S21 Road Atlanta

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

Well, today proved a day of unwelcome extremes.

In qualifying I set a new PB, a 1:21.17, good for 4th on the grid behind Robert, Roy, and Iestyn.

Then on the start line, I did something I had never before done in my entire GPL experience -- I accidentally hit the upshift paddle and jumped the start. Just a little, but I certainly moved off the line. Before I even reached the S/F line, my pit board was telling me "PIT IN."

So as we were climbing the hill after Turn 1, I was already a little bit ahead of Iestyn (I think). But I decided that it didn't really make any sense for me to take the spot since I had to do a stop-and-go at the end of the lap. So I backed off a bit and I think I caused some chaos behind me. I'm not sure for reasons about which I will elaborate in a moment.

So I made my first ever stop-and-go, during which my pit board informed me "JUMPED START" (yeah, no shit!), then just went away. I wasted a couple more seconds not sure whether this was a stop and go penalty or a timed penalty. I gambled that it was merely a stop-and-go and returned to the race.

By about lap 5 I caught Alex or Ed. whom I punted from behind as he lost control over the Bridge Turn. Sorry about that, Alex or Ed. I know you were able to continue, but I hope it didn't damage much.

I then caught and passed Doni and set off after Enrique, some 16 seconds ahead. Gradually I reeled him in and passed on the back straight.

Then I set off after Dag, about 10 seconds ahead. I drew to within 2 seconds when he spun at Turn 2.

That was approximately on lap 41. Then on approximately lap 43 I suffered a screen freeze. That's why I'm not sure what happened to whom.

Bummer. But could be worse. I was only running 6th at the time. Others have suffered screen freezes running higher, I know. Apart from the opening two or three laps (which were pretty awful), I had a pretty good day, I think. I am interested to see what GPLRA says.

Sincere apologies to anyone whom I negatively affected. For the moment, I don't know who you are or exactly what I did. I'll see the replay soon.

See you all in Nassau.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 13 October 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:30 AM

That was a great recovery Michael! I'd never would have lapped you. Worst of luck you're having again, like last season. Really had wished/hoped for a 3 way fight for the c'ship. Sometimes GPL sucks with these screenfreezes and disco's...

Later more...

Attached Files

#3 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

Grats Rob , Roy and Iestyn! Good job.

PB in Q but still nowhere near , when the race started I thought I had a run on Greg into T2 but went off and spun instead. Fortunately I didnt hit anyone and didnt damage the car but came out dead last. After that it was mostly crap , crap and then some more crap with a little very unexpected luck at the end. I popped another valve when Michael passed me in a desperate attempt to catch him and after that I chugged around for a few laps until the car died. But in thosel laps Michael suffered his freeze so I somehow ended up in front of him. But man , what a stinker I drove today.

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

Tough track!

However got the hang of it and enjoyed it. Quali wasn't too far off my PB. Even when I got off the line decently, the inside line compromised my entry, and Roy went alongside. Had to concede towards T3 as he had the preferred line and I didn't want to force the issue. Cheeky move Roy, nicely done! After that I just had to wait for an opportunity to pass, and it came already on Lap 2. Closed up towards Fox Corner and outdragged Roy clearing him before T10 on the backstraight. Then basically drove away from the field, was a solid drive. As the track has a short front straight somehow it's mentally hard, but this race went very fast. It needs all your focus.

Grats to Roy and Iestyn. Also Greg had great pace. Looked like you guys had a heck of a race! Well done finishers. Enrique did incredibly well having a sound problem! Thanks to the lapped cars for making life easy for me. Impressed with the finishing rate. Particularly Michael was thoroughly unlucky, and Alex had an uncharacteristic early exit. Bad luck guys.

#5 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

Messy race from me, stuffed up my only good lap in Q, but would have been jumped by Roy at the start anyway, however his jumping Rob kept us close for a few laps until Rob passed him and my first mistake. Even managed to touch a barrier lightly at one point. Only shining light was fastest lap, as Rob wasn't pushing at the end.

I was also impressed that Roy and I had all of our laps on server (both Q and R) going off the track. However, it still wasn't enough to catch up to Rob's pace :P.
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#6 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

Somehow the track limits are very tight/impossible here. Even a die-hard on track racer like Doni struggled! :) To be fair I could have exploited the track more ;)

PS: Actually I was aware and thinking you might get fast lap, since at times you gained on me, Iestyn. I tried to push a bit more late race, but didn't get a clean lap in. Last lap made a mistake. Car was very consistent, but I think the setup was conservative, sacrificing handling in order to prevent bottoming out. In quali I went more agressive and it made a lot of difference obviously.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 15 October 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:03 PM

It's those rumble strips on the inside of most corners. They are all outside track limits.

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 15 October 2018 - 01:04 PM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

Congrats Rob, Roy, and Iestyn! That was a fun one.

I wish I could have got lucky and did one of my midweek ideal laps. That might have put me behind Rob. I did as well I as could hope. It's a shame Micheal screwed up before the start. I did get some great luck after T1. Somehow I could continue and I didn't lose a spot. My apologies Frank. I had to brake or I might have hit Micheal. It was good to see that the shunt didn't change things much.

I was rolling good as I caught Roy. Iestyn had me in a hurry. I never really got to think of where or how I might pass. With Iestyn all over us, all I could think of was trying not to do something stupid.

I drove well the first 2/3s. I started making more mistakes shortly after Iestyn spun behind me. The last 1/3 didn't go as well. I was pressing too much which only slowed me down. The car was good. I had a few hairy moments at the Bridge Turn but I didn't worry much about hurting the car.

Thanks guys. See you next time.
Greg Taber

Sim Racing Links