Pressure-sensitive Brake Pedals

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

Anyone had experience with a pedal setup where the brake is controlled by pressure rather than pedal movement?

I see the Thomas now has an upgrade to their pedals but its not cheap.    I love my Thomas wheel (11 years old and counting) but am not sure its worth it when you add in the cost of a cockpit setup so you can press really hard on the pedal.

#2 Don Keightley

Don Keightley

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

View PostBurtAugust, on Dec 16 2009, 04:39 PM, said:

Anyone had experience with a pedal setup where the brake is controlled by pressure rather than pedal movement?

I see the Thomas now has an upgrade to their pedals but its not cheap.    I love my Thomas wheel (11 years old and counting) but am not sure its worth it when you add in the cost of a cockpit setup so you can press really hard on the pedal.

Todd Cannon is soon going to be releasing an economy model of his F1 style pedal set for around $400US. Far and away the best pedals in the business.

#3 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

If you have a G25 wheel and pedals, the load cell from Andy Pastore is very good and only $60 US.  I'm using it and any load cell is better than a travel/distance sensor.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#4 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Bob, are you using a cockpit or a chair that is fixed in place ?

#5 Rob Bakker

Rob Bakker

GTL European Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on Jan 4 2010, 02:43 PM, said:

If you have a G25 wheel and pedals, the load cell from Andy Pastore is very good and only $60 US.  I'm using it and any load cell is better than a travel/distance sensor.
Thanks Bob. I didn't know someone was selling those. And even shipping for a reasonable price. http://www.apelectrix.com/
Think this will be soon behind my brake pedal. :)
Rob.

ADC GTL Race Reports - Statistics and GTL car specs.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

#6 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

This is what my cockpit looks like, although I've switched from the BRD pedals back to the G25 pedals with the load cell.

Attached Files

Bob Simpson

#7 Tom

Tom

Tom Yeiser AKA Spud

• ADC
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Bob, does this switch have some travel built into it? If so is the amount of travel adjustable? Or does the pedal just stay in place and the more pressure you apply the more braking you get?

Tom
Tom Yeiser

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

The way it comes, there's about 5 mm travel at the face of the brake pedal, then there's a hard rubber block (orange in Pastore's home page picture) that is squeezed between the load cell and the pedal allowing a small amount of travel with resistance - maybe another 3 to 5 mm.

That block of rubber could be thicker to reduce play or it could be made from something harder.  I think that I'd like less travel myself, so I might just put a hard shim of some kind in there on top of the rubber block.
Bob Simpson

Sim Racing Links