :yawn:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 20 February 2018 - 05:39 PM.

Sim Racing Links