Castle Combe

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:08 AM

I'm about ready to give up. With ten seconds to go in qualifying, I'm coming around the last corner and froze, exactly where I'd frozen a week ago. I tried to get back online but the server was mutating and blocked me. Rather than waste my time doing 500 laps of practice (or 750 at Trenton), I'd be better off sitting around the house with a thumb up my ass.

I hope Roberto did well. Hell, I hope everyone did well. I'd been hoping to do well too.

#2 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Video making, 3D printing, movies, games, books...

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:11 AM

EFFING PEDALS!!! THEY JUST RANDOMLY DISABLE A PEDAL...

Waiting at start, holding in clutch, flag raised, shift into gear, car lunges forward! and i get disqualified!!!

Looked at recording: yup... CLUTCH WASN'T WORKING!!!!
"Last of the late brakers"
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#3 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear that your pedals which were already showing bad signs caught you out, Kayo...

Well Pepe, maybe there's a specific coordinate in that last corner that you may not cross by any means. 11 laps in and my game completely froze without resuming... It was going quite good apart from that one spin, otherwise I would have been in the fight for the top 6 that was going on.
Does my point of freezing resemble yours from qualifying, Pepe?
https://cdn.discorda...86/DSC_0020.JPG

Given how close Bruce was, I hope he didn't get caught out by that...

Edited by lalb2001, 09 May 2020 - 09:23 AM.

#4 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Video making, 3D printing, movies, games, books...

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:34 AM

View Postlalb2001, on 09 May 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

Sorry to hear that your pedals which were already showing bad signs caught you out, Kayo...

Yeah, perhaps... but i haven't tried them out as seperate input... maybe that will fix it.
"Last of the late brakers"
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#5 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:39 AM

Unfortunately not Bob! Qualified 2nd, started a conservative race not thinking to take George too fast for me, being about 0.9s faster than me in qualifying. But I was able to maintain about 3 - 4 s gap with respect B. Smpson. Around 17th lap someone spn in the chicane just in the trajectory, so I was not able to avoid the collision. end of the story.
To Clermont then
Ciao
Rob

#6 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

View PostMK3424, on 09 May 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yeah, perhaps... but i haven't tried them out as seperate input... maybe that will fix it.

Hopefully...

By the way, sorry for that incident in qualifying. I saw you late in my mirrors and just didn't know where you would go. Then, as I expected you to be on the outside because that's where the car usually is after taking t1 flat-out, you suddenly were on the right and well, I'm very glad you could get the car running again, just like I managed to do. With those 2 braking marker bords not being located too far from us, that could've ended way worse. At least I learned my lesson and chose the patch of grass on the left side to enter the track.

#7 Don Dodge

Don Dodge

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:15 AM

Had a crash in qualifying, so got to watch the rest of you for quite a while.  After the race got going, had some fun laps with Niki.  He handled being lapped better than I did, so I had to catch up every time we got lapped.  Sorry something bad happened to him later.  A finish and tenth is good for this backmarker!

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

View Postlalb2001, on 09 May 2020 - 09:40 AM, said:

By the way, sorry for that incident in qualifying. I saw you late in my mirrors and just didn't know where you would go. Then, as I expected you to be on the outside because that's where the car usually is after taking t1 flat-out, you suddenly were on the right and well, I'm very glad you could get the car running again, just like I managed to do. With those 2 braking marker bords not being located too far from us, that could've ended way worse. At least I learned my lesson and chose the patch of grass on the left side to enter the track.

That might have been me. Luckily there seemed to be no damage at all to my car. The pit out here is very difficult.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:31 AM

I had a good race starting in 3rd. I followed Baldassarri until the 9th lap when I went off at Quarry Corner and lost 2 places. Then it was just chasing Lohmar for the rest of the race trying to put pressure on him to make a mistake, but I couldn’t get close enough and he drove very steadily. With Baldassarri’s crash and Alex spinning, I moved back into 3rd.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:40 AM

Sorrry to all. I tried my hardest to stay out of the way but it wasn't good enough.  Sorry Rob I was the one that spun in front of you. I'm happy to leave this track and head to Clermont.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#11 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

Hi BobHo,

No problem that is the Race.

Ciao
Rob

#12 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 09 May 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

That might have been me. Luckily there seemed to be no damage at all to my car. The pit out here is very difficult.

Yes, I noticed when having a look at the replay as well.

#13 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

p8 in qually and i was a little disappointed - esp as i had done better.. but considering the traffic, i guess most everyone had better times before 'official' qual :P

at start (very clean) i was in the Navonne/Albrecht grouping and we were nose to tail, soon Claud slid off and maybe Lasse also (?) i was p6... had my own slide and backed into the tire barrier. i really never expected to finish - seems the norm when pipes get bent :(   so i was back 2 spots.. but Roberto's engine blowing gave me p7... chasing Lasse, he disco'd right in front of me :o  you never know, if its complete, or just a lag.. so i backed off 'just in case' he'd reappear - but he didn't so i'm back to p6 and chasing Claud and his BRM... i could only gain when he came on backmarkers and then i would fall back til i got around.. still p6 and staying w/in 3 to 5s back, and holding a similar gap to DuLima chasing me.

then as you might know, i forgot that i had changed my gearing 1 click before the race... silly man.... so with 10 laps remaining i see i might not have enough to finish!
should i pit?
i'll lose at least 1 spot if i do... NO... just ease off and .. that allows Du to get by easily .. back to p7 - now can i finish? one lap remain and i start to sputter as i cross the s/f .. one more lap.. Nilsson is coming he's p8 but i'm not sure if we're on same lap ,  so i squeeze the throttle just a bit in the places he might challenge me and then there's the checker! p7 w/ .1 gal remaining ....

can't complain .. my own fault, but happy to FINISH a race!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#14 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

Bo, I was a lap down, due to contact before the tight right-hander on L1. It took me half a lap to get out of the grass and back onto the track.  At the time, I was absolutely fuming; having looked at the replay, I'm not so much.  I was being cautious, aware of the concertina effect that was about to happen. But I don't really think there was enough room for a manoeuver like that on L1.

Both in qualifying and the race I was badly baulked by the same driver, and I saw him do it to you as well, Bo. How can people not react to blue flags?

#15 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

well i will need to address the BLUE FLAG RULE  - the rule on oAo web page says:

at first read this does not say - move over - in fact it is a gentlemen's understanding that if you are about to be lapped,
why make things more difficult to someone that is having a better race than you? HOWEVER, once you ARE lapped, any subsequent BLUE FLAGS should be obeyed and you should allow cars to get by at the earliest / safest place possible.
i do not expect you to move over at the first sign of a BF.. but if you aren't pulling away from a car that has gained on you,

you ARE expected to resign the position at the earliest, safest moment. move over for a faster car,,  that is lapping you.
you do not need to move over when doing so gives up that position.

at the moment i'm not seeing a "Penalty" listed for such driving - lets discuss it over summer break.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#16 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 03:22 PM

View Postlalb2001, on 09 May 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

Does my point of freezing resemble yours from qualifying, Pepe?

No. You're through the final corner. I froze about one-third of the way into it.

Attached Files

#17 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

I qualified 8th, with a good time for a BRM, but that put me in the middle of the grid. I was actually 2nd BRM, in a very tight classification, except for George who as usual left us all as one of the beginners.
The start was uneventful, which is something to celebrate, because the sequence of curves from the start to Quarry is quite complicated to be alone, with a group of 18 heavy cars to have the fuel tank full and cold tires, was very difficult. In Old Paddock Bend I go wide and not being able to accelerate on the grass I lose two positions, Bruce and Lasse pass me. I start to run in my rhythm and I move away from Tim who was behind me. Then Lasse spins at Camp Corner and I win a position, 7th. On lap 9 Bruce loses the car at Quarry and I move up to 6th.That when Roberto retires he becomes the 5th. From then on, I always had to drive hard, because the distance between me and Bruce was never too great, and any mistake would have meant losing the position. I was happy with my 5th place because the harvest in koins for the team was good and the car ended up in one piece.
Congratulations to the people on the podium, also to all those who were able to finish, and my commiserations to those who didn't make it.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#18 Peter Lohmar

Peter Lohmar

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

Congratulations to George for another dominating performance, and condolences to teammate Tim for having to withdraw after a couple laps. Between the 4 of us on team Huayra he probably turns the Repco at the lowest revs, so GPL’s randomizing factor can be cruel indeed. Even so, he pulled over before the “Damage” model registered so saved us having to expend some repair koins.

The night before the event Mati admonished us Just Bring the Cars Back in One Piece, so we were in full conservative mode in qualy and for the race.

During the race it was largely a matter of avoiding the carnage ahead, keeping the car under me, and driving with one eye on my mirrors, which for most of the time were filled with dark green Cooper.

Thanks to Mati for strategy feedback and to Marcos and Tim for setup help, and to Don Dodge and Bob Simpson for having the grace, after my brief trip thru the turf exiting Old Paddock, to lift a bit and let me get back on the track!

Sim Racing Links