• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi, fellas!  :)

I intend for this thread to be an on-going affair where I'll post for the club my ideas as to revised grids for the circuits we run in GPL.  This is especially important as we come across new venues in our revised and fresh schedule starting in October, 2009.

What I'll look for are existing grids that are, imo, too tightly packed to the point that it's more than a fair bet that getting cleanly away from the start for all concerned is largely a matter of luck.  I'll spread out the field in a longitudinal sense and perhaps latterally, too.  I'm rather keen on 3x2 staggered layouts but may opt for the odd 2x2.  My first candidate is the upcomng round at...

MONSANTO

Lovely circuit.  Great ride.  The original grid is a very tight, 3x2 PARALLEL layout that, while perhaps accurate for back in the day, is surely a recipe for disaster for an online GPL race with the ADC.  Further, the grid is on an upward slope that will be a challenge to get away cleanly...more likely, someone will bog and cause chaos behind.  I've opened things up considerably with fully a 10-metre deep spacing that pushes the tail of the grid clear around the last corner.  Runners from back there will only know that the race is well and truly on by seeing cars immediately ahead of them move off...not a ghost of a chance of seeing the starter.  By all means test and offer up your feedback.

Attached File  monsanto_grids.zip   3.23K   18 downloads

Now for...

AINTREE

The original is a 2x2 semi-staggered layout but with all the cars line-astern which, imo, isn't getting the best utility out of the space available.  I much prefer, again, a fully-staggered layout where there's offset being the rows...gives a nice, long view up-track.  In the revised folder, a 3x2 staggered layout c/w offset as opposed to single-file in two rows.  By all means test and offer up your feedback.

Attached File  aintree_grids.zip   3.49K   10 downloads

For backup and archival purposes, the original track.ini is included.  Good Luck with 'em!  :)

#2 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Good work, Donnie. Thanks for taking this on. :thumbup: It seems you may need to go back and look at the server grids for most of the tracks. I know we've had better grids at Nurby & Zandy than we've had to deal with recently.

Jim
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#3 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi, Jim.  Yes, I noticed that in some recent goes despite knowing that I submitted a revised layout for, say, the Nurb some time ago.

I suspect that it's the MOD-thing kicking in.  I may produce a revised layout in the 'track.ini' file which defaults to the GP67 cars but if the event is scheduled to be a GP66 or GP69 affair, I believe that GPL goes looking for the appropriate file with the '66' or '69' suffix.  I'll make sure to provide grids that cover the range, then.

#4 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

After Jimmy's prompt, I took a look at Zandvoort's GP69 MOD grid.  OUCH!!!  3x2 parallel jammed in their like sardines!  :(

Try this one on for size...

Attached File  Track69.zip   1.72K   7 downloads

Save a backup of the original...just in case.  :)

#5 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:03 PM

I couldn't find Monsanto in the Track folder on the server, so I installed it, then added all the modified Track.ini's to the server.

Edited by Tom Johnson, 04 October 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#6 Mark Uribe

Mark Uribe

• ADC
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

Do I need to install these grids for them to work online or will they automatically work if they are on the server? :huh:  TIA.
GPL Rank     +35.920
GPL 65v2 Rank     +26.098
GPL 66 Rank     +13.692
GPL 69 Rank     +65.124
GPL GT Rank     +55.942
GPL F2 Rank     +5.256
GPL 69X Rank     +51.527

#7 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Mark, you do not need to install these grids as the server will take care of the grids online.

#8 John Fulk

John Fulk

• ADC
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the Help with the Grids,,  Donnie and Tom :clap:  :clap:
It is appreciated much,

John

#9 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,222 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:01 PM

Hi guys! I'm back!  :D

Donnie, thanks for putting these grids together. And a thanks to Tom also for installing Monsanto and the grids Donnie posted. Greatly appreciated, you two  :thumbup:

For the record, I've also installed the new '67 patch, and the Targa Florio, should a need arise...

Fletch
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#10 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:09 AM

Welcome back, Captain!  :)

Hope that you had a great time and that you enjoyed BN's company yet again.  Bench-Racing City, I'll just bet!

I'm pleased to be of service to the Club in providing these altered grid layouts, Dave.  No fun if we're all line-abreast and too tight for comfort.

Attached, a zip containing a revised, revised grid for Monsanto that takes the pitboard guy out of the pit area...where you have precious little time to read the data...and shoves him fully 400m down the track on the right side.  Now, users should have ample time to scope the board.  This location also gives you the data from the lap just completed.

Just pop the whole file into your 'monsanto' direcetory and let it replace the previous revision.

Attached File  monsanto_pitgy.zip   1.53K   9 downloads

Sry I didn't get a chance to get it posted for the Aussie round.  Hope it gets loaded for our subsequent starts here.

Doni

#11 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on Oct 11 2009, 08:09 AM, said:

Just pop the whole file into your 'monsanto' direcetory and let it replace the previous revision.

Done, happy to be able to help out, Dave and Donnie. :)

#12 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

I took a look at the grid layout for Riverside this AM.  Looks OK as is, imo.

The configuration is effectively a 2x2 affair in a symetrical...ie, P3 lines up directly behind P1; P4 lines up directly behind P2...pattern.  That may not be the best arrangement but here, there's considerable longitudinal spacing provided with fully a 20m gap to the next car in your line.  I can't see that being a problem.

Have a good race!  :)

#13 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,222 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, Donnie!

Dave
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#14 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:48 AM

Clermont-Ferrand

The original grid is not very satisfactory for our on-line racing purposes.  Much too tight even if it's accurate to 'back in the day'.  I supplied a revised version way back in February of 2009 but even it has its weaknesses.

Now, I've revised the layout completely into a 2x2 staggered, linear arrangement with 10m longitudinal spacing between the slots.  Unfortunately, this means that the last grid position to comfortably see the Starter...ground level on the right...is P12.  Anyone gridded beyond that will just have to wait til the others ahead leave to know that the green has waved as they'll be postioned around the last corner.  Sorry.  I tested with the AI in both GP69 and GP65 and both fields got away cleanly.

Do what you can to start no lower than P12!  :)

In the zip, track.ini's for all MODS.  Just extract and pop the lot into the 'clermont' folder.

Attached File  clermont_grids_NOV_09.zip   7.8K   18 downloads

BTW, I use the term, 'linerar', to define the grid as having every other grid slot line up directly behind; in a lateral sense, P5 starts directly behind P3 who in turn starts directly behind P1.  In 'offset' layouts, particularly 2x2's, I try to set every 2nd starter with clear air directly ahead.  Limitations of track width are usually the determining factor in making the selection.

Good Luck, Everyone!

#15 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:39 AM

Monaco

I've posted this revised grid previously but now am providing it 'across-the-board' for all MODS.  The original Monaco grid is very tight as you well know.  My tuning will separate things considerably.  Alas, starters well down the field will not be able to directly view the starter so wait til the rows ahead of you have pulled away to know for sure that we're underway.

Attached File  monaco_grids_2009.zip   14.42K   9 downloads

Oporto '58

Tested this over the weekend and found a very tight 3x2 layout.  Probably quite appropriate for 'back in the day' when the F1 cars were so much narrower.   :lol:

The 3x2 pattern has been maintained but now each car in a row has been set back fully 10m from the next car ahead.  Starters at the very rear are just planted in the last metres of the last corner but can still see the starter up on the left.  Modded grids provided for all MODS.  '66 on tap for our first race here.

Attached File  porto58_grids.zip   9.38K   14 downloads

It's always a good idea to test at least one of these before installing to the server.

Good Luck, Everyone!  :)

#16 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

Tested and installed on the server, thanks Donnie. :thumbup:

#17 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

Bathurst/Mount Panorama:

We have a GP66 Big Race coming up at this venue in little more than a week.  I scoped the grid last night and this AM to find...well...quite frankly...a bungle in the original offering.  For some reason, the lateral spacings on the rows are not uniform and I can't for the life of me see why this should be so.  Odd-numbered rows have a lateral spacing between cars on the 2x2 grid of 4.5 metres.  Even-numbered rows feature a 6.2 metre lateral spread.  ???  This won't fly, chaps.  Accordingly...

In the zip, the original track.ini provided for backup/archival purposes plus my rehashed layouts for all MODS.  The 2x2 pattern is retained with uniform lateral spacing now and a fully 10m longitudinal spacing between cars.  Starters at the back will be handicapped as they cannot see the starter thanks to a rise in the roadway part way along.  Sry.  Go faster next time!  :)

Attached File  2009_nov_panorama_grids.zip   9.04K   10 downloads

Good Luck!

Edit: I suppose that if you really needed to see the starter from the back rows, you could engage the F10 'Chase' view and possibly see the drop of the green but with ADC policy of 'No Passing Til After T1', it's hardly worth it.

#18 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

East London & Silverstone:

Hi, fellas!  In the first zip, a grid for EL that I posted just about exactly one year ago but now available for ALL MODS.  Just unzip straight to the EL folder.

Attached File  2009_EL_grids.zip   9.47K   8 downloads

I caught Tommie Johnson's post in the Average Div thread last week re a tight grid @ Silverstone but forgot to post a revised, more spacious layout.  Here it is to cover in future ALL MODS.  Just unzip to the 'silver' folder.

Attached File  2009_silverstone_grids.zip   8.06K   9 downloads

Good Luck!  :)

Doni

#19 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

GRIDS FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH OF DECEMBER!  :)

NOTE: In some circuits provided today, I've posted the pitguy at my personal preference since I do not use Pribluda.  Some of the defaults locations provide precious little time to read and absorb the data from the pit board.  If you find the location not to your liking, revise the positioning of the pitguy by REMMING OFF the line with a semi-colon right at the start of the line and removing the sem from the line below.  This will restore the default location for your pit board.  For example, here's the current, default text for Aintree:

pit_board = -8.0 270.0 -100.0 100.0 ; dlat of board, dlong of board, dlong LOS start, dlong LOS end (last 2 not used)

Here's what I'm using now:

pit_board = -8.0 1350.0 -100.0 100.0 ; dlat of board, dlong of board, dlong LOS start, dlong LOS end (last 2 not used)
;pit_board = -8.0 950.0 -100.0 100.0 ; dlat of board, dlong of board, dlong LOS start, dlong LOS end (last 2 not used)
;pit_board = -8.0 400.0 -100.0 100.0 ; dlat of board, dlong of board, dlong LOS start, dlong LOS end (last 2 not used)
;pit_board = -8.0 270.0 -100.0 100.0 ; dlat of board, dlong of board, dlong LOS start, dlong LOS end (last 2 not used)

As you can see, I've been experimenting with a few settings but have ultimately decided on the the -8.0 1350.00 figures.  This puts the pitguy down the other side of T2 and provides data for the lap just completed.  Frankly, I'm not sure that it's the best either and may extend it a bit!  :D

IN THE ZIPS, THE TRACK.INI FILES FOR ALL THE MODS CURRENTLY IN USE.

Aintree:

Attached File  2009_Dec_aintree_grids.zip   9.06K   10 downloads

Spa:

Attached File  2009_Dec_spa_grids.zip   10.04K   9 downloads

Reims:

Attached File  2009_Dec_reims_grids.zip   10.89K   6 downloads

Mexico:

Attached File  2009_Dec_mex_grids.zip   10.43K   11 downloads

NOTE: A special 'experimental' track.ini file has been provided for Spa.  Please test with an offline race against the AI with a full grid of 19 competitors and let me know what you think.  Be prepared for a bit of a shock when you go to track.  :)

Attached File  spa_experimental.zip   1.78K   7 downloads

Good Luck!

#20 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

All of December?  Uhhh...  Well...  Not quite...

I forgot the ADC GPL BIG RACE next weekend at Buenos Aires.   :doh:

Here's a much-needed revised grid...and pit stall assignment correction...for the BA15 circuit.

Attached File  2009_Dec_ba15_grids.zip   8.7K   6 downloads

Below, the original pit stall figures.  Can you spot the gaffe?

stall_0  = 68.0 -12.2
stall_1  = 59.0 -12.2
stall_2  = 50.0 -12.2
stall_3  = 41.0 -12.2
stall_4  = 32.0 -12.2
stall_5  = 23.0 -12.2
stall_6  = 14.0 -12.2
stall_7  = 5.0 -12.2
stall_8  = 6071.0 -12.2
stall_9  = 6062.0 -12.2
stall_10  = 6053.0 -12.2
stall_11  = 6064.0 -12.2