Nassau

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:29 AM

well that was disappointing, started 11th, running 6th after 3-4 laps? discoed! for he few laps I did I noticed al the cars in front kept disappearing, for 2-3 seconds at the same part of the track, is that a sign that the disco is about to happen?, if so I had about 5 minutes of warning, so ends the last race of this season for me.

Regards Tim.

#2 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

View Posttimbo, on 24 November 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

for he few laps I did I noticed al the cars in front kept disappearing, for 2-3 seconds at the same part of the track, is that a sign that the disco is about to happen?
In my experience, that usually is a sign that somebody is going to disco, either you or the other guy(s). I've seen it happen both ways. I've also had it happen with no warning at all.

GPL is a cruel and mysterious mistress ....

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 24 November 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#3 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

I had done probably 100s of laps practice here - I love the track - and my PB was 25.6.  I got down to just under 27, when I fluffed up my last lap.  OK, let's pit and go again.  And what was the one thing that I had not practiced?  Where the hell is the pit entrance??!  Missed it by miles once, came round with fumes in the tank, missed it again, turned in and got beached on a tyre!  So, I started 7th on the grid. Got promoted to 5th with a couple of drop outs. Still ahead is my arch-rival (and friend) Pepe.  I'm in the Brabham, he's in the Lotus - so unless he messes up, not a chance of overtaking.  At the tight S, suddenly there is a Brabham trying to extricate itself from the rough - former leader Claudio.  I squeezed by, but within a few laps he had overtaken me again.  I watched with interest his battle with Pepe, and Clay got past him too.  So, for the final 10 (?) laps I pressed and pressed Pepe, but he held firm.  Someone else dropped out, so I ended up 4th. :)

#4 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

ALWAYS, ALWAYS practice pit-in!

I didn't find Nassau's pit entry on my first attempt, either!

Michael

#5 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:19 AM

Bad race but I finish !!!
the Cooper work team was not here  , I was on the Winkelman car
In practice , I was stucked in 28 , unable to redo 25 . The picture was so bad ( aprox 12 fps) , I must find a graphic card for the next season !

In race , raw battles with the Hondas , BRM and Eagle .  3 times out of the track . Shoks absorbers were dead . At the breaking zone after the long straight , i brake at the first yellow sign and the car goes where she wants ( awfull) .

i finish just behind Michiels BRM ( one more lap !!!!!!! ) .  Anyway , a funny race .
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#6 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

Yeah... i think i had molten Mars bars as tyres at the end!!!

Not an easy track...

But man the fighting!!!

Everybody must have made at least one mistake... based on the tyre marks...

With that said... i'm done with the BRM!!!

Likes to slide... a lot.. and it's difficult to correct it... and just when you are managing the slide.. the tyres suddenly have grip and you fling the other side!!!

Anyways... guys.. you know the deal: tomorrow the video will be up.
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will premiere every Sunday at 8pm CET

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 24 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

What a $*&%ing plonker.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.. It just goes to show GPL needs your undivided attention at all times. Was strangely off colour today and couldn't get within a second of my PB and Andrew took a very deserved pole. But then he went to sleep when the flag dropped and I had the lead by T1. We lost Bob S early on and Andrew battled back to 2nd. I thought I had everything covered and just wanted to cruise home but Andrew kept me honest and was never more than a few hundred yds behind. I thought it was going to be a dream finish to the season but a moments lack of concentration, a wheel in the sand and I found myself embedded in the bushes between the track and pitlane. I could possibly have dragged myself free but didn't want to cause further damage to the Ferrair so retired.

Thanks to everyone for a fantastic season, Thanks to Bo for organising and the TSG and stewards for their contribution. Thanks to HBR, I've learned so much this season, and I'll be knocking on Michael's door very soon about next season.

If I can offer one peice of advice.. Don't crash. I know it sounds obvious but the amount of time lost with even a minor off track excursion takes many laps to recoup the time spent in the kitty litter.

Thanks again guys, Congrats to the Podium and thanks to all who were lapped, Impecable behaviour as always..

Can't wait for next season even if I am promoted and have to learn on a diet of BRM's and Honda's

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,607 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Interesting race, with lots of traffic.  Mick Chapman kept appearing and disappearing behind me, getting by me, then falling back again.  I managed to make it to the last lap before he got me again.  :)  The Eagle did have some grass stains on it, but it finished 7th!  (for some of us, that is an accomplishment.)

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#9 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on 24 November 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

Where the hell is the pit entrance??!

It was the only mistake you made all day, my friend. But as you said, you and I have gone nose-to-tail and tail-to-nose more times than we can count. Today was the closest race of all, I'm sure. We were never apart by more than two or three seconds, and toward the end even closer than that. If we'd exchanged cars at the start, I'd have been following you all day. We both know that.

I figure that I'll always be qualifying behind the G4 and G3 drivers, so my worries are directed at my G2 competitors. There isn't an easy mark in the bunch, but in online sessions during the past week Francois was getting my serious attention with 2:25+ laps in a Cooper. A Cooper? But as in Stardust, he inexplicably couldn't bring his best game to the grid today. I'll keep watching him nonetheless. His turn is just around the corner, which is fitting for a racing game.

Right off the bat I had a 2:25.76 in qualifying, good enough for fourth place. In 5th on the grid behind me was Bob Simpson and behind him, in order, were Mick, Ronnie, and Bo. I didn't waste a microsecond thinking about trying to outdrag Bob at the start. That's a fool's errand. I'd seen Mick struggle during the week online and wondered if he might still be having car or track problems. Bo, my team leader, puts Nassau near the top of his most hated list, so he shouldn't be a factor. I knew I'd lose 4th place to Bob in the first 20 meters, so my plan then was to try to hang onto 5th for as long as I could.

The start and the first few turns were mercifully without drama. Then I saw Bob's dust at the Dolphin corner, so I was back up to 4th. When I didn't see him reappear, I guessed his departure from the track had been permanent. I dug in behind Andrew, who trailed Claudio, who trailed John, the leader. Ronnie was in my mirrors, as usual. For the next five laps he and I were turning 2:28s while Andrew and Claudio were at least 1.5 seconds better. They began to disappear. On the 7th lap Claudio went off at the end of the straight, letting Ronnie and me overtake. Now I lay 3rd with 16.5 laps to go. This isn't so bad.

It took one lap for Claudio to catch Ronnie. I saw it in Pribluda. I knew the Argentinian would be coming after me. We'd done this a couple of times at Stardust, my Lotus kicking his Brab on the straights and then watching him make me look stupid in the corners. Fight him for position? I could do that. But it wasn't worth it. Even with bicycles or skateboards he's going to be faster than I am. Fourth place was better than a DNF. Three laps later at the beginning of the straight, I let him by without a fight. There were 13 laps to go. Ronnie was four seconds in my rear. Again. It doesn't get much more basic than that.

In sight of the S/F line for his last lap John went into the weeds between the track and the entrance road to the pits. That final corner had been my worst fear in practice. In threading that last corner so as not to clip the tires on the left, to avoid the grip-of-death bushes, and to resume good acceleration, I don't think the margin of error is more than a foot. I didn't even realize that I'd inherited third overall until I'd stopped after the checkered flag. The only thing I'd been thinking about for the previous 30 minutes was that guy behind me. He simply wouldn't go away. I'm thinking of filing for a restraining order against him for next year.

Some thanks are in order: 1) to my team for being so supportive and letting me have the marvelous Lotus again; 2) to the guys who let me overtake them so selflessly and gently; and 3) to the designers of this magnificent game. This was my second podium. I enjoyed being sprayed with champagne. I think I'd like to do that again. But I suppose I'll have to wait until next year. That won't be easy, but nothing about GPL has ever been easy.  :)

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 24 November 2018 - 11:08 PM.

#10 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

After a bad start I lost 1 position falling to 10p. But I was able to catch Bo and pass him in the first lap.
After that I had Bo for a while in my mirrors but was able to keep up even if he had a tow.
The rest of the race was quiet, taking care not to overrev the HONDA (you can blow the engine just looking at the RPM gauge - Ha Ha).
I got off the track on lap 23 when I couldn't help myself to sneeze but was lucky enough to regain control and didn't crash.

Starting from 9P I finished 5P which I'm pretty proud, with my Honda being in front of all the others Honda, BRM and some other faster cars.

Yes, this is a pretty difficult track to master but great fun to race.

#11 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

glad that one is over.
did well despite the dislike.
strangely i struggled mightily here, being able only to do 2m29... over and over, not matter what i tried.
today, i changed steering ratio from 14:1 to 13:1 and qual 2m28+   really??
then in race (started p8) about 1/2 way i did a 2,27+   how? and no, i wasn't drafting.
in fact most of the race i was by myself!

other than chasing an ever pulling away Dan Down, i was 90% in practice mode. maybe responsible for my ability to finish :)

finish p6 due to retirements - happy for the result!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#12 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

I was happy about qualifying, although I could have gone a little bit faster. I also figured there'd be a lot of spins here with that tricky soft dirt along the edge of some parts of the track (which was my demise in the end).

At the flag drop, I threaded the needle of the two cars just ahead - Higdon and Navonne - and took a chance and got past Hutchinson going into Turn 1. Half way round the track, I touched the dirt at the apex of Sands Bend and inexplicably darted off track to the outside and got my rear wheel caught in a fence! End of the race and the season.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:08 AM

Okay, video is done editing....

Now it's being rendered and if no problems are to be found, it will be up in a couple of hours!

Oh and i've added a little something at the end... i hope you will all like it!

#14 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:18 AM

thank you !!!   :yahoo:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#15 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

Currently uploading!

And also trying out the premiere function for those who are interested!

Here's the link and it should be going live at 21:00 GMT+1
https://www.youtube....h?v=rSnpbDnsh20

Edited by MK3424, 25 November 2018 - 09:31 AM.

#16 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

Got lucky with John's accident. In the lead up to Nassau I decided to practice - Stardust was fun and all but I needed serious points to stave off Tames and make a run at Claudio. When Tames indicated he couldn't make it I geared up for the Ferrari. I was sort of lost in the Cooper at that point and trying my setup in the Honda and Ferrari helped change my lines in a few areas and of course made me familiar with the other cars. When I did a 23.6 with 30 gal and cold tires I knew that things were looking up. The problem is that things usually look this way and then we get to the event and I mess it all up. So I practiced a bit more and changed over to Tames' setup. I wasn't as familiar with it but both setups were well into the 22s and some simple math derived from a season's experience meant I would be in contention for pole and a low 23 would be what it would take.

I filled her up for Q, did a banker and then spun 3-4 times. That wasn't enough apparently and I then blew the engine with a shift under hard acceleration. I was down around 23.5 on my splits thinking about all the ways I'd thrown it away again but John didn't end up beating the time so it was pole finally.

In the race I waited until the flag was well down before getting going and then a little later on got wheelspin. The cherry on top was downshifting into the first bend - I don't know what I was thinking. Given I had the fastest car (and my reputation for binning it at the start) I took no chances in letting Bob go. Unfortunately in making sure there was space (and there was plenty) I put my wheels off the road. This let Claudio through and put Pepe' onto my tail. Not a great start and nothing like the 29.5 and 30.5 I'd practiced. Crossing the line after 1 lap I was over 5 s down on JH with a 38! I lost some more time to Claudio by being super cautious in every braking zone and under acceleration at places like Dolphin and PG. It took  three or four laps before I caught up to Claudio again. As was mentioned, he went off the road and at that time I started to see that I could take a second off JH if I pushed a bit more. I got the lead down from 7.5 or so to 4.4. At that point I decided to make a go of it but just as in quali I'd do three good sectors and go wide and have to get out of the throttle which meant I made no further progress. When we were firmly into lapped traffic I could see John making better moves than I ended up with and although it see-sawed a little bit he mostly got it  back up to 7 s  until towards the end when he was backing off and I was getting going to make sure he didn't steal fastest lap off me. I never did get the lap in even with better sectors than I'd done in Q, messing up my exit on the run to PG. It didn't matter in the end as John went off the road with 4 or 5 seconds in hand. I'll take it. I made a lot of errors in traffic and in the middle of the race I kept losing my bearings and  braking hard a board and a bit early in the 2nd and 3 sectors. Not sure why but it happened 6-7 times. Those sorts of things need correcting if I am to repeat.

Congrats to the finishers. Very happy for Pepe' and his podium. And to Claudio for beating me to 4th. The damage was done earlier in one of my many "comeback" performances. Great race by Dan in the Honda. Francois kept me on my toes all year and with better hardware can only go forward. In decent cars they will both win races in OAO.

I'm someone who does things by themselves for the most part. At school in the 80s-90s everything was about team work and it drove me mad. My karting experience at a team level was the same way and that made me very wary of the team aspect of OAO.  Having driven for two teams I've been forced to change my attitude. I got a lot of support and the setups in particular made a difference when I got lost in the Cooper and at Tandil earlier on in the season.  Free admission to the races can't be underestimated either. I lost a lot of time mid-season wondering whether I was practicing in vain. Not having that hanging over my head made things a lot easier.

Thanks to everyone who made OAO possible. I look forward to every race and have largely stopped following professional series since I got the bug last year. Competing against someone else, against the environment and against one's self is much more rewarding than watching some one else go through the motions.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 25 November 2018 - 12:34 PM.

#17 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:33 PM

Okay...

The video premiere function was more or less a succes!

I wish i had used it earlier in the season!

But now i can only look forward to next season,

and i'm excited!

Not to mention that i just started a race team.

#18 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:06 PM

Hey Hutch, you're a great driver, and the league has been hugely benefitted by you presence. :)

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,082 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:31 AM

Let me congratulate Honey Badger Racing for their team championship! Back to back. It's no miracle with such a great teamleader like Michael. HBR simply have the most all-round team and it was well deserved! Michael, Greg, John and Don, great job throughout the season. Great to see Don winning a well deserved prize! :)

Heartbreak for Bend Racing, and Bob Simpson, but it was a great effort by Burt and his team. They were the main challenger of HBR late season, but lost out last couple of events.

Early season we were doing well, but we had too many DNF's and too much car damages mid-season. We were on the brink of going broke, but with some luck and great performances we finally were able to overhaul Bend Racing and become vice-champions.

Many thanks to my teamies Enrique, Mick and Ronnie. It's been a great season, we had our highs, and lows, but in the end there was a great team atmosphere and it was a fitting end to the season when Ronnie clinched the vice-championship in the end.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 26 November 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#20 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:05 PM

Thank you, Robert, for your very kind words! As I was last year, I am very proud of our team. For the most part, we had to keep pace in effect as a three-man team through the first half of the season. Whenever John or I faltered, Don always stepped up to provide necessary points

Then when Greg returned to oAo at mid-season, we had more breathing room to make mistakes and suffer misfortunes. John, of course, didn't make them, but I did. And Greg was there consistently to pick up the slack.

Everyone drove with discipline, finished races, and earned coins while inflicting minimal damage to the cars. And everyone contributed well in the team forum, teaching, sharing, and learning. It was a very good situation.

And I only just realized a couple days ago that John Hammonds is Honey Badger Racing's first Championship Driver! We've come close a couple times (in D2 with Briley and Alex, and with me last season in D1, depending on how you define "close"), but John is our first champion! After a couple disappointments in the first half, John maintained a "take no prisoners" attitude throughout the second, stringing together a relentless series of wins to earn the crown. A most excellent showing.

Thank you, Robert and Burt for leading teams that gave us excellent competition to the end. You were never far away such that we could not relax, but had to approach every race with a sense of mission. I look forward to draft day and to next season!

Let's keep this GPL thing going.

Michael

Sim Racing Links