309 replies to this topic

#301 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,222 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

Hello J.D.! Good to see you over here. Shoot me an email at rockysmart1@yahoo.com, or Andi Cole, the GTR2/GTL Director at andi@eloc0.co.uk directly, and we'll get you going.

You know, oddly I wasn't sure whether to mention the MyRacer website over here or not. Things do seem rather quiet in that forum, but maybe some of the ADC guys would like to have a look. There are certainly a wealth of good videos around there, if nothing else. Just in case, here goes. MyRacer.com is a webspace started by Racer magazine, of which I am a subscriber. There intent is to try to build a racing community over there. Since there was no group dedicated to PC simulator racing (just consoles), I decided to start one. It's entitled PC Racing Simulations, and it's in the Groups section.

Fletch
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#302 Mark Uribe

Mark Uribe

• ADC
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

Bio and pictures, eh? ooophf. Figured I've dodged this long enough.

I was born in southern California and grew up in and around the whole Los Angeles area. Both my parents were teachers, Dad was an Art Professor/Artist/Photographer and my Mom taught many different subjects from science to art to math. They divorced when I was very young. Dad died when I was in high school ('80s) but Mom is still alive and kickin' and recently traveled to Africa and Antarctica at 73 years old!!

For me, I was headed for a possible athletic career when I got side tracked by music. Out of high school I started working because I just couldn't bear going to school for 4 more years, or more, and continued to fool myself about becoming a rock and roll drummer. Moved back east in late 80s and after a year or so and a failed business venture went back to trade school in L.A. for audio recording, mixing and post production. Decided to try the other side of the glass as it's called in the biz. It went pretty well as that, and a contact I had made on the music side of things, led me to my 15 minutes of fame in this life......err, so far. That was being the sound effects editor for 3 seasons on a cartoon called 'The Ren and Stimpy Show'. It aired on Nickelodeon in the mid 90s, later on MTV and still gets some run here and there. After that I got into the advertising side of audio post production for a few years and was able to garner, with the help of the composer I worked for, a regional Emmy for Sound Design on a promo spot for a local TV news broadcast. That's when I was living in Northern California. (Ever watch KCRA, JimC.?) Moved back to L.A. for what was suppose to be a better job in '98 and it turned out not to be.....better or eventually a job. Things worked out for the best, though, and I'm still here in L.A......for the time being.

:band1:
I started playing drums when I was like 9 I think. Never had any formal lessons but managedto make my way through 4 years of marching band/orchestra and 2 years of jazz band in high school. As well as playing rock 'n' roll away from school. Never got into 'that band' that would take me to stardom, obviously, but I still play when I can. Which isn't much lately since I've been getting serious about guitar, blues guitar that is. Just picked up a set of harmonicas too.

:gpler:
As far as sims go, I would have to say that GPL was my first and in a sense my last because it will always remain on my PC. Recently GTL and GTR2 have found their way onto my HD. Before that it was mostly Grand Turismo on Playstation1/2 along with various other driving/racing games, and a few PC games like GP3/4, various Colin Mcrae's and Sports Car GT to name a few. Online racing has only been with the ADC, GPL-GTL-GTR2, and various GPL pick up races in iGOR.

As for any real racing in my life, there's not really any unfortunately. :(  I wanted to get into racing dirt bikes as a kid but my Mom wouldn't go for it. I have, over the last 10 years, taken some go-kart classes. One even included an inter-class race that I qualified on pole for, actually another guy and I got the same time, but I ended up finishing second. Been wanting to get more into karting for some time now and hopefully this year will be the year.

Oh ya and cars. Well I didn't want to admit this but my first car was a 1966 Porsche 912. My Dad bought it in Stuttgart in 66 and had it shipped back after his vacation. He gave it to me before he died but it had sat around for many years and was rusted, falling apart and needed alot of work. I ended up selling it, for way less than I should have, and I kick myself to this day for my stupidity.  :bash: Did have fun with it for a few years though. From there it was an 85 Mitsubishi P/U (totaled in accident), a 79 Honda Accord Hatch(sold), 92 Civic Si Hatch (stolen twice, written off the second time), 2000 Civic Si Coupe (stolen once and never seen again; I miss that car :weeping: ), and currently driving a 'beat up' 95 Honda del Sol (ya, I like Hondas). Fun little car, but looking to trade up soon....I hope.  :pray:

So there ya have it, more than you ever wanted to know about ol' Marko. ;)

Pics of me at 2006 USGP at Indianapolis in the World Champions garage on the VIP tour. Courtesy of SPEED TV, Michelin and Renault......and my friend's wife whose shaking of hands and kissing of babies lead to being chosen for this amazing 2+hour tour. One of those once in a lifetime type things......but hopefully not.
B)

Edited by Mark Uribe, 26 March 2007 - 10:51 AM.

GPL Rank     +35.920
GPL 65v2 Rank     +26.098
GPL 66 Rank     +13.692
GPL 69 Rank     +65.124
GPL GT Rank     +55.942
GPL F2 Rank     +5.256
GPL 69X Rank     +51.527

#303 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Ren and Stimpy!! Wow!  Was that a fun gig? It was a fun show to watch, for sure. Yes, who in Sacramento can avoid KCRA, at one time or another. ;) At least they had good sound, once upon a time. Those shots at Indy are incredible.  :wow2: They even let you hold Alonso's helmet?!? I mean, you trusted yourself not to drop it?!?! :D Well done, Mark. If you're ever back in SacraTomato, look me up. I'd love to have you sit in at one of our practice sessions. So your current job doesn't bear talking about? ;) I've had some of those. Luckily I can use the past tense when I say that.

Jim
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#304 Mark Uribe

Mark Uribe

• ADC
  • 859 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Yup, the helmet was the real deal. That thing was so light!  :o I thought it was just a replica, but our guide, the head of press for Renault, said they were the real thing. And yes there was a little bit of nervousness. What if I did drop it?!? :unsure:  :P  If you look at the back shelf in that picture on the top is Heikki's helmet and on the bottom shelf, barely visible, is Giancarlo's. Just wish it was in focus; at least you can tell what it is. There are some more pictures that I have to get from my friends and I'll post some of them at a later time. :thumbup:

Ren & Stimpy was the best gig a sound editor could want. More or less total creative freedom to do what I wanted but every now and then I would have to have something specific for the director which wasn't a problem. But I didn't have anyone over my shoulder which was as much as anyone could ask.

Currently I have been only working part time doing various things, so not really anything to report. Trying to get things done 'round the money pit right now. There's lots of work on a house that for 20 years has had little to no repair or maintenance; and I've been dodging it long enough. However it takes dinero so work is unfortunately a necessity. Hopefully I can find something 'on-going' with short hours and high pay. Why can't we just be famous, well paid musicians and be done with it? :punk:  :lol:
GPL Rank     +35.920
GPL 65v2 Rank     +26.098
GPL 66 Rank     +13.692
GPL 69 Rank     +65.124
GPL GT Rank     +55.942
GPL F2 Rank     +5.256
GPL 69X Rank     +51.527

#305 Steelman

Steelman

• ADC
  • 982 posts
  • Interests:GPL ( natch).online and offline racing. Music(playing pedal steel guitar)..Fly Fishing and Fly Tying. Model Railroading ( currently in HO Fine Scale)<br />and stirring my Aussie mates :)

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

Mark...you really have to make up your mind mon ami......do you wish to be a musician....or a drummer ???? :flipa:  :rasp:  :lol2:

Glyn
(Just a super slow old GIT trying to make like a  :gpler:  :unsure: )
(also trying to make like a musician  :P )
Posted Image

Start of GPLRank     + 195.697
UPDATED Sept.22-07 +124.972  Coming down slowly :)
Updated May 14th 2008   +121.852

( The hurrider I goes the behinder I gets )

#306 kennoe

kennoe

• ADC
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

No new posts since March last year! This thread needs a bit of activity.

I have been a member for a couple of months now but have only just realised the significance of a comment in David’s welcome note about introducing myself. Now I understand, having arrived at this thread purely by accident. Anyway, after that lame excuse here goes……

I was born in a little country town in New South Wales, Australia called Bulahdelah and grew up in the nearby city of Newcastle. Like many boys of my generation my first job was at the local steelworks, where my father and two elder brothers also worked. I have lived and worked in four of Australia’s six states and currently reside in Brisbane, Queensland (which as everyone knows is: “beautiful one day, perfect the next”) with my partner and three strapping young sons.

I have spent most of my working life in human resources, although my current job is in project management. This, I have learned over that time, appears to qualify me for just about nothing else in life, but I guess having survived this long it doesn’t really matter.

I have had a life long passion for plastic model kits, mainly aircraft and have many, many yet to be constructed kits, some more than 20 years old. I shudder to think how much I have spent on this hobby over the years, with very little to show for it (victim of too many house moves). I have dabbled in model trains as well, but never with enough space to do it justice.

I am a very bad piano player in need of a new piano and enjoy all sorts of music. I am a rower to keep fit (maybe “to keep my weight down” is a better description), which means 4.00am starts 3 mornings a week.

Some of the Australian “rites of passage” I have survived: been to an AFL and NRL grand final, State of Origin, Bledisloe Cup match, F1 GP in Adelaide, Bathurst 500 (when I saw it live), the EKKA, Melbourne Cup and a B&S ball, driven the Birdsville Track and surfed (badly) up and down the east coast. This still leaves room for many others and so I am looking forward to becoming a “grey nomad”!

I came across GPL by accident when looking for some pictures of 1960’s vintage racing cars. Anyway one thing led to another and I was hooked. With the period in which GPL and its various mods are based spanning my late tweens/early teens, the exploits of Clarke, Hill et al appears to have created a lasting impression, which is probably why I became so interested. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to devote to GPL so my “rank”, if you could call it that, is well over 100 (*%&@ Nurburgring!).

Anyway that’s me.

Cheers

Steve Kennedy

Edited by kennoe, 21 August 2008 - 12:47 AM.

#307 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

I enjoyed your bio, Kennoe. Be sure to get in touch with Monte who shares your perfect little corner of Brisbane. You two are very fortunate to have a  :gpler: in the same town. I had to travel from the USA west coast to Brisbane to finally meet up with a fellow member face-to-face. :)

Jim
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#308 Piotr

Piotr

• ADC
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

I joined ADC in March 2007 but only noticed this topic now so here goes my story...

Seeing a lot of adult guys here I can say I was born behind 'iron curtain' and you will understand what it means :) Poland 1968. Described then as "funniest tent in a camp" it was still black, very black Mordor.

My youth was spend in Orwell "1984"'s like environment that I am sure made an impact on my personality. I am just completely immune to any kind of marketing (propaganda) communication. Funnily enough I work as commercial person for an advertising business... What an irony...

My first memory of motorsport is TV report of Lauda's crash at the Ring. The commentary in my 'news' was sort of "see where this capitalist decadence leads to". I didn't need more encouragement to dig deeper.

The simracing. The first thing I tried was a CGA game PC from company called 'accolade' or something like that. Then Crammonds' F1GP. Oh boy!!!! Then GP2, GPL, F1 from EA and all that followed, with most affection to Simbin sims.

About me now...

Music: The Police, Sting in his "Bring on the night" period, and all other music that mixes rock rythm with jazz imagination

Film: all works from Cohen brothers, "Fargo" and "Big Lebowski" first of all, Harold Ramis' "Grounhod Day"... the arch masterpiece of "Godfather" trilogy and stupid comedies library with Will Farrel

Books: history and science books. all rest is waste of time imo :)

Travel: Italy above all. I spend vacation there every second year. I love that country. N.America  too. I travelled for 3 weeks by car coast to coast on the south.  Plan to do same on northern States and Canada.

Life: 'recycled' single, enjoying life :)

Hobby: GTR2 and GTL in ADC. I am cheating a bit with iRacing, but my real 'family' is ADC. Formula 1. I adore it. I travel to race al most very year.

Future: Race with my ADC friends. Loose weight, god dammit!

The gallery:

Here is me: (you guessed right, I am the guy on the left) Spa, 2007

Posted Image

the guy on the right is Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber F1 driver. I followed his career since he was 14 and seing him coming from "no motorsportland"  my country into F1 is absolute exstasy for me....He is good by the way.... Really good!

and other pics and videos from my Spa 2007 adventure

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

here is a video of late Saturday team practice... after that mechanics asked for cigarrets and we had long nice chat :)

http://pl.youtube.co...h?v=zYyzpAIkCco

Cheers,

Piotr

#309 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the bio, Piotr. The pics are great. I'm quite jealous. Kubica's quite a driver.

Jim

#310 pennydata

pennydata

• ADC
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

Francesco Pennetta
Born 29th April 1979, Puglia - Italy
A little Sister Monica, a pair of weird, problematic parents and a bunch of good friends.
Officially I'm a bachelor
No children... maybe.
5' 10", average weight, slim though my bit of alcohol tummy appears
Dark eyes, long hair as I'm a classical musician, or I try to be so.

5years Science High School
6years Industrial Engineer at Padua University
No military service (dismissal for health)

Main Interest:

Old and Contemporary Music, both playing and listening.
I keep myself fit and tonic with yoga, so good for articulation and breathing.
I'm learning a second instrument (tenor saxophone) which is gorgeous and extremely difficult, but I love wind instruments which are an useful school for learning tones control and expression on my main instrument (that is the guitar).
Plus I love to work at my office, it's one of the better thing that ever happened to me, furthermore my very good friend is always near me since 2001.

And ... surely Simracing is a great hobby and passion, I never practised it constantly but with your kind help maybe I turn out to be a decent driver. Infact my main passion has always been engines, drivers, bikers and whatever has wheels.

I'm a great GPL fan and lover, My offline efforts took me to a poor 1:34 at Monza on Brabham as Best Time.

I'm going to attach my photo ...

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by pennydata, 20 February 2009 - 07:08 AM.

FRANCESCO PENNETTA - VICENZA ITALY

Sim Racing Links