hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

gr'kids in house since Thurs evening, and no time for some practice. i wasn't even sure how much fuel to load :P
used up all 3 sh-R's and did 1 lap - slowest of 10 ~ still managed a 46+  not bad for me :)

just couldn't focus and of course w/ 3 sh-R fuel was max'd for 1 lap each time... silly me, i SHOULD have known i'd need at least 2 sh-R's ;)
top 3  Greg - Michi - Alain
then - Burt, Dan, Doni,
followed by (everyone finished 1 lap at least) Andrew BobS Don D  and last me :D
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#3 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

hmm Bo, I think I am 3rd by  something like .9 over Burt  :wiggle:
" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

correct... but other than 'pride' didn't matter - all top 6 got same +1 coin
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#5 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:51 AM

My first OAO podium :yeah:  you are right it IS about pride lol !!!!!

#6 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

It was fun.  I could not imagine how I caught you, Bo.  I held up Michi for a while because the Chaparral's mirrors are for shit.  What a track!  I only had to use reverse once, no Shift-Rs, and I was hoping for an extra coin for first Chap!  :)

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#7 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

Great fun even though I didn't practice much
Just too bad for my porsche paint...

#8 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Fantastic event. Thanks to Bo and Michi for getting us up and running.  My lap was the fourth I have completed and the eighth time I made it through sector 1 so I'm still in learning phase I. Even at that I'm amazed at how much you can do with line of sight around a place like here. Worst part for me is the straight - I braked three or four times in the middle of the straight and when the corner finally did appear I had an off.

Would have done a second lap and was 20 s up in sector 1 but went off track a bunch in 2 and blew up the engine reversing. Same as Bo I filled for two and used my shift Rs half way through  each lap. First one I didn't need to and it cost me when I went off track later on.

Very glad to seee GPL working after last race. I had massive frame rate issues and freezes at Riverside and it was weird that I even finished there. No Targa start line pile-up meant I  went asking for that extra point. At any rate I got enough to account for almost half of a new BRM which will be handy with Brno just around the corner.

Congrats to the victors and Well done Alain! You needed the coins and you got them.

See you guys,

Andrew

#9 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:48 AM

Thank you Andrew ! ASC Racing filled it's goal of making max coins in these fun races (thank you for your help Michi :yeah: )
I give it all I have in the first lap (personal best), no way I would do a second Lol !  still made a couple of mistakes, this track is hard and I spent most of last week dialing in the new g920 wheel;

Still cannot use my g27 shifter yet, I am using Fairshift, the program recognized the shifter and I assigned the buttons but still no luck; readme says to change paddles assignements to KP+ and KP- where in heck am I supposed to change these values ?

Edited by Aljones, 14 July 2018 - 02:28 PM.

#10 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:55 AM

I am so impressed with everyone who participated. You all did really well. And I can't believe how many of you went for the second lap!

Really well done, guys.

Michael

#11 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

View PostAljones, on 14 July 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Still cannot use my g27 shifter yet, I am using Fairshift, the program recognized the shifter and I assigned the buttons but still no luck; readme says to change paddles assignements to KP+ and KP- where in heck am I supposed to change theses values ?

I'm using GPLShift with the G27 on Win7 not sure if that still works with Win10 if you are using that version. But I'm can help you set it up if you want. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
I just wanna race

#12 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Michi, I am using windows 7 also, my shifter (Logitech G27) was working fine with the G27 wheel and GPLShift, now that it is paired with the Logitech G920 wheel, it works in every other game except GPL; I read that GPLShift does not support the G920, only Fairshift….

EDIT Found the problem ! In GPL menu, have to assign gear up to "+" and gear down to "-" now shifter works !  I will have to adjust as I was already using the clutch for upshift but not for downshift, with Faishift, it is mandatory or the gear will not get in... :wounded1:

Edited by Aljones, 14 July 2018 - 01:59 PM.

#13 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:47 PM

Fun race for sure.  Amazed at the job Greg and Michi did driving the big cars.  Didn't drive well myself and had to do 2 Shift-Rs on my 1st lap.  Second lap was better but a few minutes off my best.  Congrats to all finshers.

#14 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

Congrats guys!

I probably did everything I shouldn't have if I really wanted to go fast. I had a six pack of beer the night before. I didn't sleep well. I didn't practice. Nino may have driven these roads sleepy and ailing from the night before. It was still fun. I made it 20 minutes into the first lap before I bumped a wall and that was the only hit on the first lap. I bumped a wall within the first 2 minutes of the 2nd lap so I was more careless the 2nd lap. I've done so many laps here now that I might getting close to the number of times Vaccarella drove these roads. I slid nicely through one turn in the 2nd lap and I wanted to yell, "Nino!" but I just said it. Right after that I got a good laugh when I came around another turn and there was "VACCARELLA" in huge letters on the wall.

I should have practiced at least two laps during the week. It would have reminded me to tell everybody that setting your pit stall in Campofelice, the last town before the long straight, is a good way to work on your lap times. Then you can get some heat in your tires for a 1 lap run. It helped me learn sector 4 well too. I learned sector 1 long before sector 2,3, and 4. Sector 2 came next and then sector 4 after I had moved my pit stall. Everybody probably learns 1 and 2 first because it's common to abandon laps.

And had I been thinking more about this race during the week, I might have remembered to tell Don about the virtual mirrors for the GTs. http://srmz.net/inde...680

View PostAljones, on 14 July 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

My first OAO podium :yeah:  you are right it IS about pride lol !!!!!

Congrats Alain! Nice job.

View PostMGL66, on 14 July 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

I can't believe how many of you went for the second lap!

I was surprised too. And Burt looked like he might do 3! :) I went ahead and burned most of the extra 2 gallons I was carrying hoping to improve my S1 time. It wasn't enough fuel to finish that sector. If you want to set a fast lap, you need to do 2 or set your stall on or before the long straight.

View PostBurtAugust, on 14 July 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

Amazed at the job Greg and Michi did driving the big cars.

Thanks Burt. I took what I consider the 4th easiest car to drive here and the one I'd most like to improve my best lap time. Michi had a good car for this track, 3rd easiest, imo. I was amazed when I set a 34:40 with the Lola in tiny fraction of the laps it took me to do 34:55 in the Ferrari.

You surprised me on lap 1 Burt. That Porsche looked like rabbit hopping onto the road. I barely missed you.

Thanks for the fun guys.
Greg Taber

#15 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:28 AM

That was a a fun one, grats to all managing to get a time in and GT dont think I could have beaten him even without the 3 offs on my fastest lap.

My first lap was a bit ragged mostly because I had the brake bug strike early on and never really could commit to go 100% into the corners with that in the back of my mind. Also I got stuck behind Don for a km or two.
Lap 2 was better didn't really care if I crashed since I had a lap in already. Even managed to catch some air across the mountains when I had to decide if the end of a wall or the precipice would be better for the car. Unfortunately the pace of the second lap was much higher than the first and I had to stop for fuel along the way. looking at the replay all in all I'm lost 45s with those escapades. But I'm quite happy that the only Shift-R was for fuel only.

Andrew I've to say I'm impressed that I only caught you after 3/2 laps, given the MkIV is not the car one wants at Targa, well done Sir.
I just wanna race

#16 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:17 AM

Congratulations on a fine win, Greg!  I just knew that you'd be top gun here.  Lagers notwithstanding :)

A fine job by Michi to score P2!  Our thanks for being the Chief Steward.

And Alain!  WOOHOO!  Terrific result, mon ami!

All participants are worthy of a bow as just surviving here to log a lap is oh so difficult.  Good show, gys.  I'm rather impressed with Andrew's performance in the Mk4.  If anything, it's even more inappropriate than the Mk1.  He was actually ahead of me on time until late in the lap.

I had a reasonable run going without drama for about 30 minutes til some fatigue and especially thirst overcame me.  I was fading badly and had a minor spin in the last village.  Cost me about 8-9s.  A couple of hundred metres on, I brushed a wall as I exited that last village.  Groan...  Finally gaining the main straight, I could take a drink.  PHEW!  Still reeling from those errors, I took it fairly easy in the last sections leading to the flag and pulled off up the ramp at the S/F line.  One lap more than enough for me, thanks.

#17 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:46 AM

I am reading with envy the reports on the Targa race, and I say with envy because I was practicing all week, but a real-life commitment was confirmed for Saturday and I had to give up, unfortunately. For practice I was using the Targa Trainer, and as Greg says, I was leaving from Campofelice, so I could determine the right braking point on the big straight, because there I could save a lot of time.
My question would be: could we make the "Targa Challenge" a fixed race on our calendar, just as we have the "Darren McLachlan Memorial Grand Prix" or the oval race?
We could discuss the system, whether one or two laps, whether to take the best or add the two or three together, I think using the Replay Analyzer would not be too complicated.
I forgot: Congratulations to all the participants! and a big thank you to the organizers!
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#18 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Congrats Greg for this impressive time ! I watched you most of your second lap, very precise driving Sir !

Thank you Donnie for the compliment and sorry that your race was ruined by our contact at Riverside :wounded1:

How can you start from the long straight ?   I second Claudio for making Targa a fixed race, we could ask that drivers to change cars each time or maybe the fastest driver in the slowest car etc...

#19 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Not to worry about the Riverside thingie, Alain.  Just bad luck on my part.  And it's not like CanAm races have never had a T01, Lap01 shunt.  From the 1966 running at Mosport...

Attached File  66 CanAm t1 1of2.JPG   39.53K   3 downloads

Attached File  66 CanAm t1 2of2.JPG   52.16K   3 downloads

See the red dot along the fence line?  That would be my approximate location for watching the start of this.  Oh, yea...  I saw it all.  The smaller red dot in that first frame identifies Skip Scott's McLaren.  In the 2nd image, the red dot shows Skip's car at the moment of impact with an earth berm.  The marshals are wondering which way to run.  Skip received a minor injury as I recall.

#20 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostAljones, on 15 July 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

<br />
How can you start from the long straight ?
Open the track.ini and change the pitbox setting,
Look for the line
stall_0 = 71359 -27 ;gas station start 62781 8.3
The first number is the longitudinal distance from the start finish line in meters, the second the later from the tracks center line. Everything past the semicolon isn't read by GPL

You need to figure out how far along the lap you want to start and just plug the number into the file. Works for any other place on the track as well, problem is that you can materialize in a wall, nothing a shift-r cant cure.

Looking at the file the "gas station start" may even be at the start of the long straight. Try changing the 71... to the 62.... and see what happens.

&nbsp;&nbsp; I second Claudio for making Targa a fixed race, we could ask that drivers to change cars each time or maybe the fastest driver in the slowest car etc...<br />

Thirded, we had Targa in the championship one year. Bit of a 3 stage rally type event with 3 hotlaps making up the final result. Though I prefer to run the track with the GT cars with others on the track. It doesnt even need to be a points paying race, just an annual fun event would be fine. That way you can open it to the wider GPL community, seeing that we only had 11 runners, there is plenty of space.

Edited by Michkov, 15 July 2018 - 04:54 PM.

I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links