• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MGL66

MGL66

Michael Lowery

• Members
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:50 AM

These past many months, all of you have offered to help with oAo operations in a variety of ways, including volunteering to Steward, paying money to help defray costs, updating web pages, etc. As I have said many times, I am very grateful to all of you for these offers. I have also said that as I learn the duties and responsibilities that come with the Commissioner's office, the help that I need will become evident. In recent weeks, I have come to understand one of the areas where I need help.

Bo was always very good at advertising oAo to the larger GPL world. He was a frequent poster to SRMZ and often recruited drivers to join oAo. My personal situation (job and family matters, I mean) combined with oAo-related duties leave me with less time to deal with the larger GPL world in the ways that I used to. For example, I used to read SRMZ every day. I read every post and was broadly familiar with all the issues. In recent months, however, I have been checking SRMZ maybe once or twice a week, and I've been reading only the posts that interest me. I don't have a deep knowledge of other leagues (oAo is the only one I compete in), and though I am aware of other drivers in the GPL world, I don't necessarily know them personally or have had contact with them.

So in the area of driver recruitment, I feel that I am not well suited to the job. Many of you are in a better position to draw drivers to oAo than I am. So I am making the request that you please do so. Many of you, of course, have always done this, but I just want to re-emphasize its importance. In recent races, both D1 and D2, we have had about 14 cars on the grid. That's not bad -- actually, all things considered in the GPL world, that's pretty good -- but obviously it could be better. Nineteen is possible, so we should always make that our goal. So I would ask that as you move within the GPL world, please always keep an eye open for talent. Always be looking for drivers who might be willing to give oAo a try. Invite them in chat. Invite them by e-mail. Reassure them that it's not as complex as it might seem, and that we will help them to succeed here. A turnover of drivers is to be expected, but we want to do everything we can to ensure full grids now and into the future.

Last week, Lasse started this thread on SRMZ. I am glad that he did. Bo used to do that periodically, but I had not done so. It's just one of those things that I could and should have done, but I simply didn't fit it into my time. And when I think of the reduced level at which I am relating to the larger GPL world, I realize that I need help in exactly this area.

So all of you, please advertise oAo and recruit drivers! It is something that everyone can do without guidance or coordination.

As always, thanks, guys.

Michael

#2 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:35 PM

I'd be most happy to promote the club, Michael.  I have numerous contacts across many, many GPL leagues.

#3 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 08:02 AM

View PostMGL66, on 22 May 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

These past many months, all of you have offered to help with oAo operations in a variety of ways, including volunteering to Steward, paying money to help defray costs, updating web pages, etc. As I have said many times, I am very grateful to all of you for these offers. I have also said that as I learn the duties and responsibilities that come with the Commissioner's office, the help that I need will become evident. In recent weeks, I have come to understand one of the areas where I need help.

Bo was always very good at advertising oAo to the larger GPL world. He was a frequent poster to SRMZ and often recruited drivers to join oAo. My personal situation (job and family matters, I mean) combined with oAo-related duties leave me with less time to deal with the larger GPL world in the ways that I used to. For example, I used to read SRMZ every day. I read every post and was broadly familiar with all the issues. In recent months, however, I have been checking SRMZ maybe once or twice a week, and I've been reading only the posts that interest me. I don't have a deep knowledge of other leagues (oAo is the only one I compete in), and though I am aware of other drivers in the GPL world, I don't necessarily know them personally or have had contact with them.

So in the area of driver recruitment, I feel that I am not well suited to the job. Many of you are in a better position to draw drivers to oAo than I am. So I am making the request that you please do so. Many of you, of course, have always done this, but I just want to re-emphasize its importance. In recent races, both D1 and D2, we have had about 14 cars on the grid. That's not bad -- actually, all things considered in the GPL world, that's pretty good -- but obviously it could be better. Nineteen is possible, so we should always make that our goal. So I would ask that as you move within the GPL world, please always keep an eye open for talent. Always be looking for drivers who might be willing to give oAo a try. Invite them in chat. Invite them by e-mail. Reassure them that it's not as complex as it might seem, and that we will help them to succeed here. A turnover of drivers is to be expected, but we want to do everything we can to ensure full grids now and into the future.

Last week, Lasse started this thread on SRMZ. I am glad that he did. Bo used to do that periodically, but I had not done so. It's just one of those things that I could and should have done, but I simply didn't fit it into my time. And when I think of the reduced level at which I am relating to the larger GPL world, I realize that I need help in exactly this area.

So all of you, please advertise oAo and recruit drivers! It is something that everyone can do without guidance or coordination.

As always, thanks, guys.

Michael

I was recruited to oAo by Bo, I believe he was following I thread I started on RSC back in the day discussing my attempts to go negative in each car around Zandvoort. I received a message from Bo encouraging me to try out oAo. I doubt I would have heard of the league if it wasn't for his personal message.

I started this thread back in Spetember 2021:

http://forums.speedg...showtopic=41783

Edited by cg7aa, 05 June 2022 - 08:03 AM.

#4 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 09:28 AM

With the club's kind permission, I should like to invite a current non-member to join us for the Targa SC event on July 09.  This individual is well known to me in another league and I can assure you, would be a credit to the OAO.  We are currently exchanging a number of PM's elsewhere on a variety of subjects.

I don't want to sound like a name-dropper here but he is, in fact, the author of Boreham.  :)

#5 MGL66

MGL66

Michael Lowery

• Members
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:53 PM

Please do invite him, Doni. We'd love to have him join us, for Targa and hopefully beyond.

Thanks!
Michael

#6 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 25 June 2022 - 07:56 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 June 2022 - 09:28 AM, said:

With the club's kind permission, I should like to invite a current non-member to join us for the Targa SC event on July 09.  This individual is well known to me in another league and I can assure you, would be a credit to the OAO.  We are currently exchanging a number of PM's elsewhere on a variety of subjects.

I don't want to sound like a name-dropper here but he is, in fact, the author of Boreham.  :)

The SC Challenge events are open to all comers. I was about to make threads at the usual places advertising the event. By all means bring your friends.
I just wanna race

#7 lalb2001

lalb2001

Lasse Albrecht

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 June 2022 - 01:43 AM

Would be fantastic, Doni! :)

Sim Racing Links