Rouen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Thanks to whomever rammed me up the backside on LAP 1 at the hairpin, ending my race, and probably totalling my new car.

#2 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

I'd love to extend my congrats to the "gentleman" Brabham driver who decided to go wide at the second-last turn in lap 3. Finally got a decent start with an aggressive strategy (15L stints), got plenty of manly (but correct) fights and then all of that went to naught because of this.

You deserve a small clap, sir.

On a side note, whose was the great idea to start a piledrive in the Nouvelle Monde? I saw a Ferrari and a red Cooper going full steam ahead into the apex of the corner, all half a feet in front of my car... I felt like Fernando Alonso in Spa 2013, honestly.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

sometimes it all goes side-ways after the break. too many don't practice enough, some not at all and think they can pick up where they left off.
oh, sorry - i'm talking about myself.

please gents, lets keep negative comments til we can see a replay?

just wasn't in the right frame of mind today. i messed up qually twice, and was no where near my best time of 58+.. not that it mattered much as there were (?) 5 drivers in the 57's?! wow....
my 'race' was ended early on a rookie mistake. end of back straight i got loose under braking and slid straight off... luckily between the tires! but then i reversed, to exit, and impaled the car on the tire i had missed.
wait, it gets worse, while trying to free myself, i somehow pressed <esc> and was retired :P

not the best of races for me... but self induced at least~
next up - Silverstone.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#4 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

I finally got a chance to race!!  Yea!
Practiced on Monday and Tuesday. I found  a setup I could drive, loaded it with full fuel and tested for drivability. Seemed good so I kept it.

It's Rouen, we all know about the hairpin, it gets someone every race. It happens.  I got through the mess and pushed on.  I knew I would be passed many times so I just kept on driving easy. I stopped at lap 6 for a reset figuring that the track would be clear and I wouldn't mess it up. Right after I started again the leaders came by! six laps!

By the time 20 laps were done, I'd been passed by the leaders at least 3 times. I was getting tired. I don't race as much as you guys, but I told myself try to get to halfway and see how I feel. ( and how many times I get passed!  lol)

I made a simple mistake letting someone pass and ran off at turn two, lost two wheels, end of race.

I hope I didn't hold anyone up when passing, I tried to let you go by as soon as possible, and as easily as possible.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#5 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Yay!  I finished a race!  And a tough one at that.   Hope I didn't hold anyone up too much.  Congrats to Roberto.
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#6 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi all, well Gabriele, that was me, sorry Mate, but if you are going to turn into someone who is already well past, well lets just say you might have to learn the hard way, I appreciate your description as " gentlemen " though,  Nicly put.

My race was very rewarding for me, decided to start from the back, never like the mad scramble near the front on the opening laps, think if I had practiced might have made 8th perhaps?.

Also having realised that I'm not exactly the quickest around there, filled the thing up, so didn't have to stop as it turned out ended with enough fuel for at least another 7-8 laps, had a great race with Mick, we must have swapped places 2 or 3 times on the last 3 laps, as we are talking Gentlemen, he is truly the fast Gentleman driver, over those last few laps he must have thought about the chances of the dive down the inside, but not once did he, great scrap, really enjoyable.

So here ends my first full length race, thanks go out to all the back markers for their intelligent driving, well done to all.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 05 August 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#7 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

A PB in qualifying gridded my Cooper 9th. I was able to avoid the carnage in T2 on the first lap and five or six laps later I found myself in 6th behind Mick's Cooper. I followed him for a couple of laps, noticing that I actually seemed faster than he did. He must have had a full load of fuel (I was running 1/2), because there is no known universe where I can keep pace with him absent the intervention of the forces of darkness and evil. When we came to the right-hander at the end of the long straight (and saw the yellow flag waving frantically at Bo being trapped in the tires), I took the inside and may have outbraked Mick, for the next thing I knew I'd overtaken him and crossed the S/F line in 5th. This outrageous state of bliss for a G1 driver continued for the next nine laps, at which point I went into the woods beyond T1 and smacked the car around, producing four minor damage reports. The car, however, felt undeniably hinky, so I pitted at the end of L17 in 7th and came out with a SHFT-R in 10th. But this also meant that I'd need another stop for refueling unless the race might somehow be stopped by an atomic attack.

That didn't happen. I stopped again for fuel on L46 with a 27 second lead over Andrew Hutchinson's Honda and came out trailing him by five seconds. I stalked him for four laps and passed him at the inside of the hairpin on L50. I think my overtaking was not well-executed, because my view of the replay shows Andrew being shunted off to the left as we're accelerating out of the turn. I probably should be relegated at least one position for that. Worse, I went off into the weeds at T2 and managed to return to the track directly in front of Andrew, undoubtedly causing more than a few of his hairs to turn white instantaneously. This is no way to treat a new addition to the oAo fraternity, especially in his first race, so I apologize for my aggression, Andrew, and vow not to repeat my sins anytime soon. I would blame it on the drugs, but my dealer didn't show up last night, so I'm blaming it on the lack of drugs.  :)

#8 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi all,

This was my first race and I'm happy to say that I finished albeit 3 laps down. I had three offs, all pretty light, and I'm reasonably happy with that.

Thursday night the setup utility went haywire in gem  and I had to redo my whole system and just got it back in time last night. I kept losing sound during the race if I didn't touch the key pad but it is better than losing the screen like I was last night in the ADC. I also forgot that I there was a password and that I'd need one to partake. Luckily Bruce checked his email and I got onto the back of the grid just in time. From there it was pretty straight forward: drive slow and don't go off. I drove so slow that I ended up with 8.8 gallons left over when I crossed the line. If anyone was short after the race, maybe we can talk trade. Mostly that was from capping the revs at 10200 but even then I was surprised. I'm no good at Rouen so while I sampled some other people's set ups, I'd also done a bit of practice with the default settings (and blown my share of engines  hence the rev cap) and that's what I ended using when everything went sideways. For some reason I was unable to access the drivetrain menu to fit a taller 5th gear or to add fuel for 60 laps. I raced at 55laps worth or whatever was default for the race. In actual fact I didn't realise there were pitstops until some pulled in in front of me:) I'll know for next time. At the speed I was driving the Honda was actually pretty good  in the first half. I can't drive without a good front end and so I sort of consigned myself to puttering around until the load came down. In actual fact it got worse (so did I!) as time went on,  which made me wish I had gone quicker earlier. In my defense I'd done enough practice to know that my leg wouldn't hold up if I had to fire the thing  from  a late hard apex. All that throttle play just makes my leg cramp after a  couple  of laps so I did something different and exercised patience instead which made me slow but likely kept me in the race. Towards the end I took three shots at a better time (high 2:00 - high 2:01) but messed up each time. By then I had a lap to the guy behind and not much chance of those in front so it was worth the risk. By now I hope I've successfully explained away all of the 204-11s I managed. It was worth a shot...

As for the race itself - I thought it was fun. I had some issues with the leaders being on my prib but completely invisible on my screen and in my mirrors. I'd had an incident here a month and a bit ago just after starting GPL again while in the 69 mod with a BRM. In that incident I couldn't see the leader through the low wing and so this time I kept abreast of what was going on much better  but even then I got a couple of surprises. I believe one such incident was with Alex. I couldn't see him at all and the prib said 160 yards and then he never appeared. After the race I see he finished only 2 seconds off but I never saw him go by. I was at the end of what was going to be my one decent lap ( |I locked and through it away) and eventually got on with my own race thinking it was a prib issue. I'm very sorry if I slowed him up but he never appeared on my screen.

At any rate good racing with you guys and I look forward to Silverstone. It should be a lot easier there.

Andrew Hutchinson

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

I had my usual kind of race.  I had a pretty good start, passing Chapman off the start.  Then shortly after, Navonne and Hammonds came together right in front of me with both clearing the track, and so with luck, I got to the end of Lap 1 unscathed.

Then I had some small mistakes, culminating in a bigger mistake at Sciere, at the end of the back straight, where I lost two places.  I went off at Sciere three times in about 5 laps I think.

Around lap 45 when my concentration was waning, I came out of Paradis, the final bend, rather twisted up and slowed in too high a gear.  Searching for the right gear, I put it into 1st and blew the engine, neatly timed so that I could coast back to the pits and have a GPL one second engine replacement special!  Some retirements ahead of me pushed me into 4th.  I didn’t feel bad about that at all, since I’ve had my share of unfortunate retirements as well.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

No problem Pepe. It was good racing you. I hit my look right button just as we touched and I opened up the steering right away. No damage that I know of. Later on was just a case of if I had been faster I would have been through, but, I wasn't. I had a ton of push through turns 2 and 3  as the race wore on. Lost a lot of time in that section that I wasn't losing with a full fuel load. Never got on top of it. My tires had long been stone cold and so thought better than to press the issue going into the hairpin.

Andrew Hutchinson.

#11 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Well, that was disappointing to say the least.

Didn't have high hopes for this one. I try to love Rouen but it never returns the sentiment.

Qualified in 5th with a 1:57.6 which was about where I expected. Got a great start but had to back off as Ed seemed very tentative off the line. This did though have the advantage that it put me right up his chuff so forcing Claudio to take the long way around T1 and I came out of the turn in 4th. T2 was where it all started to go pear shaped. Was hit from behind by Claudio and found myself spinning off into the weeds as the field hurtled past and rejoined with only Claudio behind. Passed some unfortunate soul stuck in the tyres at the hairpin and set off on pursuit of the pack. Worked my way back up to 11th and was following Tim into Sanson only to have Claudio slide past on the entry hit the outside wall and we made contact on the exit and I was into the fencing and last of the runners with it all to do again.

Worked my way back up to 5th over the next 10 laps or so and found myself behind Claudio, I got pretty close a few times as we came around to lap a few drivers but couldn't manage to get a run on him to any good effect. I had decided on a 1 stop strategy working on the assumption I might need a bit of damage repair by half distance and had quite a big pit window of around 8 laps. Decided to pit on Lap 28 as there was a good 0.5ml of track free behind so I should hopefully get out before Bob S came by, also in the hope that Claudio might also pit later and I could make the undercut work somehow.

All continued to be going well and I was maintaining a gap back to Bob of around 1ml and was now behind Claudio by about 0.8ml, so still in a very safe 5th with the chance that a pit stop or mistake from Claudio might make 4th a possibility.

Then on Lap 34(ish) disaster struck when Niky lost it ahead of me on the run down to the hairpin and hit the fencing. I had 2 choices, left or right and chose the wrong one, hitting Niky as he spun back across the track and ended up on my roof, race over. :( No complaints Niky, You were a passenger at the time but annoyed to have thrown away good points and damaged the Brabham. Oh well.

Congrats to Robert, Alex and Ed for the podium.

On to Silverstone.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#12 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yeah bad luck John, you sertainy had enough of it here, but like you I'm looking forward to Silverstone, as a newly qualified O,A,P, I should now have enough time to practice, no excuses then.

Can't say how much I enjoyed this race, just love starting from the back, it's what I see racing to be all about, knowing you have the pace to make it exciting and fun.

Gabriel, sorry if my replay to you was a bit sharp, take a look at the replay, try to understand the situation you were in, you might see it a bit differently.

Regards Tim.

#13 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

View Posttimbo, on 05 August 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

Hi all, well Gabriele, that was me, sorry Mate, but if you are going to turn into someone who is already well past, well lets just say you might have to learn the hard way, I appreciate your description as " gentlemen " though,  Nicly put.

I wasn't steering into you: I saw you cannonballing into the turn from my mirrors, and I thought "Hell, I might have to let him pass, he's coming in too fast". So I've let you through: suddenly, as I was with the car's nose almost at the same height as your engine, I don't know what the hell happened, I saw your tail flicking around during acceleration and it hit me, sending me through the barrier and then I was stuck there.

A perfectly good race went to hell because of that flick. At least I hope that Siversone will be a bit more lenient to me.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#14 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

John  I still could not see the replay of the race, but I apologize for the incident, it was not my intention, I lift the foot of the accelerator all I could but it was not enough.
Apologies again
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

Apologies on behalf of the team to Ronnie and John. Haven't heard from Niky (yet), but I will give my opinions on what happened.

On lap 1 Niky checked up for the incident between John and Claudio, but Gabriele didn't and tried to pass Niky. Not sure if Niky got caught out or gave too much room towards the hairpin (or maybe even lag came into play getting a sideways bump on the client pc, since what happened between Alex/Niky), but he touched the kerb and went on the grass. Then he was a passenger and T-boned Ronnie :( Clearly there was no attempt to pass, nor Niky ran too fast. Surely it's Niky's mistake, and it's a very tough break for Ronnie and HMR. Ronnie, it's a shame you got eliminated due to Niky's error, massive apologies!

Same for John. Niky made a weird mistake, it looked like he got distracted or a temporary fps drop/screenfreeze since his steering stayed right so long. He bounced back on the track and John had nowhere to go when he tried all he could to avoid. Another heartbreak for John who ran a great consistent race after his bad luck on lap 1. Sorry mate. :(

Finally Niky suffered from lag when Alex lapped him in the hairpin. Alex did nothing wrong, Niky simply got unlucky there suffering from the lag. It wasn't a great place to let Alex by in the first place but sometimes racing situations play into that.

Grats to Roberto, Alex and Ed for a great show up front, have missed what happened to Ed in the last lap...nice grid and finishing rate in D2 as well! Great job Pepe with P7. Best G1 driver in D2 and an unmissable asset to the team! Commiserations to the DNF's!

PS: admirable debut by Andrew in the Honda! Also great attitude despite suffering from some of Pepe's antics! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 06 August 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#16 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for explaining, Robert.  It's just so disappointing to be looking forward to 2 hours' racing, only to be eliminated in less than 60 seconds.

#17 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

Wonderful :(
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#18 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

No Problem Rob (Claudio & Niky).
Stuff happens. I got away with Light Damage overall and at least Claudio's nudge meant I missed the mayhem at the hairpin. :drive1:
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#19 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

View Postsnafu, on 07 August 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

No Problem Rob (Claudio & Niky).
Stuff happens. I got away with Light Damage overall and at least Claudio's nudge meant I missed the mayhem at the hairpin. :drive1:

:thumbs:
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

Sim Racing Links