• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Albino

• Admin
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:29 AM

Guys, we need some input after the first release of the Silverstone lesson material and the upcoming silverstone event.
We're trying our best but we need something like a 'I'm there and want to learn something' from you to determine a fair ratio teacher vs students.

Another thing is if it's to much in the Silverstone lesson. I can see a lot of stuff to learn when attacking a whole track like silverstone but I'm so unsure if it's really to much ;)

Here's my reason for this approach:

I wouldn't like to learn a particular turn or learn braking only to just notice that I can't even handle a more or less simple track like Silverstone.
Would have been totally different if there would be something like a straight only for learning how to brake like in LFS.
But this is GPL and I do my best to look for tracks that seem easy and give you the advantage of learning one or two important things.
ADC FAQ
Bob Simpsons FAQ
Duisburg Ruhrort, Germany

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:22 AM

Hi Bernd,

Well I definitely intend to be there :)  I set up Teamspeak last night (albeit on a second PC as my main machine is too slow to run it with GPL) and the local test is working fine for me.

I think you have the perfect track choice with Silverstone. The two long straights are a great demonstration of the importance of corner exit speed. The circuit isn't too tough, but some of the corners are no pushover either. So, for me an excellent balanced track choice for the first session. I don't think working on the whole track it too much, given the choice of Silverstone.

Personally, for the first lesson I'm just looking for a general appraisal of my driving and  feedback on any obvious problem areas. Specifics can wait for later lessons, but I'm definitely looking for help with Abbey. That corner continues to give me trouble and I seem to find the timing very hard. Every once in a while I get it more or less right, but I want to do that more consistently.

John.

#3 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:24 AM

Hehe how to do an unregistered post in one easy step :D

Seems my login timed out just as I posted that?

#4 Mark Casey

Mark Casey

Mr. Nobody

• ADC
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 05:28 AM

Well blow me down...could swear we had TWO John Ollises for a while there hehe.
O.K. John. So...when ARE we gonna cut and run??

#5 laloha

laloha

• ADC
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 07:08 AM

Bernd,

I just happen to have silverstone coming up in the 69's in a couple of weeks.

Been working at the 67's with your setup and best I have so far is around 1:32's.

Confident braking and exit speed, same as most I expect. Never could understand how to use ReplayA as an aid to improve. Corners such as Club and Abbey seem to be my most troublesome. Might be T1 another. RA might show someone with the knowledge of interpreting the data, just where I need work and in an order from worse to well maybe ok.

Not sure I will be running 67's much other than here, since my rank of +40 after a number of years indicates, well I suck eggs really. Might change my mind after these lessons, lol.

In a 69 league I plan running the BRM69 and will be my car of choice for this event. Times have been in the 1:28's of memory serves. Should probably be in the 1:25's. I ran the Mcl at 1:27.7 but want that car for another track. We have to use different cars each week, for the next 4 weeks and feel this is my best choice of the 4 cars left.

I just ran some times at Monaco in the Bra69 with a 1:21.72pb. Just input for reference.

Hope this is something you are looking for Bernd.

I have Teamspeak .Teamspeak is up and running. Just need to test on line during a session.

Thanks and look forward to joining with you and others,

Larry

Edited by laloha, 08 April 2006 - 12:15 PM.

Larry Hansen

#6 John Ollis

John Ollis

• ADC
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

Mark Casey, on Apr 8 2006, 12:28 PM, said:

Well blow me down...could swear we had TWO John Ollises for a while there hehe.

View Post

Not a fate I would wish on anyone, especially my wife and daughter :D

#7 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:05 AM

I do intend to be there on 4/22.  I still need to get TeamSpeak up.

I think Silverstone is a good choice since it is pretty basic in terms of brake/turn/drag race to the next turn and repeat.  

I am very interested in getting my braking consistent.  This is the primary cause of my problems at this track.  One thing I am not sure I can get from the replay:

Are you applying any throttle while braking ?   I often get a lot of wiggling under-braking with this DefaultBased setup if I do NOT apply a little throttle and I am using 57% brake bias.  Its almost uncontrollable for me with the 50% setting

I have been experimenting with with different coast-side settings to cure this but I think for puposes of this lesson I would like to use learn to use the DefaultBased setup and adjust my driving.

#8 Bernd Nowak

Bernd Nowak

Albino

• Admin
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Burt, I'm sure that I apply little throttle while braking :) Sorry for this misbehavior.
ADC FAQ
Bob Simpsons FAQ
Duisburg Ruhrort, Germany

#9 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

Bernd Nowak, on Apr 10 2006, 02:31 PM, said:

Burt, I'm sure that I apply little throttle while braking :) Sorry for this misbehavior.

View Post

I will try it.  Some people seem to discourage it as unrealistic but it does have some benefit, particularly at tracks like Silverstone.  The car seems to be much more stable and you are going to be sure to have neutral throttle when you turn in, keeping the back end from stepping out.  

I have been experimenting with 45 or higher coast side ramp as I work on a Rouen setup.  The braking zone into the 2nd to last corner is a good place to test this.  It seems to be  more stable under straight-line braking when using NO throttle, than 30.  I think if any throttle is used that you are on the power side of the diff and effectively  moving the braking more to the front. as the power counteracts some of the rear wheel braking.

Sim Racing Links