Sachenring - S22

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

I really like this type of  track. The accident we had at the back happened on an admittedly terrifying stretch with a blind brow but it was also a perfect storm of car spacing and bad luck. That bit could happen anywhere. Also, there's a reason why I'm not allowed to drive cars in the dolphin class. It has to do with crashing and being on a team. I'm not terribly reliable and my team were good enough to accommodate my request for a cheap, durable vehicle. While it hasn't done them any favours pace-wise it has limited the damage I'm able to inflict week-in, week-out.  It's all part of the strategy. Just my two cents based on the wreck I was involved in.

#22 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:44 PM

The track per say is fun, what I do not like is, not being an Alien like Robert, is the fact that track borders are so muddy and suck the car off at any slight provocation...
this and the fact I mentioned earlier about the strange phenomena of invisible bumps that shake the steering wheel to the point the car changes direction !?

Unless it is my track install that is the problem ? anybody who do not experience this that can email me there track folder ?

Edited by Aljones, 21 April 2019 - 12:45 PM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#23 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:08 PM

I like Sachsenring very much!  I just had bad luck, but I think this track in the middle of a more "friendship" set of tracks would be great.  We had three car-killer tracks in a row (well... with East London in the middle) and the damages we have are in part due to that.

But... in the other hand, this kind of tracks allow some different drivers to have good results. In an extreme case, if we always race Kyalami and Silverstone, the guys in the podium will be always the same ones.

Vulture team (Pepe and Bruce)... I'm sorry for the Ferrari.  I'll be very happy to race with the BRM or Cooper to collect coins.

Marcos.
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 21 April 2019 - 01:36 PM

If you mean for example the bump over the bridge on the run down to the final turn or the way the car is unsettled if you take heiterer blick too tight or the weird camber which means you have to feather the throttle exiting Badberg Kurve. I could go on, No, it's not just you it's the same for everyone. Lot of points where I spent time adjusting gear changes to coincide with various bumps and crests. My PB if around mid 2:36's My race times (For the 3 laps I managed) were all over 2:40. You just have to drive to the track condition and your personal goal (Coins or Points)

It's not one of my favorites but could be so much better (IMO) if it had a surface like Spa for example. (But then presumably it wouldn't be authentic). I think this seasons track selection is tougher than any season since I started oAo, with more tracks than usual where it's possible to make a complete A$$ of myself. As soon as I see a circuit on the calendar which is famous for it's motorcycle races I start to panic. usually narrow, bumpy with dips and crests. Fine for hot lapping but not for racing (JMO).

But all credit to the TSG for constantly coming up with new challenges. I personally prefer "real circuits" no matter how short rather than road circuits or ovals. But it does mean I actually spend some time working on set up's etc at tracks I would otherwise not bother with or at least download only for them to become a "Pit Queen" and never get more than a few laps.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#25 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:37 PM

Maybe an idea for next season to have different tracks for D2 in place of certain difficult tracks. But for D1, the schedule is pretty good and diverse IMO.

Next track ppl will complain about is Nordschleife, and probably even Zandvoort first! :P

#26 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 21 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 21 April 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

+ 6.18 x 1014. Monaco and Sachsenring have destroyed our team's treasury. Three weeks ago we had 63 coins, a Ferrari, and a Brabham. Today, with another round of Sachsenring still to be faced, we have 21 coins, a BRM, and a Cooper.

50 % of that coins loose, was my fault...... :Flush:  so sorry team.....
Posted Image[img

#27 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

ppl in the past HAVE complained about Nurb & Monaco... my reply?  they stay!

as for diff tracks for the Divisions.. i'm 100% against that. 1) because D2s need to learn how to race. 2) running the server is easier, and gives D2s 2 weeks to practice.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#28 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

I wasn't pointing fingers, Enrique. You've had two tough weeks, for sure. And that was what I was trying to note: Here it's easy to go from, in Frank Sinatra's words, flying high in April to shot down in May. Monaco and Sachsenring are daggers pointing at the very heart of the philosophy of this league, that being if you don't take care of your cars, you're finished. Our 63 coins three weeks ago was in the middle of the pack; today only one team has more than that --- Smokey, of course --- but when they finish repairing their Lotus, they'll be down to 69. I repeat: that's the biggest treasury in the league. But that's what Monaco and Sachsenring have done, and the latter isn't through with us yet.

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 21 April 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

Maybe an idea for next season to have different tracks for D2 in place of certain difficult tracks.

Um, might you be inclined to change your mind, Rob, if I were to tell you that so far this year the average D2 driver pays 1.9 coins each race to fix car damage while the median in D1 is 5.8 coins per driver per race?  :)

#29 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:18 AM

Motor racing is dangerous. ;)

#30 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

The obvious answer is to have the cars and tracks all made of pillows and rubber! Voila! No more danger!
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#31 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:34 AM

We decided to mix things up at Honey Badger Racing by having me drive the Honda. This is the first time I've driven the Honda in league competition. I was hoping for a top-half start and a top-half finish. By setting a Honda personal best in qualifying, I achieved the first goal right off the bat. Q7 as a grid position was pretty satisfying.

Off the start, I out-dragged Tristan in the Brabham into Turn 1. We made slight, warp-induced contact which spun him out and sent him to the back of the field, but fortunately did not end his race. I wasn't even sure that contact had happened, so I left room for him through the 2nd turn. Tristan, I'm sorry that happened. My replay shows that there was plenty of space between us and clearly this was connection-related contact.

P6 became P7 when Iestyn passed me, but then it became P6 again when Iestyn made a mistake that cycled him behind me.
(Iestyn, you mention that as you passed me you slid wide into my lane. In anticipation of that same camber change that forced your slide, and doubting that i could stay flat out around the outside of that bend without sliding off track, I lifted off the throttle. That lift provided you with the gap you needed to cut in front of me. You didn't force me to lift, the track did! So it all worked out the way it should have.)

Then Michiel (who was impossibly quick in the slow-as-molasses Cooper) suffered a disconnect -- and I'm up to P5.

Late in the race, Dag made a  terminal mistake while running P3, promoting me to P4.

Frank, who had been chasing in his Lotus from the very beginning of the race, blew his engine on Lap 20 of 22, alleviating all pressure from behind.
Then, later on Lap 20, Yannick fell victim to one of Sachsenring's cartoonishly evil features, smashing his Ferrari to bits ... and that, ladies and gentlemen, put me on the podium.

Over the final 2-3 laps, Iestyn's mystery Ferrari with its Klingon cloaking device appeared (and disappeared) behind me. And, well, you've probably been following the discussion in private e-mails, so there is no point in rehashing it here. Nobody can be blamed for the situation, but it was a very odd and impossible one to deal with and we are both lucky to have not made contact. I am grateful to Bo and the league for accepting a compromise solution.

A 3rd place finish in the Honda was not something that I expected. The fact that I turned only the 9th-fastest lap in the race yet finished 3rd tells you all you need to know. I simply stayed within my comfort zone and made NO mistakes.

And now we turn our attention to a classic: Zandvoort. I love driving there!

Michael

#32 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:21 AM

Well done on the podium result Michael, indeed it is so important to remain in the comfort zone here. I sometime find myself lured out of it if a race win is possible when I push harder, but here that was not yet the case until the freeze happened. I didn't have much left on the cards though anyway :)

Running tracks like this from time to time in oAo is one of the few reasons that keep me challenged and motivated actually, whilst enduring the setbacks. In the old days oAo also had a system which compensated for a slower car entry to try and spice up the field when the team part was not as big as it is now. Now coins partly replaced that, but once you have a healthy buffer of coins you don't really have to worry about losing your fast cars either even if 1 bad mishap happens. So now you begin to see the same teams on top with the quicker cars in the race results. Gaining coins for faster cars yourself becomes tougher as the results you can get don't help as much, unless you run on tracks where the driver makes the most difference, not the car. If we were to lose the challenging tracks it would possibly be a reason for me not to enter anymore, unless the regulations see a compensation for the slower chassis entries in points besides the G level compensation that is already in place. This would reward a good drive better IMHO. However it would help to have a regular 19 car field to implement such a thing, in D1 this seems to vary too much.
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#33 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,354 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:46 PM

Interesting suggestion Michiel.

Indeed giving slower cars also bonuspts might spice things up even more. Also for example I could take a slower car and be more in the mix. Might be something for next season. Also it looks like the damage penalties are too harsh arguably and may need a finetune.

Every year Bruce tries to get the right balance making adjustments. It's not only having clean runs that helps, we started also with a good coins tally. Indeed it's very hard to get out of that spiral. We almost went broke last season before bouncing back last part of the season.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 22 April 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#34 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Honestly, I feel like Bruce and the TSG have got it spot on this year. In the last few years, we have seen more of the better cars and now, with a few more small tweaks, we are seeing more field variation.

The tough tracks are harder when you are in D2, but there is no better way to get us all in a BRM than that stat from Bob and a hard track next to come ;)
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#35 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hi guys! :)

Difficult track but really challenging, to be honest i was exualy not so confident as normal.
I already caused damage at Monacane so i needed to stay safe.
Qualify didn't go as planned, its very difficult to drive sub31 when it really matters.
In Qualify first i try to drive low 31 but i ended up mid 31 and did try another run to drive a high 30.
Unfortunately i blow my engine but was able to go back to the pits but unfortunately there was almost no time anymore.
In my 3rd run i hade exualy a good lap but i did go whide and crashed my car and that was the end of it.
Start was really good and it was not difficult to pass Rob before T1 and i did it very easy the first couple of laps.
Very good drive from Rob who never was more then 2 sec behind me very good racing but very difficult on a track like this where you need to stay focused and concentrated.
There are many places where things can go wrong and mostly the car will not survive.
I did my very best and one mistake at T4 was enough for Rob to pass me, i exualy try to give him some room otherwise we both crash out and end up with nothing.
Couldn't see him for a moment and luckily it was a safe pass, i try to folow him for a lap but it was too risky for me knowing that i hade already some damage.
I choose to slow down and just grap P2 which i will be very happy with it on this track.
I saw Killer and Yannick disconnecting from the server at almost the same time, i thought it was because they hade a freeze or disco.
So i was exualy scared that it would happen to me but luckily nothing happend.
Very happy with my P2 finish and it was a great race!

I am also very happy for Donnie with a well disserved P7 in his Honda!
For Team Lucky not a bad day.. exualy a great day with a P2 and P7 finish, very well done :)

Grats Podium and Rob for a great drive from start to finish, its always a lot of fun racing against u :)

Edited by Roy, 23 April 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#36 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,199 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 21 April 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Um, might you be inclined to change your mind, Rob, if I were to tell you that so far this year the average D2 driver pays 1.9 coins each race to fix car damage while the median in D1 is 5.8 coins per driver per race?  :)

Interesting point Bob, but you might also want to consider D1 drives with realistic damage settings whereas D2 only advanced. I'm sure the coins cost would be a lot different either way if both divisions used the same race parameters.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#37 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:40 PM

Lol , I think that D1 coin average is mostly on me Bob , having totalled a brabham and a ferrari so far this season.. christ it aint even funny.. :uglyhammer:

Edited by D_J, 27 April 2019 - 12:40 PM.

Sim Racing Links