Schottenring

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:26 AM

Is it actually possible to learn this track? I'm willing to bet no more than 25% of the starting field in either division will finish.

#2 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

I have to admit I'm spending more time studying the surrounding scenery and local fauna and flora than actually managing to put a clean lap together.

Still two weeks to go and only 50 seconds off the world record, :drive1:  The only way is up..

Don't like the look of the opening corner combinations. The start should be fun.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#3 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:20 AM

Yes, it is possible to learn. It is very fun. And I don't think it is as treacherous as other longer tracks. Tandil had more places to die than the Schottenring.
I had not turned a lap at the Schottenring till I started practicing for this race. I love the track. I think my best so far is 5:20.xx. Lots to go tho.

Eric
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:10 AM

I like the track, it's very challenging to go fast. You can wreck at any point. I'd say the biggest difficulty is the fact there are no major straights where you can relax or reset your mind. Therefore, a good focus is required, lapses will be punished. Track knowledge is king.

Finishing these sort of races is very rewarding, and John is right. So I ask all to put emphasis on a safe start. We might need a looser grid than normal to be able to zip single file. The first chicane is faster than Adelaide, but alike in a way after a short run to it. Also I hope Pole will be on the racing line/right (compared to Adelaide).

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 01 April 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:34 AM

I usually remember the notable corners at first, split the track into my own sector; For example at Tandil S1 would be from the start to the exit of the first left right left.

Everything in between comes in with practice. Granted Schottenring is complexer than Tandil, there is plenty of variety to jog the memory from what I've seen so far. Ultimately it's only about fifth the size of Targa.
I just wanna race

#6 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

If anyone (d2) is just starting out, there is a LH corner half way round the lap that is cobbled (or diff tarmac) to the outside and if you run wide it takes your right side wheels off - I  guess there is an invisible curb for an invisible sidewalk. It's slow 2nd gear, 90 or so degrees can't recall the name/location. I've hit it doing recce in both directions.

FWIW I found quick AI races were good at getting me circulating in the direction of travel. The reverse running is just to dispel large misconceptions.The AI took me from 5.50 to 5.30 in 30 mins. Not the lines I'll drive as I go forward but kept me out of the walls for long enough to lend a bit of flow to the sessions.

I'll try and find the corner name -give me three or four minutes.

Andrew

#7 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Good time, Andrew.  It's a difficult one, for sure.  Personally, when I'm learning a longer track, I restart the lap every time I crash out, in order to keep repeating the circuit.

#8 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

The place I was referring to is the first hairpin (LH) at Serpentine (I think) and not  a 90 degree corner...

I (have to) restart often.... ... .. .

Andrew

#9 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on 01 April 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

Personally, when I'm learning a longer track, I restart the lap every time I crash out, in order to keep repeating the circuit.

Arturo taught me that at Dundrod last year. I believe I went through those first three corners 300 times.  :)

#10 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 363 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

Andrew, it's the trees having a wider collision box that visually appears. Also on other parts of the track, like the very long right hand sweepers, the trees lining the track will be hit faster than you might expect. The tree on the right after this first hairpin sticks out a bit, so it's wise to take a bit wider line at the exit :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#11 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

View PostMichiel Pompert, on 01 April 2018 - 11:18 PM, said:

Andrew, it's the trees having a wider collision box that visually appears. Also on other parts of the track, like the very long right hand sweepers, the trees lining the track will be hit faster than you might expect. The tree on the right after this first hairpin sticks out a bit, so it's wise to take a bit wider line at the exit :)
I've hit at least 4 trees because of this anomaly, including one place where the tree collision box extended through a guard rail to which I was very close, but definitely not making visual contact with. I am treating all trackside trees everywhere as if they extend over the edge of the circuit.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 02 April 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#12 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

I am usually able to learn a track without hitting anything. I try to do the first session without hitting anything then return to the pit. This is what you would have to do in real life. I was able to do three laps without hitting anything at Schottenring. Fourth lap, I had a fast spin, and quit the session. Never hit anything tho.
The crashes come when I start trying to pick up speed, etc.

Eric

#13 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 716 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 02 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

A nice track map from Ozpata :) http://srmz.net/inde...420#entry132599
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#14 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

When I'm learning a new track, of any length, I usually use the long black rubber streaks that I leave before a corner, to tell me where the corners that give me trouble are. This is usually on my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. trips around the course.

Usually it's,  oh damn! that corner goes right!  Oh damn that one goes left!   :-)

Edited by zzbusch1, 02 April 2018 - 04:06 PM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#15 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

Same here ZZ. I hate when I slow drastically for the black rubber marks and there is no reason to have slowed. Schottenring has two of those. AArgh! You quickly learn to ignore them.... and hopefully you remember to ignore the correct ones :P

Eric

#16 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

The main trouble is that I'll get a section right making my braking point for the next corner useless.

How shall we deal with the pit situation round here? At least the fastlane is on racing line, which isn't a problem for D1 but D2 has potential stoppers. Further for qualy, the pit exit leads directly onto the racing line with a substantial speed difference between the car on a hot lap and the ones leaving the stalls. Thanks to the curved pits you cant see through the pitlane easily. So extra caution when leaving the pits, best have Pribluda running and a feel for what is a good gap to not stumble over each other.

Edited by Michkov, 03 April 2018 - 01:08 PM.

I just wanna race

#17 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

Good points Michi. Also as we won't have a mandatory inlap in quali, I'd say try to park it safely at Schotten after first tight right hander. Rather than to park it immediatly after s/f, since the track is so fast in the early sequences, and there's not much room to slow safely if cars are nearby. Just a suggestion.

#18 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

This is a great reason to use Pribluda if you can.

Edited by BurtAugust, 03 April 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#19 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

Havn't gotten so far as to recover a car yet. Good point Rob, totally agree.
I just wanna race

#20 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:45 AM

Safe parking after the hotlap is paramount yes. It could be right after the first chicance on the left, or indeed later on in the village. I do not use Pribluda, but will make sure I have space behind me before rubbing off any speed

On the grid, having space will help, I would also think pole on the left is the better option, the speed on entry is much lower there for the front rows so the inside line will be a preferred one, and I normally don’t enter it all the way from the right anyway ;)

Good luck preparing for the race, it’s such a rewarding drive in the country when the flow is there :D
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

Sim Racing Links