A Short Test

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:56 AM

Actually, I see a problem with the scenario I painted above for Pepe & Michi.  The race distance on the server should be set to 20 laps, not 40.  Or better, perhaps 24.  The doubling-up of laps on aggregate cuts the race distance required.

#22 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

Just tried some test races with nine AI at PIR using Lee Bowden's Night Patch.  Holy smokes!  It's fantastic!  It worked exactly as described in the reame.  As well, I tried it over 12 laps of Daytona.  Superb!  Give it a twist, gys!

Pick it up at the link previously noted in post #11.

In the chart below, here's what's currently doable for long-distance races in GPL...

Attached File  enduro_chart02.jpg   81.3K   12 downloads

#23 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

What happens if the 1st driver takes the chequered flag? You potentially run into a situation that the race is over at half distance if people dont pay attention. Because as soon someone takes the flag no more laps are scored once the remainder of the cars cross the line. Even the server shuts down after a while.

If you are not set on the handover in the pits, you could run 2 servers with each driver of the team running on one. You need to add the distances in the manually anyway so why do not away with the complications that come with driver swaps and the like.

Also why run timed races in race mode? Why not set the server to practice and see how many laps a driver can get in in that time? Using the oAo qualy rules, this should be fairly accurate to the real thing, if you apply time penalties to things like lost wheels and the like.

Now we only can run 2h at a time this way so, one either runs it as full distance with a driver having to run 4 sessions for a 24h race (assuming 3 driver teams here) or you scale it down. I run the numbers with 24h being 120 minuntes and the distances for the WSC races comes to:

RL    GPL
24 Hours of Daytona    1440    120
12h Sebrig        720    60
1000km Monza*        100    8
1000km Spa*        71    6
Targa Florio*        10    1
1000km Nürburgring*    44    4
24 Hours of Le Mans    1440    120
BOAC 500 (6 Hours)    360    30

With the * being distance based races, where laps have been scaled at the factor the time certain races have.
and the forum just swallowed my formatting. First of the trailling numbers is reallife racetime in minutes/laps, second one is GPL min/laps.

Edited by Michkov, 20 July 2018 - 02:36 PM.

I just wanna race

#24 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

Hi, again, Michi.  I'm not sure I'm on your wavelength regarding much of your post points.  Regarding a 1st driver taking the checker, Pepe is the lead driver of your team taking the 1st, 2d and 3rd stints to the checker.  His lap count/stint is eight.  His pit board will keep track of his progress and will count down to zero normally, won't it?  It did for me in a test race.  I should hope that any team member knows whether or not he should be on track and when.

You mention two servers and, if I'm reading this right, combining the results?  Well, OK, but the flavour of running a single event is largely lost, imo.  Not sure on your point there.

Races using performance from multiple, 2-hour practice sessions to establish a result on aggregate?  Well, yes, I guess that's doable.  Are you suggesting that this be done solo?

I see by your chart that you've effectively used a divisor of 12 to reduce the race length.  Even the longest race is within reach of a single entry going the distance.  Is this in keeping with the idea of long-distance enduros which I'm looking to achieve?

"...swallowed my formatting."  LOL!  Know what you mean, MK.  That's why I plugged data into an Excel SS and copied it over to a jpg.  Keeps things nice and tidy.  :)

BULLETIN!  BULLETIN!

Bo has just contacted me via email and will schedule PIR commencing Monday, July 23 to run on the OAO server.  If I'm understanding him rightly, PIR will alternate for the balance of the week with other circuits remaining on our S21 schedule.  At this time, we do have a time slot reserved for a full-blown test on Saturday, July 28 at the usual time.  Keen!  :)

#25 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:53 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 20 July 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Hi, again, Michi.  I'm not sure I'm on your wavelength regarding much of your post points.  Regarding a 1st driver taking the checker, Pepe is the lead driver of your team taking the 1st, 2d and 3rd stints to the checker.  His lap count/stint is eight.  His pit board will keep track of his progress and will count down to zero normally, won't it?  It did for me in a test race.  I should hope that any team member knows whether or not he should be on track and when.
The worry is that someone simply misses their pitboard and runs an extra lap, taking the checker. Since the program is only checking if single drivers have completed the race, everybody else gets flagged down as well, even if their teammate would still have to run their remaining laps.

You mention two servers and, if I'm reading this right, combining the results?  Well, OK, but the flavour of running a single event is largely lost, imo.  Not sure on your point there.

Races using performance from multiple, 2-hour practice sessions to establish a result on aggregate?  Well, yes, I guess that's doable.  Are you suggesting that this be done solo?
As mentioned up top I've pondered how to get long distance running to work with the limitations of GPL as well. This is the approach I've come up with. Here you get 19 guys on a server and let them run for however long the race is. Their teammates run on another server or in a later session. In the end you just aggregate the times/laps for the results.

I see by your chart that you've effectively used a divisor of 12 to reduce the race length.  Even the longest race is within reach of a single entry going the distance.  Is this in keeping with the idea of long-distance enduros which I'm looking to achieve?
Sorry forgot to mention this is to be the distance each driver of a team has to run individually. So the 120mins are not split between the team. This is mostly limited by the wish to keep the 24/12/6hr race distances the same and the 120min limit of the practice sessions.
I just wanna race

#26 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 20 July 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hi Doni,
[EDIT] Michi replied while I was typing this. [/EDIT]

I think Michi's point is we are artificially doubling the server race distance.

If for example strategy was left completely up to the teams there is a danger that someone might decide that the fastest route is a single driver change.

So we have a 20 lap race but the team should (All being well) run 40 laps - 20 laps each (Or any other combination totalling 40 laps between them).

In a Single driver swap scenario the first driver might try to go for 21 laps before handing over. But his 21st lap would end the race.

This also means that in the event a team member gets a screen freeze or disco then the other team member possibly can't drive the remaining distance alone as they will also hit the 20 lap race distance before the "Team" has completed 40 laps.

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 20 July 2018 - 04:00 PM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#27 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

I downloaded all the patches that I hadn't had before. My results were mixed:

1) Letterbox removals v1 and v2: I didn't have a letterbox problem but tried them anyway. They interfered with the Pribluda tire pressures on my monitor (running at 1280x1024 so that Pribluda appears at something larger than 6pt type);
     2) Weather: Lots of fog for sure;
     3) Night: Didn't work with either OpenGLv2 or Direct3d7v2;
     4) Pit stop: I used this last year at the long race at Rouen and it's fine (even though it doesn't appear immediately on my screen, so I bang my button 20 times in 1.2 seconds to encourage it).

#28 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:23 PM

Hi Bob,
In what way did the "No Letterbox" patch affect Pribluda? Do you have a before and after screenshot?

Regarding the night patch. You didn't by any chance have both the night and weather patches activated at the same time? (That messes the night patch up and you can't run both together).

TTFN
John.

#29 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

John, I'll try to do a before/after.

The night patch box alone was checked in GEM+. I actually read the Read Me. If I did something wrong, I'll be damned if I know what it was.

#30 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

Strange about the night patch. :( I've never had any issues with it.I presume you did give it plenty of time to "kick in". It doesn't begin to darken until about 33% of the qualification or race has passed. (Then fades back to day after 66% of race or qualy is completed).

TTFN
John.

#31 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:30 PM

ScrnShot1: No options but PitStop checked in GEM+. ScrnShot2: Night and LetterboxV1 boxes checked. ScrnShot1 is to the right and is clearly superior to the other. I guess they're not loaded as FIFO.  :)

Attached Files

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 20 July 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#32 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

Pepe the night patch needs some run time to kick in. For testing I suggest using it on a Novice length race, where the practice session is only 15 mins. Try that if it still doesn't work we'll take it from there. If weather works Nigt should work too as it's one and the same effect used different ways.

Try the patches individually before combining them first. Always a good rule when changing things.
I just wanna race

#33 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:58 PM

I don't see anything wrong. :confused: I can see the night patch is activated in ScrnShot2 as the horizon and sky are slightly "fogged out" (There is always a little fogging even in full daytime mode). Whereas it's quite bright in ScrnShot1.

As far as I can see the "No Letterbox" patch is working as it should.

John.
TTFN

#34 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

Um, the part about my having read the ReadMe file? Well, that's still pretty much true, especially the section on how to install it. The part about what to expect once it's installed for some reason was written in Chinese and I am still not completely fluent in Mandarin. That having been said, it appears that everything in the patch seems to be working for some reason. Now if I could only figure out how to delete prior posts and erase the forum's collective memory in the process, my life would pretty much be a bowl of cherries. Sigh.
(And sheh sheh, John.)  :black_eye:

#35 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:26 PM

i could delete any/all posts Pepe.. but i think leaving it might help someone else when they come looking for fixes or do a search :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#36 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

rFactor     ..........sorry, could not help myself......

Good Luck.

#37 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:35 AM

Some time after closing up shop for the night, the light bulb went on regarding your post regarding the first driver, Michi.  YIKES!  If he meets the server count before handing off to his team mate, the race would come to a catastrophic premature conclusion.  This is an aspect that I hadn't considered and there must be a tolerance built into how many laps that first driver runs as a maximum.  I must take some time to consider all the parameters but off the cuff, I'd say that for Monza, as an example, the server should be set for 52 laps.  The first driver restricts his maximum lap count to 48 and his team mate makes up the difference with a full 52.  Other races would need some attention, too.

My lack of experience with Pribluda is showing here but does it not keep track of the total number of laps that the user has run?  This would be crucially important.

There are other things to address from your posts above as well as other posters comments but I'm under the gun to get some things done around the house here today...elder son's birthday!  :)...and must beg off for the moment.  Back as soon as I can.

Thanks to all for your input!

#38 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Back again...  PHEW!  Busy day and it's barely started!

Mich wrote...

"The worry is that someone simply misses their pitboard and runs an extra lap, taking the checker. Since the program is only checking if single drivers have completed the race, everybody else gets flagged down as well, even if their teammate would still have to run their remaining laps"

Acknowledged, MK.  This is the light bulb going on for me last evening.  Man, this would be disaster, wouldn't it?  A sure-fire way must be determined for a runner to keep track of his laps and make absolutely certain that the server lap count isn't met by accident.  From what I can make out, Pribluda would keep track of laps run.  Must confirm this.

Michi wrote...

"As mentioned up top I've pondered how to get long distance running to work with the limitations of GPL as well. This is the approach I've come up with. Here you get 19 guys on a server and let them run for however long the race is. Their teammates run on another server or in a later session. In the end you just aggregate the times/laps for the results."

Ah...  I see.  Entirely workable, imo.  The only...minor...drawback compared to my concept is a delay...potentially quite long...in finding out just who ultimately placed where.  I do like the aspect of potentially having many more teams involved.  Upwards of 19, right?  I would gladly participate in a test of this enduro variant.  A caveat for me, personally, is my physical endurance in a 2-hour session.  More than anything, it's my vision that concerns me.  I ran a CanAm71 race with the ADC at Edmonton last night and even before taking the green flag, my eyeballs were watering up.  I can't hardly believe that I lasted the distance and scored only one '64' late in the going when I completely lost sight of my turn-in point coming off the front straight.  Ah, the joys of being a senior citizen(69).

Michi wrote...

"Sorry forgot to mention this is to be the distance each driver of a team has to run individually. So the 120mins are not split between the team. This is mostly limited by the wish to keep the 24/12/6hr race distances the same and the 120min limit of the practice sessions."

Got it.  Pretty much understood from the previous paragraphs.

John...  Thanks for the post in helping to clarify MK's point.  Yes, I understand the significance.  It's absolutely vital for the lap count to be monitored by each runner.

Mick...  Glad to have you aboard, mate!  I'm putting you in a BRM.  ;)

Time permitting with birthday festivities for my son, I plan to run some more trials at PIR today paying close attention to just what Pribluda is telling me.  All those colours must mean something.

#39 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 21 July 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

From what I can make out, Pribluda would keep track of laps run.  Must confirm this.

John...  Thanks for the post in helping to clarify MK's point.  Yes, I understand the significance.  It's absolutely vital for the lap count to be monitored by each runner.

I plan to run some more trials at PIR today paying close attention to just what Pribluda is telling me.  All those colours must mean something.

Pribluda doesn't count up the laps, but counts down from the race laps setting.

There are some big problems here:

1 - It seems that the lap count only gets updated when the car passes the pitboard, so sitting in the pits, you won't see the laps change

2 - At the start of PIR67, the pitboard might be too far away to even show the laps remaining for the race until you move forward enough for the pitboard to sense you. If it's moved back enough for the furthest back in the pits, it might be too far back for those ahead of it.

Oops, the above #2 was when I joined the race to early. When I waited until after the grid departed, I could see the laps to go, but still they didn't count down and don't get updated until you go past the pitboard.

I suppose that if you are communicating with the teammate over Teamspeak it should work out OK. A friend - Warren Hall - always has Teamspeak up and I'm sure he'll be happy to let us use it. You just need to create a channel for your team: Right click on the default channel > "create channel" For Doni and me, the channel could be named RS_DY

Find info on setting Teamspeak up at
http://forums.speedg...00&hl=teamspeak
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#40 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 04:02 PM

I wish I was up for it Doni, but just the fact you are trying it makes my head hurt.

So, I thought about a similar concept a while back, What I came up with goes like this......

RAce takes place in practice...full field.....server admin chats formation lap - green etc...

After 1st stint, driver 1 pits...exits serve...tags co driver......and so on......The tricky bit is time keeping/lap count so it would rely on GPLRA reports replays and trust.

Now....trawling through stuff. I would sure help out with that.

Sim Racing Links