On Line Practice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

I rarely see anybody practicing online. Out of curiosity, why not?

I have learned the most when I came back to GPL when I trained online against Alex and Killer. And I don't know if this works the same for you guys, but as soon as somebody joins me online my motivation goes through the roof and I usually am able to push harder and get better quicker.

So, in short, I hope to see more of you online in the near future!

cheers,

Tames

#2 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

I love online practice for all of the reasons you listed. Being on Pacific standard time I can understand why I rarely see others out and about.

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:24 PM

I want an hour of uninterrupted practice, the chances of me getting that on the server are not high with the random time left when I start to practice. That and the minor things like not being able to exit until the car stops.
I just wanna race

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

I'd like to do it more often for races I prepare for, but either the league isn't hosting a server or there's no one there, which tends to unmotivate me to get in the server and just hope someone drops in.

It would be a cool idea to hook up a few people and arrange to practice together at a date/time, get on the oAo Discord server and voice chat away in the process.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:30 PM

I always practice on the server. It's something I've done since the beginning with GPL. I've noticed that sometimes the game runs a little different on a server. It also lets me know that I have a good connection. I don't have a lot of time to practice, but when I do it's on the server.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#6 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

I do most of my training offline, mostly because I want to train in novice mode. If I'm developing a setup, then I want to know that slamming into a barrier hasn't damaged the car and I can just keep on driving until I run out of fuel.

I will try the server once or twice as race day approaches, just to test for connectivity and stability ... or as in the case of Reims, to make sure that the pit stop patch works properly. If there happen to be other cars on track and we just happen to be there at the end of qualifying, then I'm also happy to get an additional race start practice.

Michael

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:59 AM

Few seasons ago many would be online, especially on Friday-nights. That was always a lot of fun. But we also have to deal with time zones. So it will be hard to organize a "happy hour". Most often many will be online in the hours leading to the race.

Personally also don't practise that much anymore, because I don't need or want it anymore. I'm making a theoretic setup (fine)tuning from a base, or a previous version for that track. Then do some short quali sim runs. Then some more finetuning. After that doing some racefuel runs (only 5-10 laps a few times), practise some starts, and that's it. Also nowadays want to peak in the event, and experienced when I practise (too) much, I peak earlier in the week. Apart from that I have 3 online races 1 week, and none the other week, since calenders collide.

So basically I am doing the most work offline, and only little testing online.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 09 September 2019 - 08:29 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#8 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:41 AM

I tend to spend the week following the D1 race testing off line as the server is still running the previous track for the D2 race (Like Michael, in novice mode, so I can just continue testing after a crash). I do sometimes drop in if I see a team mate online just for a chat and to discuss any issues leading up to the D2 race.

I try to spend as much time on line in the week leading up to the race though but usually find myself running alone. Having said that if I do drop in it's usually the same people I find on the server.

Like ZZ I feel that the experience is different on line compared to off line. I can't quite work out how or why but it definitely feels different to me.

I spent a few evenings last week on with Pelle and Greg which definitely helped me get my gearing right in the event I was able to find a tow during the race.

Also like Michi said quite often I'll find myself with 30 minutes to spare but the server only has 7-8 minutes left and if I wait until it resets I've lost probably 15 minutes. (Can't really do anything about that I guess unless there is a way drivers can force a quick reset to avoid the wait).

I'm almost always on line on the Friday evening before the race but I guess that's because I'm a boring old fart and everyone else is out enjoying their Friday night. :)

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#9 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

Robert raises a point that I forgot. On race day, I am always on the server 1.5 hours before the server is launched for the race. That has always been very good group practice time, with the possibility of getting one good race start with a big grid. I would recommend joining for that, including D2 drivers who have trained for a week after the previous D2 race. We often have more than 10 people practicing, but we rarely if ever have as many as the server can support.

Robert also raises a good point regarding over training. It is possible to train too much and peak too early. By the time I would be ready to practice on the server, I am already beginning to trail off in my training. I might want only 15-30 minutes per evening by then.

Michael

#10 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Hey, just had a lot of fun with Pepe and Killer. Saw Andrew there also for a little while. We might be on to something :-)

Yannick, say when...

btw, I should be able to host when needed

#11 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:19 PM

When is everybody most likely to practice? Sure we are spread across half the globe, but there should be some clusters to arrange an online happy hour or two.
I just wanna race

#12 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

for me in the evening CET

#13 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Me too  , CET in the evening ( 21h00 - 24h00) .  And often all the day .
I prefer online because offline the car is a bit different ( mainly the steering) .

And it's more fun to compete !    :yahoo:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#14 Mateusz Metz

Mateusz Metz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Muay Thai

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:26 PM

I'm usually practicing around 19:00-21:00 CET (it's 14:00-16:00 EDT).

#15 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:25 AM

I like practicing online as well especially for the above mentioned reason: The handling is not as responsive and different. 99% percent of the tracks are new to me and therefore it does only make sense to go online after I spent enough time learning the track.

Sim Racing Links