http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

No, they should follow us.

Now everything is being cancelled, we are the show! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 14 March 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#3 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 02:11 PM

I saw that this morning before our race. I like the idea. I know the Max participates in rF2 competitions, as well as Lando and other WEC drivers, etc.

It could be a big step up in recognition for sim racing. As long as it's not Electric F1 cars. That's just a video game in real life.

As Robert says,  We Are The Show!  Whether it's GPL, rF2, iRacing, Assetto Corsa, or Forza,  Sim Racing is where it's at right now.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:54 PM

as we were qualifying today, i wondered how i could 'live' stream. i think Mati was going to try to last D2 race, but i fear it would affect bandwidth/connections of oAo... then the race started and i was glad no one outside oAo would see it :P
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#5 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Video making, 3D printing, movies, games, books...

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on 14 March 2020 - 05:54 PM, said:

as we were qualifying today, i wondered how i could 'live' stream. i think Mati was going to try to last D2 race, but i fear it would affect bandwidth/connections of oAo... then the race started and i was glad no one outside oAo would see it :P

Well: the server could live stream it and with the plugin gpl director it will automatically focus on the cars closest together...

Historic F1 Esports League uses this setup to livestream their races: https://www.youtube....h?v=s1bKHu4dHv8
"Last of the late brakers"
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#6 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:26 PM

The only issue with that which I see is the Stream takes a driver slot. I know Twitch and many others are pretty foolproof but although we don't get a full grid that often I wouldn't like it to be reduced because of a not driving entrant. But yes the HIES stream works really well and if we could utilise a similar application I would be all for it.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:02 PM

View PostMK3424, on 14 March 2020 - 06:33 PM, said:

Well: the server could live stream it and with the plugin gpl director it will automatically focus on the cars closest together...

Historic F1 Esports League uses this setup to livestream their races: https://www.youtube....h?v=s1bKHu4dHv8

With rather sensitive connection we have with the server at times, I'd rather have a dedicated streamer. The less the server has to put through it's pipe the better so let's dedicate it to the race tasks.

Like John said, we use up a grid spot that way but how many times have we got 19 runners? I for one would volunteer the Targa race as a trial, before we go for a championship race.
I just wanna race

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:44 PM

the biggest obstacle is my ignorance. i mentioned it only because of the youTube broadcast and how neat it would be to share our racing with the 'outside'  -
but to take up a grid spot?  no
to know how to set it up? hold my hand step by step instructions would be needed.
summer targa as test - its possible :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#9 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:12 PM

With a dedicated streamer I there is no work do be done on your end Bruce. Setting up the server as a streamer I'd defer you to Dag.
I just wanna race

#10 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:54 AM

We can now have 20 cars on a server if the server is in Linux (i.e. those servers you see in IGOR that say 0/20 when empty), but that's a lot of effort on the server end if they don't have Linux just for one extra car!
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#11 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 11:55 AM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 16 March 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

We can now have 20 cars on a server if the server is in Linux (i.e. those servers you see in IGOR that say 0/20 when empty), but that's a lot of effort on the server end if they don't have Linux just for one extra car!

That's the first time i heard of a linux server being able to host a dedicated server...

#12 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:25 PM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 16 March 2020 - 07:54 AM, said:

Tell me more, that is an amazing development.
I just wanna race

#13 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 12:18 AM

Im not the tech guy for livestreams but it wont take more than a dedicated stream server which needs to be pretty good in terms of hardware and such , a stream client (in HIES we use wirecast if Im not mistaken) and the replay director with the pribluda hack to set up some on screen info. And it would require a spot on the grid to broadcast. I think the pribluda hack is included in the replay director download. The pribluda hack needs original pribluda installed to work properly.

So if anybodys interested in setting up a livestream Im sure we can assist as much as we can with that , it would be great to see more online gpl action on youtube. I would add that anybody can broadcast the race from anywhere , its not up to Bo to do this. So if some of the D2 guys have the machine and capacity to look into it they could livestream D1 and vice versa.

Edited by D_J, 17 March 2020 - 12:27 AM.

#14 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:56 AM

I watched the Bahrain race , it was crap , a crash fest for kids..

I agree with Robert , they should watch gpl in stead.

#15 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 23 March 2020 - 06:04 AM

I'll say I viewed it with the bar set low and expecting the carnage,
knowing this because I played the game a lot and being a keen follower of their community (and their 'standards' :P)

I enjoyed myself out there, there were a couple of good laughs
but also a couple exciting battles you do not see in normal F1. They fight in almost all corners.
Hülkenberg battled pretty much all race with Latifi, for example, and Norris had a battle for 4th with Jimmy "pls no punterino" Broadbent.
Norris was also being funny as he is on Twitch.

I'd also rather see something like this on iRacing or rF2, but I think it still was okay.

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 23 March 2020 - 06:04 AM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

Enjoyed this more... but man.. the Coloni i drove was slow on the straights!
https://www.youtube....h?v=HR9nOxTT20Q

Edited by MK3424, 23 March 2020 - 08:11 AM.

#17 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

The question to me is how much viewers we could actually attract; we'd have to promote our event in some way and would need to ensure that everything works regarding the stream...
How popular are we actually? Would we get a 100 viewers together? Would having some viewers mean that the attention of further viewers gets attracted and make the event grow or would our viewership just be too small for that?
The question after all is if the event is actually worth streaming because I personally think it's not worth the effort for just around 10 viewers.
I mean believe that a stream would have quite some potential since GPL is quite a well-recognized game amongst sim racing fans, so an event where the original GPL game is played competitively could be quite interesting to the sim racing world...

#18 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:26 AM

If we think we can get GPL to hit the mainstream, honestly, then we might need a reality check.
The best thing that could probably happen is if Jimmy Broadbent manages to get his setup to work with GPL and make a couple of videos on it.
Then I expect a bit of a boost, but nothing more.

GPL has a great reputation in the sim racing community for what it is, but I think that's it.
I have seen plenty of comments of people having great memories of it, or complaining on how outdated the game is. The latters are mostly Zoomers who underappreciated it, but I do not see it become this big anymore.

People may temporarily come back for a trip of memory lane, but I see little to no long-term commitments happen.
Because it is simply outdated to them. Whether it be graphics, FFB, incompatible sim rigs...
You name it, but they move on to the newest games. ACC, AMS2, iRacing, rF2, etc.

If it were to come back, there needs to be a brand new game that carries along what we have so far, but is 2020 spec on all regions, but fully brings on board what GPL's legacy so immense, which is the historical immersion and its difficulty.
But even then, I think that game would be quite niche, as they often prefer to drive GT3s or something. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope not.

It sounds pessimistic, but that is how I think of it. More livestreaming is certainly a fun idea, and hopefully will draw people's attention, but to be there with the four titles I mentioned above..?
Never happening.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#19 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:40 AM

We have livestreamed dozens of gpl races now. We have put in many hours in getting a stream format to work. Like hundreds of hours with many development steps taken and the most views we have on a single race video is close to 200. Actual live viewers are usually like 2 or maybe 5.

We have 43 subscribers. Hardly setting the internet on fire. ;)

But for gpl fans its hopefully enjoyable and thats the most important.

#20 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:08 AM

View PostGrandPrixYannick, on 24 March 2020 - 08:26 AM, said:

If we think we can get GPL to hit the mainstream, honestly, then we might need a reality check.
The best thing that could probably happen is if Jimmy Broadbent manages to get his setup to work with GPL and make a couple of videos on it.
Then I expect a bit of a boost, but nothing more.

I agree, would be great if GPLaps could make it work with Jimmy. But most who then will try it will be chased away by the steep learning curve, I think.

I hope also of comebacks of more previous fast GPL-ers, among Keni Blood and John Bradbury, who mentioned a couple of months ago thinking about a comeback.

Sim Racing Links