S21 - Round 2 - Interlagos

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 318 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

Excellent team result for Pist'n Broke with P2 for Roy and a more hard-fought than I liked P3 for me, just ahead of Michael! Great fun especially the opening laps for me keeping up with Roy and Rob until they got into their stride and I struggled at times to keep focused after that, had a bit of a scare in lap 8 tapping the barriers  and a few times steering out of a bigger slip angle to not risk a spin, but this puts us in a comfortable position for the D2 race and Team Championship for sure! Qually was also good with a PB of 28.8 that was nowhere near Rob's pace but where I expected to end up anyway.

I do not know exactly who ended up with the short straws, but you have my comiserations for sure...

Grats to Rob with a deserved win and untouchable speed, and Roy with also a solid run and Michael whose consistency kept me very honest throughout the race. On to the D2 event!

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 10 March 2018 - 11:47 AM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#2 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Disappointing day for 0drt.

In the Honda once again I tried to make the best of it and finished in 9th in qualifying.
One second of the others in their Ferraris and Brabhams. It's the best I can do in a car like this.

The start, however, is one many could only fantasize about. I went very well off the line, and profited no less than four places to 5th place!
I was really happy about that, but naturally that would mean these G5/G6 guys in their faster cars would look to get past this slow white-red fella.

I managed to hold on better than I expected. Enrique had a try in Turn 3 but it seems we made contact when I tried to cross him back.
Which was odd, I really assumed I kept room and I did not feeling anything of the incident myself. Checking the oAo replay it looked like warp contact.
Maybe he experienced it differently.

I let my teammate Tristan through so he could hopefully seal a 5th place. Unfortunately, the Repco engine gave up on lap 5 so I had fifth place back again.
And with Ed behind me... well, I think it would've been a question of how many laps do I keep it up.

Halfway the race I was still in 5th place. I guess he never managed to grab a chance or so, but hey, not complaining here.
Enrique fought his way back and took over the position of Ed and thus was behind me again.
Unfortunately he collected me Ferradura and took us both out.

Overall, I felt I did what I could in the Honda and wasn't disappointed with my pace.
I knew it wouldn't exactly keep up, but managing to hold my position for this long is pretty satisfying.
Hopefully I'll have more success in Tandil.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Had a great event, setting a PB in quali in my last timed lap, despite messing up sector 1 (Curva 2).

Posted Image

Rest of lap was great. :)

Race was exciting early on after a mediocre getaway. Thanks to Michiel for heads up towards Curva 1. Great job not running into me. Had to be extra cautious with Roy on the outside. Didn't want to drift to the outside entering too fast. Was a bit over-cautious maybe. Had to concede to Roy entering Curva 2, and threatened him at most exits the rest of the lap. But not enough to try a risky pass on cold tires. On lap 2 Roy made a little mistake in Curva 2, and I had just enough momentum to pass him entering Curva 3. Tight entry, and ran wide, but happily had cleared Roy. From then on never looked back and tried to find a balance between a good safe racepace and managing the engine/gearbox. Was afraid blowing up, since yesterday blew up in racetrim. My downshifting is agressive high in the revs. Also the bumps made it hard for the engine. Very happy with my own drive, and thoroughly enjoyed it! Another win for the team, at least some salvation for the team after Enrique's DNF.

Great job Roy and Michiel. Early race was real fun. Good job finishers, commiserations to the DNF's! ;)

PS: this racewin is inspired by and dedicated to Fenna Mik and Harrie Fleurke, some close ones that I lost last 2 weeks. Rust zacht.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 12 March 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#4 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

I had trouble finding my groove round the place all week long and as soon as the race gets going everything falls into place. For a second I even thought I had the wrong setup loaded. I was still wrestling with the car during Qualy, resulting in me overdriving the car and getting only a single decent lap in. So I lined up low on the grid.

At the drop of the green, seemingly half the field was asleep as the other half picked up plenty of spots on their way to the first corner. I was quite pleased with the start but lost the gained places when I spun in the final hairpin on the first lap.

From there it was follow the guy in front of you make a mistake loose him for a bit, he'd make a mistake bringing you in contact again. That way I managed my only real overtake in the race on Iestyn, but that may have been helped by a wounded Eagle.

Later I was chasing down Frank when he went wide into T5 and I went off in sympathy. Sending me back to my teammate where I pretty much stayed for the remaining half of the race.

Two or three mistakes too many, but still happy got all laps in this time.

On to Argentina
I just wanna race

#5 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Sorry Doni for making a mistake right in front of you.  Was struggling somewhat in the Honda.

#6 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

NP, Burt.  Sorry I couldn't avoid you.

#7 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

a couple of incidents with the same honda, produced that both of us, we were out of competition.
   in the beginning in the T3 after a good suction, I had a blow with yannick that sent me to the grass, but without consequences for the car, and although I lost more than 6 positions, I could continue.
  the rest of the next 10 laps was trying to recover, some positions, until I reached yannick again, a fight over the position of him, during 3 laps it became an accident because in one of the curves I slowed down a little bit late (my fault and I apologize to the honda  driver for that) I hit him in the back, leaving him and me out of the race.
  i had a bad start on my return to oAo, in adelaide I blew up the engine and here in brazil I not only broke the lotus but damaged another rider,
   I apologize again to team zero degrees for the second incident.
    apologize to my team that instead of winning coins with me, I'm just losing them.

Good life goes on and there will be more races.
Posted Image[img

#8 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:33 AM

Apologies to Yannick, and 0-DRT on behalf of Smokey Stampede Squad.

No worries Enrique. You've been thoroughly unlucky first 2 races this season. You have shown grit to recover in both races after you lost a lot of time without your fault. I just wish clean races and finishes for yourself in the first place, as for Yannick. You have proven in the past you are a solid finisher and a champion. I also often had bad luck in my first 2 seasons in oAo. A lot of frustration, I can relate to how you are feeling.

But I trust you to bounce back, no pressure though. When you have had bad luck, a good result will feel even better (I know). Just keep the faith Enrique. We're in this as a team, we win as a team and we lose as a team. My win is also for you, and I feel your pain.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 11 March 2018 - 11:34 AM.

#9 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:24 AM

Qualifying went very well for me. I set a personal best of 2:49.25, good for 4th on the grid. (Just for a reality check, Robert, on pole, driving the same car, was almost 3 seconds faster. He's just on another planet right now.) But I approached the start feeling good, knowing that I had made progress on this circuit over the last week and could drive consistently in race trim.

Then going into Curva 1 and down the hill into Curva 2, I got very confused. I heard a Honda to my left. A Honda? Where the hell did that come from? There wasn't a Honda within two rows of me. Before I entered the cockpit, I noted that there was a Ferrari, two Lotuses and a Brabham behind me. I was prepared to look and listen for them. The sound of a Honda engine momentarily broke my brain. I simply could not compute how a Honda could be there. Was I imagining it? It never appeared in my mirrors. Ultimately I decided that it must be there and that I needed to hold the outside line through Curva 2. It's a good thing I did, because the Honda was, indeed, there. The replay explained everything, of course. Still it's hard for me to believe. I've never seen such a perfect start in the Honda before. That was amazing, Yannick.

That was pretty much the only excitement I had on the day, however. Once we got into single file order, nothing of interest happened to me. I got through the opening lap without incident in the same 4th place where I started, still very much in touch with the trio ahead. Over the next several laps, things spread out in both directions and, well, that's how it ended. Until the very end, I stayed close enough to Michiel such that I would be in position to capitalize on any mistake he made. But he didn't make any. Behind me there was a little jumbling of the order, but no matter who was in that spot, the gap kept increasing until the checkered flag.

Throughout the race, I was fully aware of driving very consistently. In fact, I would say that in all my years of racing, this is the most precision I've ever achieved through a whole race. My line through the corners was spot on everywhere. I hit all my markers, apexes, and exits like clockwork. So it was a thoroughly satisfying performance, just not particularly exciting from a racing standpoint. It seemed more like an extended practice session than a race. But there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not going to complain about a satisfying day at the track!

Congratulations to the podium and all finishers.

Thanks, Pablo, for another outstanding track. I'm looking forward to Tandil : another of Pablo's creations!

Michael

#10 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostMGL66, on 12 March 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Then going into Curva 1 and down the hill into Curva 2, I got very confused. I heard a Honda to my left. A Honda? Where the hell did that come from? There wasn't a Honda within two rows of me. Before I entered the cockpit, I noted that there was a Ferrari, two Lotuses and a Brabham behind me. I was prepared to look and listen for them. The sound of a Honda engine momentarily broke my brain. I simply could not compute how a Honda could be there. Was I imagining it? It never appeared in my mirrors. Ultimately I decided that it must be there and that I needed to hold the outside line through Curva 2. It's a good thing I did, because the Honda was, indeed, there. The replay explained everything, of course. Still it's hard for me to believe. I've never seen such a perfect start in the Honda before. That was amazing, Yannick.
Haha, that part made me smile, but it also quite flattered me.

Thanks a lot, Michael :)
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

Sim Racing Links