Preseason Testing

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

Testing Week 13 Details  (changes from last test are in blue)

Tracks - download and extract to your rFactor folder.  There are 4 tracks we're testing the mod with: Road America, Sebring, LeMans, and MidOhio.  (If you downloaded these before, no need to redownload)

Please note - we have changed... GTs at Mid-Ohio.

To install, you must have the GTs installed first... this will not work without them.  Download packages and patches here.

Notes:
- It's been some time since we tested the protos.  We need to know if any are too dominate or have issues.  Please don't just test the one that sounds the best (you'll know when you find it ;) )
- As you test each of the cars, please post your setups, notes, and details (top speed, fuel, tire wear, brake wear).  The more data we have, the easier it is for us to spot issues.  Just testing the cars without providing this feedback is not helpful...
- Motec data is very helpful. please rar and post your data (once you've settled in on a good setup, etc).

1/4/10 Race
- 75 minute race (standing start, formation lap) at MidOhio in GT
- Server set to normal tire and fuel wear
- Qual at 9:15pm EST, 15 minutes
- Race start at approximately 9:35 EST

Regarding the season... (no changes)
- obviously we are waiting for v3 of the mod
- we are working to have it ready by end of 2009.
- Current plans are for the season signup to commence in mid-late December
- We will begin license validation races and preseason races (help determine car selection, get used to racing together in large fields, etc) in early January
- Season will kick off the beginning of February.  This gives us a little breathing room in case the mod release is a bit late.
- This means it will run through the summer.  We wanted to try to adjust our schedule to take the summer off, but it's not going to work out due to us changing to v3 of the mod.
- The feedback about the mod has been very positive by our testers.  There is still work to be done, but we're getting there...

Post Race
Replay

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Jason Quinn

Jason Quinn

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

Forgive my ignorance by why haven't we tested all the cars at one track (over 4 weeks) then again at a different track (over the next four weeks)?  It seems counter productive to test the cars one place, make some changes, then test different cars at a different track.  Even testing at two different tracks in one week would make more sense than this.  If we tested all the classes at Le Mans and Mid-Ohio on the same night we would get info on how the cars deal with a high speed track and a high downforce track on the same night.  Testing anything at this version of Sebring is just a crap shoot.

I'm just trying to understand our testing procedure, not trying to tell anyone how to do their "job".  So no offense is intended.

I won't be running the test race this week.  Not because of ERL or any other prior commitment.  I just hate this version of Sebring with a passion and I'm absolutely done running it in any league with any mod.  Best of luck to everyone and have fun, these new Prototypes are a blast!

Jason

#3 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

-> Lola B1 Judd P1Test Team loads only the temp skin for me - on or off line, whatever driver´s car detail (low, medium or high), whatever DX (7,8 or 9);
-> Got many screen freezes, depending on the cars that are in the server, mainly the Dome - once I enter Garage the game freezes, the cursor moves but can´t clik on anything - only able to leave this situation by pressing ENTER.
-> Lola Aston Martin Default setup is very good, Pescarolo´s is undriveble for me.
-> Lola Aston Martin is a sweeeet! Nice job!
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#4 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

View PostJason Quinn, on Dec 29 2009, 09:31 PM, said:

Forgive my ignorance by why haven't we tested all the cars at one track (over 4 weeks) then again at a different track (over the next four weeks)?

We have various data points we are analyzing against so it's not as relevant for us to stay at 1 track. Our model is set up so if we are correct in 1 class, we are correct in others.  Yes, there might be some minor discrepancies which we are also tracking - but we're not at that final final stage yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 john jogan

john jogan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

this is what i'm tooling around in with the mazda.  pretty stable and hits 189 at the back straight.  still a little shaky in 1st gear getting it going, but not as bad as what the p2's initially felt like.  both diesels are broken right now.  much worse fuel milage than the non-diesels.  plus, they drag their chassis' around the tracks unlike the other cars.  would love for these cars to get a little attention to make em competitive.  the oreca judd, using the same setup, fells rock solid, but only hits 178 on the back straight with the same wings/setup.  i'm running full fuel and mediums.  8/21 wings.  tried 7/18 but the instability wasn't worth the trade off for the extra 6mph or so.

Attached Files

Posted Image                     practice, fool

#6 TimCollier

TimCollier

Champion Motorsports

• VOR Admins
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

View Postjohn jogan, on Dec 29 2009, 10:44 PM, said:

this is what i'm tooling around in with the mazda.  pretty stable and hits 189 at the back straight.  still a little shaky in 1st gear getting it going, but not as bad as what the p2's initially felt like.  both diesels are broken right now.  much worse fuel milage than the non-diesels.  plus, they drag their chassis' around the tracks unlike the other cars.  would love for these cars to get a little attention to make em competitive.  the oreca judd, using the same setup, fells rock solid, but only hits 178 on the back straight with the same wings/setup.  i'm running full fuel and mediums.  8/21 wings.  tried 7/18 but the instability wasn't worth the trade off for the extra 6mph or so.

I'm getting stomped at work this week pretty bad guys....and once I get away from there on Thursday, I'm taking off until the 11th so expect a lot of attention to come this way....I'll do my best to see what can be done for the P1's before Monday, but I have a thought I'd like to run by Bruce first regarding Monday's test...
Tim Collier - Champion Motorsports

Co-Developer ILMS 2010 Mod

#7 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

Cool! I would love to be able to run the Peugeot!

#8 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

Guys - sorry - need to make a change...  mod team needs to make some prototype adjustments and won't have them ready in time for people to work up setups, etc.

Therefore we are changing to GT at Mid-Ohio

Sorry for the change but this is for the best in the long run.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 stevie

stevie

Stephen Bailey

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

Some early observations:

- The Lola chassis would appear to be the quickest.
- The Lola-Mazda combination appears to be the quickest...by a distance. Did a 1:42.3 with full race set up but looking at the sectors, it will go under 1:42. Quickest in anything else so far is a mid 1:43 and I think that was with the Lola-Aston.
- As has been said by others, the diesels have several issues. I'm running them much stiffer and higher than the other cars but they still drag along the ground down halfway down the straights. The Peugeot seems more broken than the Audi. Ended up with a 1:44.6 as my best in the Audi or something like that. There's more time in it, but not a whole lot more.
- The Acura is the only one other car I've had dragging issues with and (I think)  it's something I could fix in the set up without it effecting the performance, but I'll let you know if not.
- I'm loving the fact I can go from feeling like things are too easy and then bam! Get a downshift slightly wrong, brake a tiny bit too late or not blip the throttle enough and you will be punished.

A couple of graphical things:
- In DX8, the windows on the closed top cars are transparent, whereas in DX9 they aren't. I only noticed this at the Le Mans race when I had to turn some things down due to a overheating graphics card (damn track...).
- Last night when Helcio entered the server in one of the Lola B1's I had a error pop up. I meant to take a picture of it because I knew I'd forget what it was by the time I woke up, but did I? :rolleyes:

More testing to do and seeing as I've got the Christmas bug late this year, I'll probably be doing a lot over the next few days! :D

EDIT: Or not, as per Bruce's post!

Edited by stevie, 30 December 2009 - 07:39 AM.

28. Stephen Bailey
Team SROL

#10 TimCollier

TimCollier

Champion Motorsports

• VOR Admins
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

View Poststevie, on Dec 30 2009, 07:37 AM, said:

Some early observations:

- The Lola chassis would appear to be the quickest.
- The Lola-Mazda combination appears to be the quickest...by a distance. Did a 1:42.3 with full race set up but looking at the sectors, it will go under 1:42. Quickest in anything else so far is a mid 1:43 and I think that was with the Lola-Aston.
- As has been said by others, the diesels have several issues. I'm running them much stiffer and higher than the other cars but they still drag along the ground down halfway down the straights. The Peugeot seems more broken than the Audi. Ended up with a 1:44.6 as my best in the Audi or something like that. There's more time in it, but not a whole lot more.
- The Acura is the only one other car I've had dragging issues with and (I think)  it's something I could fix in the set up without it effecting the performance, but I'll let you know if not.
- I'm loving the fact I can go from feeling like things are too easy and then bam! Get a downshift slightly wrong, brake a tiny bit too late or not blip the throttle enough and you will be punished.

A couple of graphical things:
- In DX8, the windows on the closed top cars are transparent, whereas in DX9 they aren't. I only noticed this at the Le Mans race when I had to turn some things down due to a overheating graphics card (damn track...).
- Last night when Helcio entered the server in one of the Lola B1's I had a error pop up. I meant to take a picture of it because I knew I'd forget what it was by the time I woke up, but did I? :rolleyes:

More testing to do and seeing as I've got the Christmas bug late this year, I'll probably be doing a lot over the next few days! :D

EDIT: Or not, as per Bruce's post!

Stephen, if you have more feedback on the prototypes, please send me a PM with them as that's what I plan to work on for the next week or more....Bruce has given the mod team some time to work on the P1's before testing them...thanks again Bruce!
Tim Collier - Champion Motorsports

Co-Developer ILMS 2010 Mod

#11 stevie

stevie

Stephen Bailey

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Just noticed a problem with the sound of the Corvette. From about 4600-4900 rpm the engine is silent both internally and externally. Apart from that it seems much improved, but that sound was really throwing me off, literally! :D
28. Stephen Bailey
Team SROL

#12 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

I believe I allowed the GTC car on the track.  Can a couple of the faster guys give it a checkout too just to make sure everything seems right?

Finally - if a few of you could create some default setups for all the GT cars - that would be awesome.  Remember - default setups should be a "pretty solid" setup - stable, and drivable at pretty much all tracks.  Not necessarily optimized (can't have 1 setup perfect for the two extremes of LeMans and MidOhio), but one that works without overheating, overreving, too much/too little downforce, balanced, etc.  I planned to do this - but am spending too much time prepping everything for S4 kickoff - this would be a big help.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Ryan Mayfield

Ryan Mayfield

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Bruce- Do you mean race the GTC car on Monday night, or just practice with it? I can do both if that's the case :)

#14 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

View PostRyan Mayfield, on Dec 30 2009, 02:11 PM, said:

Bruce- Do you mean race the GTC car on Monday night, or just practice with it? I can do both if that's the case :)

Either - if someone wants to race it Monday - that's fine.  But minimally we need to give it a few good thrashings in practice just to make sure it's running right.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Monstar

Monstar

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:19 PM

So just messing around with the GT cars on mid ohio, and I'm not able to have the same type of confidence as I had with the season 3 cars.  I think it's most likely because I am not exactly a set-up king, so I'm trying my best with what I can do, however I will say that so far I feel like the BMW has a better feel to it than the corvette out of the box essentially.
Brice Ambrecht

#16 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:55 PM

View PostMonstar, on Dec 30 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

So just messing around with the GT cars on mid ohio, and I'm not able to have the same type of confidence as I had with the season 3 cars.  I think it's most likely because I am not exactly a set-up king, so I'm trying my best with what I can do, however I will say that so far I feel like the BMW has a better feel to it than the corvette out of the box essentially.
S3 cars had too much mechanical grip, that's why you don't feel as confident with v3 of the mod - they are more realistic and you can feel how easy it is to overpower the tires.  Finding a setup that makes you comfortable will be very important.

There is no "out of the box" right now.  Default setup is not a valid setup...  Watch the forums, people will hopefully continue the trend of posting what they found working.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 GAb

GAb

• GPLVOR
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:06 PM

Bruce, would it be beneficial to have a separate moded thread to keep all submitted setups in the top threads listed by car?
Garth Buchanan

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

I'll be collecting them to incorporate into future mod release - but it's probably easier for everyone else so I'll do it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

It's so hard to get the gearing set correctly in these cars because the sound is off. They don't sound like they are revving high enough...

#20 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:00 PM

thanks for the feedback.  I do know Tim plans to redo the sounds prior to release.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links