A Short Test

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Well, that was interesting if nothing else, Mix up with the pit slots probably as Michi suggested on the server due to the server driver grabbing a slot. Everything seemed to go well for Doni and me, Hand over after 1st stint was smooth although I spun on my 1st flying lap but didn't hit anything so only my pride was hurt. Lost track of laps run as I misunderstood what Prib was telling me due to the laps already completed by the starters so pitted a few laps earlier than I should have done which caught Doni off guard and he didn't leave until about a minute later. 2nd hand over from Doni also went great but by this time we had lost Bob and Michi so I was running alone for my 2nd session. Handed back to Doni after my allotted laps so this time he was ready for me and he completed the race..

I knew I didn't have to go out again but went out anyway as my Prib was still showing 5 laps to go just to cross the line to complete my race..

Managed to grab the fastest lap so chuffed with that.

So, an interesting exercise, I would like to think we could develop it further, quite a few lessons learned. I would like to see Olaf's "Dirtgear patch  investigated to see if it could add an extra element and replace the Pit Stop patch. Night patch worked well for me, my 1st stint was through the night.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#62 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

My SHFT-R error was entirely unforced. But, of course, I didn't think of that at the time. I liken it to making closing arguments in court trials: 1) the one you finalize in the shower that morning; 2) the one you actually make to the jury; and 3) the one you think up on the way back to your office after you've had your ass handed to you.

#63 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

As far as Pribluda goes I found it best that either leader relative position or player relative gives you your own completed laps, counting up. So that is gooŽd for keeping track of the laps done, only trouble for me is that the track is just busy enough that I couldn't always peak at it.
I just wanna race

#64 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

I'd hoped to get back in here today with a major report but it's dragging on.  As well as an analysis of the Pit Stop Patch, I'm looking at how the Night Patch functioned.  I'm trying to cover all the bases.

Overall impression as to how things shook out?  Positive!  Yes, we had some glitches but I didn't expect it to be fault-free.  I'll look to address those in the coming days.  Right now, it's log off.  Thunder storms just outside my window!

Back soon!

#65 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

Blue skies now!  :)

So...  Was this a roaring success?  An utter failure?  Showed some promise but...  Too complicated?  In truth, perhaps all of these.

Let me again offer thanks to John, Michi and Pepe for participating.  Freeing up time in the middle of Summer isn't easy.  As well, my thanks to Bo for use of the server and being so accommodating.

Thanks to Michi for uploading his replay cap.  I used it along with my own plus the server cap giving me fully three replays for reference.

First, the Night Patch.  Comparing cockpit views for all four us across the entire spread of time from start of practice to replay shutdown after the checker indicated that we all saw the same thing at the same time.  I took notes after the race from all three replay sources and the cycle of daylight-to-dusk-to-midnight-to-dawn-to-noon was at identical times for all.  As a further test just moments ago, I struck off the patch in GEM and ran both the server cap and mine to see the affect.  Sunny from start to finish.  Conclusion: the patch shading is not embedded in the replay data.

Now to the major item on our plate.  The Pit Stop Patch(v1.00)and how it could be used to extend typical race distances by doubling-up the lap count across two drivers who ultimately combine their lap counts.  Bo set the server at 24 laps as per my request.  Ideally, the full race distance would be split between two drivers on a team with counts of 24 & 22 laps for the Driver & Co-Driver, respectively, for a total of 46.  As noted previously, the Co-Driver's lap count must never meet the server setting lest the race be terminated prematurely.  As it turned out, the Coopers managed 43 laps at the checker split 24 & 19 between Doni & John.  A little mis-read of Pribluda lead John to pit early on his first stint.  He mentions that above.  Note: He could have 'repaired' that by going more than the planned laps in his 2nd stint.  Something to keep in mind in future.  Lap assignments are not always fixed in stone.

The first glitch...  Pit stall placements.  On joining the server, I was dismayed to find that our planned pit stall locations were anything but what I intended.  Was this because we joined in a hap-hazard manner?  I had wished Pepe and Michi to go first but in the chatroom, I neglected to make this point.  John was first on the server followed by me, Pepe and lastly, Michi.  As written, the first to join the server should have been on the front row of pit stalls on the left.  I saw John on the right side of the front row.  ???  I was placed on the left side of the 2nd row with Pepe joining on my immediate right.  Michi was set back a row on his own to the left of the pairing.  This should not have happened by all I know of laying out a pit stall arrangement let alone a grid.  (For quite some years now, I've laid out the grids for the OAO with respect to ultimate placement, depth spacing and lateral position.  Never had a problem with it.  When necessary, I'll address a troublesome pit stall arrangement...Birmingham SuperPrix comes to mind...and haven't had an issue.)  Why the left slot of the front row was left vacant, I do not know.  Michi mentioned that he thinks it has something to do with the server being assigned that hole.  Is this something that you've found in writing '.lp' files, Michi?  Any tips on this from you would be most welcome.  I have an idea as to how to avoid this in the track.ini file but that's for another day.  I don't want this to happen again as I think it essential for team mates to be closely associated in pit lane.

The pit stops and hand-off.  For the Cooper Team, it went just fine except for me being surprised by John's early call to the pits.  Believing I had some time on my hands before John dropped into the pits for the exchange, I was riding along with Michi.  After a time, I struck the 'V' key to switch drivers and found myself in the pits as per normal.  Then...  '???  MUMMA MIA!  That's John parked up ahead!'  it took me a moment for all this to sink in and get in gear.  All told, as observed later from the replay cap, I didn't move off for a good 35s after John stopped.  Minor communication error.  Other than this and the lap shortage, I think that the Coopers ran off right to the script.

So sorry to see that things went sour for Team Brabham.  Poor Pepe.  A technical glitch that scuppered your chances even before we started.  Groan...  Freakin' Windows!  I noted from the in-race replay that you initially parked short of your stall placard but then moved up alongside me.  You must have had your placard vanish.  Without the patch available, raising your arm would do nothing, of course, but the fact that you appeared to hit your mark square on kept you in the race for quite some minutes.  (This is a known feature of GPL and one which I've used in the past in long races where my vision gives out and I must stop for a rest before the race concludes.  I distinctly recall the OAO race from Westwood a couple of seasons back when my eyes were killing me and, as I recall, made two extended pit stops to rest the eyeballs.  i was parked for minutes at a time and wan't kicked.)  Without the patch, you didn't get refueled.  I guess that it was about the time you realized this that you reset and found yourself on the track proper.  LOL!  As mentioned above, you really could have stayed in the race but...  I suppose that it could be said of Pepe that if he didn't have bad luck, he'd have none at all.

I'm pretty sure that in carefully scoping Michi's Brabham that he just simply missed his stall.  I have over 60 screen shots for reference of the practice/race giving me details on stall initial locations and where each of us stopped to activate the patch.  Those two must match within a very small tolerance.  Patch activation in your stall involves: approaching your placard slowly til it disappears then raising your arm and holding it til the placard reappears and starts to flash.  The time lapse between arm raise and the commencing of flashing may be as long as two seconds.  If the placard doesn't start to flash after three seconds, it's possible that you've overshot the tolerance.  Reverse a few cm and try again.  From Michi's stop, I note that he's at rather an angle to the direction of travel and not aligned with his initial placement in his pit stall.  He might be some 20-25° skewed to the left.  This may have killed his chances at a successful patching.  Michi re-positioned his car but moved it considerably to the right taking up a place more akin to the right-side pit stall and well off the centreline of his stall.  A raised arm noted here did nothing for him and Michi was kicked shortly after.  Sigh...  Bad luck, MK.

As a conclusion, i believe that the pit stop test was a success based on the results and performance of the Cooper team.  Just a couple of minor flaws.  What is quite apparent is that the pit stop patch requires full understanding and significant practice to master.  This is an element of complexity that some may find not worth the bother.  Fair enough.  Each must determine his level of commitment.  The night patch performed its job 'as advertised' and is a great addon.  Following the race, I ran out a note to Lee Bowden regarding the Night Patch with the ask that it may be tuned to run as Day-to-Night only as would be the case for Sebring.  He'll look into it soon.  :)

#66 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Two things to note here.

The patch worked for me, at least the refuel part. My pit was on the inside of the lane, so I naturally aimed for that spot, but to my surprise the board was at least a cars width further towards the track. But I had my Pribluda open and was watching the fuel level once I repositioned and I got refueled, hence my assumption that the patch worked. That and the 12 laps I sat in the pits previously.

As for the server taking the first pit slot. This comes from the fact that the server isn't a server in the common sense. GPL has no dedicated server so we use another player to act as a server, while the server never drivers the car, he gets a pitstall and player slot. Hence the maximum player number of 19 instead of 20. AFAIK pitstalls are assigned by join order, the server being the first on the server by virtue of hosting gets the first pitstall.
The solution here should simply be to isolate stall 0 and pair of the stalls starting with 1&2, 3&4, etc.
I just wanna race

#67 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:44 AM

Hi, Michi.  I'm somewhat mystified as to why your placard seemed to have shifted to the right from your initial stall location.  That's a head-scratcher.  No wonder you tried to re-position your Brabham for patch activation.

Your comments re the server assignment are illuminating.  I'll most definitely keep this in mind in future.  As for your thoughts on achieving enduros via a totally different method which you previously outlined, please do continue your researches.  Ditto for Mick.

I'll be continuing to explore massaging the concept to achieve a simple, fool-proof and effective driver swap as per our Saturday test but for now, it's on the back burner.  Time to concentrate on Brno49!  :)

#68 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:15 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 29 July 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

A little mis-read of Pribluda lead John to pit early on his first stint.

That could be a problem. Pribluda does some strange things regarding when laps completed are recorded. I've been tricked a few times. At Enna once, Pribluda made me think I had run one lap more or one lap less that I had actually completed. At Lemans, Pribluda doesn't record the last lap completed until you've turned right at Mulsanne, the default position of the pit board.

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 29 July 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

I suppose that it could be said of Pepe that if he didn't have bad luck, he'd have none at all.

That reminds me of the Cream song, Born Under A Bad Sign. :)

View PostMichkov, on 29 July 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

AFAIK pitstalls are assigned by join order, the server being the first on the server by virtue of hosting gets the first pitstall.
The solution here should simply be to isolate stall 0 and pair of the stalls starting with 1&2, 3&4, etc.

That's what I would have guessed. Did you guys qualify? I wonder, if cars qualify, will the server's pit stall be relegated to the back. If nobody qualified, I would expect the server would get the first pit stall since it was the first to "join". But my thought may be total garbage, since pit stall assignments shouldn't be changed from qualifying to the race.
Greg Taber

#69 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:57 AM

I'll be massaging the concept in the coming weeks in hopes of eliminating any glitches we came across in our beta test but I do have some very encouraging news as of today.

I've been exchanging PM's with Lee Bowden and he has produced a patch that is strictly Day-to-Night.  I've yet to try it but knowing Lee's prowess in producing these wonders, I'm sure that it will work as intended.  Sebring is the obvious fit for it, no?

Thanks, Lee!  :)

Edit: Just ran off a 24-lapper at PIR against 5 AI with the patch engaged  Perfect!  The sky was sunny bright to start but began to turn pinkish around lap 10-11, became dark at laps 12-13 and was black as coal at lap 14 through to the finish.  It's a winner!  :)

#70 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

i for one have no idea the attraction to 'nite' racing. for me GPL is challenging enough as is!  to LIMIT visibility seems a tad beyond the reach of an enjoyable experience.  maybe MAYBE if its the SpCar mod, with headlamps.... i could see << get it?)   see the value, but the rest? GP's in the day were at most 2+hrs....   so why?
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#71 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

Hi, Bo!  :)

Ah, but there is much in the works in betaland.  A revised GT Sports Mod is largely completed and I would expect that it will be released before the end of the year.  It includes revised physics and graphics.  We have a Chaparral 2F with a working wing.  Yup!  You can plane it out on the straights or stand it up for corners achieving more adhesion.  The performance has been geared to those aero factors.  Plus, we have the inclusion of this little gem...

Attached File  alfa_t33.jpg   40.82K   1 downloads

It's the Alfa T33.

Lee's night patches are specifically targeted at the GT Mod(past & future)and with his very recent development of the 'Day-to-Night' only variation, the Sebring event is a natural.  I've tested it offline at PIR over 24 laps and it's spot on.  If events can be organized with participation between nine, two-driver teams using my concept outlined in this thread, I think that it would be a terrific plus for the old girl.  As well, in the last few days, I've experimented with a file that will achieve a LeMans start ala the 1970 running.  Drivers started in their cars that year...1969 was the final year for the drivers sprinting across the road to their cars...and my tests do realize this as a possibility.  Watch the start of the race of the McQueen epic for a taste of what might be coming down the road as development continues.

Additionally, I encourage Mick & Michi to continue pursuing their concepts for achieving long-distance enduros.

GPL.  20 years on and you just can't kill it.  :)

#72 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

It would be awesome to see Headlights in the new Sports car mod. but perhaps I'm asking for too much.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#73 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:37 PM

Eee...  'fraid so, John.  The functions that would allow head(and tail + brake lights, too, for that matter)have been taken up by other goodies.  Perhaps one day...

To be clear regarding the Night Mod, it does not darken the track surface or surrounding objects.  Only the horizon and sky are dimmed right up to and including pitch black.

Sim Racing Links