Ain Diab

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:12 PM

I've apparently been using the wrong track file. Could someone provide the link to the track that has some places where you might actually be able to overtake a slower car?  :)

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,987 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:20 PM

Good point ;)
Posted Image

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:36 PM

RULE CHANGE for THIS RACE. the thing is that the pitlane is unpaved dirt and the track is narrow so that there are only two lanes round the whole place.
we will not require the needs to return to the pits rule for this race and drivers may just pull up to the right after T1 at an end to qual lap(s)

because you have people slowing down on the racing line while drivers on a hot lap are passing by at 250+
over a compression and crest that unsettles the car.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#4 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:44 AM

So much for a happy end to the season :(

Tricky but I like those, so I fancied a good result. After qualy I was surprised to find myself in P4 on the grid, having not been able to complete a lap without some mistake. Sector 1 wasn't my friend today.

Anyhow I line up behind Rob, Dag and one of the Ouds. Rob had a horrible getaway so Dag gets by him into T1 as does Oud, but he loops it out of T1 and Rob is 2nd again me hot on his heels. Through T3 Rob gets a bit squirrelly and I have to check up. Which results in me being hit up the rear and the rest of the field scattering in all direction. I gather the car back up somewhere in the middle of the pack, which is more familiar territory for me anyway. Along the top of the hill all is fine into the right hander at the end of the backstretch Frank (blue Cooper) runs a bit wide allowing me to close the gap and I chase him down the hill. He than manages to get a slide on into the long right towards the end of the lap, easy enough to do and usually the car goes off into the Sahara at that point. Frank(?) manages to park the car at right angle to the traffic in the road. I barely manage to slow down before our wheels touch and the impact takes us off the road. Again scattering the remaining pack behind us. I regain the road after a lazy spin, check the car and finish the first lap. Only 27 of them to go. Lot's of people to pass and the car is find, Dag is first, everything is good.

Lap 2 grab a position from a BRM into T5 nothing of consequence happens during the rest of the lap.

Lap 3 coming across the finish line in 5th, the tyres are finally getting some temperature, still the tanks are full so you want to pick a conservative braking point. Since it's uphill you can just nail the brakes for the most part so as long as you apply them at the right point you are fine, having thus slowed the car to allow it turn I proceeded to apply steering lock and since my speed was low enough the tyres could provide enough force to turn my car. What I didn't expect was Dan doing his best Stuka impression in the Cooper, missing his braking point by a mile with my Brabham the only thing between T1 and Casablanca to stop him. Luckily Dan got off with a seemingly working car while I had to scramble out of my overturned machine.
I just wanna race

#5 Killer-Miele

Killer-Miele

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:25 AM

started as 5 ter due to several errors of other riders pushed to the last place
due to my frequent training and good knowledge of the course i was able to work my way forward piece by piece
so that I could advance to place 4
also favored by the mistakes of others
it was a difficult season with the departure of MP as team leader
i have made some mistakes as transition team leader but lacked the experience
but otherwise it was a great season at OAO
thanks a lot Bo for this experience here with you
frank

i was not in the blue car!

Edited by Killer-Miele, 14 November 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

Awful race for me. I was very busy with my job and trained just to learn how was the following turn. My laptimes were according to that. In addition I had very bad connection and that made me lose the concentration. I destroyed my BT.

The worst thing is that before that, there was a multiple crash in front of me and I couldn't prevent hitting a Blue Cooper that spun in the track. It was at almost 0 km/h because I braked all that I could, but he flew by the air. I was very sorry and damning from that moment in the race. I don't know if the guy in the Cooper was Dan Down or Tristan Bot (or other)...

A sad finish for a season in which I could race a good car, as is the Brabham, and got two podiums that, considering the level of oAo isn't bad at all.

I just hope the koins we have to be enough to repair my disaster for Div2 guys of the team.

Congrats to Dag Johnsen (or Don Johnson, as I always quickly read on the pribluda :P )!!!  And also congrats to Rob for this great championship and to Yannick for an impressive podium starting from the pits.

Marcos
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:06 PM

Blew the start, not sure why my revs dropped to zero. Tried to make up for my bad start and Tom payed the price for it. Really sorry :(
You gave all the room, but I didn't hold the inside well (enough), and then lag finished you off....

Then the car got out of shape in T3, and Michi slowed, not to spin me out. But he suffered himself as the cars behind didn't/couldn't slow. Thanks Michi, you could have easily spun me and I wouldn't have blamed you ;) You payed the price to do the honourable thing. Really sorry guys :(

Dag drove a great race from start to finish, and was really close to the championship. I had made a mistake and went in the haybales, but luckily didn't get stuck. It was really close and a mentally hard race.

Congrats to Dag for the win, and for such a great season! You pushed me all the way. I had hoped for a more glorious way to clinch the c'ship, but you cannot have it all. That was an under par performance, mostly on Lap 1, and until midrace I didn't get into a rhythm.

Later more ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 14 November 2020 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image

#8 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

Really sorry Michi for terminating your race. I apologize.
I missed my braking point.

Had a fairly good Qual for the Cooper and had a good start but had to slow down for slower traffic in front.
Found myself in P7 because of other's incidents. but was taken by surprise with an incident in front in L2.
But then, starting L3, that mistake.
My car was damaged and decided to continue even though the handling was awfull to finish P9.

#9 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:30 PM

Holy smokes , won again. :)

Ive practiced like an idiot leading up to this race since there was a glimmer of hope I wanted to give it a proper go. Not sure I will find myself in this position every season so I felt I owed it to the scenario to give it absolutely everything. Ran into Robert in free practice earlier this week and figured he would be impossible to do anything about. Front row and steal 1st was really the only thing to hope for. Did not expect Robert to dnf here considering he only needed a few points.

So when he had a bad start I could hardly believe it. Its been like this whole season , Im usually not that lucky. I was well ahead going into T1 and even had a good gap behind me. When I saw Robert was behind me I didnt know if he would just hang back and secure the points he needed or if he would hunt me down. In any case I pushed as hard as I could and the gap kept for a portion of the race , then I lost out a little in traffic and with 10 laps to go I could hear the eagle. From there I just kept it up as good as I could and made sure to stay centered. There was no way anybody was getting around me on that track in the last ten laps short of me going off , which I almost did once but luckily it held together. The car was also "rigged to blow" as there was no point in playing it safe but it seems we bought ourselves a real sturdy version of the Lotus. Good times. :)

#10 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:49 PM

A catalog of minor errors today; I did a good 2:09 in qualifying to line up next to my teammate Tris, and wanted to follow him all race - thinking we might be lapped by race finish.

After many flawless practice starts, naturally I got a poor race start, bogging down the engine. John passed me before I was cautious, braking early for T1, but so was he; I sped up a bit to repass him on the inside, so we wouldn't be side by side at T1 - this allowed us to get through unscathed when the kerfuffle in front blocked part of the track.

As Michi described above, a copy of the 2nd practice start earlier on meant the parting of the red sea at T3; I was the first car through, which left me in 3rd. Naturally, I then went off into the haybales before the end of the lap. I thought I felt damage as the steering became off-centered.

I then tried to let Tom by at T3 2 laps later, but by slowing down on the outside/racing line, I had compromised his turn-in; he touched the track edge on the exit and half-span, costing us both 5 seconds. At least it finished up better than Coulthard-Schumacher at Spa 1998, but I should have let him by much earlier or after T4 :bangin: . A shame he didn't get another podium today, as on pace he could have made it a 3-way battle at the front.

My pace wasn't great and after a sharp correction at T4 near half distance Yannick went by into 3rd; my steering got worse. I remembered to reset it, by going to full lock in either direction when I could, over the next lap. It re-centered - I hadn't had any damage at all! :o I went flat out to try and stay with Yannick, but 2:10s could only keep the gap stable, then he pulled away as I started to go off track from pushing too hard.

Near the end, I realised I was 1 lap short on fuel - perfect to be lapped, but Frank closed right up as I tried to fuel save. He had a half-spin with 2 to go, after I ran wide in T3. Dag and Rob were now with us and I let them by going in to the last lap, which would have been my fastest of the race had I let them by before the s/f straight.

Congratulations to all after a long season, specifically to Rob for both titles and Dag for taking it to the flag with a fabulous win. I note that us three are also near the top of laps completed and lack of contacts - half the battle is just getting to the chequered flag at each race :cc_surrender:. After that, it's all up to the gods of network code/lag.. For me, I need to catch up in on track laps, making less mistakes to pickup less damage and try to stay in a car that can compete.. :bowdown:
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#11 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:58 PM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 14 November 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

A catalog of minor errors today; I did a good 2:09 in qualifying to line up next to my teammate Tris, and wanted to follow him all race - thinking we might be lapped by race finish.

After many flawless practice starts, naturally I got a poor race start, bogging down the engine. John passed me before I was cautious, braking early for T1, but so was he; I sped up a bit to repass him on the inside, so we wouldn't be side by side at T1 - this allowed us to get through unscathed when the kerfuffle in front blocked part of the track.

As Michi described above, a copy of the 2nd practice start earlier on meant the parting of the red sea at T3; I was the first car through, which left me in 3rd. Naturally, I then went off into the haybales before the end of the lap. I thought I felt damage as the steering became off-centered.

I then tried to let Tom by at T3 2 laps later, but by slowing down on the outside/racing line, I had compromised his turn-in; he touched the track edge on the exit and half-span, costing us both 5 seconds. At least it finished up better than Coulthard-Schumacher at Spa 1998, but I should have let him by much earlier or after T4 :bangin: . A shame he didn't get another podium today, as on pace he could have made it a 3-way battle at the front.

My pace wasn't great and after a sharp correction at T4 near half distance Yannick went by into 3rd; my steering got worse. I remembered to reset it, by going to full lock in either direction when I could, over the next lap. It re-centered - I hadn't had any damage at all! :o I went flat out to try and stay with Yannick, but 2:10s could only keep the gap stable, then he pulled away as I started to go off track from pushing too hard.

Near the end, I realised I was 1 lap short on fuel - perfect to be lapped, but Frank closed right up as I tried to fuel save. He had a half-spin with 2 to go, after I ran wide in T3. Dag and Rob were now with us and I let them by going in to the last lap, which would have been my fastest of the race had I let them by before the s/f straight.

Congratulations to all after a long season, specifically to Rob for both titles and Dag for taking it to the flag with a fabulous win. I note that us three are also near the top of laps completed and lack of contacts - half the battle is just getting to the chequered flag at each race :cc_surrender:. After that, it's all up to the gods of network code/lag.. For me, I need to catch up in on track laps, making less mistakes to pickup less damage and try to stay in a car that can compete.. :bowdown:

Hell of a drive in the BRM, Iestyn! Congrats. Commiserations to Tom, it looked like he had a disco after recovering so well from the lap 1-T1 moment.

#12 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:57 PM

Was pleased to post a PB in Q of 2:10.58 but still over 5 seconds off Rob's pole time A Cooper track Aindiab definitely isn't and it only put me 8th on the grid.

Got a good start and passed Iestyn on the run down to T1 but was a bit tentative in the braking area so he took it straight back.

It was me Michi in the Blue Cooper on Lap 1. :( After managing to pick my way through the melee in the opening corners and ending up about 5th I think, I put the rear left off the track on the long right hander. In normal circumstances I would have just exited stage left but the remaining 3 wheels stuck doggedly to the tarmac and spun me round blocking the track. :(

So restarting from near the back I managed to claw myself back up the order as others had their own issues then on lap 6 (I think) I again put the left rear off the track this time in the final right hander onto the SF straight but thanks to the properties of the surrounding buildings slid through them all with no damage and ended up in the carpark losing all the places I had gained. :(

Had a great battle with Carlos and Enrigue which went on for most of the race, a few more mistakes meant I lost touch with both but Enrigue came back to me after he made a few mistakes and I finally passed him when he ran wide. Carlos was way up the road and I wasn't expecting to catch him in the time remaining but slowly hauled him in until I was only a few hundred meters behind with about 4 to go. Unfortunately (For Carlos) he blew the engine so I was gifted 6th. (I did think it was 5th until I heard about Yannick's start from the pit lane).

So I good end to the season for me, No damage and a few Points on the board.

Congrats to the podium.

Thanks to Bo and all who are involved in organising oAo on a weekly basis.

On to S24. . . . . . .

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 14 November 2020 - 03:00 PM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:16 PM

In my first run of quali didn't get in a good clean lap. But my second run was much better getting my first sub5! :)

I knew the Lotus is a better race car here. Lotus has better acceleration, and is lighter, especially on racefuel. I did take it for a spin as well. So I knew Dag would be strong early race, as well as Tom with the superlight Brab. I knew I could not afford to make a mistake at all. Pre race practise went well in general with a good start from Pole as well.

But not sure why I blew the real race start and lost the revs. Tom was in front on the outside, and he left as much room as he could. But I wasn't able to hold the inside well enough and did need too much real estate...that said, my LF wheel wasn't even close to his RR wheel when he spun off. Again, really sorry Tom, and shame for the lag contact...was annoyed with myself and made another mistake at T3 when the car got out of shape. Michi did a great job not hitting me, but he payed the price. Sorry to all involved, it started with my mistake...

So my state of mind wasn't good, knowing I had caused trouble for others. Didn't get into a rhythm and thought possibly the car was damaged after a Lap 4 mishap. Too many times I lost focus but towards the middle of the race things went better. My racesetup was also fairly conservative concerning gearings and tirepressures, in order to keep the engine safe. The gearings were good for low fuel, but not so much on higher fuel load. Too tall.

When I finally reeled in Dag with about  8 laps to go, I found out his exits and acceleration were better. I could close up at points but then lost out on acceleration again. Only once got a good tow, but on the backstraight and Dag was in the middle, so no way through. I also didn't want to take that much risks. I didn't want to take out Dag, but I did want to make him work for it ;)

Fairplay to Dag holding on to the win. That was a great and impressive victory my friend! You came so close winning the championship, especially with my Lap 4 mishap. Such a great season by you and your team Black Cat Racing, Michi doing  a great job as a TL as well ;) I highly respect the fact you pushed me to the final race. In fact you did what you had to do, but you simply ran out of luck when my car didn't pick up damage or that I got stuck on Lap 4. I was incredibly lucky today, and it wasn't my finest of races. But overall I am happy for the whole season. Possibly enjoyed my charge up the field at Roosevelt the most, despite having some damage.

Well done to Iestyn for 3rd in the standings, it's always fun racing you, and hopefully we have more closer races like Spa, and Roosevelt. ;)

Also well done Yannick for finishing 3rd from the pitlane, and well done finishers! Thanks to the lapped cars for the room. :) Bad luck DNF's...

Thanks to all drivers, TL's, Stewards, TSG and last but not least Bruce! :)

Attached Files

Posted Image

#14 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:19 PM

Because I was helping with getting my new home ready,
I was forced to miss qualifying. As it turned out, I even missed the start!

As the field went through T1, I jumped in my BRM to join the pack.
However, there was a slight major issue.
Because I spawned past the start-finish, I started as far back on the grid as the McLaren team did in 2015.
Thus I spent a whole lap on Lap 0, ending up a whole lap down according to GPL.

Luckily, as I reported this post-race, this has been restored,
so I'll write it in that perspecrive.

So in spite of this, I gave it my best shot driving a strong race.
At lap 2 I got past about half the field after a pile-up.
It went surprisingly fast, and evebtually I was already P4, with Iestyn in his BRM.

Though, I had a few moments, the car worked like a treat and I could drive quite consistent with it.
Eventually I got also past Iestyn for P3 and drove far away for him.
And as I drove to the finish I followed Pribluda seeing my teammate getting within striking distance of Iestyn but in the end, had to stick with 5th.
Nontheless, a good result from him, too.

The second half of the season was a big bust for me, but a third place here with a BRM is a pretty good bit of redemption for it.

Congrats to Robert prolonging his tyranny,
Dag with a great second place (and race win) and Iestyn with third.

Overall, this is a bit of a roller coaster season for me.
Driving privateer and team, having ups and downs, but in the end, a season where I look back to with satisfaction.

Be seeing you all next season!
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#15 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

Congratulations, Robert! :)

#16 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:15 PM

first, thanks Bo for all the job than you have for keep this league alive, :bowdown:
  second- congrats rob (ET phone home") for the championship and the constructor champioship also, wonderfull work :bowdown:
  thirth, my season was not all great, but can end this season in the first 9 places, and thats make me happy, for me and for my team, we are not the best team but we have hearth and desire, thanks for my team for give the best car than our koins can pay and for trusth in me :beerchug:
  cya next year buddies, i'm in again :bigsmile:
Posted Image[img

#17 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:09 PM

Well done, Robert, for another winning season. and well done Dag for a nail-biter race. Holding off one of the legends of this game in the last race of the season is not something I'll ever experience, but you showed the rest of us the poise and determination required to do it. I won't mention Iestyn finishing an almost casual fourth in the Pigmobile or Yannick starting from the pits and finishing third. Really? Where do you guys come from? And how did you learn Earth-speak? Come on. Tell us.

#18 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:53 PM

Its like Iestyn says about half the battle. Getting to the checkered flag is really the bottom line for me in online gpl racing. If I finish the race Im usually a pretty happy camper. When I finish a race it builds momentum which in turn builds confidence which again feeds into motivation and round it goes.

Many thanks my TL Michi and my teammates Claudio and Bob H for making this such an enjoyable season. We have stood well together and we didnt really know what to expect going into this season and now we are 2nd in the team championship.How bout that... :) We took a chance early on and bought a lotus when most others were driving brabhams and such and that really paid off in the end.

Congratulations to Robert and the Smokeys who look like the Mercedes of oAo. Again a dominant display in the team ch and in all honesty Robert deserves the drivers title on top of that. I mean for most of the season he drives a brabham so that the rest of us has a fighting chance , he could have jumped in the lotus from the start and then this title would have been decided a long time ago. The pace , consistency and precision he drives with still boggles the mind.

Also grats to Tom for taking such giant steps in pace over the season. A sub 07 in the brabham at this track is quite something and another new WR for that chassi. Watch out for him next season.

This is a great league and I cant wait to go again. Thanks to all of you for making this such a great online experience and last but by no means least , many thanks to Bruce for this wonderful creation and all his work to keep this alive. This really is something.. :)

Edited by D_J, 14 November 2020 - 11:58 PM.

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:25 AM

Thanks guys. This season was the hardest of all. But my experience and will to do well carried me through it. And many thanks to my teamies who created a wonderful atmosphere, and gave me confidence when I was in doubt or mentally struggling. Thank you so much George, Tames and Richard, for working together and for all the support! :)

There's still stuff to be learnt, and to become a better driver, TL and person. At times I am my biggest adversary myself, when (negative) thoughts take over while racing. Especially when encountering real life problems.

Apart from dealing with my own struggles, my brother has been diagnosed with Wernicke-Korsakov recently. It's very hard to deal with, also having a missing sister (already for 26 years). It's terrible also for my mother...

This one is for you bro, love you so much!!!

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 16 November 2020 - 05:15 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:48 AM

Robert: you have been and are a great Champion. I am very happy to share with you this league, that we are comrades, and that we can help you, even if it is small, to face the hard problems of real life. You are not only a great champion, but also an important member of this community. From Buenos Aires, a friend from afar greets you.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

Sim Racing Links