• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:04 AM

Arghh...I did start the race in the wrong lane just noticed in replay! I did wonder why Greg stayed on the inside, but in my mind the Pole was inside. I got confused since yesterday Pole was inside, and today it was outside. Really sorry, wasn't intentional to gain an advantage or so...

Race report later. Great job all!
Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#2 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:27 AM

You lapped the field, Rob. I doubt anyone will be filing a protest.  :)

This was truly a great job by all at a dangerous place. There was barely contact anywhere --- 1,178 laps altogether (including the pace) --- and certainly no catastrophic crashes. I hope the D2 race can come even remotely close to how classy all you guys are every week.

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Pepe :)

It's just I was organizing practise starts and coming up with the pacespeed, and then to screw up myself in the event! In my mind I was thinking why does Greg go single file, lol! Sorry guys, might have taken away the fun in the start...

Quali was great close to my PB with a couple of thousands.

The start/pacelap has been mentioned, I guess everyone did well but me. Took the lead and drove away from the field. Setup was pretty consistent, it was all about surviving the first 10 laps. Can't say enough about the lapped cars, very generous and predictable in general.
I had a few misunderstandings and had to check up a few times, also for spinning cars, but everyone did great to avoid contact on my screen.

It wasn't my aim to lap the whole field, it just played out like that. I had prepped well, and with my oval simracing past this is a discipline that suits me arguably even better than road course racing. Actually I did expect Greg and Michael to be close in race pace, but before the race I found a better setting  enabling me to run sub29 whole race, if needed. Yesterday was still stuck low29, with a tight condition.

Again, thanks to the lapped cars being courteous and being aware. Grats to Michael and Iestyn for podium, and well done all finishers! :)

Thanks to Bruce being open to my suggestions. Sorry to mess up the start still, in the end...it's a shame tho the grid was quite small...

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 15 September 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:14 PM

Quite a small field today.

I actually aimed to be lower on the field so I could match up the field. Get the coins where you can :)
So eigth out of ten is okay.

At the start Enrique got me and demoted me to 9th. I thought I was in last as Ed didn't make the start. Or he skipped it. I dunno.

I felt in the early laps I had more pace than Enrique and tried to get a few attempts on the S/F. I tokk a bit but eventually got him.

I had a couple of spins throughout the race which demoted me for a brief moment but overall managed to overtake the Hondas, by following drivers who were lapping them after lapping me.

Overall, I had no one to battle in the end and it was a bit of a cruise to 7th. Little special mention was that I unlapped myself from Dag's Eagle and even decreased the gap to him, but nowhere enough to catch him.

Tyres went... surprisingly well. I managed to keep the rights in the green/yellow-ish and not overheat them too much for most of the run. Laps felt, apart from the spins and yielding pretty consistent.

Just a bummer I couldnt battle the other G6. But that is how it is with a BRM on this track.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

Grats Robert , Michael and Iestyn. Well done. Commiserations to those who didnt make it if there were any.

That was very intense to sum it up. This was 2nd oval race ever , in my first I took out myself and the polesitter on lap 6 or thereabouts so needless to say not pumped with self confidence at the start today. Suprised with P6 in Q and never aimed beyond anything than just keep position and get a clean finish with some coins for the team.

First stint was good , had the pace to hang with Mr. Kovacs in front of me and that was a fun battle that was to last a while. But the traffic and the blue flags overcooked my brain and at some point it just went blank. The tires got cooked at some point as well and my pace dropped. Felt like I collapsed over the line at the end , very happy to have finished where I did and not to have caused any major accidents because it was pretty close more than once. It will be a pleasant return to road courses for the remainder of the season.

#6 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Very well done, Having just watched the replay I can't say how impressed I was with everyone, Plenty of cooperation and patience shown throughout the field.

An terrific example of how it should be done. :thumbs:

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#7 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 01:22 PM

Congrats Rob, Micheal, and Iestyn! And congrats to all the drivers! We did a good job.

That was somewhat interesting. I didn't get sleepy. And I can't think of any oval in the US other than Indy that I'd rather drive.

I did every thing I wanted to do except I didn't average less than 29.5 seconds. My "dead" setup got me to the finish with little trouble. It liked to plow into the turns and seemed a little weak in the middle but it was smooth and good exiting the bankings. It stayed the same throughout the race.

It was fun trying to keep Micheal and Iestyn behind me. I may have done it a lot longer if I could have driven exceptionally well. Once while practicing, I had been able to use Micheal's slipstream but I couldn't do it today. There was no keeping up with him once he had a little gap. I knew Iestyn was faster too but question was, can he actually pass me? He took good advantage of me when I lost a little momentum in lapped traffic. I had every intention of keeping him behind me.

Iestyn saw my only real mistake. I hit the wall exiting the last turn. It appears it altered my alignment slightly. After a little practicing I don't remember seeing any more than 2F degrees difference across my tires. I ran the last 80 laps with the outside 3 degrees hotter. I'd guess that took about 0.1 seconds off my lap times. That wouldn't have been enough to match Micheal's and Iestyn's pace but the proper alignment may have kept me a little closer.

The only other "mistake" I made was I didn't make it as difficult as I'd have liked for Rob to hit me. I got off the racing line and braked heavily but didn't think I had left him as much room as I'd have liked. It looked better in the replay than I thought I had done in the race.

I often thought through the race that this is child's play but every time I got near lapped cars, I quickly forgot that thought. You guys did a good job letting others through.

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 15 September 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

I did start the race in the wrong lane just noticed in replay!

You had me a little confused but I didn't see that it mattered. Before we started I think made it clear to Micheal and Iestyn where I was going.

Thanks guys and see you next time.

Edited by JMF, 15 September 2018 - 01:25 PM.

Greg Taber

#8 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:33 PM

That was a quite the entertaining race, at least measured by the 15 mental minutes it took to complete. After the start I was scrapping with Dag, but as the car came up to temperature I got more and more exit push. In the process of battling the car and Dag I got the rear unstuck coming of the final turn sideswiped the Eagle and spun letting DJ through who then promptly spun on its own in T1. Not sure if this was unrelated or not, I just hope our small contact didn't damaged the Eagle too much. Got my place back immediately, but still had to content with the car not getting off corners well. Especially the final corner cost me a lot of time. What would final loose me my place to Dag was the exit of T1 though as I clipped the end of the armco and spun.After getting my bearings again I set off again and seemed to catch the Eagle slowly again. As Rob past me for the first time and I had a chance to spot some lines following him which turned my pace around. I managed to close on Dag even faster and finally got by with the help of a faster Lotus. From there on it was just hitting my marks and getting the car home, since the Eagles behaviour seemed to be getting worse as the race progressed. Interesting to see our two setups working the opposite way.Well done to all remarkably clean race.

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 15 September 2018 - 11:04 AM, said:

Arghh...I did start the race in the wrong lane just noticed in replay! I did wonder why Greg stayed on the inside, but in my mind the Pole was inside. I got confused since yesterday Pole was inside, and today it was outside. Really sorry, wasn't intentional to gain an advantage or so...

Race report later. Great job all!

We could just amend the rolling start procedure that the pole sitter has the right to choose the lane.And while we are at it what did the back of the grid think of the pace lap? You guys were at the end of the string so everything that is wrong at the front gets amplified.
I just wanna race

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostMichkov, on 15 September 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

We could just amend the rolling start procedure that the pole sitter has the right to choose the lane.And while we are at it what did the back of the grid think of the pace lap? You guys were at the end of the string so everything that is wrong at the front gets amplified.

Don't think so Michi, it's easier from a standing start to just follow the car in front in staggered formation.

I now realize what happened. Yesterday testing with John I wasn't on Pole. John was on Pole after forwarding to the race as server boss (random order). But I assumed I had Pole and lead the pacelap on the inside. John, on the outside, must have been thinking: "what is he doing"? :P

Ofcourse during pre-quali I gathered Pole was on the right side. But still when the race started, with the position of the car far of the wall, I did assume I was on the inside :o

#10 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:14 AM

No worries about the contact Michi , from the rpy it didnt look like we touched but I suppose there was a tiny brush between tires there. Glad you could continue as that might have been my fault. Thats also why I spun after passing you , I was thinking "shit , was that me..?" and before I knew it I was already haflway into turn 1.

Little preperation and somewhat lacking knowlegde of ovals meant that my car basically disintergrated over the course of the race. Along with my brain it seems , at some point I was just droning out and waiting for the checkered flag. Still dizzy from going in circles.

#11 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:29 AM

I said it in post race chat and I'll say it again -- I am very impressed with everyone's performance at PIR. What the field lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. Lapped traffic behaved brilliantly. Everyone made room in good time. Everyone made smart decisions and communicated intent well. Often the lapping interrupted battles for position, yet lappees always showed the discipline to make room anyway. Sincere thanks! Apologies again to Michi for the contact I made with him on lap 40-something. My fault entirely.

Robert, as you led the pack from the inside lane, I remembered that you had earlier commented about pole position being on the inside. It wasn't until we gridded that I realized that your observation had been incorrect, but I understood completely what you were doing. It certainly wasn't an attempt to gain advantage. And in any case, your dominance in the race that followed made clear that such an advantage or disadvantage wouldn't have mattered. I'm glad Greg didn't adjust by moving to the outside, because it was unlikely that the whole field would have adjusted in the space of one pace lap. All-in-all, the start went quite well.

For me, a Q3 spot was good, only 0.001s (!) behind team mate, Greg. For the first 5-or-so laps, Greg, I, and Iestyn ran pretty closely until Iestyn wildly oversteered out of turn 3 and gave me a little breathing space. Greg opened up a little gap until his tires started going off song, signaled by little puffs of smoke from the rear tires on corner entry, then by what appeared to me to be understeer under power. By the time both I and Iestyn got past Greg, what had been a lost 3-second gap to Iestyn had been restored!

Before I took over 2nd place, two things had happened -- Robert had disappeared in 1st place with a 15-second lead, and we had already encountered our first lapped traffic. As we ticked off the laps and picked our way through traffic, I extended my lead over Iestyn to about 7 seconds by race's end.

Robert completed his lapping of the field when he lapped me on about lap 102. I exited the cockpit exhausted and a little dizzy :Oo: but happy. The little Brabham had been consistent and easy to drive all day.

Congratulations to EVERYONE for finishing this race. Congratulations to Robert for the win and Iestyn for joining us on the podium. Now we're off to what must be the polar opposite of Phoenix: Road America. Should be fun!

Michael

#12 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

well done DeeONE'rs... i'm so proud of all of you ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

Sim Racing Links