Monza

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

My turn to start a topic, not a happy one. In lap 2 got into contact with Bob S. By the looks of it he was able to continue. I haven't seen the replay yet, we were really close going into turn one. I was really looking forward to this race, such a nice line up with so little time difference in Qualy. I guess it belongs to racing, would have loved to finish this one.

Edit: just looked at the replay. I thought Bob was already behind me, that's why I went back to the race line. In the replay I see Bob still next to me with nowhere to go. Misjudgment from me I'm afraid, very sorry about that.

Edited by Tames, 30 September 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#2 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Sad report here, too.  Rookie mistake - lost concentration for a second and lost control braking
into Lesmo 1, ended upside down.  Sorry, team.

Edited by DDodge, 30 September 2017 - 09:28 AM.

Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#3 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Sitting pretty in 2nd with 4 laps to got and internet went down. (for the 4th time today). Missed most of Qualifying due to same problem. Not a happy day for me.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#4 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

Hi all,

Didn't start quali well - I'd let one car through and then be in wrong spot and hold up the 5 trailing cars. Shortly thereafter I pulled into Mick and ruined his Qualifying.

I got it back in the race. The opening four laps were pretty much a rolling disaster, with cars ping ponging every which way. I hit most of them at one point or another. Once the dust had settled there were three hondas in a row and Bob had a run on me into Parabolica. He was much quicker and so I went wide into the turn to let him by only to hit Don who had spun just ahead. I jinked but it was not enough. Thereafter I drove a pretty conservative race to finish last.

I'm thinking I'll purchase a BRM rather than fix the Honda. I've found it's a little easier to drive. Probably not the right car for the glen or Mexico but could be quite a lot of fun.

AH

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:07 AM

a little bit of everything for me.
qual, disappointed 9th but about where i've been time wise 29.7
finished 6th. so ok not a bad result - considering

race start, and i get the jump on Claudio and  BobS- yay! but then people jumble up at the lesmo and i take avoiding action and restart near last (16)
lap two Pepe and Claudio tangle and i manage to avoid (1st close call) i don't know how i managed to squeeze thru. (2d close call)
later chasing Tim and Mick ... Tim just gets around Mick and as i close on Mick he loses the back and i barely miss him (3d close call)

from there i chasing Tim.. lap after lap.. and catching him .. but in the area of 2/10ths a lap. finally i get along side as we charge down to Ascari.. i'm on the outside wondering "is Tim going to back off?"
as we're going into the apex (?) i touch the grass and lose it ~ regained direction, and carried on.. but that was as close as i got to Tim. from there is was holding off Mick, which i was able to do, but finished on fumes... one lap down... had i gone 40 i would have had to stop for fuel :P

good field of cars.... i think the 60fps saved 1/2 the field tho, from all the contact. that lap 2 tangle could have been much worse!
congrats to the podium - on to Watkins Glen!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#6 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

Since we're down to a three-man team, Niky and I were put in the Ferrari and Lotus respectively. I do not remember when, if ever, I have driven a Lotus in an online race, but I practiced diligently, hoping to finish well and not smash the car up. I qualified in mid-pack with a 1:30, laughable for a Lotus at Monza but not bad for me. As usual, however, there were faster drivers behind me and I knew they wouldn't want to stay behind me very long.

I got through the customary carnage on L1 only to create my own war zone exiting the second Lesmo on L2. I had a terrible entry, running wide, and collided with Claudio as he tried to slip past me on the inside. That crash managed to catch up a bunch of other drivers, so I'll once again issue a blanket apology and promise (once again) to do better in the future.

Still, I wasn't through. I couldn't believe the car still had four wheels, so far up in the air I'd been thrown, but I finished off the lap with no further incidents. On lap #3 at Ascari I ran wide and just touched the right rear wheel against the final inch of the barrier, twitching the car just a tiny bit. In two weeks of laps I'd never hit that Armco a single time. Now my hands were shaking and I was mere yards behind Andrew. Steady, Pepe, I told myself, easing back across to the left side of the back straight and almost immediately hitting my teammate's overtaking Ferrari. We call ourselves All-Ways Racing, but watching Niky's car sliding upside down on the back straight I often think I shouldn't be racing at all.

#7 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Pepe,

After being lesmo'd I was down 10-15mph through Ascari from my top mid-corner speed but I didn't have enough  trust in the situation that I could get passed by two cars with me on the outside so I held my line for safety's sake. Given what I'd done in Q I thought it was prudent. I stayed to the right on the grass after exit but then everything went quiet. It is one of those things that can happen when you have three cars close together,  a wall tap and a speed differential.

AH

#8 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

I'm sorry I couldn't race today. I've honestly missed the call.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#9 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Spent a lot of time working on learning how to finish this race with the Honda.  It is capable of getting below 1.30.   But the tires will overheat and the engine will give up rather quickly.  I watched Doni's laps in D1 and decided to follow his example.
Qualified 11th with a 1:30.5. I was worried about the start because I knew my race pace would  be much slower than most of the cars behind me. That didn't seem to be a problem but I was too close to a couple early collisions.   Ended up behind Don and Andrew in their Honda's.  I wonder if I should have been less aggressive in the Parabolica. Sorry guys.  From there my only concern was the faster cars behind me who were recovering from shunts.  Treated my engine gently and finished.

Edited by bobho-in, 02 November 2017 - 07:02 AM.

It Doesn’t Matter How Slow You Go, As Long As You Don’t Stop - Confucius

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

I got squeezed into the hedges at the side of the circuit by Oud, which was very disappointing.  I was able to limp back to the pits on three wheels for a reset, but that certainly put me out of the points.  No hard feelings Tames, but the thing that really bothers me is that I had 3 severe problems, a medium problem and engine problem which will cost a bundle and TAMES SUFFERED NO DAMAGE!  LOL.

I’ve always felt that if I couldn’t see a car in my mirrors, it was beside me and this certainly proves that.  The incident bothers me less than getting damage that we have to pay for at no fault of my own.

So after resetting in the pits, I set off and managed to catch Hutchinson and Holada.  Andrew just let me past which denied me the fun of figuring out a way to pass.  Holada held me off for a couple of laps but I capitalized on a bobble of his exiting Lesmos 2.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#11 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Hi guys, really enjoyed this race, started near the back, as is my usual habit, managed to pass the Honda’s that were in front, and Niky's Ferrari, and another Ferrari, which turned out to be Bruce on the outside of turn 1.

Then on lap 2 at the second Lesmo Pepe, and Cladio had a coming together, i managed to get inside them, Bruce get by on the out side, if you haven’t seen it you should take a look, if you believe in luck it was with us both there, it was like something out of an action movie, you couldn’t make it up.

The rest of the race was mainly taken up with me trying to stay ahead of Bruce who was quicker than me, so as he said his chance came at Ascari, he came up alongside me going under the bridge, I was expecting Bruce to turn in at the 100 yard marker, where i would, but he missed it, Bruce is a good driver I really did not expect him to miss the turn in, but i have to say here, for every one to see, when I’m racing for position I don’t move off line to let someone go past!, being lapped is another story,  but that’s not racing for position.

So started 15th, finished 4th, ill take that any day :yeah: would have been 5th, but for John having the misfortune of the disco.

Edited by timbo, 01 October 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#12 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

Monza's race left me with different feelings: anger, because I could have finished in 5th or 6th position, I finished 9th with one lap less; joy, because being able to have finished with the destroyed Brabham in the 1st or 2nd lap, I finished with the car in one piece, although a little dented.
I stared  quite slow and lost a position (well done Bruce), which I recovered in Curva Grande, but to avoid bumping behind Bob, I brake with both feet in Lesmo 1 and finished in the grass (first big fright). On the 2nd lap, a few meters ahead (the exit of Lesmo 2) I had a touch with Pepe (I think it was a racing incident), almost ruined the race for several friends, but fortunately the only seriously injured was me, because I was last and far away (the car miraculously with minor damages according to the Reply Analizer). And finally on lap 3, in Parabolic I find a car with the wheels up to the right and another on the right that circulated slow, coming out of that accident surely, again braking hard, sand, grass, bush and other to start again to recover. All the rest of the race, 37 laps, it was tried to recover the 5 or 6 seconds that I took Pepe. I could only reach him in the last 5 laps. I had only one place to pass it to him: brake earlier on Lesmo 2 and accelerate earlier on the exit there, and try to brake as deep as possible in Parabolic. But in the end the accelerated in Lesmo 2 unbalanced the car and that ended with any possibility of passing to Pepe. Well done Pepe !!!.
Congratulations to the men of Podium, and especially to my teammate Ed for his fabulous race.

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 01 October 2017 - 09:29 AM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#13 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostClaudio Pablo Navonne, on 01 October 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Well done Pepe !!!.

You're not only gracious, Claudio, but generous as well. I still feel responsibility for the L2 disaster in Lesmo 2 because 1) I was w-a-y off my line and 2) I didn't hold the crappy line that I was on by keeping to the left until the faster cars next to me and behind me could safely avoid me. This unfortunately seems to be a recurring theme with me: As long as I have the time and the patience to deal with another car one on one (whether overtaking or being overtaken), I'm usually all right. But when, as happened yesterday on laps two and three, I do something wrong and the roof instantly falls in, I turn my car into guided missile that is liable to hit anything within a half-mile radius. I've programmed a button on the wheel to alternate between helicopter and cockpit views, I use ear buds to block out ambient sound, and I try to maintain as much situational awareness as a g1 driver can have, but it's agonizingly clear to me that I still have a long, long way to go.

That having been said, in those last 36 laps you were never more than six seconds behind me and, believe me, I was acutely aware of that. When the 2-3-4 drivers (John, Alex, and Roberto) overtook me in a knot with about five laps to go, I initially thought that you had been part of that group. Then I realized to my horror that you were still behind me, not six seconds back but one. What?! I was able to hold you off, but that's because although you're normally at least three seconds/lap faster anywhere than I am, I had the Lotus on the front and back straights and you the BT24. If I'm in the Cooper yesterday, I finish 12th. Case closed.  :)

#14 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

Pepe well done again
1st -Lesmo 2: racing accident.
2nd -Lotus or no Lotus you did not make big mistakes for 31 laps, and in the 5 that I was right behind you I could not force you to commit either .
Pepe: Well done again!!

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 01 October 2017 - 04:48 PM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#15 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Fun race.  Qual a little below my expectation, but acceptable here, 3rd. At strart I was burnt by John who took off as an aircraft, so I approached curva grande 4th behind Alex. Since then started a fun duel with Alex, knowing that having some horses less, I had to be as much as possible close to him to take the lipstream for hoping to overtake him. Just a couple of times I was able to do that, the most remarkable in the back straight after ascari, I arrived at side of Alex at parabolica braking, but I could not brake late because out of trajectory, therefore the overtaking was not completed. Some lap after Alex was wide at curva grande so I gained the 3rd. But only for a while because at Lesmo I my braking was not effective so I spun and Alex took again the 3rd. After that we continued for almost all the race in these position up to 4 or 5 lap to the flag when Alex went wide at Lesmo I and I got again the 3rd. Then just in the final lap I realised that John was missing, then I got the 2nd place, but really not deserved.
Congratulation to Ed for the clear win and Alex for the podium, very sorry for John's bad luck

Ciao
Roberto

Edited by Baldassarri, 01 October 2017 - 04:44 PM.

#16 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

Good Result

Needed a good result here to stray in touch with the top 3 in the Championship after Alex killed us at Mosport .
Qualy went well Pole. Only 7/10th separated the top 4.
On to the race John was wearing me like a glove, on lap 7 had a great run on me into Parabolica and took the lead.
Next lap got a good run on him down the front straight and gain it back. Thinking this was going to be a very interesting race
between the Eagle boys.Seeing Alex and Rob was keep each other company. After that just kept my head down and tried not to make any (big) mistakes.
Had a small gap on John 4 to 5 sec and it stayed that way until John disco on lap 36 (Unlucky Mate :wounded1: )
Wow only 4/10th between the fastest race lap.

I was jealous of Alex and Robs race Awesome Guys

Special mention
Tim started 15th finished 4th :showoff: Just WoW mate.

Sim Racing Links