9 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Qualifying was really disappointing for me.
I tried three runs but never was I able to get even near the PB I made in the Brabham so I only started tenth.

So I vowed to really make up places at the start and I went off the line pretty well.
I passed Dag Johnson and Killer Miele before reaching Turn 1 and had the inside line. Roy in his Cooper was right next to me.
Having the inside and a car with better acceleration I also went past him post-T1.
From P10 to P7 in lap 1. Not quite as brilliant as Interlagos, but still very good.

Going to lap 2 I also checked Ed Cullen for P6 and so it was time to get up to the pack ahead of me.
Tristan Enrique and Michael in front of me.
While I managed to get behind the co-Brabham driver I had no chance to get a move done.

While Tristan and Enrique ran away I was just fighting to get in the vicinity of Michael, which wasn't easy.
He went away and fell back again a few times, but never did I put him in actual danger of losing the position.
So with that, my position remained stagnant throughout the entire race.

Didn't enjoy the Brabham very much. I felt I had trouble keeping up the consistency though the replay showed I was second-best in that behind my teammate!
I think Zeltweg isn't exactly the right track for it with the many fast turns and straights.
With that I couldn't really do much.

But I'm content with my finishing position.
I made up my poor qualifying performance and got a few points for the team after the tough break in Montjuic.
Great job Tristan with the podium! :D
And also grats to Iestyn and Robert.

Silverstone next.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 11:14 AM

Picked up a spot on the start and was right behind Dag until he rode the rails out of the last corner. Imagined I could take a spot from the Ferraris behind me but once Dag was up to pressure behind me that thought went by the wayside. Had a nice scrap with Dag for a couple of laps until he passed me and took off. By that time I was pulling 2 seconds on the guy behind me (Burt?) and loosing one on Frank in front per lap. So it was going to be one of those races after all.

All went well, had one odd spin when P2 lapped me and with two to go the engine threw out something over the T2 crest. Having 50 seconds in hand and 7/4 laps to go I hoped that I could baby the engine until the flag. Alas the motor finally cried no more crossing the finish line with one to go. Managed to coast up to T2 with the remaining speed, one more lap and I'd made it to the flag.

Edited by Michkov, 05 May 2018 - 11:15 AM.

I just wanna race

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Quali went well, very close to my BT24 PB, and good enough for Pole, since Iestyn wrecked early in quali. He ran out of time to better my lap.

Even so, before the race didn't take in account Iestyn with a Lotus. Good team strategy by Burt. Immediately knew normally pacewise I'd have no chance. Did expect Tristan to bring the fight to me, we had a hard fight last UKGPL race, both in Brabham.

Anyhow, Iestyn passed me after the start, and first few laps could hang on reasonably. But pushed a bit too much at times, and developed a bit of understeer in the right handers. Even so, it was marginal, and later in the race the balance was better. Iestyn increased the gap gradually up to 5s in the end. Happy with my drive, didn't leave too much on the table, Still had Iestyn in my sights whole race.

Grats Iestyn, well deserved win! Good job Tristan, and also Enrique and finishers. :) Commiserations to the DNF's.

Attached Files

#4 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

Good job Iestyn and grats to Robert and Tristan on the podium!

This was hard and a struggle (a hard struggle if you will). On friday night I drove a 63 lap race on Zantvordt in GELI where I was wheel to wheel with Mr. K. Mace for the whole race , not once were we more than a sec away from eachother. I came up short and lost the battle against him this time , he drove a hell of a race so no problem but that drive took a lot out of me and then it was straight on to Zeltweg with you guys today and I was just depleted mentally from the get go.

In Q I tried to get going but had a little set back in the stint where I was pushing max after a small ding with Michov I think it was and had to limp back to the pits. Went back out on a "hail mary" run in the last five minutes but couldnt improve. The race start and opening lap was fairly disasterous and when I managed to stick myself on the rail in the last turn of the opening lap I got kinda pissed off and that gave me at least some adrenalin to wake up a little. From there it was ok , not much more but managed to claw my way back to P7. All in all glad to have finished this race.

But a big lift to drive the Eagle so thanks to Bend racing for hiring me. See you guys @ Silverstone.

#5 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

I felt good, I just made a mistake with my race set up, and that's why I couldn't catch tristan, but well I was always close and waiting for any mistake from him to give me back my starting position but I didn't, and I got 4:
  Anyway, keeping me in that position with three aliens in front of me is a great achievement for me.
  and chasing more than 30 laps stuck to tristan is another great achievement and I feel very satisfied with that.
  I wanted a podium, but I couldn't. Sadly, I ran very well and it cost me one position for the small mistake I made in the T3 where the Ferrari passed me, and it cost me my 3rd place, but I learned a lot in today's race.
  on the other hand, lestyn was very fast in his lotus and although robert accelerated to give but his BT could not capture it, likewise is a great job of our teamleader
  an excellent race lestyn with the lotus, very fast and also congratulations to robert for his 2 place, obviously sad with his great performance and zero mistakes took the last step of the podium, very well bot, congratulations.
  See you in Silverstone. It's gonna be a great race.
Posted Image[img

#6 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

I agree with Yannick that the Brabham is at a disadvantage here. (Although I also recognize that that statement is kind of silly, considering that Robert took pole position in one! That's just his way.) This point was driven home to me as it became clear that I wasn't going to approach my personal best in the Ferrari, a 1:43.58. The best I managed in the Brabham was 1:44.06 -- this despite being a better driver than I was three years ago when we last ran here. All the same, no regrets about taking the little green machine. It is such a joy to drive, even if it's not the fastest thing out there.

I didn't improve upon my PB in qualifying, but was pleased at having fallen short by less than 1/10s. Sixth on the grid, headed by two Ferraris, two Lotuses, and Robert, was OK with me.

After a perfect launch, I out dragged Ed to the top of the hill to take 5th place. And that's where I finished. (How's that for anti-climactic?) Actually it was a lot more exciting than that. For almost the whole race, the gap to both Enrique and Yannick stayed between 1-3 seconds, so none of us could afford any mistakes. Even Tristan in 3rd place was still visible as a speck at the end of the main straight until the very end. For 34 laps there simply were no mistakes to take advantage of -- a fact borne out by the consistency numbers of the entire field. Pretty impressive stuff.

Good show, everyone! Good strategy by Burt, giving Iestyn a Lotus, which he brilliantly put to maximum effect. Great job by Robert keeping Iestyn as close as he did. Great job by Tristan for a fast, consistent drive to the final podium spot. Special shout out to Roy in the Cooper. Now there was a man at a disadvantage. And finally, great job by everyone for clean, consistent driving. Everyone had to work hard for everything this weekend.

Michael

#7 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

well said Michael ~ i especially noted and agree with "pretty impressive stuff"  that the consistency was there!
something D2 can aspire to :)

well done everyone.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#8 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,970 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:05 PM

Good points guys, the fights in the subtop/midfield are very close, it was a very good race in general.

PS: to the (Brabham) drivers, I take a wider/later entry at T1, to be able the get earlier and harder on the throttle. I did gain 4-5 tenths on others there in Brab. Also used slightly higher tirepressures in quali, hotlap setup. Also only using 3-4-5 gear, with Brab you can get away with it.

#9 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

I was able to use just 3-5 in the Honda.

#10 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

Come to think of it, I was also using only 3-5 as well. Thought I might do well on the consistency page too, but no :P
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

Sim Racing Links