• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

I'd like to know if the Targa race with the GT cars will be run with Pro Damage mode?

Or what I'm asking Bo, is just how much of a Sadist are you? :)

But seriously, how will this be run? Are you going to seed the drivers, then get them to enter the server fastest to slowest, then run the race as a time-trial in practice mode? That way, drivers can get in two to three laps in the 120 minutes and you can just see who got the fastest lap.

Otherwise, the practice will likely be too short for qualifying, then after the first driver in the race finishes, the last driver(s) will be cut off by the time limit.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#2 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 04:40 PM

Well with the 2 hours time limit, the way I see it, you join the server and can start at your discretion; you can do one lap or more time permitting but if you stop you have to stay logged to the server till the end ?
" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:30 AM

As I understand it it's 1 minute staggered start 1 lap distance 3 resets for the lap.

Best case scenario with a full grid it takes 20mins to get everyone rolling and about 50minutes for the lap so we are looking at 70-80 minutes. But once you are done you should be able to leave the server.
I just wanna race

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

per the email i sent to all::::::::::::::::::::::::::

well i meant to include the 'race' would be ONE LAP...
is there any reason why someone that left first, wants to continue, can't do a 2d?
only the amount of time would restrict that i guess.
however:

but NO RESETS in pits!

means, don't stop and make adjustments etc

On 7/9/2018 12:18 PM, Bo Bruce wrote:
TARGA!

i'll launch for a 2 hr "practice/Qual" session that will be used as the RACE.
this will be run in INT mode and you will be allowed three (3) Sh-R's... but NO RESETS in pits!

when you finish, stay online - if we get a full grid, and you leave, someone else might join and your time will be replaced :o

joining=1 coin
finishing=1 coin
top 6 = 1 coin

questions?
again... PLEASE let me know if you intend to 'race'
thanks~
b

hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

I'm unclear on how this is supposed to work in detail.

1)Either we get on the server, run 1 lap and wait until the time runs out

2)Or we get on the server and someone starts off the cars at an interval. Which means we could end the race once we know that no one is on his run anymore. It's also the mode the original race was run.

I'm for option 2 if this is up for debate
I just wanna race

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:15 PM

1. you can get on server run 1 lap  and stay online (if you don't your time 'could' be overwritten if a full turnout+)
2. i'm good with someone (Michi?) sending cars off in increments of 1min.

but i also have no issue with any completing a lap, and continuing a second lap. if 40min is an average laptime, and we have 19 start, then the last car will be going on his run about the time of the 1st cars completed lap
and that still allows even the last car to leave, time for a 2d lap, with 1min intervals and a 120 minute session.

just know, NO STOPPING IN PITS at completion of 1st lap, unless you are finished running.
another possibility is if less than a full grid - very likely -  once everyone has done their lap(s) drivers 'could' leave as there might not be time for any late comer to complete a lap...and with less than a full grid, even setting a time won't override anyone who has set a lap.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:21 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 10 July 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

i'm good with someone (Michi?) sending cars off in increments of 1min.
Can do.

but i also have no issue with any completing a lap, and continuing a second lap. if 40min is an average laptime, and we have 19 start, then the last car will be going on his run about the time of the 1st cars completed lap
and that still allows even the last car to leave, time for a 2d lap, with 1min intervals and a 120 minute session.
If that is the case how do we score this event? Best of two? Everyone should be able to get in two laps in a 120min session, but that would be a runtime of 90min. I thought the aim was to be in the range of a standard oAo race. Also I think allowing a second lap is unfair, if we run a distance of two laps that's different though.

just know, NO STOPPING IN PITS at completion of 1st lap, unless you are finished running.
another possibility is if less than a full grid - very likely -  once everyone has done their lap(s) drivers 'could' leave as there might not be time for any late comer to complete a lap...and with less than a full grid, even setting a time won't override anyone who has set a lap.

You cant do that if you want to put in a good time. Best practice for Targa is pulling the car over after the first right off the lap and exiting.
I just wanna race

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

ok.. thanks Michi (will act as Moderator (?) and send cars off in intervals)

aim for Targa is a fun event, best lap(s) determine standings. if you can or want, to do more than one and time permits its ok.
personally, i don't want to do more than one lap! completing one (2 coins) is incentive enough... and for me, a best time of 44 min if i recall,  is torture enough.
standard oAo race length (1 hr) is not a factor in any of the summer break events.

all times are based on the 2 hr session of practice/warmup/qually... there is no 'race' to follow.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#9 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:40 AM

So Bo, will you start the server at 10:00 est to finish @ 12:00 like usual or 10:30 to finish later ?
" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

ahhh excellent consideration Alain.... i hadn't thought of changing to an earlier start, and 'many' wouldn't know of it (few read email these days on a regular basis)
lets leave the start same as norm... those that are satisfied with one lap (myself) will be finished by normal time  ~ so the option of a 2d lap is also up to the individual to go longer than the normal 'end' time.

still.... that was a  good question! :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 10 July 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

I don't understand the reasoning of this, although it's pretty inconsequential.

It seems to me that the way to run this is, you put in enough fuel for the laps you want to do, do one lap trying to not have any major crashes, then do another with a bit more wild abandon to see if you can improve it - or not.

Since you are allowing 3 resets, refueling can be done anywhere on the track. Now, if we were running Pro Damage (which would be very difficult here), the only way to run another lap if you had major damage or got stuck off the road, would be to quit and come back in the pits.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#12 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

my first thought was 'no 2d chances'..
then i thought 'if all were doing 1, and someone did a pit+sh-R, they'd potentially catch a slower, and much later departure.
it was only after the 'added' (via suggestion) of allowing 3 sh-R on track that i realized allowing a PIT+sh-R was irrelevant - mostly.
and finally, as you point out. the REAL and TOTAL reason was meant to disallow <ESCAPING> and returning to a 2d PIT and departure. << THAT is what is not allowed  :)

make sense?
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#13 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:03 PM

IMO we are making this much to complicated than it need be.

Set a distance, 1,2,i laps, where i is an integer between 1 and 127
Drivers get 3 Shift-Rs
If the driver exits the car he forfeits
The one with the least amount of total time needed for the distance is the winner.

I'm for launching at the usual time, as that is what people are used to.
I just wanna race

#14 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 12 July 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

Now, if we were running Pro Damage (which would be very difficult here)

:lol: That would be interesting to see how many would actually finish.

Bruce, is it 3 resets per lap or 3 resets for 1 and 2 laps?
Greg Taber

#15 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

what Michi said :)

Greg 3 resets - period
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#16 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:04 AM

Could I suggest that for those who are overtaking a slower entrant that you wait for a clear indication that the lead car is making a hole for you.  Trying to barge past at the earliest opportunity could lead to tears for both.

#17 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

Since I'll be starting the field, consider this your drivers briefing:

Once everyone say is on the server I'll be announcing "Driver A, Driver B" in the chat. Where upon Driver A gets in the car and drives off. Driver B is the next in the line. A minute later I'll announce "Driver B, Driver C", with Driver B being send off. We'll keep going until I'm the last one left at the line, I'll be bringing up the rear.
The usual race chat discipline is to be observed, else we'll end up all confused.

Apart from that if there is a car behind you treat it as a blue flag, they'll already got a minute on you. That said don't expect the car in front to just pull over as soon as they see you in the mirror, that is neither feasible nor practical round here,. SO keep your cool and wait a moment instead of barging through a gap that isn't there.

If you stop the car after you crossed the line I suggest the slip road after the first righthander to come to a safe stop.

That would be all, any questions?
I just wanna race

#18 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

So it is total time for 1st 2 laps or best lap in the session.

#19 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:17 PM

best lap
I just wanna race

#20 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:51 PM