Server Crashes : What You Should Do !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C.Ascari

C.Ascari

S1-S3 MRC GPC79 CHAMPANZEE

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts
  • Interests:Kicking everyones ass in a race.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

SERVER CRASHES : What should I do if the server crashes or boots me.

I want to have an outline for everyone in the event we go through this, that way it's a simple matter of following a couple steps, to get back racing, or not, depending on the situation.

ALWAY'S LOOK FOR A POST FROM ONLY C.ASCARI REGARDING WHAT IS HAPPENING IN LEAGUE ANNOUNCEMENTS. DO NOT START YOUR OWN POST. If Cesare Ascari has not begun a post regarding the issue at hand, then it's quite obvious the race will continue and no replacement or fix is needed.

Here we go.

Getting Booted

If only a few drivers get booted, the race goes forward. If it happens in Warmup, and I'm still on the server I will attempt to restart warmup so the booted drivers can hopefully rejoin. But if not, it's your badluck and considered a car failure.

During the race, it's just badluck, and the race goes forward as well.

If there is a mass boot, where the server crashes, we need to know what's going on as communication is tough in the rFactor lobby. So we'll try and make things very clear right here in the forum and you can know what to expect.

I will outline asap what I'm doing.

STEPS TO FOLLOW IF WE HAVE A SERVER CRASH

1. If the race has been started, and 20 minutes of race time has passed, but half race distance has not been achieved, a massive boot will NOT require an immediate restart. The race will be black flagged and re-run at the end of the season. Too much time has passed, and a restart will not happen.

2. If the race has been started and drivers have completed half the race distance or more before a server crash, the last current standings from the lap prior to the crash will be counted. We may need imput from drivers to help determine positions. You will be responsible for providing your last known position before the lap which the disco occured.

3. If the race has started and 0 - 20 minutes of the race has been completed, an alternative server with the amount of laps left will be supplied. For example, if the crash occured with 8 laps completed in a 40 lap race, the replacement server will start with 32 laps. ( More info on exact settings below )

4. If the race has NOT been started, all drivers are responsible for waiting for the admin to replace or fix the issue. This means, if the race has not yet been started, it is your responsibility to make sure your ready to race on the fixed Primary, or replacement server. If you decide not to race, this is your decision and we will not be held responsible for your lack of attendance on the replacement server. Alway's come to the forum and look for a post by Cesare Ascari as to what server is being prepared for the race.

Server crash during Qualifying

(I will alway's attempt to contact Gunny first)

If during anytime in qualifying, the server suffers a massive failure, and we need to restart the primary server, or use the replacement server, it will be set up to allow 15 minutes of qualifying. And 10 minutes of Warmup. Race distance will remain the same.

Server crash during Warmup

If during warmup the server suffers a massive failure, I will not attempt to contact Gunny, and setup the replacement server. The server will be advanced to a 15 warmup session and this will be used to determine positions.

MRC Championship Racing : is our PRIMARY server.
MRC Secondary Server : will be the server name for the replacement. Same password as above.

I will make sure that the above server is ready to go. Phil Ashio's server, with all due respect to Phil for his supreme generosity, is in my opinion not a valid replacement, the connection speed is just not there for a full field I'm afraid. Again, thanks to Phil for trying to help !

I think that's about it, and I hope it makes things more clear on what to expect and what you should do in the event we go through this again.

Cheers !

CA
Who Said : "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, teach a man to feed a fish and round round we go !"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MRC GPC79 HOMEPAGE
SEASON 6 STANDINGS
MRC GPC79 LIVE TIMING
MRC GPC79 HOTLAPS

C.Ascari rFRacing License

Posted Image

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

excellent post!
well done Commander
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Phil Ashio

Phil Ashio

• Mybroga
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Racing Cars, watching Cars race, computers, computer games, Wife and kids. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

I feared that I could not handled 20+ players and well I was right. My server can handle 10-15 drivers without an issue.The bandwidth is there. It is available for practise for anybody who wants to use it. As a replacement for the race server...nah-ah. No.  lol
It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

#4 C.Ascari

C.Ascari

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:23 PM

I took some time and set mine up, tested it with Ha Maha, working fine. We're ready to rock'n'roll if something unfortunate happens with Gunny's.
Who Said : "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day, teach a man to feed a fish and round round we go !"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MRC GPC79 HOMEPAGE
SEASON 6 STANDINGS
MRC GPC79 LIVE TIMING
MRC GPC79 HOTLAPS

Posted Image

#5 pai

pai

Gabriel Legnini

• Mybroga
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:36 AM

CA, did you separate rFactor installs, so you can save the replay with no trouble? Just remainding you :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

This time it blew-up really spectacular! When I realised it was about to go, I gave the accelerator pedal an extra kick and shot the revs up to 12,000…just to make quite sure.

Jochen Rindt - Watkins Glen GP 1967

#6 C.Ascari

C.Ascari

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

I thought about it, and I just upped the amount of drivers shown to 28 in my install. So we should be good to go for replays. But incase that's not the reason it get's all funky, maybe I will try the 2nd install, and see if that helps.

I'll do it today sometime. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MRC GPC79 HOMEPAGE
SEASON 6 STANDINGS
MRC GPC79 LIVE TIMING
MRC GPC79 HOTLAPS

Posted Image

#7 Dom77

Dom77

Ascari's right hand man !

• Mybroga
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

remember to have the modified renault.ini file for the backup server.
Typing using the COLEMAK Keyboard Layout!

COLOSTRUM - Is the "immune milk" Supercharged with 97 immune factors and 87 growth factors. Colostrum is 3 times more effective than tamiflu.
VITAMIN D3 - Avoiding getting the colds/flu 1,000 IU per 25 lbs of bodyweight http://www.iherb.com/Vitamin-D                    
REAL INFO ON CHOLESTEROL
Workouts from Gym Jones, the guys that trained the actors from 300 movie Save the Boobies!! Detect Breast Cancer Sooner!
                        Jack Lalanne Face Workout! How To Poop Properly! Pooping 2.0

#8 C.Ascari

C.Ascari

• Administrators
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

It's all set, seperate server with modified renault.ini, tested and working :thumbup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

MRC GPC79 HOMEPAGE
SEASON 6 STANDINGS
MRC GPC79 LIVE TIMING
MRC GPC79 HOTLAPS

Posted Image

Sim Racing Links