S22 Season Track Suggestions...

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

Ok I know it seems a bit early but the S21 track thread was started in Jan 2017 so I've left it until June before starting this one.. :D

I'm sure Claudio and Co in the TSG can't wait for our suggestions for next season. :spiteful:

I know I said I'd given up and despite it's Luke warm reception at the fun race I'll start with the B'ham Superprix as the street circuit (Again). :whistling:

Also an honorable mention for Bridgehampton, Monza 10k (Without the chicanes) and Oulton Park. The Base Outlon install is horrible but it looks much better after adding the updates. (Also all are easy on older systems - If you remove the people from the pits @ M10K).

I would also like to request no Spa67 next year. Don't get me wrong I love that track but this is the 3rd season in a row I think we have run this one and some can't run it due to older hardware.

That's it for now.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#2 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:07 AM

John, we're always eager for suggestions. Besides, I've already been thinking about next season.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#3 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:34 AM

View Postsnafu, on 05 June 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

... despite it's Luke warm reception at the fun race I'll start with the B'ham Superprix ...
I didn't read any post-race opinion about Birmingham Superprix. What DID people think about it? I've never driven it, but it looks interesting and it's the kind of track I like to see on the schedule.

View Postsnafu, on 05 June 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

I would also like to request no Spa67 next year. Don't get me wrong I love that track but this is the 3rd season in a row I think we have run this one and some can't run it due to older hardware.
I agree with you there, and not only because of my well-documented bias! With hundreds of tracks available, I don't think we should run any track that often. (Although to be fair, I, too, thought we've run it three years in a row but we haven't. We ran it in seasons 18, 20, and 21.)

Michael

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,061 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:17 PM

Sorry guys, but I'm no fan of Birmingham, Bridgehampton nor Monza10K. Not really interesting/challenging tracks from my POV, but from Bridgehampton arguably. It's just I never yelled with that track in any mod, with odd bumps/banking and grip levels. Monza10K is plain boring to me, I prefer original Monza 1967. Oulton Park is awesome though. I love these old British club circuits.

I'd rather have Monaco/Monacane as the street circuit, or Pau. Leipzig might be an option. Birmingham looks kind of mediocre to say the least, and I don't like it. I think we did a F2 race or so, I have some vague memories from it!? Like a sub-par Norisring.

Can we have spa67 AGAIN on the schedule! j/k :D

Couple of old school suggestions like Solitude, Sachsenring and Bremgarten. All very challenging tracks.

#5 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:17 PM

Hi guys .

i like Jarama , Snetterton , Brands Hatch , Oulton park , Riverside , Sears point , St Jovite ,Sebring .

I don't know if Long beach and Villa real exist on the track list ?

I love Blue Mountain but it's too challenging and too short ...
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#6 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:35 PM

City tracks give me nightmares, but I liked Birmingham a lot when we did a test run on it last year. It's a car breaker, for sure. I think only a few of us finished. In my three years of oAo it has been my only podium finish.  :)

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

Just to reply to Rob.
I agree those are all great tracks and I quite enjoy the odd hot lapping session but I'm not a fan of trips through the countryside (However scenic it might be) in an F1 car. I don't think they promote great racing and usually end up with most not seeing another car after the 2nd lap. (The same can be said to be true of the ring and to a lesser extent Spa). I'm more a fan of purpose built circuits with a lap time of  a maximum of around 3 minutes or less, almost always another car in sight even if only lapping or being lapped.

I find many of the road circuits a bit tedious and don't really promote good racing as technical and pretty they might be. A bit like ovals and street circuits... I think we should have one long track on the schedule each season but no more.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:15 PM

Autódromo Oscar Cabalén
Surfers Paradise
Roy Hesketh Circuit
Sandown International Raceway
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#9 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:23 AM

Interesting and juicy discussion. I'm taking note, and knowing what your nightmares are, I'll make them come true... :ghostface:
I really appreciate the comments, we will take them into account in the TSG.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#10 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:39 AM

For the most part I agree with John.  Don't care for long tracks through the country side.  I'm fine with all the rest.  Maybe a season dedicated to the Tasman series with the usual GPL Classic tracks of course.

Bob H.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#11 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:15 AM

Mmmm, countryside runs don’t have to be too long though. Tracks like Mount Panorama and Sachsenring are perfect for this, mount Panorama highly raceable as well with the straights and 90 degree bends at the end of them :)

Besides those a Goodwood with fix seems fun to try in the Revival weekend on the schedule, or alternatively if not this club track, maybe Croft or Snetterton.

For challenges I also don’t mind a run at Clermont Ferrand, or any other tracks of the kind that Rob mentioned :)

In terms of other legacy tracks, Road America or Le Mans Sarthe could do nicely too :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#12 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

I like Bathurst , its a great track to drive.

Sachsenring is also good but Dundrod is my favourite and by far the craziest track Ive ever driven in gpl and one that I always recommend before a new season. And its one that usually never makes the calendar but hey , gotta stick with it.

#13 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

Birmingham is a colossal no for me. Terribly bumpy. Did not enjoy it during the F2 race.

I'm actually not that into street circuit that much so I rather have these avoided.

I'm actually more a fan of those long road circuits. I do like being challenged.
So Dundrod sounds like fun, Clermont-Ferrand, Solitude, Sachsenring, Bremgarten, Brno, Tronaasen... maybe the Isle of Man track if it makes a release this year? :)
Or... Targa Florio?!

I'm also a fan of having one oval, preferably a longer oval. One I don't need to decrease my speed by lifting the throttle.
Daytona or Tallageda. Maybe Milano? ...Bloodbath? :D (jk)

I don't mind having one fantasy track in the mix as well. Urbanya, Jops Siffert, Belle-Isle and Blue Mountain are great tracks to drive.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#14 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

I second the motion for sensible fantasy tracks to be allowed on the schedule.
I just wanna race

#15 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

View PostMichkov, on 09 June 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

I second the motion for sensible fantasy tracks to be allowed on the schedule.
I don't. I don't want any part of fantasy tracks.

Michael

#16 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostMGL66, on 09 June 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

I don't. I don't want any part of fantasy tracks.

Agreed. Truth is always more difficult and unbelievable than fiction.

#17 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,594 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:11 PM

I'm a long-time fan of Brands Hatch.  I don't remember how long it has been.
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,061 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

Used to be against fantasy tracks, but I've driven some good ones at F1Legends. Let's put it this way, I'd rather have a good looking and driving fantasy track (like Urbanya or Road Ontario for example) than a mediocre execution of a real existing track (like arguably Bridgehampton).

Bathurst is a great track as well. As Michiel said it's got it all for a proper race.

#19 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

Ive been plowing through a bunch of tracks to set up a season next year and Ive come across some gems I really liked. The two soviet tracks Bikernieki and Borovaya are  real cool to drive and has a real nice retro "behind the iron curtain" kind of feel to them. Worth checking out.

I must admit I took Road Ontario for a real track. I liked it a lot, nice flow and well suited for 67 mod.

#20 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:51 AM

I like grand prix circuits - give these a try if you don't know any of them:
Dijon-Prenois81
Anderstorp
Imola
East London
Hockenheim 67
Buenos Aires 15 (i.e. the long one)
Leipzig
Long Beach 76
Nurburgring
Bathurst