• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hi all!

I invite you to use this thread to tell us about your ideas or about things you would like to do or try during our seasons.

-------------------------------

Lets start by giving your wish list of tracks that you would like to see included in our future seasons. These suggestions could be based on Ranks you would like to complete or improve.

Please specify the mod or mods you would like to use on each track of your list.
Richard

Posted Image

#2 craig leech

craig leech

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

i need to work on my 65 times to get them negitive,raceing wise is more fun to practice offline getting ready for race day then to just hotlaping.
this photo is what i last did in the 67 car back in 07,all raceing was in pro mode so you diddnt want to blow up motor or get hit in first corner it made you learn to race the hole distance not damaging the car  it was fun :) .

if you do any 67 raceing i say used them as no points race, 65/66/69 as points race

Attached Files

Edited by craig leech, 11 February 2010 - 12:45 AM.

#3 John Manvell

John Manvell

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

I guess I am satisfied with my Ranks, although I do from time to time concentrate on a track we are racing on to get my time lower.  I even will do other mods at same track to get lower in my Ranks.  I only do the 65, 66, 67 and 69 Rank, so if you all want to work on the other ones, that is fine with me.  Although I think all the other ones are in 67 mod, aren't they?

Whatever y'all decide I am fine with, I like to work on my Ranks when it coincides with our race schedule.  I am so busy with getting our house ready to sell, that I don't have much time for other stuff right now.  Hopefully by the fall things will settle down and I will spend more time doing the important things, like GPL!

John  :gpler:
GPL,  where the tires are skinny and the drivers are fat

#4 John Manvell

John Manvell

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

what do you guys think of doing the historic rank?

It would be these tracks, in the '67 cars.  I am not saying all these tracks, but there are some good ones for racing imho.

Adelaide 1967 1:33.290

Aintree 1955 1:47.028

Crystal Palace 0:51.472

East London 1967  1:24.528

Imola 1:33.569

Keimola 1970 1:16.728

Le Mans Sarthe 1967 3:20.666

Lime Rock Park 2002 0:54.716

Pau 1967 1:25.618

Reims 1967 1:59.702

Road Atlanta 1:16.370

#5 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion John.

Bob and I just agreed on a schedule for season #21 and we do run on a few of these tracks, just not in 67 cars. However, nothing is set in cement yet. ;)

It's certainly something to consider.
Richard

Posted Image

#6 John Manvell

John Manvell

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

View PostHondaman, on 17 April 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

Thanks for the suggestion John.

Bob and I just agreed on a schedule for season #21 and we do run on a few of these tracks, just not in 67 cars. However, nothing is set in cement yet. ;)

It's certainly something to consider.

Season 21!!  I am excited already!  Thanks for all you guys do to keep us on track  :clap: :clap: :beerchug:  

#7 Dr Tooth

Dr Tooth

• GPLVOR
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

As this season 21 is just shorttracks  <_< I am hoping for some longer tracks next season, that has some learningcurv  :weeping: and when you finaly get it right the reward is great  :D

Just my 2 cents  ;)

Urban :gpler:
Can we have everything louder than everything else!

#8 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

Come on, it's not ALL short tracks. :P

Well, I had not noticed that we had several shorter tracks this season. That's not something that I usually consider unless it's really short like Monza Jr. or Arese.

I think I would include more long tracks like Road67 or Schottenring but Bob has expressed some concerns that long tracks would tend to discourage people from coming and that it could reduce the field. He has a point, I think.

Hum... I just ran a quick search at our latest races on long tracks and here's the result.

Spa: 12 racers
Bremgarten: 9
Clermont-Ferrand: 8
Solitude:11
Nurburgring: 8

That's not too bad I guess.

What tracks would you like to race on Urban?
Richard

Posted Image

#9 Dr Tooth

Dr Tooth

• GPLVOR
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

View PostHondaman, on 13 June 2010 - 02:59 PM, said:

Come on, it's not ALL short tracks. :P

Well, I had not noticed that we had several shorter tracks this season. That's not something that I usually consider unless it's really short like Monza Jr. or Arese.

I think I would include more long tracks like Road67 or Schottenring but Bob has expressed some concerns that long tracks would tend to discourage people from coming and that it could reduce the field. He has a point, I think.

Hum... I just ran a quick search at our latest races on long tracks and here's the result.

Spa: 12 racers
Bremgarten: 9
Clermont-Ferrand: 8
Solitude:11
Nurburgring: 8

That's not too bad I guess.

What tracks would you like to race on Urban?

Some of the tracks you mentioned above are great tracks like Clermont-Ferrand, Solitude, Nurburgring, but also tracks like Bathurst (was there an online flaw?) Brno 1949, Dundrod 1950, Isle of Man (Abr.) Road 67, Watkins Glen 1948 v.2, and not forgetting the fab. Targa track that we def. have to have on the next season  :beerchug: :banana:  

Can we have everything louder than everything else!

#10 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

View PostDr Tooth, on 13 June 2010 - 07:58 PM, said:

Some of the tracks you mentioned above are great tracks like Clermont-Ferrand, Solitude, Nurburgring, but also tracks like Bathurst (was there an online flaw?) Brno 1949, Dundrod 1950, Isle of Man (Abr.) Road 67, Watkins Glen 1948 v.2, and not forgetting the fab. Targa track that we def. have to have on the next season :beerchug: :banana:

I don't think we ever tried Dunrod, Road67 or, Watkins Glen 1948. It's certainly something to consider.
Richard

Posted Image

#11 craig leech

craig leech

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

what car do we try these tracks in,69 or 65 hehe

does it matter what leanths for the long track burno65 8.642 miles porto58 4.614 miles charge70 5.004 miles

#12 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

View Postcraig leech, on 13 June 2010 - 10:17 PM, said:

what car do we try these tracks in,69 or 65 hehe

does it matter what leanths for the long track burno65 8.642 miles porto58 4.614 miles charge70 5.004 miles

The longer the track (especially if it's a new one), the higher is the risk of a low attendance. But more than the lenght, the degree of difficulty, the fun factor, the width of the track (easy to overtake or not), the online reliability and the quality of graphics are other factors to consider.
Once a good test is done, then we can judge which mods can be used on a track.

You (all of you) are welcome to test any of these tracks and report on them here with comments on each of the forementioned factors.Posted Image
Richard

Posted Image

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I like the challenge of learning long tracks, but the question is whether drivers have time to practice.

So it would be great to hear suggestions for longish tracks for next season.  Some of the very long and narrow ones could be run as a Time Trial as we did with Targa Florio, sending drivers off at one or two minute intervals.

Some other possibilities are Beal, Schottenring, Belle Isle - full circuit, Tripoli 1937 and Sachsenring.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#14 AndyI

AndyI

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:34 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 14 June 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

Yes, I like the challenge of learning long tracks, but the question is whether drivers have time to practice.

So it would be great to hear suggestions for longish tracks for next season.  Some of the very long and narrow ones could be run as a Time Trial as we did with Targa Florio, sending drivers off at one or two minute intervals.

Some other possibilities are Beal, Schottenring, Belle Isle - full circuit, Tripoli 1937 and Sachsenring.
Any or all of those are fine with me.

The super long ones I just don't have the time to learn, like Isle of Mann or Targa. So it will be a blind time trial for me.
Keep the shiny side up!

#15 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:20 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 14 June 2010 - 03:25 PM, said:

So it would be great to hear suggestions for longish tracks for next season. Some of the very long and narrow ones could be run as a Time Trial as we did with Targa Florio, sending drivers off at one or two minute intervals.

About Tripoli, I tried it yesterday and although I admit I didn't give it a real chance, I could see right away that it would be quite boring because the straights are way too long and the track is way too narrow. Not very challenging except if you consider trying to pass where there's no room a challenge.
Richard

Posted Image

#16 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I'd like to reduce our races to the Intermediate Long distance or about 45 minutes rather than 60 minutes as we do now.  If we had full fields, the longer races would be nicer and fuel strategy comes into play with long races but it gets lonely on the track sometimes.

Any opinions on this?
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#17 Hondaman

Hondaman

• Validating
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 26 April 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'd like to reduce our races to the Intermediate Long distance or about 45 minutes rather than 60 minutes as we do now.  If we had full fields, the longer races would be nicer and fuel strategy comes into play with long races but it gets lonely on the track sometimes.

Any opinions on this?

I would welcome that change.
Richard

Posted Image

#18 Mark Jones

Mark Jones

Bang Bang into the room

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Er, racing.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi.  I like that VOR races are long ones, for one thing it gives a chance to recover from incidents early on in the race (as Greg showed at pacific raceway).
If shorter races are to be implemented, perhaps it could be a car-specific thing  ie: shorter F2 races, but longer GT races.
"Fortunately, I can swim." - Alberto Ascari (1955)

#19 DrToothRacer

DrToothRacer

DrTooth

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

Yes mabie not a Dream to drive the GT cars for long :) but some shorter like the 67F2s and longer 69 F1s and CanAm71s would be great!

#20 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

I don't mind the "long" races. Prior to racing online, I ran a full Grand Prix or Can Am twice a week against the AI. So an hour doesn't seem that long to me. A lot of the time I would pause at the 1 hour mark and go piss or get something to drink. Then I'd immediately come back and finish the second hour. So my attention span is approximately 1 hour.
Greg Taber

Sim Racing Links