#1 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

What the hell!!!

Massive pile up, and i got hit in the back and got stuck in the fence....

WTF!!!

I'm guessing that a 2nd group was formed after a slow start, ignored the yellow flag and just plowed into the next group who slowed down for the pile-up in front of them.

I mean seriously!

I try my best to race cleanly and score points and coins to keep my team afloat... and this happens...

This is only my 2nd DNF this season, and this time, i'm not at fault!

Edited by MK3424, 11 May 2019 - 09:15 AM.

Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#2 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,750 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Race started.  At the first corner I discover that I cannot downshift.  Went around to the pits and tried a Shift-R - no help.  Went to another race and the controller worked just fine.  :'(  If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#3 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

My apologies to the Honda that hit me at the back stretch esses. I was trying to stay left off the line to let you through, but I saw you start to slide. I couldn't get out of the way.  Totally all my fault.

Edited by zzbusch1, 11 May 2019 - 11:00 AM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#4 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

Another race totally lost !   Lost the car in Tarzan , tried to do a half spin to re-enter , bad manner the car jump the pavement and the fence and I was prisonner inside the circuit with the spectators... :yucky:

i'm a bit tired with this game as I see I don't have the cold blood for racing ... And I'm a weight for the team  :bash:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#5 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Here's the video... and i'm not pleased....

https://youtu.be/9REny1M8L0s
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#6 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostTomy AFX, on 11 May 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

i'm a bit tired with this game as I see I don't have the cold blood for racing ... And I'm a weight for the team.

Tais toi, FC. You've already shown what you can do, and your improvement from last season through the CanAm to today has been nothing but dramatic, and positively so. If this game were easy, anyone could do it. Think how Michiel Pompert must feel these days, and he's one of the best GPL drivers in the world.

#7 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

My apologies to Bo, I went wide and came back on track, was almost up to speed when you arrived, I thought I had enough momentum but you were beside me right before the left hander; we didn't touch but you went into the grass, I should have backed off.. again my apologies :Oo:

Edited by Aljones, 11 May 2019 - 01:23 PM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#8 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

I sometimes have the feeling that I'm walking on eggs as the countdown to the starting grid is underway. I keep thinking of all of the things that can go wrong to keep me from making it to the checkered flag. Today I'd managed to set the best time at Zandvoort in the practice before qualifying began that I've had in 16 years, only to have a really mediocre result when it counted (14th of 18 on the grid). As I sat in the pit with about one minute to go until the end of qualifying, I thought I should move forward out of the pit area. As I did so, the setting that returns the Thrustmaster wheel to the center position failed. The damned thing was acting as if it had a broken spring. This has happened in practice before and the only cure is to reboot the machine. I didn't have time to do that. I had no idea what that was going to do to my attempt to race cleanly. It's just not possible to walk on all these eggs without breaking most of them.

The track ran red with blood ten seconds after the green flag between Tarzan and the hump before the following right-hand bend. Two sets of accidents took Eduardo and Kayo out. I gained four places before the second corner simply by not hitting anything or anyone. After about ten laps I found myself in 9th, a few seconds behind Tim and a few seconds ahead of Ricardo. Most of the battles that Tim and I have had through the years wind up with one of us punching the other off the track. That didn't happen today, only because my poor Cooper never got close enough to him to be a threat. Ricardo is a different puzzle to me. He dominates the privateers division of UKGPL like the Colossus of Rhodes, but somehow here I frequently wind up in front of him. At one time I'd stretched my lead to 10 or 11 seconds, but he charged back at me in the final laps, gaining a couple of seconds or more each lap. I held him off somehow, but it must have been a frustrating day for the poor guy.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 11 May 2019 - 12:13 PM.

#9 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:17 PM

Well your right there Pepe a few, well more than a few, of our races have ended in tears, for one or both of us, but not this time, did you let me by? felt like it, anyway the opening lap went much as usual, CHOAS, but managed to avoid serious damage, had a couple of little races with Pepe, and notably Bruce, but only because he lost several places going off, and rejoined behind me, it felt like he was quicker than me, but as he will testify Iím not the sort of person to let people by when racing, being lapped is of course totally different, that is correct and has to be done.

Good race for me started 16, finished 7, very happy with that, Nurburgring next, this will never be good for me, so will have to see how that works out.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 11 May 2019 - 02:18 PM.

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

i'm only now beginning to even feel like writing -
first to Alain - no apology necessary. i saw you in PLENTY of time to back off, but since you'd had a couple other 'offs' and i'd gotten by, i thought (wrongly) that you'd not fight.
i don't blame you! you stayed left, and gave me room to overtake - the problem was i pressed to overtake and couldn't hold the track :P   MY fault.

second to Francois - sir - as Pepe wrote, you've really improved! now is not the time to question your ability. maybe you've never had a setback after some success? i'm having about my worst season EVER (20 years) so i don't want to hear/read "i'm not of cold blood"   ;)  

third - my qual was satisfying - esp in the beast - at p8... thru early going i had managed to gain  p5 but Alain kept taking it from me. my off lost it well & good.
another brain fade as i approached the hairpin, i don't know how to explain, i downshifted too soon? turned in too early?  both? result was a spin off to the inside and i felt in a terrible place to rejoin. finally with several back/forth i was back in the race, but now p9 or p10... doesn't matter. i was far back from my own doing, and now just 2 laps remain, so i will be happy with a finish... except that didn't happen.

sigh ~
on to Nurby!  grats to George (someone to best Tames!)... tho i read in iGor later Tames was suffering from flu :o   and he still managed p2!!??  with Claudio taking final podium spot!  you guys may not have noticed but since his return from holiday, Claudio has become a front runner! .... maybe a holiday is what i need?
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#11 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

View Posttimbo, on 11 May 2019 - 02:17 PM, said:

. . . did you let me by?

I did, but only because my steering wheel wasn't centering itself. It's hard enough for me to hold guys like you and Ronnie off under the best of circumstances, but with a wheel that had no resistance to the slightest input, I felt that it would be simply dangerous to try to duke it out with you today. After 30 laps or so, I was feeling a little more confident, which is why I tried to keep Ricardo behind me in the final laps.

#12 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

Bo, you are a gentlemen ! :wiggle:  that is why I felt bad for not backing up, I had fun pressuring you, very impressive drive with the monster of Bourne !  hats off to you...

Happy with qualifying in 7th as I didn't practice at all until this morning;  had a  good race setup but even finishing 5th I was just lucky..made way too many mistakes and got easily distracted also noticed that if I slowed down just a tad, tires would cool down too much... I will have to review the setup so it does not happen at Nurburgring

Edited by Aljones, 11 May 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#13 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

Felt like crap due to the flu, and considered not to race. After a nap I felt a little better and decided to give it a go. Qualifying was tough first half through, made some small mistakes and had to slow down for other cars a bit at times. Then all of a sudden managed to get a new Pb in of 1:25:14, still don’t know how I pulled it off.
It was great to have George in the race, he was pushing me right from the start. I knew that it would take only one tiny mistake to loose the lead. It was in lap 19 where George braked a little late and hit me at the end of the straight. Luckily we could both continue. Would not have been a great show when 2 drivers from the same team would have ended their race there. Not that I blame George in any way, we were racing so close that stuff like this happens. In lap 24 I made a very silly mistake, too much power coming over hunzerug and went off. No damage again, how much luck can you have? From there on I soon realized it would not be possible to get back to George. I went off another time two laps before the finish, but had enough gap on Claudio so I took my time re-entering and drove slowly to the finish. And then went back to bed. Well deserved victory by George, congratulations! Also to Claudio, very strong in third.

Looking at the big crashes in lap 1, my humble opinion is that drivers go off their line too much, and re-entering the track in too much of a hurry. Without pointing fingers I think it is fair to say that 2 or 3 drivers caused a lot of others not making it to the finish in the first lap.  A pity really, it goes against everything this league stands for.

@Francois: After reading your post here, I looked at your replay. What I saw was very solid driving and very nice passing maneuvers where you were disciplined enough to wait for the right opportunity. The real reason you could not continue after you went off was (again) impatience and off course bad luck. Just think about this: if George and myself would have retired in lap 19 and you had taken a bit more rejoining the track, you would have been on the podium. So don’t be too hard on yourself. We’ve all been there.

#14 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:51 PM

I had a tremendous first half of the race, Tames and I were battling it out and I could swear I barely blinked in the first 19 laps or so. I would love to make a little film of the early fight. I was in two minds about racing Tames this hard because I knew running so closely was risky (I enjoyed the intensity though, like a battle of wills) and I was his one-off team mate with instruction to bring the car back in one piece. However, I didn't want him to just cruise away either. What to do? I was opting for sitting tight and waiting and aso applying just enough pressure but then...

I had two lapses which could have ended in disaster for me and my temporary team mate. I guess my luck held. The first was missing my braking and shunting Tames into Tarzan (cardinal sin of hitting team mate! I was mortified) but we both got going again and resumed the fight until laps later Tames had a big moment exiting Hugenholtz and I escaped. For a split second, I couldn't decide whether to wait for him or press on. The reason was guilt, I felt I had compromised his car handling with the shunt and I didn't feel it would be right to profit from that. However, I couldn't hear his engine sound so I thought, it was probably the end of his race so I carried on. I was relieved to see him in second place after that. I could breathe now.

The second lapse was trying to get past Niky at Pulleveld and messing it up. I thought there was a gap but it closed. I really should have waited for the straight. Lesson learned. Unfortunately, the contact forced Niky into retirement. It kinda spoiled things a little for me when I found out after reviewing the replay. I need to tidy things up a little for the future.

Edited by cg7aa, 12 May 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#15 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Well George, Congrats on your first win !

Please take this as constructive:

you said it yourself, you hit your team mate in the rear then caused another racer that you were lapping,  to retire no less... since I've been racing in oAo, I was the victim of 2 "encounter" with your car...once at the first corner of the first lap of my first race in the fall of 2017 then last season at Mexico when you spun and right yourself when I was right beside you, causing me to spin and you went off like nothing happened...

When you appeared behind to lap me, my first thought was to give you a hard time, for those 2 incidents, then I thought better of it and let you thru...Men, you are a very fast and talented driver, you just need to mesure the consequences...

Hopefully you will learn from those comments, for what it's worth...

Alain from Montreal

Edited by Aljones, 12 May 2019 - 04:40 PM.

Sim Racing Links