• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,103 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:53 PM

lord.. Michi.... the idea of COMPLETE reinstall just terrifies me :(
you've no idea - example, i got excel when i was running XP and happy it still works, but to reinstall now?  ... where are those CD's? <<< that kind of thing is one SMALL example.
or... with XP came FrontPage (how i do the oAo web pages) that program isn't even around (that i know of)

just a nitemare of time... and what if... but ~ off to run chkdsk now (which i think i had already done when all this was happening before)  also a memcheck (for  the RAM) proved inconclusive and the HD is a SSD and not more than 2 years old.

question... could my modem/router be a cause? its the only thing that is 'on' all the time (as is my PC)  so where this happens, sometime when NOTHING is open/running, and i'm not even in the room! i come in and see the PC/BSoD screen rebooting ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#22 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:41 PM

View PostMichkov, on 24 May 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

Wait, no reinstall of anything ZZ? That seems unlikely, than again I never had to reinstall Win10.

I'd assume that changing the MB will require a reinstall of Windows and most of the software. Which is a good idea anyway imo. Keep in mind that you'll have to get a new CPU, new RAM too, since the CPU wont be compatible with a modern one and the RAM neither. PSU you can keep, HD too if it's not too old.

In the meantime run chkdskand see if it finds something

Yes, I didn't have to reinstall Win10. All I had to do was re verify through the windows troubleshooting. Did a windows search for troubleshoot, and there was an option to  re verify. It asked if I had installed new hardware, and voila.  I did have to install the new MB drivers.

Bo's got something going on. Either a MB or someone's spying on him. If he's got an old router around, maybe hook it up after the modem/router combo with a new password and see what happens.

Edited by zzbusch1, 24 May 2020 - 06:42 PM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#23 Don Dodge

Don Dodge

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:15 PM

My hard drive went all funky on me and wouldn't boot.  I got a new, solid state hard drive and had to install Windows from a new disc.  The new GPL install went well, and I still have access to the old hard drive for all the setups and replays.  In my case the drive was a big improvement.

#24 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:10 AM

Hi guys, still running win 7 here, solid-state hard drive, 1050 Gforce GT graphics card, run max graphic's, no stutter, no screen freeze, yet, and no disco, fiber broadband is a must, 30-35 Mbps, you obviously have to pay for the broadband per month, the computer was put together by a small PC company near me, that and the graphics card cost £350, what's that in $, anti-virus is taken care of with AVG, find it free online, but there is no sensitive stuff done on this computer, BANKING ECT, weather that helps anyone I have no idea.

Regards Tim.

#25 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on 24 May 2020 - 03:53 PM, said:

question... could my modem/router be a cause? its the only thing that is 'on' all the time (as is my PC)  so where this happens, sometime when NOTHING is open/running, and i'm not even in the room! i come in and see the PC/BSoD screen rebooting ~

No, a BSOD is caused by some internal failure of the machine. I've never heard of an attached device causing one in an attached device.

Regarding software, I got a free alternative to Excel on hand. When I changed from Excel to it there where minute changes to the workflow, if any. Frontpage I got nothing than again a WYSIWYG html editor cant be that hard to find these days and if all fails there is always notepad++.

I get that uprooting the whole system is scary but at one point the failures have to be more hassle than spend a weekend setting up a new system.
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links