D1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Well, the Honda didnt like the long sweeps for more than 3-4 laps no matter what I tried in setup so decided to field the Brabham. An average Q meant I was still midfield in a very competitive pack, looking to be a closely fought race. In fact it was at times too closely fought. In the end another DNF, but most of all sorry for the incidents the way they seem to occur, Ed was on my outside at the start and warp contact sent him out unfortunately, then later on was following the P3-4-5-6 battle quite well, but after some heated battles got tangled up a bit after I started slipping too much exiting the Loop, and it meant being collected, no harm of course, it happens when there close racing going on. In fact I did the same myself later on in the last bend, when ahead a Brabham also had to get out of a slide and I was too close to avoid contact....Unfortunate race really that ended on the dreaded haybale at the Outside of the Loop, at least not losing wheels :(

Having a throat infection and the whole family not feeling well it might have impacted my driving stamina a bit, but all in all it's a result to forget and a promising race lost. Good luck to those still running!

Will write more later!

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 07 October 2017 - 09:36 AM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#2 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

Short race for me.

Driving my ass of an still just 15th on the grid, let's hope that's just rust.

Had a run on Frank at the start but had to dodge whoever crashed in T1, but could make the overtake stick into the Loop. That was part of my mission for today accomplished, just needed to keep the order that way for 54 1/2 laps :)

Could match Enrique with the gap moving around a bit but on average staying the same, with Frank about the same gap to the rear

Michiel spun at the 90 putting him behind Frank, he was able to get by him fairly quickly and set of after me. Coming into the final turn I got loose on exit and Michiel already on the gas went into my rear. The contact turned me over and that was that.
I chuck it up to a racing incident and GPLs wonky crash handling, but a wee bit more patience would've been appreciated. Given a lap or two, Michiel would have got by anyway and T1 isn't really a place to pass anyone here.

Edited by Michkov, 07 October 2017 - 03:46 PM.

I just wanna race

#3 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

Apologies to Michael. Felt to me like we were taking it easy on lap 1, but I saw Tris checking up entering the loop too late, which caught me by surprise. Reacting quicker, we both would have made it through OK. Race went downhill after that, I probably needed to reduce tyre pressures by 0.5 psi anyway.

Grats to Rob and the field; I hope this won't affect the teams championship battle at the end of the year.
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#4 Gerd

Gerd

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Grats to Rob,Tom and Tris ! (i guess:D)

For me another disappointing race, combination of bad performance of gpl on my pc and myself sucks quite much the fun out of it:(
Went off in the loop with 2 or 3 laps to go, damaged car, race over.This season is not mine for sure.
Today I had a new phenomenon after switching to opengl (dx is a horrible stutterfest). everytime a textmessage appears while in car, gpl stutters for 1-3 seconds, then back to smooth. the longer the textmsg the longer the stutters it seemed. In dx I didnt experience it, bc it ran always like that for a while.

Thx to all the cars who got lapped and played nice ! :)

#5 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

I understand, Iestyn. Tris slowed down much more than I expected or needed to, but I had no choice but to do the same. The moment before contact I held my breath hoping that you would be able to react in time. And then the accordion effect happened. Just an unfortunate chain of events. No hard feelings.

Understand please that I'm not blaming Tristan, either. Even the best car/driver might struggle on cold tires. We all have to try to anticipate that on any lap 1 as well.

I haven't seen the results yet. Hope it was a good race. Congratulations to all finishers

Michael

#6 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Been really disturbing recently when talking about my performances... three retirements in a row now. :(

Qualifying was pretty much rampage. I got no further than 14th because I could not get a good lap done.

Made a lot of places up during the early phase of the race, up to seventh position, mostly due to the misfortune of others.
But I've been struggling all race to get to pace and a overheating real left tyre.

Around the 15th lap I spun in Turn 3, (yes, that one...) due to the overheating tyre and causing oversteer as it lost all the grip.
I hit the wall and assume and I had some damage because my car felt wobbly. I approached the 180° rather recklessly and a combination of (presumed) damaged suspenion and an overheated tyre made me spin and lose the right side of the car.
It's probably done fore...

Blame it on frustration, but I feel a little done with the season at this point...
Things just aren't going like I hope anymore and I feel my competitiveness is just slipping away...
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

In quali had a good lap in my second run I think, but was still surprised with the laptime, a PB with .11s, after having done thousands of laps here :P

Start always difficult here on the banked main straight, but managed to hold the lead. Looked like I had the edge over Roy early on, we both pushed hard but gradually the gap grew to 3s, tenth for tenth. Halfway Roy dropped and from then on managed the pace and car, and took absolutely no risks. Wanted to do my utmost best to bring another win and many points for the team championship. Nothing would please me more than to see my D2 drivers become teamchampions.

However, Michael having to retire early without his fault is a tough break, and not the way we as a team like to get an advantage. Then again, it's part of racing. Been there, done that.

Well done to Tom Guérout for P2 in the Brab, in the lead lap, and Tris for P3 (he slowed in last lap, fuel?) ;) Good job finishers, thanks all for making lapping easy. Commiserations to the retirements, especially those early on.

Thanks to Michi for his efforts, unlucky DNF...

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 07 October 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#8 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

in fact, it arrived 5 was, only by luck came constant and careful.
   there were quite a lot of  accidents, especially in "loop"
   m.pompert was much faster than me but he was wrong 3 times and in lap 18 he ran out of wheels. T. dank was fighting with lestyn, who came very fast, but "loop" does not give mercy and lestyn was out, dank was also out on lap 20. the verheitten ferrari on the "deam  curve" left, and I continued inheriting positions , also the aliens from ahead went in "the curve" van drunnen that came 2 to 2 laps to go "the curve" took it, hoffferer, also was victim of "the curve"
  I had a lot of luck in this race, and I got 5, betwen 5 or 6 "aliens" crash the car, and I can "tief" that positions.
   special congratulations to robert, he took lap up to 3rd place, what a way to run the one of this "xtra alien"
   lestyn the pedal of the middle are the brake, used sometime. hehehehe
Posted Image[img

#9 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

Grats to our new champion, Robert Fleurke!!!!! Well done mate.
I'm a little bit jealous too man... :)

About myself, zero laps done before the race (luckily the Glen is a short track and well known to me), and had to race super-safe mod on because of coins shortage (we had our Ferrari trashed at Monza D2, no blame on our driver, who got cut off on the straight and trashed to death, and that being billed as race incident, so we had to pay for it, frankly quite ridiculous. It's not my habit to criticize our stewards but all this is again frankly quite ridiculous IMHO).
Anyway, as for this time mission accomplished.

Lorenzo

Edited by mellilore, 07 October 2017 - 03:35 PM.

GPL FOREVER

#10 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

Congrats Robert!

#11 PeterA

PeterA

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:05 AM

First of all a big congrats to Rob with the championship, well deserved indeed as you've been in a class of your own this season!

In Q I couldn't get a decent lap in and then overshot the loop and crashed out.. so had to wait out untill the 5 min.. was not a good time to do so, because the whole midfield of brab's was very close and my 1.05.4x had me around 13th or so.. Luckily I was able to pull out a 1.05.0x in the dying minutes which gave me 10th instead of what would've been 14th..

In Race, I picked up 4 positions from people crashing out, so found myself in 6th, later Pompert went off around T-last where I passed him, he repassed me down towards the loop but then spun sideways coming out of it, I tried to brake and avoid, but combined with what seemed like lag on my side we collided :-/ - this gave me 5th but now Yannick had a shot at me, but I was able to stay ahead untill he, as he mentions, spun out of T3..
As Höfferer crashed out I picked up 4th at the end.. Impressive consistency stats gentlemen :-)

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

The season is far from over, but still feel like writing an acceptance speech :D

Thanks guys, very happy I did clinch the D1 drivers c'ship already. I've been very lucky this season in general, but I'm also driving better than ever I believe! If anything, I didn't have too much expectations, I just raced from race to race. As said, all the bad luck in previous seasons turnt into good fortune. Still, had my share of bad luck with the blanked screens events early in the season, but due to the mass disco at BA it was damage control only losing the win at Brands. In a way I was lucky to finish having twice a blanked screen there...later in the season we had the dreaded start incident at the Ring. A major dent in our team c'ship bid, and we lost Greg as a team. He's still on the team and we have had contact again. He has his private reasons he's not able to race ATM here. I do respect that.

Very thankful I'm able to practice this hobby, and still to learn so much. Even when the learning curve flattens out, the challenge is also still to improve myself, and I'm still driving PB's all the time  :)

Many thanks to all drivers, without you I'm nothing. It's been a fun ride this season so far, but also have to say Roy has been thoroughly unlucky after a good season start, when he took a break. As it appearred, Michael was my greatest challenger, it also says something about the points system. If you're able to be a solid finisher, it will be rewarded. Then again, Michael has been unlucky at times as well. If he hadn't missed a race, and hadn't crashed in Monaco and Mosport, plus yesterday's event he could have given me a run to the end of the season.

It's a fact the opposition made me look better than I am. I'm pleased I could beat Roy fair and square at Monza and the Glen. It's great he's back on the grid. It's a shame Iestyn, Gerd and Lore aren't performing to their usual level, due to several reasons. Much respect for still racing despite that. Michiel is potentially also a better driver than me, shown often in 1 lap pace in lesser cars. IMO he's also still a bit rusty in racing conditions looking at his results. And then Tom Guérout arrived, ATM the fastest driver around. If he's around for next season in topcars, then the order will be shaken up. Also a shame Col lost interest, but I do understand. It's a great honour to succeed my former teamie, friend and rival! :)

Again, thanks to everyone making oAo possible. In the first place Bruce, it's a great league and format you have built. Also thanks to the TSG group (Claudio) and the Race Stewards: Bob Holada, Michael Lowery and John Hammonds. Also many thanks to my teamies for their dedication and moral support! At last but not least thanks to all drivers, it's been a blast so far this season! Cheers! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 02 November 2017 - 07:52 AM.

#13 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

Oh wow, indeed! i hadn't paid much attention to the points standings but you did it! Congratulations Rob, by far the most solid performer of us all and I barely saw anything of you on the track :)

I think you were not far off regarding how it went for me, Whilst I do feel in general my races were not so bad as they might seem, early on I needed to get used to the mid field squabbles in the opening laps a bit, then some bad luck with freezes and sometimes simply poor race performances from trying too hard hampered a good season effort as well as keeping me in the heavier machinery most of the time to keep our heads above the water coins wise. Time wise i simply was mostly able to just do some running just before the race and then do the race itself, except at the Ring, where I could perform to by potential finally. After a September month with loads of changes in private life with my wife finding work, daycare needed urgent attention and most of the days I am working and then alone with my kids until late in the evening. This did drain me of energy whilst getting used to the new flow of things and it clearly shows in how the recent races have gone, lack of proper preparations and fatigue gave some of my poorest efforts really, even if early on it could go well I would run out of steam and something would happen.

Despite all this I do intend to stay on, and next year hopefully after all the challenges I had with the family it can be more steady and showing in a rejuvenated me on the track :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#14 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

View Postefarina, on 07 October 2017 - 02:46 PM, said:

lestyn the pedal of the middle are the brake, used sometime. hehehehe

:lol: :rotfl:
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Received the oAo D1 drivers 2017 C'ship trophy! Thanks Bruce! :)

Attached File  IMG_20171018_181039.jpg   141.17K   21 downloads

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 18 October 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#16 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

arrived already? that was fast! you earned it :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#17 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

Congratulations, Robert.  Fully earned and deserved.  IMO, you are without doubt, Top Gun.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D1

Sim Racing Links