Schottenring

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:49 AM

take it easy i told myself... no point in getting racy, the limited practice was staring me in the windscreen.
qualified p10... of 16 (?)
good start and followed teammate Pepe (as was my plan) for 2 or 3 laps, then 1st brain fade..and i was behind the haybales... fearing a DQ, not seeing oncoming traffic well, but it was quiet except for Michaels Honda going by.... so much for plan A.

but i was still in p10, so someone else beat me to the exit gate... and i thought, maybe i could catch that honda and again take up Pepe's six... i was only 12s back.. and feeling RACY <<< note, plan A said to avoid that....

now i was in p7 (or 8) obviously more retirements.. as i'm not seeing any traffic ... and going thru the wide sweeping lefthand, lined with haybales, that i ALWAYS had slowed more than enough (too much actually) i THOUGHT i could take it a little quicker than i had been (why?)  and of course the back end came around and i stuffed it in the hay...
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Well, ask me this morning and I would have said I love this track. By the end of Q having had a screen freeze it had gone down in my estimation a few notches. But Time was good enough for Pole and a great start and steadily building a lead until I was about a mile ahead of Mick and I got a gear wrong, spun and hit a tree wiping off the Left Rear. It was all fine while I was pushing but I backed off and lost my rhythm. Rookie mistake and so annoyed with myself. Bring it home Mick, I'm not going to return your favors every race. :D

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#3 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

I don't think that there is even something to say here: everyone struggling during qualifying, T1 everyone started cleanly (Was I allucinating?) but then a Brabham spun and I got caught between a rock and a hard place: since it stopped in the wrong sense and on the inside of the first hairpin (which all of you know, it's deadly for its brick walls) it was either crash into him, fuck the car up and end the race or veer to the left and pray for the best. Looks like my prayer didn't get through because I got rammed by two Hondas and spun too. I'm not faulting them for that, I'm sure they've been taken aback by what happened too.
After that, the car felt too loose, I wasn't able to put it where I wanted it to be: not a good sign on a track that I don't really like to start with. After three bumps, two spuns and a flight into a ditch (miraculously the car was untouched), I decided that it wasn't worth it and retired the car.

Seriously, who thought Schottenring was a good idea? Weren't there some other tracks to choose from? Not being judgemental, just honestly asking.

Posted Image

Edited by Gabriele Maruca, 14 April 2018 - 10:15 AM.

"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#4 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Qualified 7th with a PB.  Actually had a very lonely race.  I literally didn't see another car ahead or behind after Schotten village lap 1!  Brought it home 2nd behind my teamie Mick!  Well done indeed, Mick. :)   This is only my second ever 2nd place - I have never won... not yet, anyway! :P

#5 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostGabriele Maruca, on 14 April 2018 - 10:03 AM, said:

but then a Brabham spun and I got caught between a rock and a hard place: since it stopped in the wrong sense and on the inside of the first hairpin (which all of you know, it's deadly for its brick walls) it was either crash into him, fuck the car up and end the race or veer to the left and pray for the best. Looks like my prayer didn't get through because I got rammed by two Hondas and spun too. I'm not faulting them for that, I'm sure they've been taken aback by what happened too.

I might be the one that punted you sorry for that but i tried to slow down... locked up the tyres and slid into you... sorry... but i could not turn to the the right because... there was a Honda there...

I did not finish the race...in the 2nd to last lap i was burned out and made a mistake.. i was running P4 at that time... i dunno where i will end up... we'll see....

#6 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:21 AM

View PostMK3424, on 14 April 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

I might be the one that punted you sorry for that but i tried to slow down... locked up the tyres and slid into you... sorry... but i could not turn to the the right because... there was a Honda there...

I did not finish the race...in the 2nd to last lap i was burned out and made a mistake.. i was running P4 at that time... i dunno where i will end up... we'll see....

No worries, mate: these things happen. Just ask Ricciardo and Verstappen ^^;
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#7 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,573 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

My apologies for losing control going into the first tight corner of the race.  Glad it looked like everyone got going again.  I was then in a well-earned last place.  This place, however, is attrition city!  A tiny lapse in concentration and you are going around, hopefully not into something solid.  My spins turned out to be lucky and finished 4th.  WHAT?

Don

I was that Brabham, Gabrielle.  Thanks for not putting me out of the race.  :(

Edited by DDodge, 14 April 2018 - 10:33 AM.

Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#8 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:55 AM

What can I say, when I crashed I had 2nd up for grabs. Now I read I could have won. But to win you have to finish...

T

#9 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Why did I even try to complete 11 laps.  Should have parked it after the 1st turn.  Congrats to all the finishers
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#10 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:06 AM

This is my third year in oAo. I have never before at any track failed to put in at least one complete practice race with either AI cars, online, or in training, but Schottenring laughed at that little streak. I could do six laps quickly, then try to do the 7th with two wheels. It was no secret that Schotten was going to reward not speed but attention, the kind of focus that a cat gives to a cornered mouse. I've never really seen a track where it was so clear that if you could just stay alive long enough, the mountain surely would come to Mohammed. And it did.

I had an ugly qualifying, nine seconds off my PB, but it turned out to be exactly what I needed: The guys who were clearly faster were in front --- Ronnie by two seconds --- and the slower ones spaced out behind. I wasn't going to fight anyone for a position, so if Ronnie ran away or crashed out, I'd have a buffer ahead. Bo, my team leader, was behind me, so I trusted him to keep the rest of the ducks from nibbling me to death. For once the plan worked to perfection. By the time Bo disappeared, I had a comfortable cushion fore and aft. All I needed to do at that point was to keep staring at the mouse in the corner and let Schotten do what Schotten does best: kill cars. And that, my friends, is how an average driver in a league where nearly everyone is way, way above average manages to attain his first podium finish.

I would like to thank the people and things who made this result possible: 1) Robert Fleurke, who provided his BT24 gear ratios upon my assurance that his teammate Ronnie would leave me in the dust anyway (as he did); 2) Andrew Hutchinson, who kept our team of vultures alive when Bo and I were unable to race; and 3) this beautiful, unforgiving track. If you can finish a race here, I think anything may actually be possible.

#11 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:18 PM

Congrats to Mick and Ronnie, what a superb teamresult! Especially very happy for Ronnie, he deserved a clean run. Also great job Pepe for a podium, and Don for a splendid P4 in a race of attrition! ;)

Commiserations to the DNFs!

#12 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Welcome to the giddy heights of the podium, my friend. :)  I think I need a sit down, too. :D

#13 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

A stupidity of mine, came too calm and distracted me in a very easy place of the circuit, broken suspension, one wheel less and far to try to reach the pits in that way, very dangerous for the rest of the drivers.
Congrats all the finishers.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#14 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:25 AM

Pepe, you're right - concentration was the key. I lost it once and hit a barrier, fortunately side-on, but sustained a bit of damage.  After that, I was literally telling myself as I approached every corner, what gear to select.  I don't think I have ever had to concentrate so hard, but if I hadn't, I would have crashed out.

#15 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

First off, Get well soon Dan.

Congrats to the finishers - and Kayo - the almost finisher. I feel a bit embarrassed not to have done so  myself but oh well. Pepe was right about the percentage, wrong that he wouldn't be on the podium.Glad Ronnies' luck changed. Hopefully for Mick  this makes up for Inter and Tandil. Must be special in the Cooper.

For me this event was always going to be more about the lead up than the race itself. Like Tandil , I didn't know if I was going to be in the show until late in the week. With that in mind I worked on trying to get under 10 secs. Never did.  I was quite close in the Coop and a bit more off in the Honda and more still in the brmbrm. Never the less, when I got the call that George couldn't race I figured I might be on for a good qualifying and as for the race, well, who knows. Q turned out to be a pretty terrible session even by my own standards but somehow I got on the front row. My fast lap was 18.96 in the first sector and I almost decided to stop but it turned out I was steady enough to end the lap and lined up P2. I still had no thoughts about the race since I knew I wouldn't be able to catch the car if it got away but when Q was well and truly  over I started to wonder if John had been on full fuel or half tanks Had he been on half tanks I reckoned he might not drive away, provided I was sensible of course.

Of course, that didn't happen, and sorry to the half of the grid that I slowed down when I pooched the start. Luckily there wasn't a pile up. Anyways, I slotted in behind Mick, and while my race was short,  trying to get by him made my day. I had a run going out of Schotten but backed out of it. There is a move there but I wasn't going for it on lap 1. We lost 10 secs to John during that first lap and while it was super fun a smarter me would have backed off sooner and let Mick get going instead of having him defend me where I could have made/ maintained  time on John and Tames. I started to set up a move on the second lap but lost time out of Schotten along the guardrail and then on the third lap backed off a bit at which point Mick was going well and I thought a pause might do me good.   Towards the end of that lap I got a little push and couldn't catch it and going through the trees before the village I lost the RF. Race over...

Lots to like about this place/ race. John had everyone's number today and had I kept going I likely would have stayed where I was - Mick never really flinched.

My two cents on the schedule- Its been super. Very technical tracks are very interesting and while I don't think this place was as demanding as Tandil I fell in love with it right away. I'm a heretic in that I like new Spa better than old Spa and the end of the lap (once I had discovered sector four) has a very Fagnes feel to it that was so completely rewarding. I was pretty bitter that Nurburgring didn't make it but this place might be even better. The blind corners aren't blind once you know what is behind them and that tight LH towards the end of the lap ( the one with the tree at the apex) is one of my favourite sequences.

See you all  where ever I race next, driver for hire, likes heavy cars, etc.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 15 April 2018 - 03:22 PM.

Sim Racing Links