• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

Qualifying was high standard with 4 guys in the 3m12s bracket. Looked like some guys practised a lot for this race ;) My PB was "only" good enough for P3. I might have done a better time, but got traffic...wouldn't be good enough for front row anyhow. Roy and Iestyn did a perfect quali. Also Dag and Yannick were close behind. I knew it could be hard on Lap 1 to hold them off.

Start was OK, and held on to P3. The pace was hot first laps. But Roy went off on Lap 2. Iestyn inherited the lead, and he pushed hard. I had to get everything out of myself to follow him. After 4 laps I was 1.3s behind, but overdrove too much and lost the car under braking, having too much speed.

Went straight and was launched into the air and got "killed". Cooper is a total loss. Sorry team. But I guess it was overdue...

Grats to Yannick, a fine win with great pace! Also another great result and recovery drive by Dag, and by Marcos claiming the final podium spot. Well done finishers, condolences to the retirements.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 17 May 2020 - 08:34 AM.

#2 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:08 AM

Running in a comfortable 6th I think. No issues, all was well with the world and then the engine decided to let go.

Getting pretty fed up with what to me seems a pretty random damage model at the moment. GPL isn't fun for me anymore.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#3 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:34 AM

Quite a few engines popped here; I know why mine did, but I wonder if anyone else picked up damage that set it off? Doni's started smoking before giving up.

Last time we raced here I did lots of miles in the BRM, but forgot that I picked up a podium in it due to the misfortunes of others. Didn't expect to be so fast in qualifying, but this continued a trend after finally doing a good qually lap in HIES at Bathurst (somewhere I generally struggle) 2 days ago. Leading after the first runs, I knew Rob/Roy would both likely improve, so tried to do the same and ended up 1 tenth off Roy for pole!

Added a bit more left front camber before the race (should have done this for the last Q run!) and the car felt better. Roy was unlucky to go off, I had good pace but passing would have been very tough with only T2 a real passing spot. For the first time in a long time I was able to pull a gap to Rob, who also went off (and did an 'Ed Cullen') and led for a split-second on pribluda.

I was taking it easy and driving fuel efficiently (as it looked quite tight to me) when I picked up engine damage on lap 10. I'd tried most of the old 'rough' spots on the track in practice but forgot about this last one heading down the hill at the end of S1. Yannick closed to my tail as I was 2 then 3 seconds slower with the loss of power until it let go on lap 12.

Gutted as I really should have put in an extra gallon and avoided the track edges once in the lead to bring it home :wounded1:. I noticed Yannick had also grabbed the fastest lap by 0.01 when I retired! :wallbash: Grats to all who finished!
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:21 AM

Clermont-Ferrand is ranked as one of my favourites so I did have pretty high hopes for this one.

Driving the Brabham it is the first race this season driving a car in the 'competitive four',
and just also happens to suit this circuit quite well.
And while I felt pretty good out there, there was one catch on this bumpy circuit:
my tires get hot very easily, so I had take it into account in the race.

For qualifying I went for one full stint and gradually better my times.
In the end I got the fifth time, a good 0.8 behind Dag's Lotus, but I still had the feeling I would not be too far away from the pack in front of me.
So through lap 1, I actually felt quite comfortable before the tires got temperature.
I felt I could go easily go faster than Dag, but there was no space to pass and the top-3 were pulling away.

In lap 2 I went for an audacious move at Le Belvedere trying to get through the inside, but collided with Dag, who did take the short stick in this.
Not my proudest moment.
My apologies, Dag. :(

Putting that aside, I had clean road ahead of me and thus got in pursuit of Roy, Iestyn and Robert.
Roy got it wrong at the third sector and crashed, and Robert to no avail tried to take a shortcut at La Belvedere in lap 3.
Both G8 drivers were gone in a flash, and as it turned out, made it me the fastest man on the circuit, as I got closer to Iestyn each lap.
By the time I was within a second of him, his engine gave out at Charade and prompted me into the lead.
Sorry for stealing your fastest lap :)

I could have cruised to victory but I was so much in the zone that I didn't really slow down my pace
until the finish flag, having a cozy 30 second lead.

I'm quite ecstatic about the win, though it could have been someone else's if I didn't pass by means of force.
Congratulations to every who finished on this difficult circuit.
Have a nice summer break! :)

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 16 May 2020 - 11:21 AM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

Hi all, thanks for the congratulations.

This is my first podium in oAo, in a track in which I could have had certain "advantage", giving that is a classic in Mybroga.  I have raced four times in Clermont before according to the Weekly, so I knew the track very well.  Also, in this kind of tracks, all we race comparatively slower than in shorter and "easy" ones, and this is good for my drive style (right foot braking and mandatory use of clutch).  I mean, in top speed tracks, the difference of racing without clutch is much more evident than here.  I race that way just because I enjoy crazily to do that, even if I'm aware of giving some advantages, depending the track.  And people like Carsten Theile or Joosa Riekkinen inspires me :)

Well, my plan was to lap in the 3:17's and I just could follow it. My best was 16.6 and, as I was far from the guys ahead and behind, I decided to slow down and gain safety.  All the remaining of my final position were just little mistakes (that are usually fatal here) or bad luck of the guys in front of me.

I have to say that after the huge disappointment of Castle Combe race including the protest (I never protested in 10 years of online racing) and the unavoidable decision of the marshalls, I raced this event only because it was in Clermont and because the team leader, Mati, convinced me "to do the last before the winter break".  I have to say now it was a good decision.

Enjoy Northern-Hemisphere summer!

Congrats for Yannick and Dag. You were very fast and consistent and I really couldn't do anything to fight you.

Marcos.
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 16 May 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

Quite a few engines popped here; I know why mine did, but I wonder if anyone else picked up damage that set it off? Doni's started smoking before giving up.

Last time we raced here I did lots of miles in the BRM, but forgot that I picked up a podium in it due to the misfortunes of others. Didn't expect to be so fast in qualifying, but this continued a trend after finally doing a good qually lap in HIES at Bathurst (somewhere I generally struggle) 2 days ago. Leading after the first runs, I knew Rob/Roy would both likely improve, so tried to do the same and ended up 1 tenth off Roy for pole!

Added a bit more left front camber before the race (should have done this for the last Q run!) and the car felt better. Roy was unlucky to go off, I had good pace but passing would have been very tough with only T2 a real passing spot. For the first time in a long time I was able to pull a gap to Rob, who also went off (and did an 'Ed Cullen') and led for a split-second on pribluda.

I was taking it easy and driving fuel efficiently (as it looked quite tight to me) when I picked up engine damage on lap 10. I'd tried most of the old 'rough' spots on the track in practice but forgot about this last one heading down the hill at the end of S1. Yannick closed to my tail as I was 2 then 3 seconds slower with the loss of power until it let go on lap 12.

Gutted as I really should have put in an extra gallon and avoided the track edges once in the lead to bring it home :wounded1:. I noticed Yannick had also grabbed the fastest lap by 0.01 when I retired! :wallbash: Grats to all who finished!

Hard luck Iestyn

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

I made a false start, which to be fair was my fault entirely. Taking my penalty the pitboard tells me to wait and GPL kicks me from the race while I do so.
I just wanna race

#8 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:44 AM

Grats Yannick with a fine win and Marcos with an equally fine podium. Commiserations to the DNF`ed and the unfortunates. Especially Michi who got tricked and ejected by gpl. Maybe if he waited a lap to come in..? Not sure and it looks strange , bad luck for us.

Very happy to land a 12 lap in Q. I have put in tons of laps of practice here and  coming very close to PB in Q is not something I manage very often so Q was good. A bit disappointed about the race pace though. After the nudge from Yannick I lost my rhythm a little and once it was back it seemed a bit of a stretch to catch up with Yannick so keeping position and getting it to the checkered flag became the main priority. Again I get lucky and gain a couple of positions due to attrition and the bad luck of other drivers.

Enjoy the summer break guys , see you all at Silverstone in August.

#9 mvillasante

mvillasante

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Automobilista, rF2, AC, iRacing
    And Wreckfest when I'm pissed off... :D

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

Strategy went EXCELLENT for Huayra.

I didnt' feel comfortable at all with this circuit and resulted that Marcos did feel so. Therefore, as a team leader, my bet was to let Marcos do his job in front (And way he did it), and I would be in charge of starting at the back (expecting a lap 1 disaster or so) and aiming to be the highest climber of the race (second in a row), looking for koins at the end of the season.

I hit a BRM from behind (I think Michi), sorry Michi, it was very difficult to race behind you, too much lag, the car would appear and disappear suddenly and in different places.

To sum up, great D1 race for Huayra, expecting the same from D2 guys next week, very thriving first half of the season. Hope second half treats us the same or even better!

Regards,
Mat

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

View PostMichkov, on 16 May 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

I made a false start, which to be fair was my fault entirely. Taking my penalty the pitboard tells me to wait and GPL kicks me from the race while I do so.

Penalty pit stops are very tricky. You have to stop in the precise spot the instant your board either disappears or the penalty is displayed. I believe that you are allowed less than one wheel rotation of error forward of that. It's something that everyone should practice, just in case.

But to complicate matters for this venue and the occasional other track, when go to I practice on the oAo server, I get dropped on the track and can see my pit board many car lengths ahead. So I don't know if the place to stop is the drop point or where the board appears. I'll have to test that.

So it looks like where the board appears is the right place to stop, no matter where you are dropped onto the track. Also, if you jump the start, and it's safe to do so, you can go straight to your pit stall and serve your penalty (both in an off-line race and online)
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#11 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 18 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

Thanks Bob, good info! :)

#12 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Bob. The pitboard did change from my name to "Wait Jumped start" or something akin to it. So I assumed I was good position wise.
I just wanna race

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

If the board stayed visible, then you shouldn't have had any problem with GPL booting you. But if you moved slightly forward to where the board wasn't visible, you were probably out of the box. After 30 seconds GPL boots you unless you're in your box.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#14 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,482 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 19 May 2020 - 01:17 PM

I wonder if this has anything to do with where GPL drops you in the pit lane  and where you pit board is?

I noticed at Clermont that my pit board was nowhere near where it was dropped into the pit lane to start a run.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

Sim Racing Links