• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Cooper

Bill Cooper

BRM Freak

• Admin
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:41 AM

Since RSC is still down I figured I would give us another place to chat etc.
Most have made it to SRMZ but for those that don't often visit there well here is another place ;)

#2 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

View PostBill Cooper, on Mar 30 2009, 09:41 AM, said:

Since RSC is still down I figured I would give us another place to chat etc.
Most have made it to SRMZ but for those that don't often visit there well here is another place ;)

Thank you very much Sir :)
AP

#3 kennoe

kennoe

• ADC
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

Here's a starter topic, which I am sure has been done to death but always worth revising, new forum and all that.

I am a recent convert to sim racing. I mostly play (right word?) GPL. Slipping and sliding around tracks mostly unfettered by armco, tyres, high wire fences and chicanes provides a great experience, the quality of the mods and support for the sim is great and the 1960s atmosphere quite immersive. These are the cars of my youth.

I do occasionally play GTL and GTR2. I needed to buy the original discs when the Power & Glory mod came out, given it covered much of the same era as GPL. I enjoy this form of racing, but not as much as GPL. Modern sports cars are not for me and I stick mostly to the older makes.

My gripe is not the cars though. It is the tracks. Recently I downloaded Monaco 1988 for GTR2. I wanted to compare the track with the one I had been used to in GPL, recognising that it would not be the same, or even similar, given the changes to most tracks over the intervening 40 years or so. What really stood out for me and that I could not come to grips with, was the claustrophobic nature of the track, compared with the 1967 version in GPL. The track seems so much narrower, though this may only be perception and not actually the case. It is hard enough to pass on the 1967 version of the track, but this is ridiculous. No wonder the F1s rarely pass during the GP. The free flowing track in 1967 has given way to chicane after chicane and the feeling that you are racing in a tunnel for a lot of the time, even when you are not actually driving through The Tunnel!

I have also been doing a few laps around Melbourne, to compare the experience with what I saw in the Australian F1 GP last weekend and I was aware of the same thing. The spectators at ground level watch the race through the wire barriers. At least there are places where you can try a pass on this track.

Maybe these tracks are not typical of what modern racing tracks are like, given they are both used for F1.

So for me the best tracks in GTL/GTR2 are the reworked GPL tracks depicting the 1967 version. The graphics are not as good as some of the newer versions of the same tracks but they are so much better to drive.

Please note this is not a criticism of GTL/GTR2, so much as a comment on the way the need for driver/spectator safety has somewhat spoiled the driving experience.

Cheers

Steve

#4 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

You're right.  There's nothing quite like GPL and as you say it's partly the historic tracks.

There's a 67 Sports cars mod being worked on for GPL, but don't hold your breath.  It's possibly 6 months or more away from completion.  There's also the Targa Florio which is very close to completion (weeks away maybe?) if you like the insanity of racing roads where the trees and walls were right at the edge of the track.  :)  The drivers of that era were incredibly brave or crazy.

I've seen footage of Monaco races up to the late 60s where people (photographers, marshals) were standing on the sidewalks as the cars raced by.  What the heck were they thinking?
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

Sim Racing Links