Prequalifying Rules And Details

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 VOR Race Stewards

VOR Race Stewards

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

Please review the following Pre-Qualifying Rules.  The rules page on our website will be updated accordingly.  Please let us know if you have any questions.

(Please note - we are using 46 drivers for the time being while we try to determine why a couple drivers are being dropped)

5.0 Pre-Qualifying
5.1 We will limit the grid to 46 drivers by pre-qualifying the week prior to the event.
5.2 We will use the Fast Lap Tracker as the basis for determining the top drivers to participate.  It is the drivers’ responsibility to ensure the FLT is working properly, and they must notify the league as soon as an error condition is found.
5.3 We will allow drivers to pre-qualify until Sunday night - 8pm EST.
5.4 Cut process (only followed if we exceed 48 drivers):

5.4.1 Initially we will cut any driver that is not within 3% of the average laptimes for their class.
5.4.2 We will remove an equal number of drivers from each class that has a minimum of 11 drivers in it for LMC events or 22 drivers for GTS events until we hit 44 drivers.
5.4.3 We will resume where we left off for the next race so the same class isn’t always being cut.
5.4.4 Alternate priority will be the reverse order of drivers being cut (last cut is first alternate).

5.5 Exemptions

5.5.1 In LMC - The top 3 finishers for the previous race and in the current standings are exempt and do not need to pre-qualify (cap of 5 max)
5.5.2 In GTS - the top 5 finisher for the previous race and in the current standings are exempt and do not need to pre-qualify (cap of 10 max)
5.5.3 Exempt Drivers that plan to participate in the race must still have a lap time recorded or they will not be included in the pre-qualifying process (and will not be able to race).

5.6 Replays – Each driver must maintain a copy of their fastest lap replay in case it’s requested for review.  The stewards may request replays for review and validation.  Drivers unable to provide this replay may forfeit their qualification.
5.7 Participation – Drivers that will not be participating in the current week race are still allowed to practice on the server.  However, they must notify us in advance that they will not be able to participate so they are not included in the evaluation process.
5.8 Probation – drivers on probation will automatically forfeit their pre-qualifying spot if needed for an eligible driver.

#2 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

Please note rule 5.6... each driver is responsible for collecting their own fast lap replay (starting next week - not this week since some drivers may have already turned their fastest lap).

The stewards may, at their discretion or recommendation from other drivers, ask to see some a replay of specific drivers fastest laps to ensure the lap "qualifies" (2 wheels on track at all times, etc).

Setting up your replay collection is easy:
Under 'Control' then 'Replay Fridge' turn 'Record Hot Laps' to 'On'

Remember, this will record the fastest lap for each session you join. Each time you set or re-set your PQ lap as shown on the Fast Lap Tracker you will need to go to your Replay Fridge and rename or move your PQ Hot Lap replay to ensure you have the proper lap available. If you do not rename or move the recording will get overwritten the next time you join the server and turn a lap (the game does not check to see if your current session fastest lap is faster or slower than any 'Hot Lap' already saved to replay).

The other way to do it is to turn record replay ON - this will keep all your sessions (based on your settings in the PLR file - I believe the default is last 5 sessions).  If you are required to submit a replay, you can simply use VCRMergeto "cut" out just your fastest lap.

The stewards do not want to receive full length sessions - just your fastest lap.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Bruce,

Just for clarification....if we are exempt from the previous race we simply have to record a lap on server? correct? The lap time is not relevant, correct?

Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

you are correct - we need any driver planning to participate (exempt or not) to log a laptime on the server so we know they are participating (and so my spreadsheet includes them).  If you are exempt due to past race results or the season current standings - you are automatically in the race (as long as you turn a lap on the server).

If a driver logs a laptime that is NOT planning to participate, they just need to let us know in advance so they are ignored by the calculations.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• GPLVOR
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

That all seem pretty fair actually.  

I like the bit about the top 10 getting exempt.  Was worried about having to keep an eye on the lap tracker all the time.

#6 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:25 PM

Man...this is becoming VERY professional! :P
What about giving exemption on the first 5 races to the champions and on the first 3 races for the 2 runners-up of each division on the following season ?
We don΄t have a real-world trophy (ok...the banner is nice and forever...), so that would be a nice reward for the faster ones...
...just a sugestion...
;)
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#7 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

Also note - it's top 10 for the previous race AND top 10 in current standings.  Odds are likely there will be significant overlap - but this should help the consistent points scorers that just had a bad race, etc.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

View PostBruce Fisher, on Jan 28 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

Also note - it's top 10 for the previous race AND top 10 in current standings.  Odds are likely there will be significant overlap - but this should help the consistent points scorers that just had a bad race, etc.

I like that idea.

#9 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

That's a good one Bruce....so if you get a disco or just some bad racing luck you still have some back-up if you have been consistent
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Scott Hovanec

Scott Hovanec

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

View PostVOR Race Stewards, on Jan 28 2009, 12:09 PM, said:

5.7 Participation – Drivers that will not be participating in the current week race are still allowed to practice on the server.  However, they must notify us in advance that they will not be able to participate so they are not included in the evaluation process.

Sorry about all the negative logic in this, but if I'm not participating and don't practice on the server no notice is required?
"Formula 1 for kids.  Sports cars for men" - Michele Alboreto

#11 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

Correct - if you can't attend a race for whatever reason, and can't practice (even if it's just for fun), then your name will not be in the prequalifying process and you don't need to notify us.

The only time you need to notify us is if you practice on the server (therefore recording a time) and won't be able to join us for the race.  That way your name doesn't prohibit someone else from making the race.

If you can't make a race - you are still welcome to practice with us on the server.  Just let us know and your name won't be included in the calculation process.

Hope that makes sense :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

We will be making a few minor adjustments to our prequalifying.  We're trying to maintain a balance of competitiveness and fostering new members... without alienating our existing members.

Below are the changes - we will incorporate them into the rules above
- membership is capped for now. Once our prequalifying drops back down below 50, we'll reopen it to standby drivers.  Drivers that have been accepted and approved as of today (5/12/09) are considered members and are eligible to drive.
- Standby members will be allowed to participate and practice on the server - but their times will not count.  We encourage standby members to do so - this will allow us to provide them with the correct license quickly and get to know them - plus help them get ready for racing with 46 drivers in multiple classes.
- The minimum for each class will be raised to 11 for LMC events and 21 for GTS events.
- We will keep the grid at 46 drivers, no spectators
- We will keep our exemption list but reduce it's size - Top finishers (3 - LMC; 5 - GTS) from the previous week. This provides a bonus for the top finishing drivers, and is possible for every driver to achieve.
- We will have an informal 60 minute race Sunday nights at 9pm EDT.  Any driver that did not make prequalifying, standby drivers, and even qualified drivers are eligible to participate.

Details about Sunday's race:
- why Sunday? since it's before Monday's event - I believe this will encourage more drivers to participate (a practice race the night before the real race)
- will it have stewards and officials? - No.  We'll ask for some volunteers to run the race (assuming I won't be present for all) and I will coach them on how to do it.  Our stewards committee is too busy managing our official series.  If a few volunteers want to step up and steward Sunday's events, I'll help coordinate them.
- will it count for anything?  Not initially... toying with the idea of the top non-prequalified driver from each class getting a ticket to the race Monday.  But I'm not ready for that, plus we need to see what the participation level is, etc.
- what about if we have too many drivers? then drivers that qualified for Monday's race need to step down and let the alternates and stand-by members race.
- what about if we have wreckers?  if there is a problem with a driver, the volunteer race host can notify the stewards committee and we'll look into it.  drivers found causing problems may be suspended from Sunday events or even lose their VOR license.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Paul Harwood

Paul Harwood

• Members
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:motorsports, music, astronomy, physics, politics

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

Hi all,

I am very relieved that this is being reviewed.

This is the 2nd LM race I have to sit out. I would not hang around for a 3rd. I would take my loyalty, sportsmanship and talent elsewhere.

IMHO, if the league continues to recruit drivers into an existing series, there is no room for exemptions. I must say I don't like the whole concept of any exemptions. Jenson Button or whomever wins a GP still has to qualify. Lewis Hamilton was champion last season, yet he has no exemption in qualifying.

If and when I get sponsored and paid to race, I will gladly race under any rules any league puts forward.

Presently, that is not the case.

As the rules are now, it seems that several hours have to be devoted, every day pre-qualifying is open, to keep up with the daily improving lap times. There could be a limit to pre-qualifying laps and attempts. I keep getting bumped on the last day of pre-qualifying.

Having tried the system proposed by the league, I don't like either open-ended  pre-qualifying or exemptions.

Cheers.

PH
L'audace! Toujours l'audace!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Bill Brehm

Bill Brehm

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Bruce,

With the membership capped for now shouldn't that be mentioned in the "How to Join VOR" thread?

Bill
In order to win you have to be aggressive - with your car, with the racetrack, and with the competition.   But you don't have to be stupid about it.

Carroll Smith

#15 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• GPLVOR
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

Jenson Button or whomever wins a GP still has to qualify.
Actually...they don't...but they would start at the back.

Lewis Hamilton was champion last season, yet he has no exemption in qualifying
Actually...he does...but again, he would start at the back if he failed to turn a lap in the actual qually session.

...and of course NASCAR has that top 35 in points exemption...

Life imitates art...or vice versa :P

I don't understand why suddenly it's such a problem. I don't recall anyone rallying around the drivers who have missed 'the cut' in all the previous races this season.  Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the changes...but I'm not 100% clear on one bit...

- We will keep our exemption list but reduce it's size - Top finishers (3 - LMC; 5 - GTS) from the previous week. This provides a bonus for the top finishing drivers, and is possible for every driver to achieve.

So the top guys in points, unless they finish top 3 (in LMC...5 in GTS) also have to pre-qual?

#16 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

View PostMike Bennett, on May 12 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

So the top guys in points, unless they finish top 3 (in LMC...5 in GTS) also have to pre-qual?

Exactly what I was going to ask... :P
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#17 Ionicplague

Ionicplague

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

View PostBoniPiket, on May 12 2009, 05:27 PM, said:

Exactly what I was going to ask... :P

Ditto...

Jake W.
- Jake Witcher -

"...I made a jut to the left." - Garth Buchanan

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

Yep that's pretty much what it says. I think it will get more people on the server throughout the week like it did at the beginning of the season. More people on the server = more laps turned = drivers that are used to one another come race day = a better race for all.

#19 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

View PostBill Brehm, on May 12 2009, 04:57 PM, said:

With the membership capped for now shouldn't that be mentioned in the "How to Join VOR" thread?
Yes, it will be updated as soon as I can get to it. thanks
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Butch Stone

Butch Stone

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Another suggestion not related to prequal would be to add a alternates room on ventrillo and those of us that wind up on that list could reside there until its determined if an alternate can race or not.

It help cut down on the madness during the beginning of the race cause it only takes one person to pop in and call the next driver or pass the message that entries are closed.

Just a thought.

Sim Racing Links