Preseason Testing

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

Now I know what Jason meant when he went by and said "what the heck....your on one wheel!!"
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 Don Fryman

Don Fryman

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

CTD on the transition from Qualifying to Warm-up and could never get back in  :(  

Noticed there was only 2 or 3 other Vettes in the bunch, is it just me or is everyone having a hard time getting the Vette handle predictably ?

Don
"Wouldn't it be better for the human spirit and for the soul of this Nation to encourage people to accept more responsibility to care for one another, rather than leaving those tasks to paid bureaucrats?" ---Ronald Reagan

#43 john jogan

john jogan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

we wondered what happened to ya, don.  we even restarted warmup to see if you could get back in!  shame you had to miss out.  we needed your "vettespertise" on track to see if you can make that thing work!
Posted Image                     practice, fool

#44 R. Fuller

R. Fuller

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

Here are the Motec results from the race with the Ford GT. Also have data for offline for faster FordGT times (2:08) as well as the Viper (2:06.5) the Porsche (2.06.7) the Ferrari F430 (2:07). Early accidents pretty much messed up the rest of my race. Pitted early and got 4 new LM tires. Tires lasted the rest of the race but they were looking bad. Only did a gas and go on my last stop. 2:10's and 11's through most of the race. Not very fast at all.

Liked the handling of the Ford GT but just couldn't get any speed.

The Viper was fastest for me which surprised me. Still crappy through the corners but good straight line speed. Used Drews setup which had me spinning out every two feet. Man how do you drive that thing. Modified the setup but couldn't get close to others times. Must need driving lessons.

The Porsche has always been my favorite but managed mediocre times. Lots of revs but couldn't get the new heights and packers working right.

Started out withh the Ferrari. Third quickest for me. Nice sound but had trouble getting the handle on this one.

Noted the major difference in setting up the heights from the previous year. Never used packers but now it seems they're going to be needed.

Brake wear on the Ford GT was really good for 75 minute race. Fronts started at 3.3 and ended at 2.3/2.31

Rear brakes went from 3.3 and ended at 2.8/2.81.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#45 scottcalif

scottcalif

Scott Arrington

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I think me and Paul made alot of improvements on the GT40 and found some more speed out of the car.My main problem was trying to find the sweet spot with the braking.I finally tried lowering my RY axis to 30% from the original 50%.That seemed to help alot because I was having a hard time braking late into that right hander after the bridge.Had fun battling with Stephen again,couldn"t see squat with all the smoke from his tire lockups haha,made it tough to stay right on him.Very clean racing from him I just couldn"t get around him,his M3 had better acceleration than mine and alittle more top speed.I hit the wall on the last turn getting on the throttle alittle too early,not really a hard hit but my car was severely damaged from it,felt like it had a left front flat.So since I had just past the pit entrance I decided to quit rather than be a hazzard.If anyone wants to try my setup for the GT40 and see if it helps them.I Did a 2:02.0 with this right before qualifying and was up alittle over a tenth on that,so I know a 2:01.8 is possible with it or maybe even more.

Scott

Attached Files

Posted Image

#46 stevie

stevie

Stephen Bailey

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

I'm baffled by the locking up. It's a problem I've had for well over a year and I suspect you're not the only one to notice it! I suspect it's a controller setting thing. I was having bigger problems in the Hidden Valley race earlier in the year and fiddled around with my controller settings. That reduced the locking up but the car (GT1 C6.R in that race) never felt like it was slowing down quick enough. I've tried it in other mods as well but get the same feeling of the car not slowing down quickly enough. It doesn't feel like the locking up effects the car and it turns out I use the brakes less than my ERL team mate (Mr Jogan!). If anyone has any suggestions on how to stop the locking up without losing braking performance it would be much appreciated, I hate seeing all that smoke in the mirrors. :unsure:

As for the race, I was really looking forward to the potential race long scrap, it's been a while since I've had to push that hard to stay in front of someone. I was probably pushing too hard, made some little mistakes that allowed you to get back on my tail after pulling out a little gap a couple of times. I'm just pleased I can keep up at the moment! Hopefully I can stick with you quick guys when the season gets going.  B)

Edited by stevie, 09 December 2009 - 12:58 PM.

28. Stephen Bailey
Team SROL

#47 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Stephen & Scott.....what wheel setups do you guys have? I ask because up until this version of the mod I have felt that my settings were pretty good. Reading your comments and judging how bad the default setups feel for me I was wondering if I should start looking at my wheel settings. I currently use a Logitech Driving Force GT (that I really like btw).

I will d/l Scott's GT40 setup this evening to see how much it differs from the default. Have the default setups been worked on much or just haven't been worked on that much yet in the development of this version?? Just curious.

Thanks
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Rob Janca

Rob Janca

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

View Poststevie, on Dec 9 2009, 11:26 AM, said:

it's been a while since I've had to push that hard to stay in front of someone.

LOL!!!  :bicycle:  :beerchug:
EVERY DRIVER SHOULD READ THIS!
http://forums.speedg...showtopic=29154

iRMopars from CSL

PS3 Username: Mighty_mopar

Posted Image

#49 scottcalif

scottcalif

Scott Arrington

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

View Postdoval, on Dec 9 2009, 01:52 PM, said:

Stephen & Scott.....what wheel setups do you guys have? I ask because up until this version of the mod I have felt that my settings were pretty good. Reading your comments and judging how bad the default setups feel for me I was wondering if I should start looking at my wheel settings. I currently use a Logitech Driving Force GT (that I really like btw).

I will d/l Scott's GT40 setup this evening to see how much it differs from the default. Have the default setups been worked on much or just haven't been worked on that much yet in the development of this version?? Just curious.

Thanks

I"m using a g25 right now Chuck,same settings as I used with my DFP.I think were all having alittle trouble with the braking on this mod.Ive tried everything I can think of,for me I have to use more rear brake bias than Paul,somehow he can make it work with the bias set at 67.Not only do I just lock up the front with that setting I can"t turn the car as well.But then with the brake bias set more to the rear its hard to be confident trying to outbrake someone because the car wants to move around alittle under heaving braking.

Also Chuck,if you run your degree"s of rotation higher than 270 your going to have to raise your steering lock from the 17.5 that I use.Right now I"m running my degrees of rotation at 203.And I see that Drew has his steering lock at 25 which probably means his degrees of rotation is set higher than 400.

Scott
Posted Image

#50 GAb

GAb

• GPLVOR
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

I set my wheels radius to the car I'm driving and change lock per track. P cars have a smaller radios than tin toppers.

(picking a number as lock is in 'clicks' not 'feet')
radius:lock = actual steering radius in car
400:20 = 30
240:20 = 30
Just the guy running 400 will have to turn a lot more to get the same steering radius in car.

So if you choose to run a tighter lock because you run a larger wheel radius is backwards thinking. Your already planning on not using all of your wheel.. why not just turn it down a tad. It's all personal preference really. I tried all sorts of combos. I am actually trying to teach myself larger wheel radius slowly but I doubt I'll be going much higher than 340ish.

A big thing with the brakes in these cars is that some seem to have higher force than others. I take some down to 70% to fix the issue.
Garth Buchanan

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Thanks guys...i will take a look at what I have and do some tinkering.
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 tomas

tomas

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:chemistry<br />SIM racing - rFactor + SIDLM!<br />music - progressive rock<br />vinyl's<br />keyboards - synthesisers + hammonds<br />web design - Fl + Fw + Dw + PS<br />FSX<br />basketball

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:14 AM

Well guys...since a time that I leave ILMS....but now I'm back testing this new set of cars....the cars are worse that v2.65.
The image shows what happens all the time: driving as always, the car is very unstable and over-steers a LOT (with default settings). It's too hard to drive.
If in v3 GT cars physics will me similar to this cars....I will have to learn again how to drive ILMS cars.
However....I really like that the gears are semi-automatic in GT car's now.
Hope that things get fixed for S4, and...talking about bugs...I don't now why, at Lemans, smoke effects doesn't work at all.

Attached Files

Edited by tomas, 10 December 2009 - 12:14 AM.

VOR Driver, Tomas Manrique

#53 Rob Janca

Rob Janca

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:31 AM

View Posttomas, on Dec 10 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

Well guys...since a time that I leave ILMS....but now I'm back testing this new set of cars....the cars are worse that v2.65.
The image shows what happens all the time: driving as always, the car is very unstable and over-steers a LOT (with default settings). It's too hard to drive.
If in v3 GT cars physics will me similar to this cars....I will have to learn again how to drive ILMS cars.
However....I really like that the gears are semi-automatic in GT car's now.
Hope that things get fixed for S4, and...talking about bugs...I don't now why, at Lemans, smoke effects doesn't work at all.

That picture your just showing off your Driftin' Skills!  :bowdown:

But yes, the cars will be harder to drive then the past. It was made this way, before the cars had to much grip.
EVERY DRIVER SHOULD READ THIS!
http://forums.speedg...showtopic=29154

iRMopars from CSL

PS3 Username: Mighty_mopar

Posted Image

#54 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

Just curious: how come some people got LM tyres at pit stop? I didn´t notice that in my pit...
..well, I haven´t even noticed that cars are semi-auto now...
...yes, I´m getting really old...
:wheelchair:
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#55 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

View Posttomas, on Dec 10 2009, 02:14 AM, said:

(with default settings)
that's part of your problem.  I've noted before - this is still a development build and there is no default settings.  The "default" settings are basically random - they are not correct.

Also, some cars still have some issues we're working on - the Ferrari being one of them.

Finally - if your tires don't smoke at one track but do at others - I would think it's your install of the track that has an issue - such as missing the smoke file...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 tomas

tomas

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:chemistry<br />SIM racing - rFactor + SIDLM!<br />music - progressive rock<br />vinyl's<br />keyboards - synthesisers + hammonds<br />web design - Fl + Fw + Dw + PS<br />FSX<br />basketball

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

okey....I have so much work to do xD...an smoke file is missing? So, bruce, yo have to check the files of the lemans track, coz' I have downloaded the track from the "phoenix" track pack.

#57 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:12 AM

this may be an issue with the original track - i don't know
Posted Image
Posted Image

#58 tomas

tomas

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

View PostBruce Fisher, on Dec 10 2009, 12:12 PM, said:

this may be an issue with the original track

If someone could fix the smoke problems at lemans would be awesome :rolleyes:
BONI...man....i can't believe you didn't notice the changes in gears :P
I remember in GT2 cars in v2.65...when you tried gear up with full gas....was something like this: WUUUUAAAAAWAPAPAPAPPAPAPAPAPPAPAAA...WOAAAAAAAAA
HAHAHA...thank god that we have rpm limiter :P
Now is so smooth that I miss that thing :D
Anyone have a stable setup?

Edited by tomas, 10 December 2009 - 11:37 AM.

#59 TimCollier

TimCollier

Champion Motorsports

• VOR Admins
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Let me ask everyone something....

Do the GT cars feel as though they have either/both too much engine braking and/or differential power/coast?  Also, do the back end flips seems to occur on downshifts, almost like when you downshift too quickly?

I have a theory, and it's something I'll look into more over the next 24-48 hours, and I have contacted Bruce about having an update for the cars, and then we can release a 4-Class test package that will include more LMP cars than ever before.  The prototypes drive great already, in my opinion, and the GT cars are the big hold up in having a race ready mod (from the sound of things), so with the focus of the GT car drivelines, I'll research the relevant sections of the cars and see what might be a problem.

Thanks for your patience...it's testing, which isn't always fun I know, and the feedback is definitely appreciated.  All of it.
Tim Collier - Champion Motorsports

Co-Developer ILMS 2010 Mod

#60 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• VOR Open Wheel Series Admins
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

View PostTimCollier, on Dec 10 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

Let me ask everyone something....

Do the GT cars feel as though they have either/both too much engine braking and/or differential power/coast?  Also, do the back end flips seems to occur on downshifts, almost like when you downshift too quickly?

I have a theory, and it's something I'll look into more over the next 24-48 hours, and I have contacted Bruce about having an update for the cars, and then we can release a 4-Class test package that will include more LMP cars than ever before.  The prototypes drive great already, in my opinion, and the GT cars are the big hold up in having a race ready mod (from the sound of things), so with the focus of the GT car drivelines, I'll research the relevant sections of the cars and see what might be a problem.

Thanks for your patience...it's testing, which isn't always fun I know, and the feedback is definitely appreciated.  All of it.

Cool, though they better still be damn hard to drive when your done :) I dont like to drive the Meganes because they are too easy.  :beerchug:
Posted Image
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

– Bruce McLaren

Sim Racing Links