Technical Issues & Damage Bills

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Technical Issues & Damage Bills (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Agree?

1. Yes (16 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. No (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

So, for the last two races, I have been forced to retire from the race due to an online issue.

- First at Mosport there was warp contact between me and Gerd, where I got flung into the wall and had to retire.
- At Monza I collided with my teammate after he disappeared for several seconds and returned when were basically inside each others cars.

In both cases I had to end my race prematurely because of reasons beyond my fault and there was impotence at play.

These things can happen at online racing and it is frustrating.
But what annoys me more is that the damages that come with it costs coins.
As I stated, these happened a moments where I could do very little about. I feel that I, and by extension my team, have been quite duped by this.
It is unfair that someone has to get such consequences for things they can't really be held responsible for and it should change.

Which I why I suggest that in case of such events when one or more drivers fall victim from lag, glitches, etc. that the incidents should be reviewed,
and a clause can be applied which suspends the damages that have come with it.

While I can accept with happened between me and Gerd, since I could have given slightly more space (despite no actual contact was made),
I felt what happened at Monza was very unlucky and unpredictable moment and can be seen as a moment where the clause could be applied.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

These side-by-side lag contacts happen sometimes by racing (to) close on a very international server. Often the car on the outside has to concede either give plenty room. It was close between Roy and me also at T1 Mosport I think, but Roy gave that extra bit of room on the outside.

What happened at Monza was a freak accident. Very unlucky. I'd have no problem making an exception, but where do you draw the line? Also it will give more work for the admins.

But in this situation where Vulture Racing is almost broke due to such a freak accident I wouldn't mind if the Ferrari damage is undone...

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

As Robert says... it was freak.. unlucky (to the 2 team drivers?!)  and EXACTLY what he says "where do you draw the line?"
as the guy that has to judge that, i'd first have to have some appeal made.
ok, it might not ever happen, and we do have a situation in D2 for poor judgement by one driver causing a 2d driver to be eliminated, the 2d being given a 'free' Sh-R

it does not happen often either, so i'm not opposed to such an idea.
but since i'm TL of Vulture, i'm going to have to let the votes determine if it happens or not and at this time, the decision is critical for the team to know, before the D2 monza race.
do i practice in Brabham?
do we have an unscratched Ferrari?
how much damage was done to the Honda? any? some? only after Michiel carried on THEN crashed (possibly due to the contact with Yannick?)  that's the concern i have. both might have continued, briefly THEN lose control and smash, either alone or into someone else.  how do we untangle all that?

again, League decides... but think of big picture, not just how it affects one car/one situation.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#4 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:58 AM

I think in the end we all drive for fun.
Those situations can effect that so i think its good to make an exception so i also wouldn't mind to undone the damage in this case.

#5 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

I think the race steward committee may be able to help, ( though I have not discussed this with the other members.)  We would use the same protest form that is in the system for protests against other drivers but it would be a protest against GPL (or the track).  Other details would have to be determined.  And there would be no guarantee as to how fast a decision would be made. As far as yesterdays race I really don't want to say. I did view the replay and looked at the Honda /Ferrari incident..

Edited by bobho-in, 25 September 2017 - 09:20 AM.

It Doesn’t Matter How Slow You Go, As Long As You Don’t Stop - Confucius

#6 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

What am I agreeing to?
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#7 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

Eric, to clarify...

The proposal to:
- Allow all drivers/teams to report to stewards when he/a teammember gets victimized by online glitches and were forced to retire with damage to car. (e.g. what happened to me & Michiel at Monza.)
    - The moment will be reviewed. It is then up to
      decide whether the victimized driver/team has to
      pay for damages or not, depending on the situation.

It is still the question where to draw the line. I think warp contact for example may not be of enough value, but what happened to me with Michiel might be sufficient for lifting the bills of the Ferrari, given the circumstances.

Reason for this is because occassionally someone retires due to online glitches (like warp, cars disappearing out of nowhere and reappear on very inconvinient moments), something they cant do anything about, and then get a damage bill along with it. It seems unfair which is why I opened this discussion.

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 24 September 2017 - 03:10 PM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#8 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

I voted 'No'.  Poo happens.  You just have to accept fate.

#9 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

I am OK with this if it applies to incidents not caused by minor warping.  In this case it seems to me that more cautious driving would have been of no help whatsoever.

Edited by BurtAugust, 24 September 2017 - 05:45 PM.

#10 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

I think- it's the problem about lag, ad you crash your car only for that problem, the race its over for you, but dont have  "cost" in coins, for that situation, loose the race, but not loose the coins.
Posted Image[img

#11 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

I cant see this being applied consistently, so no. I'm with Donnie on this, sheep happens and over time it averages out anyway.
I just wanna race

#12 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

I think justice consists of nothing more than treating like cases alike. If a complaint arises, if it is reviewed by people who understand the universe of factors involved, and if they can agree that a waiver is warranted in the case at hand because a waiver was warranted in a similar case before, I could never complain about that. I ask only that I not be nominated to be on that committee.

#13 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:29 PM

I voted yes but I don't really have any strong opinion either way.

I think as Bob H said It could be covered by the race stewards on a case by case basis like any other reported incident. It was probably slightly unusual in this case in as much as both of those affected belonged to the same team but generally I would be in favour of damages etc being waived in the event of a non fault incident like this. (Warp, disappearing / re appearing cars).

Damages only relating to the actual incident obviously. Any other incidents of throwing cars at scenery etc during the race would still apply and be totalled as normal.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#14 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:39 AM

I agree with John, which is why I didn't vote.

#15 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:17 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 24 September 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

I voted 'No'.  Poo happens.  You just have to accept fate.

Donnie, my -66 coins balance caused by "poo happens" is a clear proof that what you said isn't true at all.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

Sim Racing Links