Montjuic

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:18 AM

I spent an hour or so of flailing around here yesterday and soon realized that even if you dropped my car out of an airplane, I was never going to approach Jean-Paul Beltoise's track record of 1:23.25. Even after I more or less knew my way around the track, I was still 17 seconds off his mark. How could I have become so bad again so quickly? Google must know. I typed in, "Why is Pepe so slow at Montjuic?"

The answer popped up instantly. This track --- "Jewish mountain" as translated in Catalan --- was first used by F1 in 1969. So the track files were created with that date in mind. JP and his friends weren't driving our cars; they had winged things that clearly are superior to our little autos. No, the 70% window (which I read somewhere is what you need at a minimum even to be qualifying) on GPL Rank for the Brabham is 1:40-1:42. Take heart, D2 drivers! All is not lost. Yet.  :)

#2 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Pepe should keep in mind that according to the GPLRank a lap time of 1'34 "or so would be a Median time, which would make you very competitive for the D2.

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 17 April 2018 - 02:45 AM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#3 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:10 AM

Hi, Pepe...

Here's a link to the last time that I can find where the UKGPL lads ran GP67's at Juice Mountain.

https://www.simracin...12000#event3715

It's a few years old but still relevant, I think.  No 1m23s to be found there!  :)

#4 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

Geez, if I can get below 1:40, I'll be happy.   1:46 is the best for me so far.   I think I need to figure out how to get around those last left handers quickly.  Stiffen up the right side shocks, maybe?

OK, I just did a 1:40 in practice.  I'm battling understeer in the corners.

Edited by zzbusch1, 16 April 2018 - 06:11 PM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#5 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

Keep turning left and pedal to the metal! :P

So far (10 laps) used my usual basic setup, no setup tricks for this track I'm afraid. It's another difficult track. Have raced it with mods before, but with 67s this track gets another dimension trying to go fast. Another track where there's hardly time to relax with a bending straight and a jump.

It's clear for most drivers it will be about survival/finishing the race. Very demanding track on all area's.

Depending on car/driver combo I do expect Pole in the 31s or so. Not nescessarily myself. ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 16 April 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#6 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

I'm close to finding my initial (always subject to change) line around here.  For more than half the track I'm thinking that there's little room to pass or avoid a spin with out wrecking. Getting a quick but safe run to the first tight turn is a challenge.
It Doesn’t Matter How Slow You Go, As Long As You Don’t Stop - Confucius

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

We raced here back in 2014, Just watched the replay. Briley at his very best and a lot of names who no longer race with us. :(

Pole time was 1:34.459 in D2 with a 1:34.532 fastest race lap. I'm struggling here, I did a 1:36.456 in the BRM back then.

I'm struggling to better that consistently by more than a second in a Ferrari at the moment. :(

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

Bo sent out an Email about a patch and FPS problems.  I was on the server earlier with 7-8 cars and my FPS was 16.  I have the Hi-Res version. So I deleted and downloaded the Standard version. Much better FPS.   This is just a suggestion if you have a FPS problem on the server.  I'm also faster with the standard version, but that might be because I'm getting familiar with the track.

.000001  isn't much faster, but I'll take it.   ;-)
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#9 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Because of the events of yesterday in D1 (and the unfortunate discussion it generated :wounded1: ), I think we should put this beautiful track on the blacklist

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

No worries Claudio, stuff happens. Such a fun and demanding track to drive. From my own experience the last two sectors are make or break and I can easily lose a second going up the hill with one wrong move. To my mind that is the kind of short track (90-120 sec) that we should frequent in the future even if this one drops out of the running. I'm a broken record on this but it's been a great schedule so far. If we could have the modern versions of monza and silverstone I'd be over the moon.

Andrew

#11 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:05 AM

View PostAndrew Hutchinson, on 22 April 2018 - 10:00 AM, said:

If we could have the modern versions of monza and silverstone I'd be over the moon.

If anyone touches the original Silverstone, I'll light myself up with 15 gallons of fuel in Hangar Straight while the race is in progress.    :arge:

#12 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:28 AM

I knew you might have something to say on the matter... ;)

#13 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

seriously Andrew? the modern Monza? i detest what they did a fine track, adding those horrendous chicane's ... esp just before curva grande (T1) why?!  .. i know... i know 'safety'... how many crashes were there at that point anyway? ...
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#14 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 01:35 PM

I believe that GPL is safe enough to keep running on these fantastic circuits in their original versions. Unless we live in the same neighborhood and can grab our necks if we crash between us !! :bash:

#15 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 943 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:07 PM

Sad to see Montjuich go as It's a great layout with nowhere to rest or hide for the full race distance but fully agree Claudio.

Every track deserves a 2nd chance and unfortunately Montjuich has had it's 2nd chance this season.

TTFN
John.

#16 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

I don't like the "are we there yet? are we there yet?" nature of those older circuits. Don't get me wrong, ye olde Monza is a challenge since you have to get all of the corners right to drive the straights but I kind of fall  asleep to the detriment of my lap times. It reminds me of an inverted tri-oval with too many miles between the interesting bits. I love the  drama of chicanes personally and I'm terrible on the brakes -I dunno - draw your own conclusions. The only downside to the later versions of Silverstone is with Woodcote. I feel as if they've added a lot more with the multiple complexes than they lost by neutering the Woodcote approach.

No, I'm not a purist, in fact I don't even like cars... but I do love racing.

Andrew

#17 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 943 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:15 PM

I generally feel the modern tracks are better than the older tracks which have been neutered. The standard approach of the governing bodies is "Stick a chicane in". I have always felt that the likes of Monza could have been made safer without destroying the flow of the circuit overall.

Although (IMO) effectively different tracks I like the modern Spa and Nureburgring in there own right and despite their obviously much shorter length I think they are examples of good layouts in their own right. I also have a soft spot for COTA having driven it in GTL.. I know it's disliked by many "Real" drivers but I would love to see a version of it in GPL.

TTFN
John.

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

Montjuic is a great track, unique in character. Shame it seems unreliable, but enjoyed it. Hopefully D2 has a clean run, fingers crossed. The schedule has many difficult tracks, but upcoming events should be more straightforward (hopefully) ;)

Then, after the Summerbreak, Brno 1949. :P

#19 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

The problem for Montjuich is that everyone (server and all drivers) has to have installed the fix to try and minimise the risk of a mass disco.
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#20 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 22 April 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

If anyone touches the original Silverstone, I'll light myself up with 15 gallons of fuel in Hangar Straight while the race is in progress. :arge:

What is the original Silverstone for you? The GP layout alone had eleven iterations?I'd love to have the 1991 rebuild available. Lots of fast sweepers in that one and no aero to mess up the cars running close behind..

Edited by Michkov, 22 April 2018 - 06:08 PM.

I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links